Marine (H)

Iron Bru Forums Blast Furnace Marine (H)

• Author
    mistertonmickmistertonmick
    Participant
    Registered On: December 23, 2013
    Topics: 106

Beestin had a good game, Whitehall is a player fans moan at but you would dread playing against you, but he scored and had an assist so what more do you want in warm conditions, we paced it first half and they tired in the second, if Marine had hit the target with their chances it could have been a different scoreline, I thought Marine were a decent team and gave us a good game, and the older looking central defender was very good for them, their fans really enjoyed themselves and wished us the best of luck and described us as a great club with fantastic fans, and that is not said very often.

cassidystashcassidystash
    Participant
    Registered On: January 4, 2014
    Topics: 104

“Clunan is a nothing captain, with little to no presence or authority. Is he good at doing the phone calls and collecting the subs for the snooker tournaments and golf days?”

He’s quite good at talking to refs but not in the same league as Steven Dawson!

Iron414Iron414
    Participant
    Registered On: May 30, 2024
    Topics: 0

Well it was a tough watch, particularly the first half, but a wins a win. Robert’s not suited to the central role and is wasted in that position. He is technically our best player but if the wages are as reported I’d be inclined to encourage him to move on.
    We looked like Tamworth on Saturday. Hard to break down, direct, scoring from a long throw.
    I don’t like 3-5-2 but can’t argue with the results whilst we are getting them.

AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant
    Registered On: June 20, 2017
    Topics: 160

Scunny fans certainly do seem to have problems with certain goal scorers personally I just don’t get it. Whitehall, King Kev, Toney, Morris, Hayesy of late did the biz yet still questioned, even worse though is many didn’t or don’t want them to do well or even score for that matter. Don’t get me wrong im sure most still want the team to win but without their particular disliked player doing well.
    I must admit I was almost the same over Southgate at one point I was of a mind for England not to win the Euros so he wouldn’t have it on his CV, then i gave my head a wobble and come to my senses.

Iron-aweIron-awe
    Participant
    Registered On: June 21, 2017
    Topics: 11

Well that’s a start you coming to your senses, just keep working on all your other issues and I’m sure you’ll eventually get there.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    mkironMK Iron
    Participant
    Topics: 46

We all see a different game.

Toss up between Beestin, Nicholson and Clunan for man of the match for me.

If there was a man of 10 minutes award then obviously Whitehall gets it.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    SideriteSiderite
    Participant
    Registered On: December 12, 2014
    Topics: 78

Aye. I have been critical of Whitehall in this thread, but can acknowledge he has some very good qualities, as he did show towards the end of the game. It’s not about wanting him out of the squad or anything, it’s just an opinion based on part of the game where I felt he was weak. Ultimately, he did come good in the end and scored a goal and made an assist. Can’t grumble with that aspect at all. Beestin did score twice v Brackley and looked solid on Saturday. Carlton has promise too, so as games progress we will have to drop whoever is playing worst or contributing the least.

As for the performance, it was hard fought throughout and we know games are tough at this level. Many are solid and will look at shoring up their defence and scoring one against us on the counter. It may not have been outright dominance on Saturday, but I didn’t expect it to be. Ultimately, we came through and won, and did v Brackley. Hopefully a sign of things to come.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    cassidystashcassidystash
    Participant
    Registered On: January 4, 2014
    Topics: 104

Butler doesn’t see the introduction of subs as weakening the team (I suppose he has to say that really) But 5 subs gives a greater opportunity to take off somebody not influencing the game and replacing them with somebody that will. Fishburn, Brogan and Rowley have shown the ability to do that and it’s likely we can add Carlton to that list very soon. Good options off the bench for a change. (No offence to Evans & Kelly BTW but they have a different role to play)

Apollo11Apollo11
    Participant
    Registered On: September 21, 2023
    Topics: 37

Butler doesn’t see the introduction of subs as weakening the team (I suppose he has to say that really) But 5 subs gives a greater opportunity to take off somebody not influencing the game and replacing them with somebody that will. Fishburn, Brogan and Rowley have shown the ability to do that and it’s likely we can add Carlton to that list very soon. Good options off the bench for a change. (No offence to Evans & Kelly BTW but they have a different role to play)

I don’t understand why Evans isn’t in the side from the off. Perhaps he’s been carrying a knock or working his way back to full fitness or something?

