Keeper on trial

Iron Bru Forums Blast Furnace Keeper on trial

• Author
    JohnGaylesNuttingKitJohnGaylesNuttingKit
    Participant
    Registered On: May 26, 2017
    Topics: 10

Bit of an unexpected one, Halifax are also playing tonight with a trialist keeper it could be Sam Johnson? Stranger that he has played friendlies for them already in July and so seemingly wasn’t released.

Regardless, liked the look of Campbell on Saturday, made some excellent saves when the defence dropped him in it. Nice to have a backup keeper who looks capable of challenging for a place.

Iron414Iron414
    Participant
    Registered On: May 30, 2024
    Topics: 0

Can anyone at the game confirm if Fitzsimons is on the bench?

Participant

Apparently he has his kit on and Campbell doesn’t, apparently it might actually be Kian Johnson who is ex-Donny

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Iron414Iron414
    Participant

Strange one… I can’t see us carrying 3 GK’s this season on our vastly reduced budget.

Participant

Maybe Butler doing Johnson a favour? Does seem strange either way

WonderGoalsWonderGoals
    Participant
    Registered On: December 27, 2013
    Topics: 90

Campbell might be injured as he didn’t have his training kit on. No idea why Fitz didn’t play though.

Iron414Iron414
    Participant

Think a favour would be letting him train with us, but to play him 90 mins in a game (albeit a friendly), at the expense of getting minutes into our existing keepers… I reckon thats more like a potential signing.

ironfromafarironfromafar
    Participant
    Registered On: October 10, 2021
    Topics: 19

Strange one… I can’t see us carrying 3 GK’s this season on our vastly reduced budget.

SURELY No way should/will the club have 3 keepers for the upcoming season squad, at the same time moving fixtures for amongst other things budget reasons an extra keeper simply isnt needed so would be mightily strange if it happens.

Unless of course if Fitz is leaving ????????

WonderGoalsWonderGoals
    Participant

According to Schofield he’s simply here on trial and got game time. I can’t see him being on much and was on trial at Notts County before he went to play in U.A.E, so must have something about him.

I imagine we’re planning for the future because I don’t see Fitz staying beyond this season if we don’t go up this time. Long term thinking maybe at play here.

ironfromafarironfromafar
    Participant
    Registered On: October 10, 2021
    Topics: 19

According to Schofield he’s simply here on trial and got game time. I can’t see him being on much and was on trial at Notts County before he went to play in U.A.E, so must have something about him.

I imagine we’re planning for the future because I don’t see Fitz staying beyond this season if we don’t go up this time. Long term thinking maybe at play here.

Agree the squad is shaping up pretty well but when the pennies are tight surely you dont take an extra keeper a season in advance when vital wonga could be directed elsewhere.

Has someone come in for Fitz ? and hes in need time to decide mode that would be a shame but again possibly a nice fee involved being as hes under contract. time will tell.

In his post Bottesford interview Schof skirted around the trialist keeper subject and basically did a Manuel “i know northing”

DragonironDragoniron
    Participant
    Registered On: December 23, 2013
    Topics: 4

My source tells me they’re looking to save Fitz’s 2k a week. 5 players make up 50% of the wage bill, him being one!

fans6464
    Registered On: February 14, 2015
    Topics: 444

Can’t say he stood out really either

FerriteFerrite
    Participant
    Topics: 101

My source tells me they’re looking to save Fitz’s 2k a week. 5 players make up 50% of the wage bill, him being one!

The guy who left Chesterfield, a kick away from promotion to the Football League, to sign for Hilton’s Mercenaries? Aye, I reckon we should be looking at offers for him, tbh.

mkironMK Iron
    Participant
    Topics: 46

I like Fitz but makes financial sense. Perfectly competent keepers around for a grand a week or less.

Are we looking for new homes for Roberts and Kelly who are probably on at least as much.

Roberts doesn’t seem to have a natural place in the new formation and he’s got through most of pre season without injury (hastily touches nearest wood). Higher level teams have surely noticed.

FerriteFerrite
    Participant

From what I have seen of Roberts, he’s clearly a good player, but in many ways he makes us quite easy to play against because he always cuts back into traffic. Teams that want to defend deep against us will be happy with that.

mkironMK Iron
    Participant
    Topics: 46

I think a fit Roberts is probably 3 leagues better than where he currently is. I don’t think we have even seen him properly match fit. He’s not really played a sustained spell for 3 years so he is much like Beestin in that he needs 5 games or so to get match sharp.

When fit he will waltz through low blocks at this level. Can Butler turn him into a number 10 though?

3 users thanked author for this post.
    WonderGoalsWonderGoals
    Participant

Campbell looks a good keeper to me and the lad on trial pulled off one really good save last night but too early to tell if he’s any good as he didn’t have to face all that much.

Kelly will be on a lot and we don’t even really need him as Law and Denton can play wing back. Roberts could play in behind two strikers in an advanced midfield role but doesn’t naturally fit into this system and Fitz is a really good keeper, but Campbell looks more than capable to replace him.

I could see those 3 being on a 2k or near 2k a week as they were signed from teams higher up in Hilton’s time here. Paying that for players at this level is mental.

Roberts is a good player, but just goes to show with that young lad last night on trial that there are capable players out there. If young Braithwaite keeps it up in our next two matches, you’d have though he’d be a good addition and he’s only 20yrs old. Roberts makes me feel uneasy because you know an injury is coming, you just don’t know when.

Kelly and Fitz we could move on now and be fine. Roberts would be harder to replace but we have a lot of CM’s anyway and Braithwaite may keep impressing/improving and could sign. As a straight winger Roberts would be a hell of a lot harder to replace but not sure that’s the case as he’ll be playing centrally now in this system.

cassidystashcassidystash
    Participant
    Registered On: January 4, 2014
    Topics: 104

If any team at a realistic level need to match Fitz’s wages then they will probably not be looking to pay a fee. Would we let him go on a free to save the money?
    Unfortunately Kelly is the one from whom we’re not getting VFM but that’s hardly his fault. Too expensive for back up in NLN I reckon. (I’m only guessing he’s on a decent wage as he arrived as one of the best LBs in NL.)

FerriteFerrite
    Participant

If any team at a realistic level need to match Fitz’s wages then they will probably not be looking to pay a fee. Would we let him go on a free to save the money?

Yes, I reckon transfer fees are pretty negligible at this level and I assume he’s only got a year left on his contract anyway.

BigLeftToeBigLeftToe
    Participant
    Registered On: June 6, 2017
    Topics: 6

(I’m only guessing he’s on a decent wage as he arrived as one of the best LBs in NL.)

One of the best left backs in the NL? Where did that nugget of information come from? He started less than half of Eastleigh’s games in the season prior to joining us.

cassidystashcassidystash
    Participant
    Registered On: January 4, 2014
    Topics: 104

I think the chairman told us.

cliffbyrnesrightpegCliff Byrne’s Right Peg
    Participant
    Registered On: October 17, 2015
    Topics: 57

I think a fit Roberts is probably 3 leagues better than where he currently is. I don’t think we have even seen him properly match fit. He’s not really played a sustained spell for 3 years so he is much like Beestin in that he needs 5 games or so to get match sharp.

When fit he will waltz through low blocks at this level. Can Butler turn him into a number 10 though?

I think we only just started to see glimpses before the second injury; can’t remember the opposition but there was one game where he tore them to shreds.

The problem we saw last year- especially with Butterfield in the second half of the season- is that teams pack out the middle and nullify any threat within the space a number 10 occupies. Maybe 2 up front will create extra space for him in there next year ?

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.