Ilkeston

Iron Bru Forums Blast Furnace Ilkeston

• Author
    AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant
    Registered On: June 20, 2017
    Topics: 160

Wonder if Pat will still want to meet up and show us round. Going on the train Barnetby to Nottingham ticket for any body else you must go via Sheffield and no Grantham that train doesn’t stop at ilkeston, Real ale pub 2 mins from station The Dew drop inn doesn’t open till 12 o’clock sure fans will be banging on the door train gets in at 11,45

Deereyme66Deereyme66
    Registered On: May 8, 2017
    Topics: 101

Too busy getting ready for Summer hols next week awaywego. Hope you enjoy it and claim that promised burger and pint from Pat!

1 user thanked author for this post.
    cliffbyrnesrightpegCliff Byrne’s Right Peg
    Participant
    Registered On: October 17, 2015
    Topics: 57

Is there a clubhouse at the ground, Awayswego?

mkironMK Iron
    Participant
    Registered On: December 23, 2013
    Topics: 46

I believe Patrick did say there is a large clubhouse which welcomes away fans.

Perhaps Patrick or another friendly Ilkeston fan could confirm?

Couple of other queries regarding the ground. What’s the situation regarding parking. Best places and cost.

Most importantly given the weather forecast what are the chances of Iron fans being able to watch the game under some cover?

CMCCMC
    Participant
    Registered On: July 14, 2022
    Topics: 32

There is, big one.
    Dew Drop is a decent traditional pub, if there’s a few of you stop there as there’s nothing in the rest of the town and get a taxi.
    For you old farts good bus service from Derby/Nottingham.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant

Nice 15 min riverside walk to the ground bugger the taxi, enjoy your hols Deerey hope it’s somewhere warm for you,are you having a break from social media has well and come back refreshed,should hope there’s a clubhouse at the ground Hiltons supposed to have worked is magic there, expecting it and the facilities to be the dogs bollocks.

Deereyme66Deereyme66
    Registered On: May 8, 2017
    Topics: 101

‘For you old farts good bus service from Derby/Nottingham.’

I’m not going!

Patrick0811Patrick0811
    Participant
    Registered On: March 30, 2023
    Topics: 0

Hi MK Iron,
    Yes we do have a clubhouse you are welcome into, and three sides of the ground have cover, the other being the clubhouse side with a terrace outside.
    We have parking, but will probably be busy Saturday, however there is street parking nearby.
    I am very happy to show anyone around, but please respect the fact it will be a very busy day, and I did invite anyone on non match days in order to give you my time, however I am a man of my word and if you come early enough I will give you MK Iron an up to 3 others a guided tour(before 1pm) otherwise after the game and feeding the players (about 6.15pm)…you will see then that I (personally) am not running a tin pot, micky mouse, happy shopper, 50 pence outfit as suggested by someone on this site, but a very well organised catering facility, offering exceptional food at a very affordable price, especially compared to some clubs that will have your trousers down for a pot of peas!
    We at Ilkeston welcome Scunthorpe with open arms, and hope you have a nice day.
    The town is not far away, plenty of friendly pubs, about a 20 min walk to the ground or about £4 – £5 in a taxi.
    Finally I don’t want any toxic replies from the usual suspects (I just simply won’t reply… so don’t bother wasting your time)…. look forward to seeing you.
    Patrick

AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant

Thanks Pat me and the grandson will take up your offer we will give the Dew drop inn a miss we shall come straight from the train which arrives at 11.45 let us know where you’ll be cheers.

SideriteSiderite
    Participant
    Registered On: December 12, 2014
    Topics: 78

Usual suspects? Is Pat Bucks in disguise?

mkironMK Iron
    Participant
    Topics: 46

Thank you Patrick for your kind offer particularly after the abuse you received from 2 or 3 of the arseholes that inevitably turn up on every open forum.

The majority of Iron fans are very decent people but our sense of humour has been stretched to the limit by Peter Swann’s antics over the last 5 or 6 years.

I am coming over Saturday and should be able to rearrange some family stuff I had planned for the morning to get there before you get too busy. Be good to meet Awaywego as well having occasionally shared a bit of banter with on here.

Patrick0811Patrick0811
    Participant

MK IRON/ AWAYWEGO
    Look forward to meeting you both (and Friends you have with you (
    I shall be at the club very early Saturday and all day.).
    Will be a pleasure to show you round and tell you the history of the club in recent years… just ask anyone for Patrick, they will point you in the right direction.have a nice evening.

cliffbyrnesrightpegCliff Byrne’s Right Peg
    Participant
    Registered On: October 17, 2015
    Topics: 57

I’ll Probably be there too late for a tour but will be in the clubhouse for a pint beforehand.

