More clueless Hilton or Dean??

Iron Bru Forums Blast Furnace More clueless Hilton or Dean??

• Author
    NorthumbironNorthumbiron
    Registered On: January 3, 2014
    Topics: 66

Do you agree next season will be a proper yardstick of the new owner and manager, as Peter Levy says ad nauseum on his Look North interviews it’s just a yes or no question?

No so much of a yardstick as a metre rule. It’s a completely different league with a number of part time teams.

Both owner and manager has been found to be out of their depth in this league.

Not certain that NL(N) we be a paddling pool!

So do you mean NI that if we do well next year and get promoted, Dean and Hilton won’t have proved anything until they manage to stay up in the National League the season after. Well if that’s your logic fine.

The logic (not that logic applies where football is concerned) is this.

As myself and others have eluded to, our club under it’s new ownership and management has not reacted to the challenge of getting out of the relegation zone in the same way sides around us have, notably Gateshead and Torquay, but also the likes of Dorking and Oldham.

That’s a fact, we’re gonners!

My own personal opinion (though I doubt I’m alone) is that our new incumbents have found the National League a bit of a bridge too far as their previous experience was someway further down the league pyramid.

Sorry, but you cannot big up successes at Ilkeston and Peterborough Sports and contrast them with failures at L1, L2 and NL levels. Winning the Southern League Div 1 Central does not prepare you for the challenge of the EFL. I have nothing against Dean or Hilton and am sure that they are genuine guys wanting to do the best for SUFC.

BUT! At this moment in time it is my opinion that they do not as yet possess the expertise required to do anything with our rag-tag bunch of no-hopers.

Can they turn it around in a lower division? Possibly! But NL(N) is still a step up from where both manager and chairman have been for the previous few years.

I remain pessimistic about our future (but that’s just me) and have grave concerns about whether or not we can bring in the calibre of players to turn our fortunes around.

But to answer the question, no I would say promotion from the NL(N) would prove they do have the ability. We know from this season what is needed to boss the NL.

This thread btw is becoming toxic, and there have been a number of complaints lodged regarding bad language and abuse. No need for it guys so please think before posting.

Ilkeston Town may well be a shining example of a well run part time outfit, but we are not them we are Scunthorpe United. Comparison is nothing but a red herring. We have to forge our own identity and hopefully this is what Mr Hilton will strive to do once the takeover is finalised next month.

UTI

5 users thanked author for this post.
    Deereyme66Deereyme66
    Registered On: May 8, 2017
    Topics: 101

Imagine what this forum would be like at present if people didn’t have to set up accounts and log in every time they posted!

1 user thanked author for this post.
    cassidystashcassidystash
    Participant
    Registered On: January 4, 2014
    Topics: 104

CMC & CASSIDYSTASH
    You have forced me out of my retirement in order to leave with questions unanswered.
    Cassidystash, moving to Ilkeston was a cost cutting exercise to help the finances of Scunny… and closing a loss making stadium in the week was the same reason… you are a low level non league club, not a championship club… spend accordingly and you won’t go bust!
    CMC This week (Tues) we held the Derbyshire FA under 18 Cup final… at their request, it pissed it down, but the crowd was good, the bar was packed, the kitchen sold out, the atmosphere was electric and a good time was had by all (anything happen at Glanford Park Tues?)…yesterday we entertained 911 fans at our ground, once again, great atmosphere, bars busy, kitchens unable to cope,

Thanks for coming out of retirement Patrick but you still haven’t answered my question. As to the activity at your ground, an excellent initiative. Was it organised by the supporters or staff at the club? Either way it would be difficult at a ground only open every other Saturday which, if you remember, was the concern expressed by Iron supporters.

ironinsideriron insider
    Blocked
    Registered On: August 19, 2019
    Topics: 29

Cost cutting yet ilsons grass pitch needed 30000 on renovation to get up to standard……!

