More clueless Hilton or Dean??

Iron Bru Forums Blast Furnace More clueless Hilton or Dean??

• Author
    Patrick0811Patrick0811
    Participant
    Registered On: March 30, 2023
    Topics: 0

Lord Kitchener
    The idea of training at Ilkeston was a temporary cost cutting decision whilst the club adjusted to the rebuilding.
    And no one has ever suggested any other.
    It’s not going to happen now so no worries.
    But Scunthorpe will need to cost cut somewhere to balance the books don’t you think?
    A successful club means more chance of a successful team, regarding the Solihull game it was my personal opinion that not winning that game was pivotal in the poor finish to the season, and yes the player who rebounded the ball into the net was very sharp…credit to him.

Deereyme66Deereyme66
    Registered On: May 8, 2017
    Topics: 101

Agree with all Lks post apart from the ‘corruption’ bit.

SODIronSODIron
    Participant
    Registered On: July 8, 2014
    Topics: 22

People are right to question Dean’s managerial ability, the results over the last five matches have been thus;

0-4, 0-0, 0-1, 0-2, 0-2

That’s one point from a possible 15, and zero goals scored.

We all want him to do well, as this would mean that we are getting decent results and the club would be climbing the table. The issue that many fans have is that we seem to be getting worse, week on week, and Dean appears to be unable to arrest the decline.

David Hilton took a gamble on Jimmy Dean and backed him with signings. It is clear to all but the most blinkered of supporters that the gamble did not pay off. Can Jimmy Dean turn things around? I hope so, however from what I have seen so far, I am sceptical.

These are my beliefs based on the results and performances I have seen over the last few months. Sadly I missed the Wealdstone win, in which I believe, we actually played well and looked cohesive. Since then we have definitely gone backwards.

If stating this makes me a troll, then so be it.

5 users thanked author for this post.
    Deereyme66Deereyme66
    Registered On: May 8, 2017
    Topics: 101

Calling longstanding Iron supporters trolls and the other abuse is out of order, end of. Not helpful, divisive and inappropriate, to put it politely.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    CMCCMC
    Participant
    Registered On: July 14, 2022
    Topics: 32

Oh dear what a complete s***show!

ironfromafarironfromafar
    Participant
    Registered On: October 10, 2021
    Topics: 19

Ironfromafar
    Your post is an excellent one, constructive criticism is always good, not that you have been very critical.
    You are correct about me knowing Mr Hilton very well, therefore it can be frustrating to see criticism from all quarters for just about anything he does, or doesn’t do ?
    Your assessment of the gamble he took to stay up is 100% correct, and your other thoughts are spot on as well.
    If you and any friends want to visit Ilkeston anytime you are very welcome, I have some wonderful ideas that would benefit both our clubs (innovative pioneering interaction that someone like yourself would quickly grasp).
    I am the catering manager at Ilkeston, which you see if you visit?, and not Mr Hilton masquerading as someone else, as has been suggested by some on here.
    Ilkeston is a hive of activity everyday of the week, so any day is fine to see the running of the club, and if Mr Hilton is left to get on with things you may well find Scunthorpe will follow the model we have…. self suffient, susstainable and a very positive buzz from the staff, players, and most importantly the fans.

Thats a very kind offer Patrick , dont suppose you will cover travel expenses to Ilkeston for my son and i would you ?? JOKE we are based in Asia !! 55555555555

It is rather sad ironic that our long awaited trip back to the UK partly due to the pandemic will coincide with Scunny being in tier 6 , never the less we will take in as many home n away games as possible as well as meeting new family members for the first time (grand kids n son in law) whilst traveling around Blighty for a bit of sightseeing so why not the promised land Ilkeston to sample your fare , whats the beach like?

My sons last and only visit to Glanford park was in the 2003-4 season when the football on offer was a tad better than in the recent years of decline ..he was 4 years old now 23 he still finds my obsession with the Iron rather strange.