Would expect a healthy following of iron fans for the game, lots like me curious to see the facilities and what Hilton left behind.

Patrick0811Patrick0811
    Participant

Cliif byrne’s right peg.
    Very happy to meet you in the clubhouse prior to the game, obviously I can not attend to lots of people Saturday with it being a big game, otherwise you would have been very welcome to join us.
    I do realise most (probably 99% or more) Scunthorpe fans sre genuine guys, I attended a few home and away games just after Dave took over, and every fan I met was 100% devoted to the club and a pleasure to interact with, I was also at the Notts County game (in the board room with the County officials) and they(the county officials) were overwhelmed at the support from the Scunny fans even though they were being completely outplayed, your genuine fans really are something special, most fans would have turned on the players that day… but not the Scunny fans, they actually sang louder!!…. something very much recognised when I went out that evening with every County fan I met in the town… that doesn’t happen too often!

5 users thanked author for this post.
    billpuntonsghostbillpuntonsghost
    Participant
    Registered On: January 4, 2014
    Topics: 72

The problem is Patrick,99% or more Scunthorpe fans are genuine guys,as you say.
    Unfortunately the less than 1% are a substantial number on this site.
    The majority of fans I speak to,and I ask,do you go on Iron Bru,they look at me with a blank stare,thankfully.

sufc.not.on.toursufc_not_on_tour
    Participant
    Topics: 28

The problem is Patrick,99% or more Scunthorpe fans are genuine guys,as you say.
    Unfortunately the less than 1% are a substantial number on this site.
    The majority of fans I speak to,and I ask,do you go on Iron Bru,they look at me with a blank stare,thankfully.

Two things.
    Firstly, you are stating that a substantial number on this site are not “genuine guys” which would explain Two, the majority of fans you speak to look at you with a blank stare.
    You speak for yourself, you certainly do not speak for the majority of members of this site you foolish man.

SideriteSiderite
    Participant

We would be more likely to have unity if people like bpg didn’t slag off anyone who dares to think differently.

Some of us are concerned about what might happen to our club because of the ground issue. If that makes me an ingenuine guy and not a proper fan (because I am not just cheering on the owner and believing whatever he says, no matter how fishy), then so be it. I am not going to delude myself to please others.

Patrick0811Patrick0811
    Participant

Hi Bill
    Yes I agree with you 100%, and also think many good people on here are starting to wake up to it as well, especially as some now appear to be getting a bit pissed off at the same negativity being posted hour after hour and day after day, I myself decided to keep off for while now, but wanted to reply to genuine questions about your visit to ilkeston tomorrow, and its my choice to do that, I could not give a toss about the doom mongers reaction to anything, ( I simply don’t interact with them in any form whatsoever), I will always reply to some one personally if I am replying to any information I can help with.
    Hope you enjoy your day tomorrow. We here at Ilkeston are very much looking forward to the game, and I am laying a buffet on for Dave hilton, Lee Turnbull (nice guy met him a few times) and any friends they bring to one of our hospitality suites, and see no reason why everyone (inc officials and home/away fans) can not all have a drink in the clubhouse after the game….. win, lose, or draw, it is after all a friendly isn’t it?

SideriteSiderite
    Participant

We have a court case pending where we could lose our rights to play at our ground, no groundshare is definitive, and the National League may not allow us to start the season if we cannot prove we can fulfil our home fixtures. This is an existential threat to the club, no matter who is to blame. I would say that anyone who thinks otherwise are living with their heads in the clouds, but the people who see fit to attack others for thinking differently would start getting outraged for calling them into questiom.

I am simply bamboozled at how people are acting as if this is thriving off misery. In what world are we a stable club, right now? We have no idea what’s going to happen. What isn’t helping are derisive comments about anxious fans, especially not from Patrick, Paul Skillington and the Ilkeston fans who do not have remotely the same emotional investment in our club. There’s little we can do, but if things go really belly up, we may need a phoenix club, and that’s not going to happen amicably if we’re at loggerheads.

I have no issue in you discussing tomorrow’s game, but your jabs at actual fans of our club who think differently just create division and you are not helping.

Patrick0811Patrick0811
    Participant

Hi Siderite,
    I am very happy to reply to your post.
    I think most, if all, of what you say is probably true, and do not disagree with the points you make, the situation at Scunthorpe is not good at the moment, and I think everyone concerned understands that, so myself and others you mentioned, even though not fans at Scunthorpe hope all turns out well eventually, I think it is the personal attacks on people that is not acceptable if they don’t share the views of the doom mongers… a bit like the reverse of what you are saying…. but I have noticed when reading the face book Scunthorpe site, that there is very little of that animosity towards your IrnBru site, if any, you on the other have labeled them “happy clappers” which really means something else doesn’t it?
    Posters on Irn Bru a while back actually posted a new thread for the sole intention of insulting Dave Hilton and Jimmy Dean…the personal insults were not nice and flowed endlessly for days….how can that be acceptable?…its not is it?
    And this was all before all these recent troubles and if we are all honest it has continued from then to today, and every day in between, you are all fans of the same club so this should not be happening… 98% of Scunthorpes problems occurred before Dave Hilton and Jimmy Dean came on the scene, and over several years, they have been there 10 minutes and copping 100% of the blame from some quarters….
    I sincerely hope the ground issue is resolved for you and you climb back into the league, finally, people can interact verbally on here with trading insults… as we two have just done with your post and my reply.