Patrick0811Patrick0811
    Participant
    Registered On: March 30, 2023
    Topics: 0

Cassidystash
    I understand people being concerned about the ground being closed all week, in my opinion it is something that would be temporary until it could be transformed into a profitable situation.
    At Ilkeston we all work together for the sake of the club, full time staff and volunteer’s, for example our bar manager also looks after the pitch, the barmaids can drop on to the catering, who ever is spare might clean the toilets, we have volunteer’s who Man the club shop, ones who do the secretarial work, ones who Man the turnstiles, ones that act as stewards, we even have a couple of guys who come and clean the car parks and light gardening duties after home games.
    At our level, and your level now I suppose, it is very costly to have full time staff that generate no money for the club, or worse still make a big loss!
    I have seen your facilities and know with your fantastic fan base that I could turn your restaurant in to a good profitable business, I am the catering manager at Ilkeston and do that now, with a much smaller fan base, our kitchens and bars keep our heads above water all the time, we do not rely on matchdays alone, we are always hosting some event or another,yesterday for example one of our junior teams played here and won their game to win the league this year, our ladies team also played and won their league as well (but an away match), on Saturday after a very busy day we hosted a private party in the clubhouse till silly O’Clock.
    All this fund raising for our club has Been built up over the last few years, and could easily be reproduced at your ground with the right supervision, staff, and determination.
    We have 2 very well furnished hospitality rooms with a bar and food counter that company’s pay a lot each week to entertain their guests, with a raised viewing section to see the game… very, very posh.
    They are booked far far in advance by local businesses.
    If your interested and because its my field I will post and tell you how to turn your restaurant into profit?, reading posts from Scunthorpe it appears to be losing money?, why would anyone in their right mind keep it open to employ, and not upset, old Joe bloggs, who has worked there years causing the fans to take to their keyboards and slate the chairman!
    Your Chairman knows Jack shit about catering and running a restaurant, but he does know who to ask to look at it with a view to turning it around, I would imagine it is very low on his things to do at the moment, but when it does come to the top of the list it will be sorted…. do you keep it open until then and keep losing money?… or do you close it? ….until it can be turned around?….. same with the club shop, etc, you have the potential there to turn your stadium into a gold mine in my opinion… just no , or the wrong miners to mine it.
    As I have said previously, I would have liked to have shown some scunny fans our ground, facilities, and the place in general,
    It is most certainly not what one muppet described yesterday, mind you he did mention he found plenty on spice around here?…. think I might find plenty in Scunthorpe…. if I was looking for it as well!

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Iron-aweIron-awe
    Participant
    Registered On: June 21, 2017
    Topics: 11

We have plenty of chip spice, I’ve seen it on Carvers menu loads of times.

AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant
    Registered On: June 20, 2017
    Topics: 160

Well we’ll be playing in a friendly there in July so I’ll have a look then, will we have access to all parts of the ground for the bars and catering do you have real ales?

Patrick0811Patrick0811
    Participant

Awaywego
    Pleased you have told me about the friendly… I did not know.
    It will be great to host you, I personally will give you and up to three others of your choice a full tour of the ground, you can see everything, no exceptions, and I will give all four of you one of my Cheeseburgers at the end of the tour, they are in my opinion the best you will get at any football ground, that opinion is echoed every week from the visiting fans, along with the price being far lower than they have been charged elsewhere….
    We at Ilkeston have only ever wanted to firm a friendly bond with Scunthorpe due to obviously Mr Hiltins connection to both… a bit like the twin town scenario, you are, and always will be, a far bigger club than us, we know that and clubs at all levels have a club they help and recieve help.
    I shall only reply on here to ghe person I name on my reply, and who has requested a reply from me… finally I am not sure what ales we have?…. I don’t deal with the bar, tonight when I go to the club (we have power league games on a Monday evening) I will send a list of the ales on offer.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Patrick0811Patrick0811
    Participant

Awaywego

Maltsmiths Lager, San Miguel,Carling, East Coast IPA,John Smiths, Stowford Press Cider, Guiness, all draught plus a selection of bottled beer and your usual alcopop type drinks.
    Decent selection of top shelf shorts.

