It’s Wharton’s fault…

Iron Bru Forums Blast Furnace It’s Wharton’s fault…

• Author
    BobbyGmeisterBobbyGmeister
    Participant
    Registered On: January 12, 2014
    Topics: 47

He sold the club to Swann…

AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant
    Registered On: June 20, 2017
    Topics: 160

Totally agree if he had only done due diligence on Swann, but then again he got the money back he had invested, better than his other choice of liquidating the club and ending up with nothing,

BottesfordIrons5North Lincolnshire Irons
    Participant
    Registered On: September 30, 2017
    Topics: 58

It’s not Steve Whartons fault at all. How many fans believed what SWANN had to say when he first took over our Club. Although we definitely didn’t, it was pie in the sky and several fans have talked us down and argued he was the best thing since sliced bread. SWANN with his big talk and Rodwell by his side talked the talk but they definitely can’t walk the walk. You are doing what exactly SWANN AND HIS FAMILY WANT, ushering the blame away from them, by you blaming someone else. We’ve just listened to the podcast, have you yet? They are coming out on there now and saying SWANN AND HIS FAMILY with their decisions are the cause of the situation we are now in. DROPPING OUT OF THE FOOTBALL LEAGUE!

3 users thanked author for this post.
    SideriteSiderite
    Participant
    Registered On: December 12, 2014
    Topics: 78

Wharton may take some blame for lack of due diligence, but Swann isn’t a force of nature. He has agency and the buck rests with him. :-)

Iron-aweIron-awe
    Participant
    Registered On: June 21, 2017
    Topics: 11

Mr Wharton was far too successful for a man with limited resources who only ran the club as a hobby. How could a man with probably three times his wealth, with an astute business plan behind him and the acumen to run the club more professionally ever hope to equal or even beat the success of Mr Wharton.

Participant

What were SWANN’S favourite pompous sayings? This is MY CLUB, MY MONEY IN THE CLUB. This is where SWANN AND HIS FAMILY have taken HIS club. Is this why he has gone into hiding?

2 users thanked author for this post.
    IronaweIronawe
    Participant
    Registered On: December 31, 2013
    Topics: 41

The problems manifested themselves later on – absolutely suicidal decisions to appoint son as chief scout, turning off all funding almost overnight (maybe his wife stopped his money I don’t
    know) 11 managers in 9 years, u-23’s built up then disbanded (actually become the first team) awful recruitment without any football knowledge, a loan leading to crippling embargo which results in the loss of our league status – but it is the constant untruths spouted in the press that sum up his tenure – he has zero credibility now and knows it – hence his absence from SUFC

emmjayPeter Promise
    Participant
    Registered On: June 15, 2017
    Topics: 7

Steve Wharton had been looking for a “suitable” buyer for 3 years before Swann.Unfortunately his health situation meant that he eventually had to take who was available.

6 users thanked author for this post.
    PaulSanfran49
    Participant
    Registered On: December 23, 2013
    Topics: 70

In the past I have criticised Mr Wharton. But he has no responsibility for what we are witnessing now.

This is solely the responsibilty of Mr Peter Swann.

AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant

Swanny put money in Wharton’s pockets, don’t know about the club though, seems like any other chairman spends money but will want it back when he leaves one way or another, nothing new!

NorthumbironNorthumbiron
    Registered On: January 3, 2014
    Topics: 66

I blame Mr R A C Symes, for setting up the club in 1899.

We could all have been supporting various other clubs instead!

alcazaralcazar
    Participant
    Registered On: December 24, 2013
    Topics: 50

And probably will be in a couple of years.

We should hold a poll:
    Who will you support once the Iron cease to exist?
    Grimsby Town
    Lincoln City
    Doncaster Rovers
    Hull City
    Barton
    Brigg Town
    Winterton Rangers
    Bottesford Town
    Someone else.
    No team, I’ve had it with football supporting.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Iron-aweIron-awe
    Participant

Currently watching England v Spain ladies International. 0-0 at the moment, watching players who can actually control and pass a ball correctly and do it very well makes a refreshing change from the crap served up at GP. As for the future I shall continue watching my grandsons play through their junior football years and if I’m still around when they are grown up and hopefully playing still at local men’s level I shall continue to watch them. Who knows they may even end up at Bottesford or Brigg Town

Participant

Yes Awaywego most chairmen will want their investment back when they leave but not many take the club’s stadium and assets and transfer them to their own company as well. He has gambled with club’s money by his extortionate spending and then taking all our club’s assets to fund it too. Don’t tell me this is fair and reasonable. Is it verging on being illegal? Its definitely perverse in my opinion.

