More clueless Hilton or Dean??

Iron Bru Forums Blast Furnace More clueless Hilton or Dean??

• Author
    Deereyme66Deereyme66
    Registered On: May 8, 2017
    Topics: 101

‘The fact that some of these ‘terrible’ managers have proven themselves by being successful elsewhere, is a case in point.’

And players. I think it points to deeper problems under the previous ownership with those that have gone on to succeed elsewhere. Past is the past, any new manager should be judged without reference to how other managers were hired and fired under the previous tenure IMO

Iron-aweIron-awe
    Participant
    Registered On: June 21, 2017
    Topics: 11

And in the case of Dean the clamour to get rid of him is unprecedented even for our fans. Definitely something in the air we breathe.

I believe there is just a lack of patience with some clamouring for Deans head, we have won games under him, the Wealdstone win was a really good all round performance but there has been a real lack of consistency overall. Loan players, changing players around and muddled tactics have unsettled some supporters but for me it’s about getting a balanced squad in place for next season and letting JD settle in to the role with a squad he believes in. I’ve always said we were down before he arrived even with Nelson in charge, we have been clinging to the wreckage of a broken club for five seasons and David Hilton or Jimmy Dean are not miracle workers. The comments about them I believe are a throwback to a basic distrust in the previous owner which LBH has festered amongst us all for a long time. Be patient people, it’s a long road back but we need stability,plus a complete restructuring of the club if we are to survive and we have to hang in there and let the new people in charge do their jobs. Having a couple of fake accounts continually spouting conspiracy theories and spouting shite on here doesn’t help but most sensible supporters will recognise what their agenda is anyway. Yes pass comments, give opinions, you are all entitled to do that but let your foot off the throats of the people now trying to push us forward and until actual facts surface about how the club has been purchased and being guided and is proven to show some wrong doing, then just keep supporting everybody involved in Scunthorpe United. UTI.

SODIronSODIron
    Participant
    Registered On: July 8, 2014
    Topics: 22

I feel sorry for Jimmy Dean, it wasn’t his fault that he was appointed in a job where it appears that he is out of his depth; that’s on Hilton.

Dean’s record at the lower regional leagues is impressive however, he hasn’t done well at Scunthorpe, averaging just 0.79 points per match. Even when you look at his record in the NLN it is not that impressive, with an average of 1.29 points per match.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/jimmy-dean/profil/trainer/107110

I honestly believe that if we had employed a more experienced manager, we would of likely gained enough points to avoid the drop, or at least dragged it out to the last match. Jimmy Dean’s points per match record at Scunthorpe (0.79) is actual worse than Neil Cox (0.86)!

2 users thanked author for this post.
    WonderGoalsWonderGoals
    Participant
    Registered On: December 27, 2013
    Topics: 90

believe there is just a lack of patience with some clamouring for Deans head, we have won games under him, the Wealdstone win was a really good all round performance but there has been a real lack of consistency overall

When this season is all but done he would have had 17 games which is plenty of time to come up with a formation that suits the players at your disposal and to play some cohesive football.

Nelson took 3/4 games to achieve that. 17 games isn’t that far off half a season. We had one performance against Wealdstone but apart from that it’s been awful. I posted the form table since Dean is in charge and taking into account another loss against Oldham, we’re currently second from bottom.

“we have been clinging to the wreckage of a broken club for five seasons and David Hilton or Jimmy Dean are not miracle workers”

Expecting a manager to come in to assess his players to mould them into a formation that suits them and get them playing half decent football is not expecting miracles.

I keep saying this but it took Nelson 3/4 games to assess the players he had and he came up with a formation and a system which suited them and we played some good football. There is no excuse and iron-awe needs to stop with this apologist’s bullshit, it doesn’t wash.

Nobody has said he’s had it easy but he knew what he was walking into and so did we, what we did expect though was a manager with some know how and ability to form them into a cohesive unit at the very least and he hasn’t even managed that. On the whole the choice of going with Dean has backfired.

