Missing the target

Iron Bru Forums Blast Furnace Missing the target

• Author
    HunterCristHunterCrist
    Participant
    Registered On: April 9, 2022
    Topics: 3

What have been the most funny/worst goal misses by Scunthorpe players that you remember?

pelePele
    Participant
    Registered On: January 27, 2014
    Topics: 19

Everyone is going to say Darryn Stamp here

5 users thanked author for this post.
    cliffbyrnesrightpegCliff Byrne’s Right Peg
    Participant
    Registered On: October 17, 2015
    Topics: 57

Can’t remember the game…

Steve torpey in front on the DRE, cross comes in, open goal from about 3 yards out and somehow managed to head it into the ground and Miss. Might have even gone over the bar.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    admin SST
    SteveJobsworthSteveJobsworth
    Participant
    Registered On: December 29, 2013
    Topics: 22

Ian Ormondroyd away at Notts county.

PaulSanfran49
    Participant
    Registered On: December 23, 2013
    Topics: 70

George Kerr at The Old Show Ground !

Ball was just in front of goal line no one in front of him and he hit under the ball, it went straight up and cleared the bar – goal kick !!

adminSST
    Keymaster
    Registered On: December 19, 2013
    Topics: 82

Can’t remember the game…

Steve torpey in front on the DRE, cross comes in, open goal from about 3 yards out and somehow managed to head it into the ground and Miss. Might have even gone over the bar.

Aye, it was pretty bad. Shrewsbury the year we went up.

FerriteFerrite
    Participant
    Topics: 101

Darius Henderson missed the goal by 180* during his mercifully brief spell in an Iron shirt.

mistertonmickmistertonmick
    Participant
    Topics: 106

You could say all our present squad who are experts at getting it on the wrong side of the woodwork

NorthumbironNorthumbiron
    Registered On: January 3, 2014
    Topics: 66

Apart from my aforementioned Neil Warnock effort at Sid James Park, I recall Graham Rusling clearing the bar from inside the six yard box, DRE OSG.

FeO2FeO2
    Participant
    Registered On: October 30, 2021
    Topics: 4

Stood in DRE, I remember Beags tricking his way down the wing (our right), cutting in and unleashing a right skyer that comfortably cleared the stand roof. He paused a sec, then gazed skyward in an astonished manner with a look of mock disbelief on his face. Hilarious at the time!

VillanuevaIronVillanuevaIron
    Participant
    Registered On: May 25, 2017
    Topics: 0

Away at Grimsby April 1990, Division 4. Went one nil up with a Flounders header and then Andy Hodgkinson and Flounders got in each others way to finish of a sitter for 2-0. Needless to say we lost 2-1. One of the most gutted I have been at a match. Over 11000 there – seem to remember outside the ground was quite interesting before and after the game.

Ex OfficioEx Officio
    Participant
    Registered On: December 28, 2013
    Topics: 3

Graham Rusling – Fox St end on the goal line and put it over the stand!

IronageIron Age
    Participant
    Registered On: April 10, 2019
    Topics: 55

Apart from my aforementioned Neil Warnock effort at Sid James Park, I recall Graham Rusling clearing the bar from inside the six yard box, DRE OSG.

I seem to remember that he not only cleared the bar from directly in front of an open goal, he cleared the Fox Street stand, the ground fell about laughing, including players.

mistertonmickmistertonmick
    Participant
    Topics: 106

Like Pele said Stamp’s was a classic

NorthumbironNorthumbiron
    Registered On: January 3, 2014
    Topics: 66

I always used to go in the DRE (underage beer in The Royal first) but of course it was not unknown for us to change ends at halftime.

So maybe it was the Fox St. Mind plays funny tricks!

mkironMK Iron
    Participant
    Topics: 46

Definitely Fox Street. Some things you just can’t unsee or forget.

It’s helped me with something that has bugged me ever since I saw Tyrone O’Neil play earlier in the season. As Shankly once said he has deceptive pace. He’s even slower than he looks.

I knew O’Neil reminded me of an old Iron player. Now I realise it was Rusling.

Tries real hard but painfully slow and can’t finish. I do believe we still have the pleasure of loaning him out again next season.

WonderGoalsWonderGoals
    Participant
    Registered On: December 27, 2013
    Topics: 90

Andy Parton from years ago, clean through on goal, gk had even lost his balance and all he had to do was kick it straight and somehow missed an open goal going for the corner.

Utter shite.

RoamingBullRoamingBull
    Participant
    Registered On: December 24, 2013
    Topics: 4

Away at Grimsby April 1990, Division 4. Went one nil up with a Flounders header and then Andy Hodgkinson and Flounders got in each others way to finish of a sitter for 2-0. Needless to say we lost 2-1. One of the most gutted I have been at a match. Over 11000 there – seem to remember outside the ground was quite interesting before and after the game.

Wasn’t it ‘ Ticker Taylor one of them that got in each other’s way for an open goal??
    Yes very tasty as we’d parked in a huge shop car park and bodies were flying everywhere.
    Oh what I’d give for those days to return, ‘‘twas so excited and atmosphere was great

1 user thanked author for this post.
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.