UTI

WonderGoalsWonderGoals
    Participant
    Registered On: December 27, 2013
    Topics: 90

However they did not have a player embargo or the threat of closure to contend with

Player embargo was dissolved within a week of him in being in charge. There’s no excuse, 5 points from safety is not already down.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant
    Registered On: June 20, 2017
    Topics: 160

And don’t forget WG you would have binned Nelson off after his first game, you seem to be a very fair minded person lol.

Interested BystanderInterested Bystander
    Participant
    Registered On: April 9, 2023
    Topics: 15

Calling longstanding Iron supporters trolls and the other abuse is out of order, end of. Not helpful, divisive and inappropriate, to put it politely.

To label an individual a troll is just a lazy thing to do. It merely acts as a defence mechanism to deflect attention away from the difficult subjects that have been raised.

Contributors on an internet thread 13 years ago – trolls.

Supporters of Bury FC – trolls.

Supporters of Scunthorpe – trolls.

Perhaps the problem doesn’t lie with the trolls.

cliffbyrnesrightpegCliff Byrne’s Right Peg
    Participant
    Registered On: October 17, 2015
    Topics: 57

People use the fact we were ‘only’ 5 points from safety as an indicator we could have survived. To be 5 points away from safety that early in the season demonstrates how utterly useless we were. All we’ve continued to do is follow that same trajectory.

I can accept any criticism thrown at Dean as he hasn’t demonstrated enough he is fit for the job, but to suggest we were in any fit state to stay up- even under Nelson who managed 2 wins in 9 is ludicrous.

SideriteSiderite
    Participant
    Registered On: December 12, 2014
    Topics: 78

I don’t think saying relegation wasn’t a foregone conclusion is pretending we weren’t in a bad position. Dean has come out and said he could do nothing, yet Torquay may save themselves from what was a worse position.

Accepting certain failure from such a position is unacceptable. We may not have survived with Nelson or without the new player influx, but Dean’s defeatist attitude of we never had a chance is as false as what you’re describing.

cliffbyrnesrightpegCliff Byrne’s Right Peg
    Participant
    Registered On: October 17, 2015
    Topics: 57

I can’t recall an interview where he stated we never had a chance, can you send the link?

ironfromafarironfromafar
    Participant
    Registered On: October 10, 2021
    Topics: 19

Gateshead beating Eastleigh away 5-2 and now in 14th on 52 points ..they are on fire and playing great football.. Torguay winning 4 on the bounce giving themselves a fighting chance of survival at the expense of Scunnys opponents today Aldershot…Oldham were deep in the relegation mix as were Dorking and York…now all in the clear.

My point being at no point what so ever did i get the slightest feeling or optimism that the Iron had a run of winning games in them .. henceforth i think i like many other fans pretty much knew and excepted it wasnt gonna end well regardless of the take over and signings… YES we all kept seeing the MUST WIN games drift by without a win and hoped again after the Wealdstone result..
    IMO this was down to a few factors the main one being the seemingly negative mentality of the players and some strange tactical decisions by the manager.

I really hope as commented by Stu on the IRON WORLD yt channel that the fans keep the faith and get behind the new owner and club with decent attendances and away support as both will give a boost to the players…
    How long JD will be manager depends purely on the results first third of the NLN season , bearing in mind we will be operating on a full time basis and being arguably the biggest club in the league anything less than top few places should see JD gone , Scunny fans should not have to suffer yet another mediocre mid table position and call that ok or a success .. and if god forbid at the bottom might as well bin the lot n grow potatoes on the GP pitch.

Looking forward trying to remain positive ..the retained list will be interesting and hopefully very short after all the loan spongers have departed ..i find JD comments that some are playing for deals a tad strange .. WTF surely after circa 17 games he should know already who should remain both on mindset and ability ..time will tell.

UTI

lesgeolesgeo
    Participant
    Registered On: December 25, 2013
    Topics: 96

I hadn’t picked up the fact that Elliott had scored more than 30 goals in the NLN for Boston.
    Build the team around him!

