Losing Hope….

Iron Bru Forums Blast Furnace Losing Hope….

• Author
    Iron147Tom
    Participant
    Registered On: February 2, 2016
    Topics: 24

Hasn’t been anything positive for a good 4/5 years now.

The recruitment has nothing short of pathetic. Some of the worst players I’ve seen in a scunny shirt this year.

The football this last season is up there with the worst the football league has seen. I’ve never seen professional footballer unable to string 3 passes together.

To all us fans it looks like Swann is just letting the club rot and rot until he gets a nice juicy offer. His promises and promises had just killed the club.

This season we are almost a week away from first pre season game and we have a load of kids and a few rejects who wasn’t good enough last season. Looks like either waiting till July starts or just simply nobody wants to come.

Unfortunately there is nothing what so ever to look forward to 😞

lesgeolesgeo
    Participant
    Registered On: December 25, 2013
    Topics: 96

As we stand currently – relegation looks a certainty.
    Imminently – there will have been a whole week of training with just one new body in the setup.
    As Tom points out, we’ll soon be into pre-season games and even if signings are made at this very late stage – this is appalling preparation for an allegedly professional football club.
    I have done ‘my Cassandra warnings’ about the twin dangers of late signings and players who will not have had enough time working together. Cassandra’s warnings were doomed never to be heeded.
    This means that there is one difference – the Iron fans do indeed recognise the dangers but the powers-that-be do not – or maybe choose not to do so?

FerriteFerrite
    Participant
    Registered On: December 23, 2013
    Topics: 101

The only surprise in this post is that it’s taken this long for the OP to begin to lose hope. I thought hope left down several years ago!

Running a successful club is about more than just spending money, it’s about making best use of the resources you have available. It feels a long time since the club over-achieved on its spending.

7 users thanked author for this post.
    DragonironDragoniron
    Participant
    Topics: 4

Think this is what Swann actually intended when he said Gainsborough would be as big as Scunthorpe (I don’t know if he actually ever said that, but for comedic value, let’s presume he did).

1 user thanked author for this post.
    NorthumbironNorthumbiron
    Registered On: January 3, 2014
    Topics: 66

Thought this was a retrospective post about Chris going to Gillingham!

How we could do with a figure like him in these dark days.

7 users thanked author for this post.
    lesgeolesgeo
    Participant

Every passing day and the hope diminishes ever further.
    Never imagined it could be this bad.
    Too little training together equates to a poor start to the season. (Again)

3 users thanked author for this post.
    Anonymous
    Inactive
    Registered On:
    Topics: 11

The season is 5 1/2 weeks away yet.

Our first home friendly isn’t for another 2 1/2 weeks.

The National League also doesn’t have a transfer window so we can add to the squad as and when players become available. Relax.

SD0101SD0101
    Participant
    Registered On: March 31, 2022
    Topics: 5

Yes plenty of time for the loanee bus to rumble into town with two or three jumping off at glanford park. You no the ones..been on our radar a long time,shown a lot of promise ,highly thought of,and a third team goalkeeper under twenty years of age. Oh how that whispering will start in the changing room.

Deereyme66Deereyme66
    Registered On: May 8, 2017

‘Relax’?! Not being funny UTI99, but you’ve been trusting in Swann for years now and look where the club is. How can anyone relax?

Anonymous
    Inactive
    Registered On:

I’m trusting in Hill, otherwise we’d already have more Jarvis, Mooney, etc type signings in the building.

lesgeolesgeo
    Participant

The longer the delay in signings – almost without exception – the poorer the quality of incomers.
    I don’t care what anyone says – Hill cannot and must not be held responsible for him managing a sixth rate squad in a fifth rate division.

6 users thanked author for this post.
    ironkingironking
    Participant
    Registered On: October 8, 2014
    Topics: 71

I lose hope everytime Uti99 posts his pro-club “everything in the garden is so Rosey, Monty Don must be the gardener”,stuff.

lesgeolesgeo
    Participant

But what if UTI is not actually a club stooge and really believes what he (she?) is writing?