Harsh reality is you can be an apologist all you like and fight Dean and Hilton’s corner but we’ve gotten worse even since Dean came in to replace Nelson. Nelson had much less to work with than Dean so cut the crap.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    Iron-aweIron-awe
    Participant
    Registered On: June 21, 2017

You are perfectly entitled to your opinion Wonderloaf but I believe your response entirely vindicates my previous post.

AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant
    Registered On: June 20, 2017
    Topics: 160

Daz transfermarket have got it wrong, he was only in charge for 27 games not the 28 please do check. 1.34pts per game gives a more than impressive 61 points at the end of the season having come up from a lower division what’s not impressive about that? What is it with you and WG and the misinformation not as though I haven’t explained before on this?

Patrick0811Patrick0811
    Participant
    Registered On: March 30, 2023
    Topics: 0

My post is in reply to Iron-awe, not to the toxic keyboard warriors or anonymous who are clearly just trouble to the club.

I intended to not post here again, but today I read your post, it just sums up the situation exactly, and perfectly.
    It is exceptionally precise, and your reply(your second post) to the first person to jump on the bandwagon against your sensible post, is just typical of the doom mongers on here.
    I am from ilkeston, and have been to your ground and some away games as well recently, sometimes accompanying Mr Hilton, so I know the score more than most, and definitely more than the negative trolls on here!
    When the club was taken over Scunthorpe were in a very poor position in the league with relagation almost certain, the team had been very poor to have won so few games at that late stage of the season, and this was realised by most sensible people, had Mr Hilton done nothing the trolls would have jumped up and down screaming that if we stick with this team we are doomed…and they would be right.
    Mr Hilton had a throw of the dice and tried to inject players who could possibly perform a miracle, and if not, at least he tried….nothing to lose really because you were going down anyway in my opinion, and most realistic fans of whom many I spoke to at 5 games I watched, they voiced that opinion, but they all were just pleased to still have a club.
    Finally to me, it seems that whatever Mr Hilton decides to change, or not to change , half the resident trolls on here will be up in arms, until the next decision he makes then the other half of trolls will take their turn to be up in arms….. damned if you, damned if you don’t springs to mind!
    I won’t reply to the trolls, so don’t bother lighting up your laptops.
    And when Mr Hilton and Dean come good, and they will, you won’t here a peep from these Muppets, if I offended anyone on here, I want you to know I am not sorry… probably delighted.

5 users thanked author for this post.
    mistertonmickmistertonmick
    Participant
    Registered On: December 23, 2013
    Topics: 106

Well said Patrick, they need to be given a chance, the problem is everyone has Peter Swann still in their heads after 4 or 5 terrible seasons so they expect miracles overnight, everyone would have taken relegation months ago but unfortunately the takeover was a little too late, everyone is frustrated but I am sure it will change when we start afresh next season

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Patrick0811Patrick0811
    Participant

Thank mistertonmick
    Your reply is welcome, and so good it is not the usual toxic crap on here.
    Of course the takeover was too late, and 90% of the good Scunny fans knew that in their head, but hoped in their heart it wasn’t…. can not fault them for that.
    I really enjoyed mixing with the fans I met at games.. top fans, top club, just needs a bit of time and you will rise again.

SideriteSiderite
    Participant
    Registered On: December 12, 2014
    Topics: 78

Some of the negativity and conspiracies are tedious, but the dismissals of anything critical as trolling are too.

Hilton deserves credit for saving the club, but his own decisions are up for critique. Some of it will be irrational, but it’s a free country, so Hilton has to just accept that. If he is a good owner he will be able to prove the doubters wrong. Schemes like uprooting training to Ilkeston was bound to be divisive. Calling fans concerned about this trolls will not win any affection.

