More clueless Hilton or Dean??

Iron Bru Forums Blast Furnace More clueless Hilton or Dean??

• Author
    SharpShooter24Sharp_Shooter24
    Participant
    Registered On: April 24, 2014
    Topics: 77

The most obvious answer is Dean, this man isn’t a football manager!!
    He has NO tactical awareness, NO way of playing, NO identity!!

He dropped Butterfield on his first game in charge despite him being our best player from the previous few games then brings him back with his tail between his legs makes him captain but plays him in a set up where he offers very little if anything… he needs freedom and players set up around him to be able to play that way!! He’s not a standard CM player!!!
    Elliot whitehouse also a player on fire before Dean arrived gets dropped and allowed to leave… now he’s one of the best midfielders (on form) in the NLN!!

So who’s more clueless… this pretender Dean or the man who put him in charge and allowed him to deliver absolutely nothing!!

2 users thanked author for this post.
    ironfromafarironfromafar
    Participant
    Registered On: October 10, 2021
    Topics: 19

Hindsight is a wonderful thing ..but.. IMO

Fantastic Hilton took over from Swan (TBC)
    Nelson should have stayed no new manager JD or anyone else was needed.
    No crazy rush of sub standard signings maybe a couple max .. go with what we had for the rest of the season and see what happens.
    Everything seemed so rushed when a step back and a level headed approach was needed.

Alas .. Hilton chose to gamble and it back fired massively so he is at fault ..however the damage was done long before he arrived.

NLN it is thats the reality today and im hoping Hilton wakes up contemplating exactly what his gamble has turned into and how he can change the situation for the better.

CMCCMC
    Participant
    Registered On: July 14, 2022
    Topics: 32

Bold Prediction: We won’t see the start of the 2024-5 Season.

IronIronIronIronIronIron
    Participant
    Registered On: December 24, 2013
    Topics: 6

It is hard to be more clueless than Hilton, but Dean has achieved it.

If somebody cuts the piece of string outside Glanford Park, Dean will never get home…..

Iron-aweIron-awe
    Participant
    Registered On: June 21, 2017
    Topics: 11

Have you watched the latest IronArmy podcast, most of the above get a mention very early on, fame at last guys, well done.

fans6464
    Registered On: February 14, 2015
    Topics: 444

Its safe to say ,nothing has improved and the football has got worse since the takeover

3 users thanked author for this post.
    ironfromafarironfromafar
    Participant
    Registered On: October 10, 2021
    Topics: 19

Its safe to say ,nothing has improved and the football has got worse since the takeover

On the pitch ..yes totally agree

AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant
    Registered On: June 20, 2017
    Topics: 160

Well evidently Hilton has got numerous things wrong, moving training to Ilkeston, the academy, the manager, the 1899 offer when he doesn’t own the ground yet, and bringing in far to many players. What exactly has he improved? Nothing imo at the moment.

dandaherron@yahoo.co.ukJust Iron
    Participant
    Registered On: August 1, 2014
    Topics: 9

He’s improved our relationship with HMRC. He’s improved our relationship with the Bank. He’s shown a willingness to rectify decisions made under
    unusually pressured circumstances. He’s improved our relationship with the future … possibly … and even with our old, relentless friend ..Reality.

5 users thanked author for this post.
    RandomRandom
    Participant
    Registered On: June 9, 2017
    Topics: 6

To be fair to Hilton i think its too early to judge. Too many super negative people on here. Judging Hilton this time next year is probably a more realistic/reasonable approach, then passing judgement after only a couple of months.
    Even Dean might surprise us and come good in a years time.

4 users thanked author for this post.
    WonderGoalsWonderGoals
    Participant
    Registered On: December 27, 2013
    Topics: 90

Even Dean might surprise us and come good in a years time

The way he’s been show up tactically, I wouldn’t hold your breath if I was you.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    SODIronSODIron
    Participant
    Registered On: July 8, 2014
    Topics: 22

In answer to OP question: it must be the person who appointed him, and that would be Hilton.

I am pleased that Hilton came in and paid the necessary bills to ensure the club were able to see the season out however, Hilton has scored a few own goals since taking the helm; firstly replacing Nelson just as he was getting a tune out of the team, secondly the way he announced the appointment of Jimmy Dean and thirdly, appointing Jimmy Dean. Evidence of the match results and team performances have shown that Jimmy Dean is clearly learning on the job, and at the expense of Scunthorpe United. Then let’s not forget the closing of GP / training in Ilkeston announcement, followed by a swift U-turn. This was quickly followed by another U-turn following the announcement to close the academy, and again more issues on how the academy players, parents, coaches etc found out!

If I were grading Hilton’s tenure to date I would grade him has a “D” and write “After initial promise David has gone through a challenging few weeks and needs to think ideas through thoroughly before announcing them. David needs to ensure that all parties who are impacted by any announcements / changes are informed before any changes are announced in the press, website, or social media. I would like to see David go into greater detail on his plans for the forthcoming season in the National League North, as well as his short, mid, and long-term plans for the club, ground, and training facilities.”

AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant

Pretty fair Daz, though I’m glad he brought in his own choice of manager, and the only plan has to be minimum of the playoffs after 10 games or at least look like we’re contenders, not bothered about mid to long term, just positivity.

cassidystashcassidystash
    Participant
    Registered On: January 4, 2014
    Topics: 104

” Evidence of the match results and team performances have shown that Jimmy Dean is clearly learning on the job, and at the expense of Scunthorpe United.”

