Halifax

Iron Bru Forums Blast Furnace Halifax

• Author
    Deereyme66Deereyme66
    Registered On: May 8, 2017
    Topics: 101

‘Deerey’s Dreamland’. Perfect for my new Bed Shop 414. Cheers.

billpuntonsghostbillpuntonsghost
    Participant
    Registered On: January 4, 2014
    Topics: 72

When they realise Clunan isn’t good enough,we should be ok.

ironfromafarironfromafar
    Participant
    Registered On: October 10, 2021
    Topics: 19

Bit of an enigma is Clunan and needs to get back to the form (Brief spell) in his early days at the club before injury .. with the likes of Brogan and Rowley now signed Clunans place should not be guaranteed or assumed.
    On that subject i think its time for a change of captain so who would your regular club captain be for the coming season ?

lesgeolesgeo
    Participant
    Registered On: December 25, 2013
    Topics: 96

I agree, WG.
    This squad may be an overall notch behind that of last season – but replacements have largely bridged the gap AND we have team fitness as a bonus. What’s more – I suspect that we have a real manager this season.
    I cannot believe that we could possibly end up below playoff level.

WonderGoalsWonderGoals
    Participant
    Registered On: December 27, 2013
    Topics: 90

Clunans place should not be guaranteed or assumed

I didn’t include Clunan as part of my possible line up because he’s nailed on as a starter in terms of his ability, I chose him due to balance, as he’s the only recognized defensive central midfielder we have.

As an example Roberts overall has more way more natural ability than Clunan but if say Rowley and Brogan start it would be too attacking and we’d probably get easily cut through down the middle of the pitch. Brogan himself is an attacking player and Rowley is more of a neat and tidy playmaker type but throw Roberts in there it could well end up being all over the place.

Shrimpton may be able to play slightly withdrawn to cover Clunan position, but as it stands Clunan purely from a balance standpoint would be in my CM midfield three.

I’m not by any means saying purely based on ability that Clunan commands a first team start.

ironfromafarironfromafar
    Participant
    Registered On: October 10, 2021
    Topics: 19

Good points WGs N Lesgeo .. since injury and a new baby Clunan hasnt been the same player… chuck in the turmoil of last season and JD managing also possible factors.

Apollo11Apollo11
    Participant
    Registered On: September 21, 2023
    Topics: 37

See also Beestin, lumbering about. Like watching a barrel of tarmac try to paint the Mona Lisa.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Apollo11Apollo11
    Participant

i think its time for a change of captain so who would your regular club captain be for the coming season ?

Evans.

cassidystashcassidystash
    Participant
    Topics: 104

I think Roberts has to be a starter somewhere in whatever formation Butler uses. His salary as well as his ability must guarantee that surely.

mkironMK Iron
    Participant
    Registered On: December 23, 2013
    Topics: 46

We all see different things. Folks around me were agreeing that Beestin looked the fittest and sharpest anyone had ever seen him on Saturday.

mkironMK Iron
    Participant
    Registered On: December 23, 2013
    Topics: 46

Oh and didn’t Clunan get sponsors man of the match?

Opinions.

Apollo11Apollo11
    Participant

We all see different things. Folks around me were agreeing that Beestin looked the fittest and sharpest anyone had ever seen him on Saturday.

I like him, too – but I haven’t seen anyone that ungainly since Jason White.

Iron414Iron414
    Participant
    Registered On: May 30, 2024
    Topics: 0

Evan’s would also be my captain. Solid professional and comes across as a great chap. Loves the club too, I remember seeing him close to tears at the end of the play off heartbreak game last season.

I think Clunan gets more stick than he deserves, though his form did dip after the first few months of last season. Maybe fatherhood and the long daily commute from Kings Lynn are taking their toll?

Beestin has underperformed / been injury stricken for the last 2 seasons and I think he has stagnated somewhat with us and would have benefitted from a move this summer. Agree he did look fitter on Saturday but with Andy ear-marking him for a strikers role and with Carlton impressing and Whitehall an ever present, I can’t see him starting many games this season.

Agree Robert’s has to start, purely for the club to get some return on the large salary investment made, but I’m not sure we will see the best of him in the number 10 role. Feels abit square pegs round holes. Think Rowley is more of a natural fit as a 10 but it would be criminal to have someone with Robert’s quality sat on the bench all season.

cassidystashcassidystash
    Participant
    Topics: 104

I still think, with the players we have, that either 4-4-2 or 4-3-3 are better fits than 5-3-2 (3-5-2)
    Opinions again.

lesgeolesgeo
    Participant
    Registered On: December 25, 2013
    Topics: 96

I’ve criticised Clunan regularly since Christmas but he was my MOTM on Saturday and the same with Mrs Lesgeo. (Braithwaite a close second.)

Iron-aweIron-awe
    Participant
    Registered On: June 21, 2017
    Topics: 11

If Beestin isn’t a guaranteed starter I reckon he’ll be a fantastic option off the bench and if he can maintain fitness I see him as a proper asset in an Iron shirt, oh and he can shoot a bit too ( e g some crackers scored towards the end of last season ).

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.