Registered On: January 12, 2014
    Topics: 47

Yay, TFI Friday! Clocking off. See you in the pub 😀

You need a new calendar DM!

Iron-aweIron-awe
    Participant
    Registered On: June 21, 2017
    Topics: 11

Come on bobby not like you not to keep up.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    premierironpremier iron
    Participant
    Registered On: October 6, 2014
    Topics: 28

I am not a Colchester supporter but I know how long it takes for a new team to get used to playing together

lesgeolesgeo
    Participant
    Registered On: December 25, 2013
    Topics: 96

That’s the worry.

mkironMK Iron
    Participant
    Registered On: December 23, 2013
    Topics: 46

Let’s face it Cox’s team never did get used to playing together.

Onwards and hopefully upwards.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    mkironMK Iron
    Participant

Anyone needing cheering up listen to Keith’s interview on Hullberside today.

If we could play like Keith talks we have nothing to worry about.

Iron-aweIron-awe
    Participant

I am not a Colchester supporter but I know how long it takes for a new team to get used to playing together

Go on the thread ” Colchester fan on the league so far ” read it and have a laugh, I assure you it was nothing personal premier iron.

AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant
    Registered On: June 20, 2017
    Topics: 160

Swanny must be loving Hill, encouraging more supporters to attend, even got UNITY into his pre match interview. And all that after losing the last 6 games, should keep his gob shut Imo till we win a few then ask. But then again I wish he would just stick to managing the team.

cassidystashcassidystash
    Participant
    Registered On: January 4, 2014
    Topics: 104

Go on the thread ” Colchester fan on the league so far ” read it and have a laugh, I assure you it was nothing personal premier iron.

He’ll get it tomorrow if he goes to GP!!

BobbyGmeisterBobbyGmeister
    Participant
    Registered On: January 12, 2014
    Topics: 47

Come on bobby not like you not to keep up.

It’s exactly like me, not keeping up!😃

Deereyme66Deereyme66
    Registered On: May 8, 2017
    Topics: 101

‘He’ll get it tomorrow if he goes to GP!!’

Pub’s quiet for a Friday night….

ironfromafarironfromafar
    Participant
    Registered On: October 10, 2021
    Topics: 19

If we could play like Keith talks we have nothing to worry about.

Got to agree with that .. we would be toppa the league.

Oldhamn have strengthened their squad in the window ..plus new manager bounce ..gonna be a tough game tomorrow and IMO make or break and a win is a must, alas im going for an entertaining score draw .. PLEASE NOT A DEFEAT !!

Im happy with the players Hill has brought in in the window and pretty obvious these are Hills signings (no interference) theres more grit and experience in there now , Swann has supported Hill as he said he would …. now i just hope they gel from the get go.

I hope all the fans that can go do go and get behind the NEW IRON .. enjoy n sing yer hearts out for the lads.

UP THE IRON

NorthumbironNorthumbiron
    Registered On: January 3, 2014
    Topics: 66

plus new manager bounce ..

New…old manager bounce!

Lord KitchenerLord Kitchener
    Participant
    Registered On: December 24, 2013
    Topics: 36

Im happy with the players Hill has brought in in the window and pretty obvious these are Hills signings (no interference) theres more grit and experience in there now , Swann has supported Hill as he said he would …. now i just hope they gel from the get go.

I hope all the fans that can go do go and get behind the NEW IRON .. enjoy n sing yer hearts out for the lads.

UP THE IRON

It is a home game, so it is going to be the same miserable atmosphere as the usual suspects continue to moan in the DRE. With a few exceptions, it has been like that for all the home matches I remember. Going back to the nineteen seventies.

Lord KitchenerLord Kitchener
    Participant
    Topics: 36

Just been listening to Keith’s interview with bbc sounds: It’s been a while since I heard an Iron manager espouse such intelligence and positivity: I hope I’m not posting something that has already been discussed here.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p0bm0j89

UTBI

4 users thanked author for this post.
    AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant

Learn to keep your gob shut Mr Hill the fans turned up like you asked,even after 6 defeats on the bounce, to see the same old same old. Fans expect and demand better than that.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    alcazaralcazar
    Participant
    Topics: 50

Just been listening to Keith’s interview with bbc sounds: It’s been a while since I heard an Iron manager espouse such intelligence and positivity: I hope I’m not posting something that has already been discussed here.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p0bm0j89

UTBI

Unfortunately his team have today recorded their seventh straight defeat, having scored just two goals in those seven games and conceded thirteen.

cassidystashcassidystash
    Participant

And the player that scored them absent, have we ever put out a team with such little goal threat. Can any statto advise the total number of league goals scored by that team in the last 2 seasons?

Iron-aweIron-awe
    Participant

Think the next 17 games are what counts not the past two seasons, what is done is done, keep going and supporting or keep going and keep moaning or stop going and keep moaning or just stop. Endless permutations, I’m going to keep going and just say it as it is as it happens, what happened with certain players 1,2,3 or whatever seasons back means nothing constructive now, what matters is the manager working with these current players he all knows from previous times and working hard NOW to get best out of them NOW,nothing else from years back is relevant and will probably be counter productive anyway. Concentrate on the last 17 games and then let’s see, personally I think we are done but looking back means nowt IMO.

AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant

Which bookies does Mr Hills friend use, I’ll have some of that 9to1 for relegation, it’s an imaginary friend really though isn’t it?. Just managers spiel he’s coming out with. We know we’re in the shite Mr Hill that’s why you were brought in to do something about it. Please get on and do it.

mkironMK Iron
    Participant

If Keith Hill was good enough to turn around the 4 years of decline in 3 months then he would be managing a Champions League side – not trying to work the miracle with ten bob players at the Sinking Sands.

6 users thanked author for this post.
    BottesfordIrons5North Lincolnshire Irons
    Participant
    Registered On: September 30, 2017
    Topics: 58

The first half yesterday we matched Oldham, not much in it. But the way Oldham came out in the second half and for a good 20 or 30 minutes totally outplayed us, I just couldn’t believe was happening. We couldn’t get any possession or even get out of our own half. If they had a decent striker they would have scored 2 or 3 more goals. I feel their manager got his tactics totally right on the day. They played with the wind in the first half and were putting more balls in the air but second half to be fair to them played some decent football and looked miles better than us. I couldn’t understand Hills comment on Burns nearing burn-out and don’t believe it. The one player who I thought could play off Nuttall and grab some goals. The player who scored 2 in a match. I hope he is playing on Tuesday as yesterday we didn’t look any better regarding getting goals. Nuttall and Pyke don’t look anywhere near match fit and can’t be expected to cover all the pitch.

cokeovenkidcokeovenkid
    Participant
    Registered On: January 13, 2014
    Topics: 1

When we sign professionals and they contribute absolutely nothing the smart arses among us point out it’s our fault, what do we expect ? After all we gave them the contracts. Shouldn’t we at least expect any professional footballers we sign to be able to compete for 90 minutes?. Should we be paying them for how many minutes they can compete for ?. Burn out me arse

WonderGoalsWonderGoals
    Participant
    Registered On: December 27, 2013
    Topics: 90

To be fair he’s a young kid from u23’s played 3 games in a week and the amount of work he get’s through is admirable, yes you’re right we should expect all players to get 90mins out of game in game out but he’s an undercooked kid in footballing terms not a robot.

The other players Hill had to sign, through no fault of his own are nowhere near match fit.

WonderGoalsWonderGoals
    Participant
    Registered On: December 27, 2013
    Topics: 90

“The first half yesterday we matched Oldham, not much in it. But the way Oldham came out in the second half and for a good 20 or 30 minutes totally outplayed us, I just couldn’t believe was happening”

You must be awfully naive then if you didn’t know what was happening. Hill was able to sign the players he signed because no other team wanted them due to not having hardly any minutes at their parent clubs.

The players second half look cream crackered. Nuttall for instance, last 90 mins was 2 years go. Sinclair, Grant, Pyke and Feeney have had very little game time, which means they’re going to tire before the opposition which obviously means they’re unfortunately going to get overrun before they gain match fitness and get up to speed.

I suspect what happened against Oldham in the second half will happen for at least next, say 5 matches until they get up to speed. This is Swann’s fault for not clearing the embargo.

NorthumbironNorthumbiron
    Registered On: January 3, 2014
    Topics: 66

Good job we didn’t sign Calvin Andrew then!

Anonymous
    Inactive
    Registered On:

WG, whose money should Swann have used to clear the embargo? Would you rather be financially stable in the National League or carrying an interest bearing loan in League 2 IF we stayed up?

cassidystashcassidystash
    Participant

It will be the EFL’s money used to repay the loan, the money that was borrowed initially, that’s how loans work.

apbeapb
    Participant
    Topics: 0

The point I suppose is that we signed players whose prospect of gainful employment elsewhere was limited.

If the story is to be believed we have a budget that would place us in the bottom half of the national league which means trying to bring in quality, unless you’re going to try and run with a squad of 14 or 15, is virtually impossible.

The fact Hill knows the players in question in some respects is almost irrelevant.

I’m sure he knows hundreds of players, but we can’t afford most of them.

You only have to look at the game time and recent scoring records (or lack thereof) of the players who he’s brought in to realise why we were able to afford them and why we didn’t have to beat off an army of other clubs to get them. Basically we were left scavenging for left overs and scraps on deadline day.

Being kind, defensively I don’t actually think we’re that bad, and as a side I don’t see a lack of effort – but the lack of quality in the middle of the park and further up the field is absolutely frightening.

It’s significantly worse than I can ever remember and I go back nearly 50 years – and have seen lots of dross, particularly back in the 70’s (when crowds were significantly lower than now might I add).

That comes down to wages, pure and simple. We can’t compete with the rest of the division in terms of players who are sought after to any extent.

Assuming we go down, then under Swann sadly we’ll face exactly the same issue in the National League next season.

It doesn’t matter to an extent who he puts in charge either.

If you’ve got a crappy 3 wheel van that’s 40 years old you can put Lewis Hamilton behind the wheel and he’s still not getting a ton out of it down the motorway.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    Registered On:

CT, pretty confident that money isn’t just sat in a club bank account somewhere doing nothing.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.