Have a look

Iron Bru Forums Blast Furnace Have a look

• Author
    f row crewf row crew
    Participant
    Registered On: June 22, 2020
    Topics: 18

At the report on the fishy from the Grimsby fan who was at our game on Saturday.

A lot of tongue in cheek of course, but not a lot to disagree with.

As a proud Iron fan of many years, I am embarrassed about everything mentioned (General run down state of ground, bust scoreboard, no programmes, state of stewarding, desire of the players, etc etc) AND SO SHOULD YOU BE EARNEST. THIS IS HOW WE ARE PERCEIVED UNDER YOUR STEWARDSHIP, LEAVING US IN A BETTER PLACE THAN WHEN YOU ARRIVED….WHATEVER

6 users thanked author for this post.
    TintownerBob
    Participant
    Registered On: August 21, 2018
    Topics: 1

My excuses for going are A: we didn’t have a game B: my mate is a big Scunny supporter C: I wanted to glorify in their current plight.

I met my buddy at the Sands Venue stadium and was duly charged £5 to enter the car park. We proceeded to walk to the front of the ground which was waterlogged in many places (probably needed the drainage sorting out …. but that would cost money)
    We went to the ticket office and there was a bloke in there who hadn’t been for a while (there are plenty like that at Scunny) and was buying a 2022 calendar. ‘most of the players in it aren’t here anymore’ said the woman behind the counter. The bloke said he wouldn’t know many of them anyway. ‘maybe these two gents would know some of them’ she replied … pointing to me and my mate. ‘I haven’t got a clue’ I said. I so wanted to ask if John McAtee played for them, I really did….. but I was in a hornet’s nest.
    Anyway, we walked into the ground ………… and what a depressing sight greeted me. We think Blundell Park is bad, but by jaysus, this place looks tired and neglected ……. it really does. A lick of paint would most definitely make a difference (but that costs money). The scoreboard doesn’t work and hasn’t done all season (it would cost money to replace … 14 grand apparently). No programmes available (they cost money to print so its digital versions only).
    The pitch look in a half decent shape but the stretch where the linos run was waterlogged. The referee was Bobby Madley and he was a little concerned and mentioned it to a groundsman with a pitch fork who did absolutely nothing about it.
    FIRST HALF: Rochdale came out wearing Black & White striped shirts, black shorts and socks….. I really couldnt believe it. Match kicked off and within two minutes the lino on the other side of the pitch slipped and went down on his ar$e but was okay after a few minutes.
    I wasn’t very impressed with Rochdale, in fact I was totally disappointed with them. They were so bad in the first half that they made Scunthorpe look good and it was no surprise when the home side took the lead (I remained on my seat when they did btw). Some of the home support were thinking that their team were playing well …. they weren’t, it was because Rochdale were offering absolutely nothing.
    SECOND HALF: I didn’t realise that former Town player Robbie Stockdale was the manager of Rochdale. Whatever he had said at half time certainly worked as they were totally the opposite of the team that had struggled so badly in the first half. Scunthorpe couldn’t handle this rejuvenated ‘Dale’ and had no answers whatsoever.
    When the equaliser came, I actually kind of cheered but then (realising where I was) disguised it by berating the home defence for not putting a challenge in. There was only going to be one winner after this and it was never in a million years going to be the iron. When the winning goal came I managed to nullify myself for safety reasons (I really wanted to let myself go and strip off to my Town shirt). Rochdale fans spewed onto the pitch, danced about and then casually went back into their end …. the stewards were poor at crowd control in my opinion.
    Scunthorpe were very poor in the second half, they seemed to accept the inevitable when Rochdale got the equaliser and it was as though they expected to lose the game.
    They are going down without a doubt. Most of their players wont be there next season and most of them probably don’t want to be. Keith Hill can talk about committing himself for next season, but I am not convinced that he will be or if the fans want him to be.
    What will Mr Swann do when it happens. The Sands Venue Stadium (which he owns) needs money spending on it. He states that the club can only spend what it generates ……. my mate is looking at the National League as a short stay … and he is not talking about getting promoted.