Nor will this attacking of fans for not being satisfactory enough for Hilton after saving the club. We had all this nonsense from Swann about fans needing to be more grateful or he could pull the plug. He asset stripped us and left us to die. Some of the same fans slamming anyone for criticising Hilton said the same under Swann, even when it became obvious he was playing us for fools.

This doesn’t mean I think Hilton is like Swann. On his Sunday statement I fall into group 2. He deserves a chance, some are going into a conspiratorial mindset, but framing any criticism as trolling and making out we should be thankful doesn’t lessen concerns. It increases them, as is coming on here to attack fans when you’re a Hilton associate. The critics will have a field day about thin skinned Hilton sending his buddy on to silence dissent. This is not my opinion, but what I can see as an interpretation. This doesn’t help gain trust and those fans supporting will grow tired of the ‘he saved your club’ argument after a while if there is no improvement and if Hilton’s plans don’t succeed.

Assuring us that Hilton and Dean will come good does nothing, there is no evidence being offered. It’s more promises, just like we had under Swann. Hilton may succeed, but it won’t be because of assurances based on implicit trust from associates.

Patrick0811Patrick0811
    Participant

Sideline,
    Your reply is fine, you are entitled to your opinion. And most important is that it is not toxic.
    I write for myself not Mr Hilton.
    I invited a couple of your residents troll to visit Ikeston to dispel their worries, even offering them a tour, food and drink, and speak freely to our fans in order to form an opinion,they declined. Or to put it bluntly they bottled it.
    That invitation is open to you as well, and you will see I am not Mr Hiltons mouthpiece, it will give you a better idea of what to expect under the guidance of Mr Hilton…. I was trolled a little when I mentioned our super 4g pitch, in fact I did elaborate Properly…so I will now.
    All credit toyour local team that have recently had one fitted…Bottesford I think?…
    There is however different spec on these type of pitches… we at Ilkeston are only one of 3 to this rolls Royce pitch in the UK…… another one is Liverpools training pitch…. and without being disrespectful the 3rd one is not Bottesford….. its St georges Park, England’s training ground!
    Mr Hilton did not shout his mouth of about that achievement…. he doesn’t do that,
    But I do, because I am proud of what we have at Ilkeston… so to the trolls who tried to make fun of Ilkeston…(and they did)….. put this in your pipe and smoke it!
    We Ilkeston, that tin pot, Mickey mouse, happy shopper, fifty pence club, have been approached by Birmingham City, Sheffield utd, and Derby County to play pre season games at Ilkeston…. we at Ilkeston would sooner play Scunthorpe, keeping the hospitality money to ourselves and you because of the Mr Hilton connection.. we would bring hundreds there and know you would bring more to ours..win win situation for both clubs… so no more trolling of ilkeston please!…. this clubs rise upthe league and status in the football world are largely down to Mr Hilton… someone who you have opened this particular post to insult (hilton or Dean who’s most clueless?)…. disgraceful!
    Anyone who wants to come is welcome,and you can go back and assure the trolls I am not a mouth piece for anyone, and you will get an incite to what you can achieve if you stop sticking knives in people…especially your manager!

AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant
    Registered On: June 20, 2017
    Topics: 160

Bloody hell Pat loads criticizing Dean’s tactics and all that, and they won’t even go to ask questions of him at training, so you’ve no chance of them coming to you in Ilkeston. There’s always an excuse washing there hair or something like that Saturday would have been ideal to visit but you saw Deerey couldn’t go and there were no other takers.

Patrick0811Patrick0811
    Participant

Of course there were no takers… success would frighten the life out of them… they need the failure to feed their toxic crap posts.

WonderGoalsWonderGoals
    Participant

O god Good Ole Patrick is back again, no doubt they’re either a club stooge plant or a wind up merchant.

How is expecting a new manager to come in to choose a formation to suit his players and to play some cohesive football toxic ?

All people have done is point out that since Dean has come in we’re currently 2nd from bottom in the league form table, playing awful football in an awful formation.

Is stating facts toxic now ?

