Participant
    Registered On: May 25, 2017
    Topics: 6

signed till end of season

MightyIronMightyIron
    Participant
    Registered On: May 26, 2017
    Topics: 0

Small step in the right direction, he works hard for the team so that’s good enough for me.

vadervader
    Participant
    Registered On: October 21, 2017

Rather than a boy in a green Jersey a GK is the next priority, Watson must cost at least a goal a game(apart from the 1in50 games he plays a blinder)

cassidystashcassidystash
    Participant
    Registered On: January 4, 2014
    Topics: 85

Hope he’s fit enough for early action, should have been done 3 months ago. I presume the manager knows who he is.

MightyIronMightyIron
    Participant
    Registered On: May 26, 2017
    Topics: 0

Stick any non-league or semi-pro keeper between the sticks in League 2 and they’d have a good game every now and again.

AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant
    Registered On: June 20, 2017
    Topics: 141

Great news, well done Swanny and I mean Swanny defo not a Cox signing.

cassidystashcassidystash
    Participant

Probably play him at RB then?

scunnymatt88scunnymatt88
    Participant
    Registered On: May 30, 2017
    Topics: 1

Signs of desperation and a swanny tactic to try keep a few clappers still on side…personally i would have brought joe murphy back in the summer and id like to think we could sign an experienced leader at the back…peter clarke who has just been released by fleetwood would be my prefered choice or even take a look at jack hobbs who is another free agent. We need a spine and some leadership instead of kids who arent prepared to roll sleeves up.

waltersleftfootwaltersleftfoot
    Participant

Clarke is a great shout Matt,experience at this level

waltersleftfootwaltersleftfoot
    Participant

Sorry Clarke is at Tranmere,but Hobbs would do a job 9 appearances for us on loan in the championship

WonderGoalsWonderGoals
    Participant
    Registered On: December 27, 2013
    Topics: 82

Signing another CB is out of the question, Onariase and McGahey when he’s back will be more than good enough. In my opinion we have much more important players we need. A GK, RB and CM are all absolute musts.

Ben Alnick 33 yr old gk, previously at Bolton is available, as is Mark Howard 34yr old gk..also Paul Jones 34yr old gk previously at Sheff Wednesday.

Anthony Wordsworth for CM and Calum Woods at RB. Woods played 12 games last season in lg 1 with two assists so he must still have something to offer.

All those GK’s are better than Watson and all experienced.

Iron-aweIron-awe
    Participant
    Registered On: June 21, 2017
    Topics: 11

Great move IMO, Junior was excellent last time around for us and more importantly he will bring experience and confidence to a very young raw team. Just need an experienced keeper and McGahey fully fit and the back four may resemble something more appropriate for league two.

cliffbyrnesrightpegCliff Byrne’s Right Peg
    Participant
    Registered On: October 17, 2015
    Topics: 50

Peter Clarke is at Tranmere.

The amount of players we have on the books is ridiculous considering we are suppose to be in financial dire straights

WonderGoalsWonderGoals
    Participant

Iron awe, we need a RB and an experienced CM player….signing a GK won’t be enough. Spence is a good enough player but we need a calm head in CM.

Nobody at the club seems to rate Rowe and Clarke’s a perma crock.

DarrynStampGoalMachineDarrynStampGoalMachine
    Participant
    Registered On: May 21, 2018
    Topics: 8

Good start. 2 more needed quickly at a minimum.

Keeper being the obvious desperate priority.

Howard is a good shout decent keeper,
    Alnick is another good experienced keeper. Be delighted with either of those.

Not sure I know Paul Jones apart from the ex Southampton keeper who must be pushing 50.

Iron-aweIron-awe
    Participant
    Registered On: June 21, 2017
    Topics: 11

Doubt you will get another RB in WG if there is a ghost of a chance Clark being fit anytime before Xmas, this chairman will wait and wait until Clark is ruled out till after January before he acts and yes I know it will be too late by then but the Prawn won’t have it any other way.

WonderGoalsWonderGoals
    Participant

If we sign an experienced GK, RB and CM with McGahey due back, we’ll be alright. Van Veen to come in later on as well.

We need those experienced heads for the spine desperately. If Clarke wasn’t a perma crock we wouldn’t need a RB but some bright spark signed him back up and made him captain.

Good Ole Swannster.

I was surprised with the quality of experienced players without clubs when I looked last night.

Anthony Wordsworth 31yrs old, plenty of games under his belt..surprised he was without a club. A RB who played at league one level last season who’s available and those GK’s.

Only question is if the budget is taken up with Swann’s scatter gun approach in going for quantity over quality.

I know people may say “oh, well if they were any good, they wouldn’t be without clubs” but with the cap now put on clubs they simply have reduced budgets and at our level have to pad their squads out with youngsters so a lot of these experienced players just find themselves with a club.

You could very well be right but signing an experienced RB until end of the season wouldn’t carry that much risk providing we can stump up his wage.

Swann needs to go deep in his pocket and pay Dales contract up, we have enough wingers and he’s not getting game time. May as well move him on and get a few free agents in, in his place.