MY VERDICT: They are in for another season of struggle and we will fill their away end next season.

7 users thanked author for this post.
    TintownerBob
    Participant
    Registered On: August 21, 2018
    Topics: 1

The above has been reproduced from the Grimsby forum btw.

IronaweIronawe
    Participant
    Registered On: December 31, 2013
    Topics: 41

A bit of schadenfreude but you cannot argue with it. The state of the ground is a perfect reflection of its owner.

4 users thanked author for this post.
    Iron-aweIron-awe
    Participant
    Registered On: June 21, 2017
    Topics: 11

Well said codhead but your still a t***. Tongue in cheek of course. 🐟

cliffbyrnesrightpegCliff Byrne’s Right Peg
    Participant
    Registered On: October 17, 2015
    Topics: 57

Hard to argue with any of it.

Id argue the ground’s current state is not just the fault of the Swann’s though, but a collective neglect from past regimes.

Should’ve been modernised 15 years ago.

AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant
    Registered On: June 20, 2017
    Topics: 160

No it was Pearson panicking over the Bradford fire, he then went on to build that shed with no infrastructure there, posters talk about Swann promises but he was as bad, where was the new train station at the ground the bus services pubs, the match day experience got half decent when the lads adopted the iron bar if you weren’t in for 11.30 you struggled to get a seat, but that started to die after the Rochdale bans,people getting older, getting married having kids, and nobody replaced them. At least Swann did try to build a new ground but was let down by various party’s and circumstances.

Iron-aweIron-awe
    Participant

Well he said he tried, that’s different to actually trying.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Iron-aweIron-awe
    Participant

Buck’s latest post didn’t last long, the Kremlin were soon onto it.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    emmjayPeter Promise
    Participant
    Registered On: June 15, 2017
    Topics: 7

No Awaywego Swann was let down by his failure to plan and his own incompetence as per usual.

TwoWrightsTwoWrights
    Participant
    Registered On: December 23, 2013
    Topics: 4

I got to read it before the ‘broom’ was applied, Bucks has become the ex-smoker that rails against smokers. 🤬😊

Everytime refereePat O’Cake
    Participant
    Registered On: December 27, 2013
    Topics: 17

At least Swann did try to build a new ground

Ha,Ha,Ha,Ha,Ha,Ha,Ha,Ha,Ha,Ha!!!!!!!! What a load of sh1te

SideriteSiderite
    Participant
    Registered On: December 12, 2014
    Topics: 78

The NKVD and the Bolsheviks always made a greater example of the ‘traitors’ who turned against them than the never believers. :-)

Though, it would be somewhat ironic if the next legal action against a Scunny fan would be Bucks, after years telling us how right it was for Swann to threaten others. X-)

Though, I must state that I am on Bucks’s side here and he has my sympathy for this.

FerriteFerrite
    Participant
    Registered On: December 23, 2013
    Topics: 101

Hard to argue with any of it.

Id argue the ground’s current state is not just the fault of the Swann’s though, but a collective neglect from past regimes.

Should’ve been modernised 15 years ago.

It’s not so much it needs modernising, it just needs proper upkeep. Repairing or upgrading the scoreboard, a lick of fresh paint (remember the tatty flags at the first game of the season?), putting some more drains in in the car park, upgrading the catering points: all of these are things which could and should have been done in recent years, rather than signing yet another striker who never gets a game.

A new ground was never needed – a bit of TLC for GP was more important.

AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant

Oh yes it was, and still is,

cassidystashcassidystash
    Participant
    Registered On: January 4, 2014
    Topics: 104

Somebody will have to persuade the directors of Cool Silk to provide a budget for an upgrade to their ground. Any suggestions?

AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant

Alcy

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.