Mr Motivator

Iron Bru Forums Blast Furnace Mr Motivator

• Author
    FerriteFerrite
    Participant
    Registered On: December 23, 2013
    Topics: 101

Really impressive words from our new manager on the No. 1 Scunthorpe United podcast. Makes such a refreshing change to hear someone as clear-minded as Butler who sounds positive and makes other people feel better too, unlike the last manager who just seemed to moan and sound overwhelmed by the job. Obviously there’s more to the job than just talking but I feel better about our chances for next season on the basis of Butler’s attitude and leadership.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    fans6464
    Registered On: February 14, 2015
    Topics: 444
    SideriteSiderite
    Participant
    Registered On: December 12, 2014
    Topics: 78

The humility of Michelle is such a change after the previous two egos. No need for brags or reminders about how she saved the club and we should be forever grateful. The primary focus is on righting the club and steering it in the right direction, not basking in being the saviour or bragging about how she saved the club, so we shouldn’t question anything. We can and should be grateful, I don’t see much to question or complain about, but this mindset is best for leadership and ensuring the decisions are the best ones.

11 users thanked author for this post.
    PaulSanfran49
    Participant
    Topics: 70

A great podcast and I hope the season starts with 1/ An attack minded approach with 2 up top the majority of time. I also expect the teams instructions to be too win ALL games. No targeting, No tip tap passing and the basics being greatly improved – can’t pass a ball then you do not played.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    fans6464

I’m shocked by the straight and frank way they describe how they just worked through stuff in a workmanlike manor .there’s a lot of guff in football from fans about passion ,when they mean overt chest beating, but these people have it and a huge work ethic combined .I hope there’s no more surprises and they succeed.

6 users thanked author for this post.
    Deereyme66Deereyme66
    Registered On: May 8, 2017

Ditto all the comments above and credit to the two Matt’s for engineering and production. There was clearly a lot of warmth, honesty and trust in the room which speaks volumes. Looking forward to the next one with club officials already.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    FerriteFerrite
    Participant

Word for Roj Rahman too, I don’t know him but he came across really well in that interview, particularly the way he deferred to Michelle Harness and spoke about the different directors having different areas of responsibility; I think that’s important, and shows that people are all pulling in the same direction.

The contrast to the last 2 owners, who both wanted to make it all about them, is incredible. Talking frankly, not hiding behind phrases like “I’ll be as honest with you as I can”, not looking to find excuses. Really positive stuff, despite all the problems which they are still facing.

I’d love to know how much the talents of people like Michelle were harnessed (pun intended) under Swann’s ownership. I certainly have my suspicions….

7 users thanked author for this post.
    Deereyme66Deereyme66
    Registered On: May 8, 2017

Certainly welcome after Mr my way or the highway and Mr unspeakable words.

This podcast episode is better than any purpose built tool for encouraging potential new supporters, sponsors and funders. A valuable legacy and archive piece too.

wotnowbrncowwotnowbrncow
    Participant
    Registered On: February 1, 2019
    Topics: 1

Word for Roj Rahman too, I don’t know him but he came across really well in that interview, particularly the way he deferred to Michelle Harness and spoke about the different directors having different areas of responsibility; I think that’s important, and shows that people are all pulling in the same direction.

The contrast to the last 2 owners, who both wanted to make it all about them, is incredible. Talking frankly, not hiding behind phrases like “I’ll be as honest with you as I can”, not looking to find excuses. Really positive stuff, despite all the problems which they are still facing.

I’d love to know how much the talents of people like Michelle were harnessed (pun intended) under Swann’s ownership. I certainly have my suspicions….

Completely agree about Roj, first time I’ve heard him speak but listening to him talk about what would be lost in terms of history and legacy if the club were to fold shows that he just ‘gets it’. Clearly sees the board as a custodians of a community asset and understands the responsibility that comes with that, really encouraging stuff.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    fans6464

The two Matt’s didn’t have to say much,I’d say this was somewhat cathartic for Michelle

IronaweIronawe
    Participant
    Registered On: December 31, 2013
    Topics: 40

Just how low did Hilton stoop? That guy needs stringing up and parading through Scunny high street. I do hope Karma returns the favour.

ironfromafarironfromafar
    Participant
    Registered On: October 10, 2021
    Topics: 19

WOW. listened to that from afar and feel a bit humble.. well done to all to get this podcast aired and put everything into propective.. our club is in very safe hands

UTI

Iron-aweIron-awe
    Participant
    Registered On: June 21, 2017
    Topics: 11

The bit about still paying off Swans former pitch renovations was very revealing about how far the debt problem went back, unbelievable really but I’m guessing we should not be that shocked his PR was his strong point in the early days, we all know different now.

WonderGoalsWonderGoals
    Participant
    Registered On: December 27, 2013
    Topics: 90

Michelle said all the rest of the debts owed have 3 more payments left, so going by that we will in deed be out of most, if not all of the debts.

Still can’t quite believe it.

lesgeolesgeo
    Participant
    Registered On: December 25, 2013
    Topics: 96

She should be in the next Honours List.

FerriteFerrite
    Participant

Michelle said all the rest of the debts owed have 3 more payments left, so going by that we will in deed be out of most, if not all of the debts.

That’s not quite what I heard. I heard her say we still owe £300k and that some of them are being managed, like the electricity bill.

WestyorksironWestyorksiron
    Participant
    Registered On: October 13, 2021
    Topics: 1

Listening to that podcast made me proud to be a Scunny fan. The work Michelle and the board have done is inspiring. Crucially they give the club credibility, that encouraged those 3 individuals to donate 100k each and the council to spend millions of government cash on buying the ground to ultimately save the club.
    Much rather have what we now have than owners with no connection to the club, totting up unaffordable debts for short term glory and their ego.

Apollo11Apollo11
    Participant
    Registered On: September 21, 2023
    Topics: 37

I’m shocked by the straight and frank way they describe how they just worked through stuff in a workmanlike manor .there’s a lot of guff in football from fans about passion ,when they mean overt chest beating, but these people have it and a huge work ethic combined .I hope there’s no more surprises and they succeed.

I actually felt quite emotional listening to the podcast. In particular this was down to Michelle’s dedication and her utter lack of pretentiousness.

She is also the first Chair of the club that I can ever recall describing it as belonging to the town and its people more than it belongs to (her as) an individual – and meaning it.

We should all be humbled that we have such a person at the helm.

4 users thanked author for this post.
    lesgeolesgeo
    Participant
    Registered On: December 25, 2013
    Topics: 96

Now all we need is for these attitudes to be set in stone for all future generations.

Apollo11Apollo11
    Participant
    Registered On: September 21, 2023
    Topics: 37

Now all we need is for these attitudes to be set in stone for all future generations.

I feel fairly confident that Michelle and this Board will succeed in their aim of bringing the club into the black and making it sustainable. I’m also confident that she will put things in place to make sure that we’re protected for the future. I don’t know how those things will look, but the CIC owning the ground might be an indicator.

WonderGoalsWonderGoals
    Participant
    Registered On: December 27, 2013
    Topics: 90

That’s not quite what I heard. I heard her say we still owe £300k and that some of them are being managed, like the electricity bill.

I recall her saying she had a little stack of bill papers left on the desk to work though and they have 3 payments left. There will indeed be some left over though somewhere down the line, but let’s not split hairs.

I did say we would be out of most of the debts.

Still quite impressive, is it not ?

FerriteFerrite
    Participant

It is incredibly impressive, but saying “3 more payments left” makes it seem a bit rosier than it actually is, which is not to say that we are in a much better position than 8 months ago.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.