SideriteSiderite
    Participant

I can’t recall an interview where he stated we never had a chance, can you send the link?

I wasn’t quoting ad verbatim.

TheJuryeffsOutTheJuryeffsOut
    Participant
    Registered On: April 1, 2023
    Topics: 11

from 06:00 – 08:10
    Listen up around 07:00

Iron-aweIron-awe
    Participant
    Registered On: June 21, 2017

Which means basically, “that’s bollocks then”. Your right again Cliff.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant

We’ve always had more Must win games than anyone, that being only in the fans eyes Must not lose games should have been the mantra. The negativity mentality of the players and the tactical decisions isn’t new we could go back years with reams of players and managers, hopefully and know way a given we can start to change it all round next season, if not answers on a postcard to everyone’s gods for an answer if your non believers then maybe ask WG he as all the answers though be careful he does tell a lot of porkies.

SODIronSODIron
    Participant
    Registered On: July 8, 2014
    Topics: 22

0-4, 0-0, 0-1, 0-2, 0-2, 1-2

1 point from a possible 18, and 1 goal scored.

SideriteSiderite
    Participant

Which means basically, “that’s bollocks then”. Your right again Cliff.

You must have been avoiding the waffling excuses in his interview from Oldham. Oh, and he inherited the team, despite the raft of signings since Hilton. If that wasn’t his team, does that mean it was Hilton’s signings?

I am not out for doom, it is to early to tell, but I am not a fan of waffles about sinking ships and everything being someone else’s fault when other teams may have managed to escape from poorer positions.

Iron-aweIron-awe
    Participant

You need more syrup on your waffles Sidey, you’d get to love em then. Loan players brought in at short notice to transform a teams fortunes was always going to be a gamble and before the Nelson issue raises it’s ugly head again, that is just a matter of opinion whether he could have done any better. Look the new owner took a chance on bringing a raft of players in on short term deals and loans, it failed but at least him and the new manager tried, if people think they didn’t try hard enough or weren’t good enough then that again is just opinion. Next season will be the yardstick for where we are going under Hilton and Dean, so you can put that in your waffles maker and chew it

SideriteSiderite
    Participant

They took a chance and criticism is warranted for failure. Of course criticism can go too far, and I am not calling for Dean’s head.

Iron-aweIron-awe
    Participant

Do you agree next season will be a proper yardstick of the new owner and manager, as Peter Levy says ad nauseum on his Look North interviews it’s just a yes or no question?

SideriteSiderite
    Participant

I think we will have to wait until next season for a true judgment, but the past few months cannot be written off. If Dean is failing by Christmas it won’t be too early for a change, in my opinion.

AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant

He won’t get that long if he’s failing.

cokeovenkidcokeovenkid
    Participant
    Registered On: January 13, 2014
    Topics: 1

We played a match yesterday and there wasn’t even the inspiration for a thread on it, is that a first ?

AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant

And you let the side down by just commenting on it. Nobody gives a shit the season’s over.

NorthumbironNorthumbiron
    Registered On: January 3, 2014
    Topics: 66

Do you agree next season will be a proper yardstick of the new owner and manager, as Peter Levy says ad nauseum on his Look North interviews it’s just a yes or no question?

No so much of a yardstick as a metre rule. It’s a completely different league with a number of part time teams.

Both owner and manager has been found to be out of their depth in this league.

Not certain that NL(N) we be a paddling pool!

Anonymous
    Inactive
    Registered On:
    Topics: 18

0-4, 0-0, 0-1, 0-2, 0-2, 1-2

1 point from a possible 18, and 1 goal scored.

We’re off to see the wizard!

CMCCMC
    Participant
    Registered On: July 14, 2022
    Topics: 32

We played a match yesterday and there wasn’t even the inspiration for a thread on it, is that a first ?

Lack of interest COK?

Where have SULSESC gone, thought they would have been busting a gut going to all the Southern away games this season, more local fans than others travelling away…

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.