Home Forums The New Blast Furnace Merging with non league

PorthlevenIron2
    Participant
    Topics: 16
    Replies: 27

Thoughts on this guys https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-8326997/Chairmen-lower-league-clubs-discussing-radical-plan-split-League-Two-regions.html

I really can’t see it bringing in much more money through attendances. Can anyone else? Maybe a merge with league one could work but it will be difficult to figure out.

Northumbiron
    Participant
    Topics: 250
    Replies: 11008

Daily Mail!!!

I wouldn’t believe the date on the header without checking my diary.

I’ll wait until a reputable source covers it.

Cliff Byrne’s Right Peg
    Participant
    Topics: 27
    Replies: 772

It’s definitely an option worth exploring The national League contains enough full time clubs these days to make it viable to merge with League 2.

Not sure how much travel costs really
    Dent the clubs finances, but hosting clubs bringing larger away following Such as: Hartlepool, Chesterfield, Notts County, Stockport And Boston makes more sense then Crawley and Exeter bringing 100 fans.

Sanfran49
    Participant
    Topics: 281
    Replies: 6268

Costs and revenue going to be a huge issue.

Could not see div 1 agreeing to a 1 & 2 merger and a div 1 north / south set-up.

Awaywego
    Participant
    Topics: 34
    Replies: 642

would be hard to let the london trips go, a day out in london on the train takes some beating always a good turnout.

TwoWrights
    Participant
    Topics: 29
    Replies: 1810

Law of averages prevails, I agree with awaywego’s above post.

It’s our time.

1 user thanked author for this post.

cassidystash
    Participant
    Topics: 179
    Replies: 3742

would be hard to let the london trips go, a day out in london on the train takes some beating always a good turnout.

But you’re looking at it from a fans point of view, not really a consideration at our club is it.

barnardsboots
    Participant
    Topics: 10
    Replies: 72

Daily Mail!!!

I wouldn’t believe the date on the header without checking my diary.

I’ll wait until a reputable source covers

Sun reader then?

Ferrite
    Participant
    Topics: 175
    Replies: 2407

I saw this proposed a while back and didn’t really see the benefit. If nothing else, Leyton Orient or Millwall are a hell of a lot easier to get to that, say, Port Vale or Carlisle.

This feels like just another step to marginalising the lower leagues, no doubt a regional division would get even less TV money and would end up losing out on even more youth players to the Big Clubs.

Northumbiron
    Participant

Leyton Orient or Millwall are a hell of a lot easier to get to that, say, Port Vale or Carlisle.

Speak for yourself!

Sun reader then?

Speak for yourself!

Ferrite
    Participant

I dunno NI, getting to London from the North East must be easier than getting to Port Vale, no?

Awaywego
    Participant
    Topics: 34
    Replies: 642

“Would be hard to let go” But think of all them local derbys with the better atmosphere, notts county, stockport, and chesterfield on the train would more than make up for the lack of a London trip no matter how hard, I am sure most of you will be the same as me were footy is the avenue to great days out with friends and you my extended footy family, let’s hope there’s many more good times to come.

Cliff Byrne’s Right Peg
    Participant

I saw this proposed a while back and didn’t really see the benefit. If nothing else, Leyton Orient or Millwall are a hell of a lot easier to get to that, say, Port Vale or Carlisle.

This feels like just another step to marginalising the lower leagues, no doubt a regional division would get even less TV money and would end up losing out on even more youth players to the Big Clubs.

They are more exceptions to the rule though. Also Not sure it would have much affect on the TV money but the biggest stumbling block would obviously be less promotion places to league one.

billpuntonsghost
    Participant
    Topics: 509
    Replies: 4040

…it’s easier getting to Millwall…if you win it’s harder to get away.

Ferrite
    Participant

They are more exceptions to the rule though. Also Not sure it would have much affect on the TV money but the biggest stumbling block would obviously be less promotion places to league one.

Well, I imagine that the TV companies would have less interest in showing a regional league than a natoinal one. Also, if the Conference is going to be merged into League Two to create these regional leagues, then surely that’s more clubs taking a share of the existing TV pot?

I take your point about trips to places like Plymouth or Exeter being replaced with Stockport or Chester but I was really just trying to highlight that getting from north to south in this country is often easier than going east to west.

Cliff Byrne’s Right Peg
    Participant

Well, I imagine that the TV companies would have less interest in showing a regional league than a natoinal one. Also, if the Conference is going to be merged into League Two to create these regional leagues, then surely that’s more clubs taking a share of the existing TV pot?

I take your point about trips to places like Plymouth or Exeter being replaced with Stockport or Chester but I was really just trying to highlight that getting from north to south in this country is often easier than going east to west.

I accept it wouldn’t be perfect and there would be anomalies where teams would be much worse of, especially around the midlands area.

As regards to TV companies, my thinking was they’d be inclined to keep a similar deal in place, if not more when the schedule is going to include more local derbies with packed grounds and a slightly higher TV audience. People are more likely to tune into Plymouth-Exeter, Notts county- Mansfield, Scunny-Grimsby etc

Definitely not nailing my colours to the mast, just something I feel is at least worth a feasibility study. On a personal note, it would open up more grounds to tick off the list whilst still having the option of London away days etc if we were to get promoted.

Ferrite
    Participant

One curiosity is that, in the past, this has been floated for Leagues 1 and 2 rather than League Two with the Conference. I wonder what’s changed. I still feel it risks the 4th tier being even more marginalised. I reckon the “north” division would still have a surprising number of southern clubs in it. I think the Conference North used to have Lowestoft and Gloucester which are still a long way from Hartlepool or Carlisle!

You might be right about the TV but in terms of the Premier League hand-out, which is already miniscule, that will have to go another 24 ways so it’s hardly going to make League Two clubs better off.

wingsofasparrow
    Participant
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 457

It’s a resounding no to going regional from me down here in Cornwall. And probably most of SULSESC would feel the same.

mistertonmick
    Participant
    Topics: 424
    Replies: 8398

I thought the performances of the last two seasons regionalising would save you money and miserable Saturday afternoons out.

Cliff Byrne’s Right Peg
    Participant

Ferrite…. My guess is that the national league is a completely different kettle of fish to what is was 20 years ago, especially in terms of thebnumber of professional clubs competing since a 2 team regelation was introduced to league 2.

There is regularly a number heavy hitters competing such as: Tranmere, Grimsby, Oxford, Wrexham… along with cash rich clubs bankrolled by local millionaires such as Eastleigh, Salford and Fyle. It’s a rare occurrence you see promoted National league clubs head straight back down these days.

A few years ago the National league play final attracted 50,000 paying spectators, certainly food for thought for the EFL bigwigs.

Northumbiron
    Participant

I dunno NI, getting to London from the North East must be easier than getting to Port Vale, no?

Got family in Cheshire so in the past we’ve combined a visit with a trip to Vale Park. Or this season, Macclesfield.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.