Marine (H)

Iron Bru Forums Blast Furnace Marine (H)

• Author
    AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant
    Registered On: June 20, 2017
    Topics: 160

Haven’t got a clue where them lines come from lol.

Deereyme66Deereyme66
    Registered On: May 8, 2017
    Topics: 101
    Deereyme66Deereyme66
    Registered On: May 8, 2017
    Topics: 101

Saw their manager walking off at the end looking a bit crestfallen, I shouted ” hey Neil it’s just one game Don’t Let It Bring You Down “. Last music link on this topic honest

Alternative shout: ‘but only love can break your heart’

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Iron-aweIron-awe
    Participant
    Registered On: June 21, 2017
    Topics: 11

Have been pleased with our first two games, sure a work in progress and Roberts still looking a bit like a fish out of water but the togetherness, work ethic and superior fitness levels compared to our first two opponents, particularly last twenty minutes has been gratifying. We look a yard sharper in most areas of the pitch and being able to field and use five subs this season can only help us show our superiority by just being full time. More to come from this squad and when Carlton is available next Saturday then AB will have some head scratching to do regarding his starting eleven but it’s a nice situation to have. Really looking forward to this season after the way we have started, plenty to look forward to IMO

WonderGoalsWonderGoals
    Participant
    Registered On: December 27, 2013
    Topics: 90

Roberts struggled again in that role, he looks awkward playing in that position. I’d give him a little while longer, but if he doesn’t improve Brogan needs to be starting.

Carlton is interesting, who would you start him in place of, Whitehall or Beestin ?

Whitehall is a strange one because today his all round game was poor, but popped up with an excelled finish. Beestin obviously isn’t a natural striker, but I think he plays an important role in this team as he’s clever and knits the midfield and attack together and he can also finish as shown against Brackley last sat.

Be interesting to see where Butler goes with it once Carlton is back.

Moving on to today’s performance, unspectacular first half, but improved drastically after the break and knocked in another two goals. We look a completely different team to last season in terms of fitness, team shape and overall physicality of the players.

It does make you think that if we had Butler as manager last season with Schofield as assistant with these fitness levels and more robust players, would we have been promoted with the ability of squad we had last season ?

3 users thanked author for this post.
    cliffbyrnesrightpegCliff Byrne’s Right Peg
    Participant
    Registered On: October 17, 2015
    Topics: 57

Good win against a decent team, who will probably be midtable at the end of the season based on their performance today. The sort of team we struggled to break down last season, so I am pleased we had a convincing win. Butler’s plan to boost fitness seems to be working so far, as I think that was a key difference towards the end as Marine tired.

Roberts is struggling at centre attacking mid and Whitehall took his goal well, but his overall play needs improving. Struggling with headers, strength, passing and controlling the ball. That goal showed his strengths in finishing, but with Beestin playing like that and Carlton waiting in the wings, he needs to be more consistent throughout the game. I like Nicholson and Clunan seems to be stepping it up.

Agree almost word for word. Thought Boyce had a good game too and probably edged MOTM for me.

Found myself comparing us to last season’s first home against P’Boro sports; similarly during periods against them it felt flat and eventually we ended up walking away with a point. Much improved today; early days but it’s refreshing to see a manager proactively managing a game, like for like changes instead of trying to protect a 1-0 lead.

Still plenty to improve on, however a positive start.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    SharpShooter24Sharp_Shooter24
    Participant
    Registered On: April 24, 2014
    Topics: 77

First half was a tough watch, I thought the formation really hampered us and it seems to nullify Whitehall a bit too.
    We lacked width big time!! No atmosphere at all because there was nothing to get behind.
    We were lucky to go in at the break one nil up when 0 vs 0 would probably have been fairer on the balance of play however it’s great to have a serious threat from throw ins.
    Second half was better in particular the last 30 minutes when we changed formation and seemed to move to a 4-4-2… we had better width, looked an attacking threat and played really well with Whitehall looking absolutely deadly and full of energy.
    Roberts is lost playing this current role, at times in the first half we had absolutely nothing in CM.
    Marine looked a solid well organised team but there wasn’t a single point in the match where I thought they’d score, they don’t have enough quality.
    Overall chuffed with the victory and clean sheet, hope we can keep it going.

TheJuryeffsOutTheJuryeffsOut
    Participant
    Registered On: April 1, 2023

Agree with all that’s been said. I thought Barrows had a great game. Nicholson looks like an excellent signing. Denton looked a bit shaky at times. Whitehall didn’t seem happy and after the first half I thought Carlton will walk straight into the team next week but it was a great finish by him and he did well for Fishburns goal. Marine couldn’t cope with the substitutions, we’ve got some great options, Brogan and Rowley both looking good.
    Only 2 games in so we should only get better.