Patrick0811Patrick0811
    Participant

Correction…can interact verbally WITHOUT insults…sorry for the poor grammer

SideriteSiderite
    Participant

Thanks for the earnest reply. That cleared up a lot of it. I am sorry if my last reply was curt towards you, but I have felt that many fans have been chastised for worrying and being sceptical of Hilton.

As for animosity towards Iron Bru on Facebook, you must have missed last week when Hilton launched baseless accusations against the runners of the site and ended up appearing to insult fans on here by calling them ‘vermin’. He later clarified by saying he meant Swann, but it was really clumisly worded so it was easy to misinterpret this. Thankfully he and the site owners have cooled the animosity this week, but plenty of fans on there seem to have taken it as a means to abuse others. There is one fan on there who has been threatened for being sceptical of Hilton. It’s this what bothers me when negativity is deemed toxic by those engaging or turning a blind eye to this.

I don’t remember the thread where Dean and Hilton got personally abused (not saying it didn’t happen), but I wouldn’t agree with such.

I am sure you do hope such, but I am sceptical about Hilton’s good work on such so far. I am aware of Swann’s own role and am not defending such. We would be nowhere near where we are now if it wasn’t for him. Anyway, I hope you enjoy the game tomorrow and hope Ilkeston have a good season.

AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant

“Phoenix club”In reality isn’t that what we’ve got at the moment, the only difference I can see is Hilton can keep the name Sufc.

Patrick0811Patrick0811
    Participant

Hi Siderite,
    Thanks for your reply, I am secretly hoping Scunthorpe win tomorrow to lift your spirits… just hope the Ilkeston fans don’t read this… or my son, the chairman who one day will be choosing my nursing home!
    Best wishes to you and your club.
    Patrick

NorthumbironNorthumbiron
    Registered On: January 3, 2014
    Topics: 66

BPG thinks everyone else on Bru is a Marxist Atheist!

Beats me why he bothers with it!

Anonymous
    Inactive
    Registered On:
    Topics: 67

Tomorrow will be another difficult game.
    They will be proper revved up for it.
    They’ve won 3 of their 4 preseason games so far.
    Ilkeston 2-0 SUFC
    Sorry guys. I wish I was confident in an SUFC win but I can’t see it.
    Hopefully I’m proven wrong!

Patrick0811Patrick0811
    Participant

Hi A A
    Don’t let those pre season results fool you, we played lower league teams and did not play well, somehow scraped 2 -1 wins, but in fairness to Ilkeston we were trying out trialists….and by all accounts your 2 pre season games have been played on potato fields… tomorrow you will play on the best artificial pitch in the UK only equalled by the Liverpool training ground and the England training ground at St Georges Park…. no other club has that high spec, so you could well excel …who knows? , most importantly there will be a great atmosphere as it has been the talk of The town here all week!!!

Iron-aweIron-awe
    Participant
    Registered On: June 21, 2017
    Topics: 11

Funny our town hasn’t been talking about it at all, only a few on this board which is only a fraction of the Irons support.

Patrick0811Patrick0811
    Participant

Iron-awe,
    I clearly stated it has been the talk of the town HERE in Ilkeston all week,
    Maybe, just maybe, it has been talked about in Scunthorpe all week but not in your earshot?
    In your own words “your board is only a fraction of Irons support”… so how can you know how the large Scunny supporters who are not a fraction of your board not talking about it all week?.. you have confused me with your comment, and possibly most other people who have read your post?…. this aside, we are buzzing at hosting Scunthorpe tomorrow, it’s not on your doorstep like Brigg and Winterton, so let’s see the attendance tomorrow shall we?…. I think the Scunny fans will make the journey.. you don’t, either way the Ilkeston fans will turn up as usual and shout our team on.
    My predicted attendance is 1800+, about the same home and away, if I am wrong I won’t lose any sleep….

Iron-aweIron-awe
    Participant
    Registered On: June 21, 2017
    Topics: 11

Oh lots of Scunny fans will show up but only a couple on here will mention they went, fact Patrick, not having a go just keeping you in the real world loop. Enjoy your day out

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.