Anonymous
    Inactive
    Registered On:

What’s the alternative? Wallow in self pity like you lot? No thanks.

mistertonmickmistertonmick
    Participant
    Topics: 106

When you suffer with Mental Health you need a lift to make you feel a bit better, but what has gone on over the past 4 years is affecting everyone so anyone feeling down about SUFC knows what it feels like when you suffer from Anxiety UTI99

PaulSanfran49
    Participant
    Topics: 70

I would think in those trialists he will have a couple of possibles. Also would not be surprised if a keeper was being kept secret. Unless of course wonder boy has been in training !!

As usual the EGO does not like people to gain any enthusiasm, been like for the last 9 years.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    Anonymous
    Inactive
    Registered On:

9 years? Don’t let facts get in the way of a good story.

cassidystashcassidystash
    Participant
    Registered On: January 4, 2014
    Topics: 104

The National League also doesn’t have a transfer window so we can add to the squad as and when players become available. Relax.

You are completely (maybe deliberately) missing the point that les and others are making. Yes, we have 5 1/2 weeks until the season starts so we could sign players then and later but the players then have to integrate and probably catch up fitness wise. Surely even a blinkered “I’ll clap whatever” like you can see how problematic this is. We can sign 10 players in December, integrate them by February and have them fit for March just in time to participate in next seasons relegation. All players need to be ready to go in 4-5 weeks to give us the best chance of survival.

4 users thanked author for this post.
    Everytime refereePat O’Cake
    Participant
    Registered On: December 27, 2013
    Topics: 17

Are you taking the piss???

Anonymous
    Inactive
    Registered On:

How many of those currently training including the 3 known trialists are you already writing off as not good enough for the NL?

FerriteFerrite
    Participant

I’m trusting in Hill, otherwise we’d already have more Jarvis, Mooney, etc type signings in the building.

Well I think we can all agree that Keith “2 league wins in more than half a season” Hill has proven himself without doubt to be worthy of this trust, especially with his stellar signings such as Joe “2 goals” Nuttall, Liam “tricky winger” Feeney or Sam “disappeared by April” Burns?

Not exactly a ringing endorsement of the former chairman, is it?

mkironMK Iron
    Participant
    Topics: 46

No one on here has any idea as to the suitability of the trialists.

The 3 of them have been of National League quality or better in the past but all have been deemed not good enough for their previous clubs. That is why they are on trial.

Of the rest I would say any 11 of them as a team are not good enough for the National League. Any 5 or 6 of them put together with 5 or 6 newcomers that have experience of mens professional football, high fitness levels and a positive mindset would make a team good enough to survive and maybe even thrive in the National League.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    Registered On:

Maybe not but a 41% win ratio at Rochdale and 50% win ratio at Tranmere lean towards him having some idea.

mistertonmickmistertonmick
    Participant
    Topics: 106

What was his ratio here last season

Anonymous
    Inactive
    Registered On:

Well considering the players froze out and the youngsters used it’s no wonder is it.

ironkingironking
    Participant
    Registered On: October 8, 2014
    Topics: 71

Bunn and O Neill were trialists in pre-season friendlies last season, both were crap.

The happy clappy gang tried to find positives and they were signed.

Both proved worse than even their pre-season games showed. It will be poorer this year with less budget and a club firmly on the decline.

FerriteFerrite
    Participant

Very harsh on Bunn there Ironking.

What was his ratio here last season

6%. 2 wins in 33 league games. 15 points from a possible 99.

4 users thanked author for this post.
    cassidystashcassidystash
    Participant
    Registered On: January 4, 2014
    Topics: 104

How many of those currently training including the 3 known trialists are you already writing off as not good enough for the NL?

Bunney. I’d take Ntlhe subject to fitness and also Whitehouse if he’s the other confirmed. I don’t think many of last back ends youngsters are ready yet but happy to be proved wrong.

lesgeolesgeo
    Participant

Yeah. They are all undercooked to one extent or another, Cass, but where would we have been now if KH hadn’t given them as many games as he could?
    Hard to believe – but the current situation could have been even worse still.

At this point, O Malley, Rowe and two others in the first 11 is probably the best we can hope for.
    Absence of goal-scorers is going to be the final nail in the coffin unless …

Square Ball BullimoreSquare Ball Bullimore
    Participant
    Registered On: December 24, 2013
    Topics: 5

I would think in those trialists he will have a couple of possibles. Also would not be surprised if a keeper was being kept secret. Unless of course wonder boy has been in training !!

McKeown

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.