WonderGoalsWonderGoals
    Participant

Roberts is lost playing this current role, at times in the first half we had absolutely nothing in CM

Same as against Brackley when he was subbed at half time, he doesn’t look suited to that role. From out wide cutting in there are few better at this level, but this central attacking role I’m not sure. I’d be surprised if Brogan isn’t picked before long if he doesn’t improve.

Iron-aweIron-awe
    Participant

Whitehall always has been a strange type of player for us, more of a cameo player. Maybe as some say the new system isn’t right for him but for 65 minutes he was largely anonymous but the last twenty five minutes he came alive, got on the end of a long ball over the top and finished superbly then provided an assist for young Fishburn. Beestin ran his nuts off all game and has some nice touches but Whitehall by comparison seems to amble along for most of the game, impressed with Beestins fitness BTW, fittest I’ve ever seen him in an Iron shirt

lesgeolesgeo
    Participant
    Registered On: December 25, 2013
    Topics: 96

Scales lost possession 8 times in the first half. There were several more at the start of the second then, in the latter stages, he seemed to really get it together.
    Denton was about 85% of the player he was a year ago. Let us just hope this is no more than the process of building match fitness.
    Seeing Will Evans in CM really made me think of a way we could make 4-4-2 or 4-1-3-2 work like a dream. Maybe he lacks a bit of guile for CM but would replace that with his huge presence and great ball winning abilities – add in his awesome long passing skills …
    Carlton may have to ‘start from the bench’ next Saturday. You cannot drop either forward.
    I think we’d have drawn that match last season. Fitness at least 10% better.

AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant

Cant understand the downer on Whitehall (well I can really) what more do want him to do if nothing else read the report on the owp, perfect pass to Roberts for disallowed goal, unlucky not to score on 60 mins, scored, then fed fishy for his goal. Wtf up with you.
    Hope he does an Hilton and stops paying sorry I meant playing and gets a move away.
    Ivan Toney was shite as well lol.

TheJuryeffsOutTheJuryeffsOut
    Participant
    Registered On: April 1, 2023

Is there a downer on Whitehall ? He was instrumental in achieving the result, we won’t win this league without him.
    He won’t stop playing to get a move, he’s a top professional with skill, ability and pride. Hilton stopped paying (other than a burger and signed Ilkeston shirt) because…….?
    When was Toney shite ? I must have missed that game.

SideriteSiderite
    Participant
    Registered On: December 12, 2014
    Topics: 78

Cant understand the downer on Whitehall (well I can really) what more do want him to do if nothing else read the report on the owp, perfect pass to Roberts for disallowed goal, unlucky not to score on 60 mins, scored, then fed fishy for his goal. Wtf up with you.
    Hope he does an Hilton and stops paying sorry I meant playing and gets a move away.
    Ivan Toney was shite as well lol.

I would like him to be able to pass, and hold up the ball. I am not saying he is useless, his goal and role in the last goal shows he has worth, but for the first half and the first 20 minutes of the second half he was a liability. Anonymous until later, disrupting the flow of our attacks with rubbish passes or getting easily managed out of the game. It’s not a matter of him being ‘rubbish’, he isn’t for this level at all, it’s just a critique based on what I thought was a poor performance until around minute 65. He has good aspects of his play (e.g. finishing), but some frustrating ones that were hindering us a lot until the last part of the game. At least in my opinion.

AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant

Liability! What planet are you on.
    You must learn when someone’s being sarcastic TJO. “Ivan Tony was shite as well lol”

premierironpremier iron
    Participant
    Registered On: October 6, 2014
    Topics: 28

The new regime regarding increased fitness looks like it does it include Whitehall who for 75 minutes did not look interested. His work rate was pathetic

SideriteSiderite
    Participant

I knew that was sarcastic and made zero reference to it. I live on a planet where him being outmuscled, rubbish at passing and breaking up play wasn’t a good performance for a large chunk of the game. Not saying he’s rubbish all the time, it’s not black and white good or bad, he just was a problem yesterday for a while.

WonderGoalsWonderGoals
    Participant

Whitehall is a great finisher as shown yesterday, but the team fitter as it is now with players all over the pitch working harder, Whitehall does stick out now. I’ll be kind and just say he’s the least hard working player.

Beestin with the role he’s playing working as hard as he does and linking up the midfield and attack, I wouldn’t drop him. Carlton can finish and looks a more complete striker than Whitehall going by pre season so be interesting to see if Whitehall ups his game.

lesgeolesgeo
    Participant
    Registered On: December 25, 2013
    Topics: 96

Six goals in two games so let’s change it round? Huh?

Iron-aweIron-awe
    Participant

AB spoke post match about maybe freshening things up at Needham Market, maybe it could be Fishburn in for Beestin to give him a rest before the Chorley game then play Carlton and Beestin in that one, not that Whitehall needs a rest but it may just get his brain more focused on giving the team 90 minutes instead of just 25.