Interested BystanderInterested Bystander
    Participant
    Registered On: April 9, 2023
    Topics: 15

Ironfromafar
    Your post is an excellent one, constructive criticism is always good, not that you have been very critical.
    You are correct about me knowing Mr Hilton very well, therefore it can be frustrating to see criticism from all quarters for just about anything he does, or doesn’t do ?
    Your assessment of the gamble he took to stay up is 100% correct, and your other thoughts are spot on as well.
    If you and any friends want to visit Ilkeston anytime you are very welcome, I have some wonderful ideas that would benefit both our clubs (innovative pioneering interaction that someone like yourself would quickly grasp).
    I am the catering manager at Ilkeston, which you see if you visit?, and not Mr Hilton masquerading as someone else, as has been suggested by some on here.
    Ilkeston is a hive of activity everyday of the week, so any day is fine to see the running of the club, and if Mr Hilton is left to get on with things you may well find Scunthorpe will follow the model we have…. self suffient, susstainable and a very positive buzz from the staff, players, and most importantly the fans.

Welcome, Pat.

Catering Manager? Now that has put a smile on my face because the last time I saw you, you were in the back of a van (no, not that type), a burger van.

Your loyalty to Hilton is beyond question though I will take into consideration who you are related to and that it appears you have one eye on some catering gig at Glanford Park.

However, may I refer you to this website (https://whocallsme.com/Phone-Number.aspx/08456806308) which was started back in December 2011, long before Hilton’s links to Ilkeston, Bury and Scunthorpe. I’m not sure “troll” was even a word back then either.

There are two names mentioned within the thread which you will be familiar with. I would like you to look at one particular post by an “Andrew Nally” on page 23, dated 30/10/14. Can you offer an explanation or some insight relating to what the poster “Andrew Nally” was referring to?

ironfromafarironfromafar
    Participant
    Registered On: October 10, 2021
    Topics: 19

From a believer …..love your long and spine tingling replies Patrick.. i can only sssume you must have a few spare hours to compos thereto . sat hunched over your Ilkeston office catering data base shrouded computer wearing only football socks n a chefs hat whilst surfing Nigela Lawson greatest tits.

Actually i agree with many things you say.alas its the footy im more bothered about JD n the team winning not how many starters , mains n desserts we can flog .

Love your spunk thoin support of the Ilseston fc ……. the holy land

sozz a bit pissed when pstin

NorthumbironNorthumbiron
    Registered On: January 3, 2014
    Topics: 66

Maltsmiths Lager, San Miguel, Carling, East Coast IPA,John Smiths, Stowford Press Cider, Guinness, all draught.

Nitro Keg actually!

CMCCMC
    Participant
    Registered On: July 14, 2022
    Topics: 32

Cassidystash
    I understand people being concerned about the ground being closed all week, in my opinion it is something that would be temporary until it could be transformed into a profitable situation.
    At Ilkeston we all work together for the sake of the club, full time staff and volunteer’s, for example our bar manager also looks after the pitch, the barmaids can drop on to the catering, who ever is spare might clean the toilets, we have volunteer’s who Man the club shop, ones who do the secretarial work, ones who Man the turnstiles, ones that act as stewards, we even have a couple of guys who come and clean the car parks and light gardening duties after home games.
    At our level, and your level now I suppose, it is very costly to have full time staff that generate no money for the club, or worse still make a big loss!
    I have seen your facilities and know with your fantastic fan base that I could turn your restaurant in to a good profitable business, I am the catering manager at Ilkeston and do that now, with a much smaller fan base, our kitchens and bars keep our heads above water all the time, we do not rely on matchdays alone, we are always hosting some event or another,yesterday for example one of our junior teams played here and won their game to win the league this year, our ladies team also played and won their league as well (but an away match), on Saturday after a very busy day we hosted a private party in the clubhouse till silly O’Clock.
    All this fund raising for our club has Been built up over the last few years, and could easily be reproduced at your ground with the right supervision, staff, and determination.
    We have 2 very well furnished hospitality rooms with a bar and food counter that company’s pay a lot each week to entertain their guests, with a raised viewing section to see the game… very, very posh.
    They are booked far far in advance by local businesses.
    If your interested and because its my field I will post and tell you how to turn your restaurant into profit?, reading posts from Scunthorpe it appears to be losing money?, why would anyone in their right mind keep it open to employ, and not upset, old Joe bloggs, who has worked there years causing the fans to take to their keyboards and slate the chairman!
    Your Chairman knows Jack shit about catering and running a restaurant, but he does know who to ask to look at it with a view to turning it around, I would imagine it is very low on his things to do at the moment, but when it does come to the top of the list it will be sorted…. do you keep it open until then and keep losing money?… or do you close it? ….until it can be turned around?….. same with the club shop, etc, you have the potential there to turn your stadium into a gold mine in my opinion… just no , or the wrong miners to mine it.
    As I have said previously, I would have liked to have shown some scunny fans our ground, facilities, and the place in general,
    It is most certainly not what one muppet described yesterday, mind you he did mention he found plenty on spice around here?…. think I might find plenty in Scunthorpe…. if I was looking for it as well!

