Legal or Illegal

Iron Bru Forums Blast Furnace Legal or Illegal

• Author
    BottesfordIrons5North Lincolnshire Irons
    Participant
    Registered On: September 30, 2017
    Topics: 58

Is it legal to steal a clubs assets? Is it legal to then take out a mortgage on such assets?
    Is it legal to then try to sell the lot?
    Why aren’t the FA and EFL looking into this?

AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant
    Registered On: June 20, 2017
    Topics: 160

He owned it all and has not stole anything.

Participant

Is it legal not to pay HMRC whilst gambling money away and not paying staff members wages.

Maybe it’s legal but it’s certainly obscene.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Participant

A sports legislator for football clubs is certainly required but it may be too late for our beloved Scunthorpe United.
    This will affect generations of families if our Club goes into extinction.
    All this because of one person alone, SWANN.

AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant

That’s what gamblers do I’m afraid.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    DesertironDesertiron
    Participant
    Registered On: September 3, 2022
    Topics: 0

The key question is the mortgage one. Is it legal to take a mortgage, which would probably have a lien on the stadium if it is a protected community asset without prior approval from the council. I suspect that one is shaky ground for Swann but it would be interesting to hear from someone with relevant legal knowledge.

cliffbyrnesrightpegCliff Byrne’s Right Peg
    Participant
    Registered On: October 17, 2015
    Topics: 57

I don’t have the legal knowledge but believe the community asset tag only means that if the ground was put up for sale, the trust/council have to be informed so they can prepare a bid.

DesertironDesertiron
    Participant
    Registered On: September 3, 2022
    Topics: 0

It’s worth checking as if he defaulted on the mortgage then the bank or whoever loaned him the money would probably have the right to seize it so I don’t think he should be able to legally take a mortgage on it without informing the council as effectively it’s tantamount to a sale. What’s to stop him otherwise transferring it to another company and mortgaging it up to the eyeballs.

IronaweIronawe
    Participant
    Registered On: December 31, 2013
    Topics: 41

The corporate system is set up to help charlatans like Swann (and Zahawi) to do what they want. He should be struck off as a director but he won’t be; its morally and ethically obscene but the system is set up to punish somebody on benefits who took £50 rather than somebody actively destroying a community asset or forgetting to pay tax on £27m.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    Participant

That’s a good point Desertiron and one worth looking into. I know we are clutching at straws to try and save our Club but you never know.

fans6464
    Registered On: February 14, 2015
    Topics: 444

I don’t have the legal knowledge but believe the community asset tag only means that if the ground was put up for sale, the trust/council have to be informed so they can prepare a bid.

They have 6 weeks to inform of an intention to prepare a bid then a set period to get it together ,I believe 6 months. Hopefully then this would be when the trust/council can actually intervene and get fund raining.
    I think it has to go on open sale for that to happen 1stly,I don’t know the definition of open market ,I’ll try find out
    I’s also be careful about accusing someone who can afford solicitors of doing anything illegal,it’s clear he hasn’t and a rhetorical question could still be seen as an accusation.

AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant

The trust 64 what do they do?

fans6464
    Registered On: February 14, 2015
    Topics: 444

Nothing you or I cannot ,I think they would add a certain amount of “trust” to any attempt at raising funds for the acquisition of the ground as they have friends in low /high places that any individual might not have.
    This would be a good use of the trust in my opinion ,other than just fund raising for a wild aim that nobody is sure about where to send funds or what they can be for.I think if it’s possible a community owned ground would solve a lot of issues but the for sale boards are not up in an open market as yet as I see it.
    The irons financial state is an issue right now now but the club going bust is one thing but the ground in private hands leaves them very vulnerable .a publicly owned ground in trust is a huge safety net which would always have a home for a club bearing our name.
    At present Swann is trying to sell as a whole so this option isn’t available

Anonymous
    Inactive
    Registered On:
    Topics: 59

Can you raffle something that doesn’t belong to you?

Lord KitchenerLord Kitchener
    Participant
    Registered On: December 24, 2013
    Topics: 36

Is it legal to steal a clubs assets? Is it legal to then take out a mortgage on such assets?
    Is it legal to then try to sell the lot?
    Why aren’t the FA and EFL looking into this?

Ask Man United fans, they have had this from the Glazer family for many years now.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.