Iron-aweIron-awe
    Participant

Not sure what Awaywego is trying to find with his tongue but it ain’t gonna be brown sugar that’s for sure. 😋

AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant

Not villa,sheff wed,Derby, Reading, and Birmingham of late then NLI at the end of the day they have still lost their stadium, Birmingham have a ten year lease in place paying £1.25 million per year, what amount of rent is Swanny charging?

Deereyme66Deereyme66
    Registered On: May 8, 2017
    Topics: 101

Nothing. YET!

Iron-aweIron-awe
    Participant

Nothing. YET!

So he says.

Deereyme66Deereyme66
    Registered On: May 8, 2017
    Topics: 101

Then he’d be paying rent to himself, in effect? That would show up on the accounts presumably?

Iron-aweIron-awe
    Participant

Presumably, your on the right track I think. I believed he was building a brand new ground once. 😂😂😂

PStoffPStoff
    Participant
    Registered On: December 30, 2013
    Topics: 0

Wharton didn’t sell the club to Swann.

When he left the club it was Dennis Hobson who was lined up to replace him.

The other directors blocked this and went for Swann.

lesgeolesgeo
    Participant
    Registered On: December 25, 2013
    Topics: 96

Frying pans and fires come to mind.

Everytime refereePat O’Cake
    Participant
    Registered On: December 27, 2013
    Topics: 17

And probably will be in a couple of years.

We should hold a poll:
    Who will you support once the Iron cease to exist?
    Grimsby Town
    Lincoln City
    Doncaster Rovers
    Hull City
    Barton
    Brigg Town
    Winterton Rangers
    Bottesford Town
    Someone else.
    No team, I’ve had it with football supporting.

None of the above I will support the club that will be formed from the ashes that Swann leaves behind.

alcazaralcazar
    Participant
    Topics: 50

The ashes of a Swann?
    Swansong Town?

PaulSanfran49
    Participant

Mr Wharton was far too successful for a man with limited resources who only ran the club as a hobby. How could a man with probably three times his wealth, with an astute business plan behind him and the acumen to run the club more professionally ever hope to equal or even beat the success of Mr Wharton.

I don’t think so regarding personal wealth. You forget where the family fortune was based, it was not sold cheaply.

And I believe the Swann resources are from the wife’s side.

apbeapb
    Participant
    Topics: 0

The other directors didn’t ‘block’ anything. They weren’t able to because SW was comfortably the majority shareholder at that time.

Wharton was desperate for health and other reasons to get out. There was nothing sinister about it – lest we forget at the time he was over 70 and from memory had already had at least one heart attack by that point.

It looked as if the only interested punter was Hobson, the scrap metal dealer and part time boxing promoter from Sheffield.

There was talk of an American sports investment company also putting money in – which when you looked at their MO in the US was quite scary.

At the last minute. PS pulled out of negotiations to buy Lincoln City (who at that time were in the Conference) and turned his attention to us.

As far as I’m aware, no significant number of shares actually changed hands. SW is still a shareholder and still attends AGM’s etc.

SW was keen that any money coming in went to the club as fresh income – hence there were a series of share issues when the extra shares were taken up by Swann, rather than a simple share sale.

So, as far as I’m aware, SW didn’t make a fortune from the sale – he simply wanted out and Swann at the time looked the lesser of two evils and better funded than Hobson.

At the time it looked the correct decision – and in some respects given the rather unappealing alternative, the only decision.

PaulSanfran49
    Participant

To apb. There are no shareholders meetings anymore. There are no votes, no anything they are called Fans Forums where no matter what is said from the floor they are ignored.

I believe Mr Swann did say he has 91.5% of the shares. As to volume of Mr Whartons shares they got watered down by the way Mr Swann introduced capital to fund whatever he deemed needed funding.

AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant

So Wharton could have carried on then, he just chose not to.

Iron-aweIron-awe
    Participant

What part of in his seventies and not well do you not get?

5 users thanked author for this post.
    AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant

The bit that he’s still an active company secretary and director to this day whether he’s not well or in his seventies. Fair play to him he got his money back. Certainly our best chairman for achievements on the pitch up to date.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.