Catering Manager?
    Muppets?
    Are you the Swedish Chef then?

Deereyme66Deereyme66

Maltsmiths Lager, San Miguel, Carling, East Coast IPA,John Smiths, Stowford Press Cider, Guinness, all draught.

Nitro Keg actually!

True, but most of it nicer than Iron Bar draught options. I’m surprised the subject of ‘beer’ wasn’t higher up the PR onslaught tbh. Hearts and minds are swayed by it.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    Registered On:
    Topics: 18

@ Patrick

Why the big fluctuations in home attendances?
    Free tickets to school kids?
    Complementaries to friends & families of players?
    Footy for a fiver type offers?
    What’s the largest number of away fans a team has brought this season?

3 Aug Leiston 668
    20 Aug Redditch United 639
    29 Aug Mickleover 882
    20 Sep Anstey Nomads 561
    27 Sep Stratford Town 522
    4 Oct St Ives Town 442
    22 Oct Bromsgrove Sporting 704
    25 Oct Stourbridge 513
    5 Nov Hitchin Town 607
    19 Nov Barwell 522
    26 Nov Kings Langley 1,183
    10 Dec Tamworth 782
    17 Dec Alvechurch 741
    26 Dec Basford United 1,001
    7 Jan AFC Rushden & Diamonds 1,320
    28 Jan Coalville Town 982
    11 Feb Bedford Town 715
    25 Feb Rushall Olympic 602
    11 Mar Needham Market 614
    18 Mar Royston Town 463
    8 Apr Hednesford Town 637
    15 Apr Nuneaton Borough 901

Lowest 442
    Highest 1320

That’s three times the bodies. How many did R&D bring that day?

Is it a fickle fan base that picks and chooses its games or & is adverse to a bit of rain or a cold North Easterly?

How many season ticket holders does the club have this season?

What’s the admission price for a (non-concession) 21-65 year old in the seated main stand?

TIA.

Deereyme66Deereyme66

Okay, the Maltsmiths and the IPA draught

Patrick0811Patrick0811
    Participant

Hi Maximus
    I suspect the fluctuation is largely due to us being more or less an equal distance from Nottingham Forest and Derby County, most of our fans also support one or the other of these teams, many season ticket holders, for example if Derby play on a Friday night and forest play on the Sunday our attendance that Saturday will be higher, of course if either or both play on Saturday we will have less fans, we do not segregate the away fans so they are counted on entry, you can though have a rough guess if they all congregate in one area, I am not in control of these things so just giving my opinion…for what it’s worth?

Anonymous
    Inactive
    Registered On:
    Topics: 18

So who’s more clueless… this pretender Dean or the man who put him in charge and allowed him to deliver absolutely nothing!!

Laurel or Hardy
    Fred (Flintstone) or Barney (Rubble)
    Bill or Ben
    Shaggy or Scooby
    Dick Dastardly or Muttley

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.