What fans supposed to do, all lie to each other and be in utter denial ?.

Is that what counts as non toxic in your eyes, Patrick ?

Patrick0811Patrick0811
    Participant

No, toxic is when everything you write is negative and personally abusive to someone.
    As I said. You were going down anyway, don’t blame Mr Dean, it is very difficult to gel together players unknown to each other in a short time… look at Chelsea with their recent bunch of new signings, things take time and trying to find players, good players, late in the season is difficult with so many play off and relagations at stake…they just are not around.
    Your bad feeling towards yet another relagation is not down to Hilton and Dean….. embrace the fact you have a club, stop slagging off and give them a chance to build when players do come available in the close season.
    Mr Hilton has not bought the club to play in NLN, if he wanted to be at level he could have stayed another year at Ilkeston…. you are a big club in big shot, so instead of slagging each other off on a daily basis and all pill in one direction…. did I mention not so long ago Ilkeston had to hire generators for the flood lights to fulfill an evening fixture they could not afford to pay the electric bill… I will show you the video if ever you come down, so we (pre Hilton) know his capability…. First hand!

SideriteSiderite
    Participant

This we were already down thing is a bit tiring. Torquay were below us not so long ago, and could stay up.

I wasn’t against Dean coming in, but Nelson was getting a tune our of the team. Would it have continued? I don’t know, but it wasn’t a foregone conclusion.

mistertonmickmistertonmick
    Participant
    Registered On: December 23, 2013
    Topics: 106

A lot of recent problems have been caused by Chapman and Beeston getting injured and Bunker going back to Forest Green

WonderGoalsWonderGoals
    Participant

Chapman, Beestin and Bunker were missed but I argue that Dean’s fascination with playing a formation which seemingly doesn’t suit the players and continual poor substitutions were more damaging.

Nelson was getting a tune out of the players and we were 5 points from safety, how is that already relegated ?. I laugh whenever I see supposed fans use that as an excuse for why Dean has failed miserably.

Where Hilton is concerned I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt because as it stands we wouldn’t have a club without him so I’m more than grateful. I will be waiting to see if the sale of the club fully goes through by 24th May because if it doesn’t the jury will well and truly be out.

If Hilton get’s all of it purchased by then It will settle all of us down and we can truly start to move forward as a club but before that happens I’ll remain sceptical. The club fully changing over to Hilton is the sticking point because if that doesn’t happen for whatever happens, Mr Hilton will be met with a tidal wave of scepticism and rightly so.

TheJuryeffsOutTheJuryeffsOut
    Participant
    Registered On: April 1, 2023

Sorry Patrick but 5 points from safety with 18 games to go was not “you were going down anyway “. We had a good chance of staying up, Nelson had a team at least battling away for each other and picking up results. My view is we didn’t need Dean or the wholesale movement of so many players, but it is only an opinion and people on here have been quite happy with the changes and disagree with the likes of me.
    If we were going down anyway why change anything ?
    I’ve been at the games supporting Jimmy Dean and his team but they just imploded after Notts County. Losing is one thing but the performances have been dire, they just lay down and give up.
    Unlucky losing Chapman to injury but is Billson, who has played about 6 league games ever (most of them for us) better than Foster ? It turns out Dean has only managed at NLN level for half a season and said himself he’s never been involved with a relegation battle at any level. So is it Deans fault ? I don’t think so. Is it Mr Hiltons ? He bought the club he can do, and has done, whatever he likes, change the manager and loads of players – that is fine but on a football forum people are going to discuss their opinions. Even Liverpool, Arsenal, Man U etc fans will be bickering and moaning about what they think is best it, is what fans do.