Ex OfficioEx Officio
    Participant
    Registered On: December 28, 2013
    Topics: 3

I don’t understand why Evans isn’t in the side from the off.

Think last season he would have been first on the team sheet. He may well have not been fully match fit for the first game but as we have now won 2 with clean sheets, and 2 of the back 3 selected having provided 2 goals and one assist + the added threat of his throw, Butler will find it difficult to accommodate him in the short term. (It’s a good problem to have though).

lesgeolesgeo
    Participant
    Registered On: December 25, 2013
    Topics: 96

Drop Clunan??

Iron-aweIron-awe
    Participant
    Registered On: June 21, 2017

Having five good subs is a massive bonus for us and I don’t care if the opposition put on five subs too because five outfielders remain on the pitch for both teams all game and our five will be fitter than their five most games. Gaps appearing last twenty minutes particularly down Marines right flank, we exploited that with Kelly towards the end, a comfortable win for me and a lot of that down to superior fitness IMO.

Apollo11Apollo11
    Participant

Drop Clunan??

I counted one forward pass on Saturday. Everything else went back to the keeper, sideways or out of play.

mkironMK Iron
    Participant
    Topics: 46

Marine obviously felt differently about Clunan given their midfield obviously were working a rota to foul him.

WonderGoalsWonderGoals
    Participant
    Registered On: December 27, 2013
    Topics: 90

I think Clunan is starting to look like the Clunan who was playing brilliantly for the 1st half of last season. I personally think he keeps everything ticking in CM and is very neat and tidy. In don’t understand why people would want him dropped. In fact I find it mystifying.

Deereyme66Deereyme66
    Registered On: May 8, 2017
    Topics: 101

Thought he had a decent game v Brackley. Didn’t see Saturday’s

fans6464
    Registered On: February 14, 2015
    Topics: 444

Drop Clunan??

I counted one forward pass on Saturday. Everything else went back to the keeper, sideways or out of play.

certainly only one of note and sadly for him that went to someone a mile offside

IronSteveSteve
    Participant
    Registered On: December 24, 2013

im not getting all the hype about the actual performance it wasnt that great,first half except the goal was dire improvement second half way better more dominant

On the whole it was competent rather than inspiring. The second half was a big improvement over the first, once the substitutions had been made.

Whitehall’s goal was a belter but he seemed to have an attitude problem up to that point.

Clunan is a nothing captain, with little to no presence or authority. Is he good at doing the phone calls and collecting the subs for the snooker tournaments and golf days?

Why did Whitehall have an attitude?

If you think Clunan is a nothing captain then your judgement is shocking!

McArdle & Boyce from recent memory have been awful captains, how can the quietest player be captain?

TheJuryeffsOutTheJuryeffsOut
    Participant
    Registered On: April 1, 2023

There’s some Olympic quality moaning. Just watched the highlights on YouTube, 3 great goals. Boyce’s header is way better than it looked from the dre.
    Up The Iron !

Apollo11Apollo11
    Participant

How would I know why? That’s a question for Whitehall.

Don’t be so ridiculous. He might do a lot of talking and a lot of pointing, but I’ve never seen any of the other players on the pitch acknowledge or respond. He lacks presence and authority.

IronSteveSteve
    Participant
    Registered On: December 24, 2013

How would I know why? That’s a question for Whitehall.

No it’s a question to you..

Why did he supposedly have one? What’s your reasonings?

Don’t be so ridiculous. He might do a lot of talking and a lot of pointing, but I’ve never seen any of the other players on the pitch acknowledge or respond. He lacks presence and authority.

Plenty of authority for me, funny how the manager seems to think so too.

Apollo11Apollo11
    Participant

No it’s a question to you..

Why did he supposedly have one? What’s your reasonings?

I can’t answer why he seemed to have an attitude. You’d have to ask him why he had one.

But complaining about every decision that went against and not doing much work – worthwhile or otherwise – in the time up to his first goal… those things suggest he was mardy.

Edited to add: I should say, for clarity, I really like Whitehall. He can just be an arse sometimes, and it looked that way for a while on Saturday.

Apollo11Apollo11
    Participant

Plenty of authority for me, funny how the manager seems to think so too.

No, it’s not funny.

lesgeolesgeo
    Participant
    Registered On: December 25, 2013
    Topics: 96

Was our disallowed goal offside? I couldn’t tell but I’ve heard mixed opinions on it.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.