Head Or Heart

Iron Bru Forums Blast Furnace Head Or Heart

• Author
    AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant
    Registered On: June 20, 2017
    Topics: 160

According to the accounts the loan was for 2 million pounds, don’t know whether Swanny paid it up when he first came here, Does anyone else know?

BottesfordIrons5North Lincolnshire Irons
    Participant
    Registered On: September 30, 2017
    Topics: 58

Maybe you weren’t around to enjoy the success we had on the football pitch with Steve Wharton as Chairman, Awaywego. Otherwise you wouldn’t be knocking him. His family were Scunthorpe United through and through. I thank him for signing Joe Murphy, Andy Crosby and Ian Baraclough, the backbone of our team which set us on the way to trips to Wembley and several promotions. Let’s not forget Billy Sharpe, Andy Keogh, Gary Hooper, Martin Patterson and many other signings. What great times! Never to be forgotten!

AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant

Being around since the early seventies, Wharton did the bizz I know I was there. Not knocking him just letting it be known financially for the club he was just as bad as Swann. It’s all there to see in the accounts. I hope the new owners will be just as reckless as well I don’t want bargain bucket player’s anymore, not going to be my money they spend and probably not theirs for that matter, it’ll just be club debt at the end.

Iron-aweIron-awe
    Participant
    Registered On: June 21, 2017
    Topics: 11

He was much worse Awaywego and you know it, Wharton never got us relegated out the football league which will end up costing us a ton of money on top of what it has already. No comparison and you won’t sell your version of events to anybody on this forum that Wharton was as bad.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant

Only if you bring football into the equation.

WonderGoalsWonderGoals
    Participant
    Registered On: December 27, 2013
    Topics: 90

“Not knocking him just letting it be known financially for the club he was just as bad as Swann”

Awaywego, have you been on the crack pipe again ?

Look at the club accounts. Swann came we were 2million in debt, now look how much we are in debt. How the hell can Wharton be even uttered in the same breath as Swann ?

You’re an absolute maniac !

Wharton was ultra safe with the clubs money and the money did dry up towards the end of his tenure but he was nowhere near as bad for the club as Swann has been, it’s not even close.

BottesfordIrons5North Lincolnshire Irons
    Participant
    Registered On: September 30, 2017
    Topics: 58

Steve Wharton didn’t run the debts up that Swann has and he would never ever have signed the stadium and land over to his own company, Wharton Shipping, as Swann did to Coolsilk. Yes the club was ran with a debt of possibly 2, 3 or 4 million but no football clubs on a par with us are self sustainable and Swann should have known that if he was any kind of a businessman. The government and the football league should bring in legislation to stop this ever being allowed to happen again.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    WonderGoalsWonderGoals
    Participant
    Topics: 90

There without doubt should be a panel set up overseeing this type of carry in the lower leagues. Swann should have had his knuckles wrapped on the very first season we/he decided to spend more than what we were earning.

One point he spent around 120% more than what we were earning. A panel overlooking such matters should have nipped that in the bud very early on because that’s absolutely ridiculous.

More certainly needs to be done.

Deereyme66Deereyme66
    Registered On: May 8, 2017
    Topics: 101

Absolutely ridiculous to compare Wharton to Swann, and pettiness to get a rise out of other posters. Boring now.

AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant

Financially Deerey financially. Don’t try and shut me down Deerey show me where I’m wrong I have pointed the articles out to you now you point yours.

FerriteFerrite
    Participant
    Registered On: December 23, 2013

One point he spent around 120% more than what we were earning. A panel overlooking such matters should have nipped that in the bud very early on because that’s absolutely ridiculous.

Wages were 140% of turnover for at least one season, I believe.

cliffbyrnesrightpegCliff Byrne’s Right Peg
    Participant
    Registered On: October 17, 2015
    Topics: 57

There without doubt should be a panel set up overseeing this type of carry in the lower leagues. Swann should have had his knuckles wrapped on the very first season we/he decided to spend more than what we were earning.

More certainly needs to be done.

They were almost 150% and at its worth pointing out nobody on this forum- nor on social media- was particularly concerned; we were content with watching entertaining football and trying to compete with Sheffield United and Bolton.

Wasn’t it Phil Parkinson who said Bradford- a club with 15k attendances- couldn’t compete with Bury and Scunthorpe in wages at the time.

Madness

IronageIron Age
    Participant
    Registered On: April 10, 2019
    Topics: 55

The biggest difference between Swann and Wharton?

EGO.

Deereyme66Deereyme66
    Registered On: May 8, 2017

Financially Deerey financially. Don’t try and shut me down Deerey show me where I’m wrong I have pointed the articles out to you now you point yours.

Lol, shutting you down? Absolute nonsense. Continue with your BS as long as you want mate, I’ll continue to say what I think about it. I don’t need to refer to any articles or pick out micro examples without seeing the whole picture, and I’m not wasting my time trying to reason with the unreasonable. Nothing like this can be reviewed in isolation – you need the full picture and context. Cheers!

3 users thanked author for this post.
    AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant

It is nice though to have examples though rather than your platitudes Deerey,any reasonable person would accept examples. Don’t forget I was questioned on where the info came and was happy to oblige Especially when one said I’d got it off back of a penguin bar wrapper.

Everytime refereePat O’Cake
    Participant
    Topics: 17

They were almost 150% and at its worth pointing out nobody on this forum- nor on social media- was particularly concerned

I think you will find there were at least 2 or 3 of us on here VERY concerned but we were laughed at and mocked at the time.

Iron-aweIron-awe
    Participant
    Registered On: June 21, 2017
    Topics: 11

It is nice though to have examples though rather than your platitudes Deerey,any reasonable person would accept examples. Don’t forget I was questioned on where the info came and was happy to oblige Especially when one said I’d got it off back of a penguin bar wrapper.

I never asked the question it was someone else, I just gave an opinion to where you might have got it. In fairness I did change it to the back of a fag packet, more to suit your image then anything else. Twenty Woodbine perhaps whilst tending to your whippet and pigeons. 🤔😂

Huckleberry HoundHuckleberry Hound
    Participant
    Registered On: June 3, 2022
    Topics: 0

I agree with many of the points raised. I’d love to get back to a situation where we were run by local people with the best interests of the club and community at heart. I can’t agree with the comments about Lee Turnbull. His scouting has brought us many class players and while we have seen few recently I suspect his hands have been tied.

NorthumbironNorthumbiron
    Registered On: January 3, 2014
    Topics: 66

Has anyone who thinks things were bad before checked to see where we actually are in the football pyramid right now?

None of the club’s previous owners ever allowed us to fail as miserably as we have under Swann.

4 users thanked author for this post.
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.