Patrick0811Patrick0811
    Participant

I agree with some of what you say…but to set a forum post to insult your chairman and manager is not good is it?
    And you were not just five points behind, you had played more games than those above you… I was at the Notts county game and am quite sure you did not enter the notts penalty area once or even get a corner…. but you played Wrexham off the park for periods…. Wrexham popped Notts…funny old game football … and we in nottingham were very impressed with the scunthorpe turnout and fans passion… I was at Grimsby at yhe weekend when they played hartlepool… spoke with many fans… and they are sorry to not be able to play you…. there’s not the hatred you imagine with them.

fans6464
    Registered On: February 14, 2015
    Topics: 444

Of course there were no takers… success would frighten the life out of them… they need the failure to feed their toxic crap posts.

What an idiot,don’t tell Iron fans what to think or say ,we’ve seen too many idiots come and go.This guy came in led us to believe he’d bought the lot,kitchen sink included,he hadn’t,he then launched a stupid scheme to sell a piece of land he didn’t own to 1800 idiots who also wouldn’t own it ,
    He binned a guy who’d got the players fighting for him and replaced him with a Sunday league manager who made it worse.So forgive me if I treat you coming on here to big up your mate while slagging off genuinely concerned fans ,with the disdain it deserves

SideriteSiderite
    Participant

I am sure and know some Grimsby fans do feel that way, but social media and the fishy shows others feel otherwise, as they take delight in us going down. It’s not the imagination of a deluded and toxic fanbase.

You may mean well, but your interactions are just divisive, in my opinion.

Participant

No it isn’t good, which is why I hadn’t got involved with this thread until now, and why I personally keep off social media and only came on here recently.
    Notts took us apart unfortunately, and it’s hard to take when you’ve watched us play league football for decades, and believe me we have been extremely poor in the past but I don’t recall any Iron team this bad.
    I know people in Grimsby and with the genuine supporters there is a healthy local rivalry not the bile you get on here or Twitter.
    I hope Mr Hilton succeeds, and Jimmy Dean comes good next season.

NorthumbironNorthumbiron
    Registered On: January 3, 2014
    Topics: 66

At the moment the only thing Mr Hilton/White/Anderson or whoever is guilty of is throwing everything he had at trying to keep the club in the NL. It didn’t work, but as many on here have said we were as good as down when he took over from Swann.

Or were we?

A month ago Gateshead were just one point better off than us (34 & 33pts) and both teams were in the bottom four.

They haven’t lost since, and their impressive 5-2 away win at Eastleigh the other night was their sixth victory on the bounce.

They are now up to fourteenth having amassed 52pts and certain of playing NL football again next season. In the same period of time we have gained just one point from the 0-0 at York!

Some difference eh? Our management and coaching staff have had the same opportunities to do what the Heed have, but haven’t come close.

Now that’s worrying. Not because we failed to avoid the drop, but the pitiful nature of the way we accepted it.

Not overly confident that the rot will stop next season. But I am the eternal pessimist!

ironfromafarironfromafar
    Participant
    Registered On: October 10, 2021
    Topics: 19

Welcome back Patrick .. after all the years of doom n gloom you will obviously have some in the fan base that are of cup half empty mentality… i dont see much trolling here but lots of massively differing opinions, sadness and concern.

For my part ..
    Im firstly hugely relieved we still have a club ..thanks to DH

I am very positive re DH and his actions as it seems he will listen to the fans (re not moving training to Ilk was quite a big issue within the fan base) , something thats not happened for years.

You are correct he was in between a rock n a hard place when deciding to sign all the players (TOO MANY) in a gamble to stay up ..sadly a gamble he /we lost… if he had done nothing he would have been slagged off but IMO i think many of the signings were rushed and just too many came in which just produced a melting pot of unknown talent and loanees who deep down dont care hence very difficult to gel in any sort of quick time frame.

We are down NLN it is ..this was very likely before DH arrived on the scene hopefully this is rock bottom.

I too like you think things will come good with DH at the helm .. however im not going to say it will be with JD as long term manager if results dont happen within the first third of next season.. hindsight is a wonderful thing and if fans can see some issues with JD im sure DH can see them too but JD should be given his chance with his own players not the jumbled bunch of pick n mix hes been working with to date.
    You obviously know DH quite well , i like the sound of the fella and i get the impression hes not fussed about making hard decisions including where necessary sacking who ever needs removing from the club.