SideriteSiderite
    Participant

It is not necessarily lack of effort, and players have different roles. Marine had tired for the last 25-30 minutes. That could well have allowed Whitehall the opportunity to find space and be more of a threat.

The problem in this is that some seem to speak as if there is no room for nuance between Whitehall is 100% good or 100% bad. The last 30 minutes of yesterday showed he can be a danger. However, the performance before that was not good and Beestin was outshining at that point. It’s up to the manager and it wouldn’t be outrageous or a shock for Butler to stick with Whitehall, but with Beestin playing consistently and well (plus scoring 2 against Brackley) and Carlton having potential, Whitehall needs to up his consistency in my opinion. None of this is me saying he is a bad player.

We all make mistakes, as I did when I misread the second part of awaywego’s previous post directed at TJO, so it’s not about saying Whitehall is atrocious. He has good aspects and towards the end he showed that. Let’s have more of that.

Ex OfficioEx Officio
    Participant
    Registered On: December 28, 2013
    Topics: 3

Interesting thoughts on Whitehall – what we may be missing is what AB’s instructions to him were. A player that does as he’s asked is worth at least 2 who don’t/won’t. I’m (almost) sure he DIDN’T tell him to dick around for an hour or so (just to wind up Siderite) – then spring into action and latch onto a Fitz special and stick into the net. He may have been made aware that his most effective phase of the game will be in the last third/quarter, so don’t be too knackered then to lose your impact at that time. Not saying it’s the case – just a thought.

Iron-aweIron-awe
    Participant

That’s quite a deep thought analysis Ex Officio and you may well be right but I think you also appreciate that the majority attending yesterday’s game can only go by what unfolded in the 90 minutes.

Ex OfficioEx Officio
    Participant
    Registered On: December 28, 2013
    Topics: 3

Yes – what actually unfolded was a 3-0 win with Whitehall getting one goal and one assist. I’m no Whitehall apologist but stats will be there after the memories.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Iron-aweIron-awe
    Participant

Let’s hope his stats are a sign of things to come and not a one off committed to memory of another disappointing season.

cliffbyrnesrightpegCliff Byrne’s Right Peg
    Participant
    Registered On: October 17, 2015
    Topics: 57

Personally, it’s not the case of wanting him chasing shadows across the front line to look like he’s putting the effort in, just taking an extra touch or moving into space to allow the midfielders to arrive into play to keep an attack flowing- Hayes was brilliant at it. Sometimes it struggles to stick up front and against the better sides we could put ourselves under pressure if the ball is constantly coming back.

The run for the goal and finish was excellent though, and as Ex officio stated, that’s what it boils down to at the end of the day.

premierironpremier iron
    Participant
    Registered On: October 6, 2014
    Topics: 28

Does Whitehall work as hard as Beestin If not why not

SharpShooter24Sharp_Shooter24
    Participant
    Registered On: April 24, 2014
    Topics: 77

I’d take Whitehall over Beestin every single day of the week, if people honestly think that Beestin played brilliantly Saturday then more fool them… he contributed far less than Whitehall did (over the full 90) yet he’s getting a chunk of undeserved praise!!!
    I couldn’t award many players more than a 6 out of 10 on Saturday… not trying to be negative but the performance for 60 minutes was absolutely awful.
    Rowley in for Clunan and Brogan in for Roberts for me, But I’d ideally go 4-4-2 and switch it up a bit more.
    At least we’ve got plenty of options!!

ironfromafarironfromafar
    Participant
    Registered On: October 10, 2021
    Topics: 19

I’d take Whitehall over Beestin every single day of the week, if people honestly think that Beestin played brilliantly Saturday then more fool them… he contributed far less than Whitehall did (over the full 90) yet he’s getting a chunk of undeserved praise!!!
    I couldn’t award many players more than a 6 out of 10 on Saturday… not trying to be negative but the performance for 60 minutes was absolutely awful.
    Rowley in for Clunan and Brogan in for Roberts for me, But I’d ideally go 4-4-2 and switch it up a bit more.
    At least we’ve got plenty of options!!

Agree
    i understand a great 3-0 win against a dogged opponent but im not getting all the hype about the actual performance it wasnt that great,first half except the goal was dire improvement second half way better more dominant especially later on as Marine tired.

Apollo11Apollo11
    Participant
    Registered On: September 21, 2023
    Topics: 37

im not getting all the hype about the actual performance it wasnt that great,first half except the goal was dire improvement second half way better more dominant

On the whole it was competent rather than inspiring. The second half was a big improvement over the first, once the substitutions had been made.

Whitehall’s goal was a belter but he seemed to have an attitude problem up to that point.

Clunan is a nothing captain, with little to no presence or authority. Is he good at doing the phone calls and collecting the subs for the snooker tournaments and golf days?

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.