Home Forums Non Football Hungary

BloodyRubbishIron
    Participant
    Topics: 31
    Replies: 1815

It seems that Orban is using the coronavirus crisis as its Reichstag fire moment. In one swift movement all semblances of democracy are gone. Democratically elected mayors are being replaced by party stooges, the government has granted itself unlimited emergency powers, there is a 5 year prison sentence for ‘fake news’ (what this means is anyone’s guess; given Hungary’s hounding of critical voices in the media and education it doesn’t sound promising), suspension of parliament with no elections and the passing of a national curriculum which enforces positive portrayals of Miklos Horthy, an ally of Hitler who collaborated in the Holocaust, and teachings of anti-Semitic Hungarian authors who shared the same view of Jews as Goebbels.

Conservatives have said that liberals only oppose Orban and Fidesz because they have an undue fear of true conservatism. If destroying democracy and promotion of Holocaust collaborators and anti-Semites is true conservatism I am proud to have an undue fear of it.

THE-99%
    Topics: 887
    Replies: 4218

have they been thrown out of the EU yet?

billpuntonsghost
    Participant
    Topics: 509
    Replies: 4039

We’re usually a couple of weeks behind others.

BloodyRubbishIron
    Participant
    Topics: 31
    Replies: 1815

Hungary have been bad for a while and we’re lagging way behind them on the undemocratic front. I don’t have immediate fears of us going down the route of Hungary. I can’t see the government indroducing such stringent affronts to democracy just yet, nor enforced education praising Oswald Moseley.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.