I hope the retained list is short Chappo n Elliot should be kept …after that its over to you Jimmy lad do yer best and prove those fans who are worried about you wrong .. i am on the fence with regard to JD i like somethings some stuff i dont so lets just see how it all pans out

Talk of Nelson, yes he seemed to be getting a bit more from the same group than previous managers had but the bar was low with Cox n Hill being total disasters.. maybe in hindsight DH could of saved a few bob and kept him but lets not forget he is still there and seems to be on JDs shoulder on the touchline so his input is still there , we will never know how thing would have worked out and thats the past .. the future is hopefully bright with DH … personally im overjoyed we still have a future.

UTI

Patrick0811Patrick0811
    Participant

I accept what you say Morthumbiron, and credit to gateshead.
    However they did not have a player embargo or the threat of closure to contend with, so it would be easier to attract players (decent players) than to Scunthorpe with all its troubles and recent well known declin.
    I was at the Solihull game and you were the better side, it knocked the stuffing out of the team when the goalie dropped his clanger (in fairness to him he had just made a world class save earlier, I am still trying to work out how you lost that game.. heads dropped and never raised again and with all the negativity the players and there families must read I think they gave up on performing a miracle.
    At that game I met and talked to quite a few fans, they were brilliant, really good away support for an evening match, the biggest asset Scunthorpe have is their fanbase, the majority are behind the club… the problem being on these forums is majorities tend tend to be silent..and minorities very loud!

Patrick0811Patrick0811
    Participant

Ironfromafar
    Your post is an excellent one, constructive criticism is always good, not that you have been very critical.
    You are correct about me knowing Mr Hilton very well, therefore it can be frustrating to see criticism from all quarters for just about anything he does, or doesn’t do ?
    Your assessment of the gamble he took to stay up is 100% correct, and your other thoughts are spot on as well.
    If you and any friends want to visit Ilkeston anytime you are very welcome, I have some wonderful ideas that would benefit both our clubs (innovative pioneering interaction that someone like yourself would quickly grasp).
    I am the catering manager at Ilkeston, which you see if you visit?, and not Mr Hilton masquerading as someone else, as has been suggested by some on here.
    Ilkeston is a hive of activity everyday of the week, so any day is fine to see the running of the club, and if Mr Hilton is left to get on with things you may well find Scunthorpe will follow the model we have…. self suffient, susstainable and a very positive buzz from the staff, players, and most importantly the fans.

Participant

All players make mistakes. I thought that Solihull clanger was good quick thinking by the Solihull player as much as it was a keeper mistake.
    If the players are so flaky that one mistake causes them to collapse in a game then that backs up what some people on here are saying. Players and management giving up after reading negativity on the internet is even more worrying. Social media, forums etc is the Wild West I wouldn’t be looking at it and allowing it to affect me if I was involved in professional sport.

Lord KitchenerLord Kitchener
    Participant
    Registered On: December 24, 2013
    Topics: 36

We have had, imo, years of corruption and mismanagement from the very top. It is hard to be enthusiastically optimistic, even with new a new owner and manager. I have no problem with Ilkeston, indeed before Hilton arrived I hadn’t given them much thought. If our new Chairman can run The Iron as well as he did Ilkeston, I will be pleased. But I’m NOT interested in transferring ANY aspect of our club’s running seventy miles down the road, great training pitch or not.

That will be my last comment on the matter. As long as Mr Hilton doesn’t have any more of those ideas.

UTBI

cassidystashcassidystash
    Participant
    Registered On: January 4, 2014
    Topics: 104

“Ilkeston is a hive of activity everyday of the week”

Clearly a successful operation, can you see why plans to close GP, except on match days, caused concern among fans?

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.