Deereyme66Deereyme66
    Registered On: May 8, 2017
    Topics: 87

Brown is an excellent signing but it’s the usual strategy of doing things as cheap as possible until a crack the the size of the Grand Canyon appears. It’s only a small step in the right direction following a stampede in the wrong one.

scunnymatt88scunnymatt88
    Participant
    Registered On: May 30, 2017
    Topics: 1

Just a few more suggestions regarding free agents…

GK-Mark howard or luke steele

RB- Chris solly

CM- Tom pett, Jacob butterfield, dean parrott and anthony wordsworth.

LW/RW- Danny rowe, Isaac buckley-ricketts and nathan dyer

ST- Alex jones, Calvin andrew, Steven davies and Jacob blyth.

bartonscorpionbartonscorpion
    Participant
    Registered On: July 20, 2015
    Topics: 43

i am very glad to see the return of Junor Brown, he played well forus last season, but I do not know how he will fit in withthe present shower, and the Cox tactics, and being a full back playing in front of a knightmare keeper.

WonderGoalsWonderGoals
    Participant

Scunnymatt, as I said above…I was genuinely surprised who are still out there without clubs still…not players you’d deem crap but players with pretty decent track record.

Only question is…..how much of the budget has Swann wasted whilst fulfilling his youth squad dream ?

lesgeolesgeo
    Participant
    Registered On: December 25, 2013
    Topics: 96

Do these players ‘still have the legs’?
    That is something few of us can know for sure.

FerriteFerrite
    Participant
    Registered On: December 23, 2013

Why has this only happened now? Why not a couple of months ago?

NorthumbironNorthumbiron
    Registered On: January 3, 2014
    Topics: 63

Of the top of my head, the ten we signed in the transfer window: –

Cordner
    Onariase
    Spence
    Hippolyte
    Vincent
    Taylor
    Loft
    Jarvis
    Mooney
    Turan

So that’s roughly 2x CB. 4x MF. 4x ST. More importantly 0x GK & 0x FB.

Did we need four more midfielders and four more strikers? Surely a broader range of acquisitions would have been more logical?

Only a couple of those signed were over 23 so in effect all we have is a big U23 squad, with little depth of experience.

Can we send back the loans? Let’s face it Cordner’s bottle looks to have gone, Vincent has been fairly ineffective and Taylor is being played too deep.

Did we need Hippolyte when we had Green and Dales here already? Did we need Loft, Jarvis and Turan?

So yes, Brown is a welcome addition, but it’s still just papering over the cracks of a particularly odd transfer window.

WonderGoalsWonderGoals
    Participant

To be fair to Jarvis and Turan, they both look to have something. Loft despite his good start looks a donkey.

Hippolyte was a pointless signing because Dales is much better and he’s already here. I don’t get that signing at all.

Taylor’s signing was stupid, we already have Hallam, McAtee and Van Veen who play in that withdrawn striker role, albeit with Kev out injured.

You go down the list, most of the signings are pointless. Cordner’s heads gone but with a more experienced head next to him might come good and Vincent isn’t a bad player but needs an experienced head alongside him as well.

Les, in regards to players still “having the legs to do a job”….I suppose we get them in and have a look at them closely.

Anthony Wordsworth for example has played 47 games in the last 2 seasons and is only 31 years of age. Calum Woods the RB I saw who was available played 13 games last season at lg 1 level, setting up 2 goals and is 33yrs of age we’re not talking about spent forces here.

I’d get them both in personally with Jak Alnwick as the GK we need. All available and we could do with all 3.

FerriteFerrite
    Participant
    Registered On: December 23, 2013

It used to be the case that you could only sign one out-of-contract player outside of a transfer window, is that still the case?

I still can’t believe we have a squad of roughly 30 players and are still looking for new signings, it’s a terrible indictement of what happened this summer.

lesgeolesgeo
    Participant
    Registered On: December 25, 2013

The standards of criticism on Bru at the moment are so often excellen.t
    Consider the four posts above this one – all are logical and well-argued.
    There seem to be fewer on here just ranting than has been the case in the past.
    We get better – the team gets worse.

cassidystashcassidystash
    Participant

Do these players ‘still have the legs’?
    That is something few of us can know for sure.

Quite right les, can we risk another James Perch? (or Ian Ormondroyd for those with a longer memory)

WonderGoalsWonderGoals
    Participant

Cassidy, in this case we have no choice…we’ve been forced into this position by Swannster. I only put forward those players as examples. I can’t be 100% they still have the energy to compete but we’re talking about a 31 and 33yr old who’ve both have been playing competitive games.

It’s either we dip into the free transfer market or we’re most certainly relegated. As I said above, we’ve been forced into this position.

Ferrite, not sure about how it works with it recently being altered but all I know is, is that we can sign players right now…which is all I care about.

Only problem is we have an already inflated squad which is drastically unbalanced which includes a raft of kids with little to no experience.

This is why chairman are supposed to be in the background and allow the football people to deal with the actual football.

This is what you get when you have a chairman who fancies playing real life football manager with a real life football club.

NorthumbironNorthumbiron
    Registered On: January 3, 2014
    Topics: 63

can we risk another James Perch? (or Ian Ormondroyd for those with a longer memory)

But we could do with a Steve Baines for those with a longer, longer memory!

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.