Interesting you think that Daz, IMO he’s not showing any signs that he’s learnt anything since he’s been here. Same s**** almost every week, still thinks 4-2-3-1 is the best system for the current squad and that Pugh and Shrimpton are the MF answer.

Deereyme66Deereyme66
    Registered On: May 8, 2017
    Topics: 101

In answer to the subject question, I’d answer: ‘depends what your definition of clueless is?’

SODIronSODIron
    Participant
    Registered On: July 8, 2014
    Topics: 22

” Evidence of the match results and team performances have shown that Jimmy Dean is clearly learning on the job, and at the expense of Scunthorpe United.”

Interesting you think that Daz, IMO he’s not showing any signs that he’s learnt anything since he’s been here. Same s**** almost every week, still thinks 4-2-3-1 is the best system for the current squad and that Pugh and Shrimpton are the MF answer.

Just because I said he was learning on the job doesn’t mean he is a fast learner. Some people learn quickly, some take longer, and some never learn despite how much time you give them. Jimmy Dean seems to be performing closer to the later of the three.

AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant

All down to how big his ego is, Cox new better than everyone and paid the price,

Deereyme66Deereyme66

The manager should know better than the supporters.

Deereyme66Deereyme66

From what Daz has said in two posts above, I reckon he could get a tune out of them!

WonderGoalsWonderGoals
    Participant
    Registered On: December 27, 2013
    Topics: 90

Just because I said he was learning on the job

Problem is nobody has seen any evidence of that, as cassidy stated above, it’s the same mistakes and mindset game in game out. The decision to keep playing a formation that doesn’t suit the players is diobolical.

There is no way on planet earth it should take a manager 14 games to realise this and the punchline is that he still hasn’t. If Nelson can devise a system which suits the players in 3/4 games it shouldn’t take 14 games to pass without him realising that what he’s doing is not working.

Dean should have worked that out 6 or 7 games ago and the fact that he still hasn’t tells me he’s not learnt anything. How can a manager be learning on the job when they’re continually doing the same things that haven’t been working ?

I’ve seen the stats and didn’t exactly pull up any trees in NLN. I think he bottomed out there ability wise at that level and was truly found out at this one.

A manager should have more than one of playing, surely ?

I hope I’m wrong but I suspect I’m not. Dean will be signing all next seasons players with a view to playing the formation everybody hates, the dreaded 4/2/3/1 “the only one he knows”

I suspect we’ll have the same problem this coming season with turgid direct shitty football consisting of an isolated target man.

mkironMK Iron
    Participant
    Registered On: December 23, 2013
    Topics: 46

Could someone explain to me the difference in Nelson’s system and Dean’s. Both played mainly a nominal 4-3-3 as far as I can see.

Main difference is Nelson had Lavery and Dean didn’t.

NorthumbironNorthumbiron
    Registered On: January 3, 2014
    Topics: 66

My concern is that given his past managerial positions Dean is more used to sourcing players that are part-timers.

The same would apply to Mr Hilton with his Ilkeston connections.

So I’m wondering who is going to be doing the recruitment. What type of players are being targeted. And what carrots (if any) are being dangled to persuade them to join a club that has suffered three relegations in five years?

cassidystashcassidystash
    Participant

“I hope I’m wrong but I suspect I’m not. Dean will be signing all next seasons players with a view to playing the formation everybody hates, the dreaded 4/2/3/1 “the only one he knows”

IIRC Dean came here with a reputation of playing exciting, attractive, attacking football. Tricky wingers getting plenty of crosses in the box leading to plenty of goals. What went wrong? If that’s worked for him in the past why doesn’t he try it here? Baffling.

AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant

Baffling indeed, how many more managers have done the same thing. when coming here, maybe something in the air or the tea

AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant

Still at it I see WG, “I’ve seen the stats and they didn’t exactly pull any trees up any trees in NLN” holding their own mid table not good enough in their 1st season in that league, really? His and their achievements have been bettered by who exactly? Your football knowledge appears to be very thin to say the least.

Lord KitchenerLord Kitchener
    Participant
    Topics: 36

I’ve lost count of how many manager we have had over the last twenty years. The clamour of fans to get them sacked has always bothered me. The fact that some of these ‘terrible’ managers have proven themselves by being successful elsewhere, is a case in point. Look at where Mark Robins is now for instance, doing very well at Coventry. Could it be that he is getting better backing from their board? Or perhaps they are letting him do his job without interference? Maybe both.

I don’t believe how far we have fallen, but really can’t see the same thing happening next season. So let Dean have his chance, bring in his own players on real contracts, and see how he gets on over a longer period of time.

cassidystashcassidystash
    Participant

So let Dean have his chance, bring in his own players on real contracts, and see how he gets on over a longer period of time.

The worry is, as NI says above and I said earlier, that Dean’s knowledge of players is largely limited to NLN and below. Hopefully he might take some recommendations from Nelson and Turnbull (is he still around?) or we could end up with a team lacking the potential to progress.

cassidystashcassidystash
    Participant

The manager should know better than the supporters.

Your average supporter certainly, but surely not the combined knowledge of the Iron Bru Brains Trust.

Lord KitchenerLord Kitchener
    Participant
    Topics: 36

Whoever he does sign would struggle to be as badly motivated as the shower we have now. Short term loanees are ok if you lose both goalies, as we did with two broken arms in one match, remember that? But to sign all those players on such terms was too much! At the same time I’m still relieved that we still have a club to support in Scunthorpe.

UTBI

AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant

And in the case of Dean the clamour to get rid of him is unprecedented even for our fans. Definitely something in the air we breathe.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.