Home Forums The New Blast Furnace Grow some b…s Peter

ironking
    Participant
    Topics: 63
    Replies: 314

Dear Peter

There is absolutely no need to ask the EFL to suspend players wages, Furlough them like the non-playing staff and 8 million others in the UK. See how they like being paid £2500 per month which is still more than i and many fellow supporters take home.

Footballers have shot themselves in the foot over this Covid-19 situation, i hope there is a day of reckoning after this period to redress the balance of power in football towards the hardworking hard paying fans.

I for one have felt short changed for years by the lack of passion many players show for the shirt and the club.

You only have to watch a local derby game to see the lack of passion, care or understanding many players have for the clubs and communities they represent.

Yours sincerely

Ironking

mistertonmick
    Participant
    Topics: 424
    Replies: 8398

couldn’t agree more, that is double what my pension gives me and regarding local derbies how often have we ever turned up consistently over the years, in fact I would imagine we have a better record against Hull than Donny, Codsby and Lincoln.

1 user thanked author for this post.

bartonscorpion
    Participant
    Topics: 144
    Replies: 3009

I cannot help but think that these are a few sprats before the big announcement that Peter and the lower league clubs have been let down badly, and that he cannot see a future for the club.

I really hope that I am wrong, but I agree with what he is saying, the only place were the sort of money can come from is the Premier League teams, but they have constantly dragged this on and what started in February has dragged on until nearly May, the clubs will not contribute into saving any lower league team or players, and the greedy rich players have done exactly the same, some would take a pay cut if they got it back later on when things det better, what kind of bloody help is that.

Do not be surprised if we hear the worst in the next few weeks or even days.

3 users thanked author for this post.

Ferrite
    Participant
    Topics: 175
    Replies: 2407

Did the footballers hold a gun to the heads of every chairman in the league, forcing them to pay them so much money? Why is a game which is awash with money full of so many clubs that are in debt?

I for one have felt short changed for years by the lack of passion many players show for the shirt and the club.

What does this even mean? These days, most players are far more professional and dedicated than they were even 20 years ago. Look how fit they are now compared to the past. Do you think that comes for free? No, it requires a lot of work and dedication, eating carefully all the time, keeping off the beer, etc. Those players of the past showed so much “passion” that they were in the pub whenever they weren’t training.

If you don’t like modern football, that’s fine, in fact I agree with you that there is a lot of modern football which absolutely stinks. The inequality in money between rich and poor stinks. The money spent on agents and transfer fees stinks. The ownership of clubs by dodgy regimes and billionaires stinks. The lack of investment in the game’s future stinks.

But don’t pin all the blame on the working man, even if he gets a decent wage. By the way, the average wage in League Two is estimated at about £1,500/week. Which is good money, absolutely, but it’s not life-changing never-have-to-work-again money.

Deereyme66
    Participant
    Topics: 123
    Replies: 3873

Don’t agree with the opening post in regards players being asked to see how they like being paid £2,500 a month. They’re on contracts for a certain ammount of income and will have mortgages and other outgoings commensurate with their expected income. I know thay get paid a lot more than most fans but they’re hardly raking it in like Championship and Premiership players. I doubt many have that much in savings to fall back on. Not disagreeing about the lack of passion some of these players have shown, but that’s been going on for some years and there’s been a lot of previous discussions on here about why that might be and those conversations have alluded to something intrinsically wrong.

Northumbiron
    Participant
    Topics: 250
    Replies: 11008

Correct!

Football has changed since the 70s & 80s but it’s not changed much since the days of Paul Hayes and Cleveland Taylor who we’ve listened to recently and heard about the passion we had in those sides.

Get the right group of players under the right manager supported by the right chairman and you’ll get the passion back.

Regarding what players can live on; the PFA needs to get together with the leagues and come up with a realistic figure. Whether this is £2.5k pcm or more is besides the point. What is important is to get money filtering down through the leagues.

We have known for a long while that this has been a ticking time bomb. COVID19 is the detonator.

cassidystash
    Participant
    Topics: 179
    Replies: 3742

” They’re on contracts for a certain ammount of income and will have mortgages and other outgoings commensurate with their expected income.”

But how is this any different from the many thousands of non-footballers who are expected to manage?

3 users thanked author for this post.

Iron-awe
    Participant
    Topics: 10
    Replies: 4197

It’s no different Cass and there are rules in place to suspend mortgages and rents till things improve and full wages can be re started. Lifestyles can go on hold and basic living needs followed till the country can pull itself round, the players can manage if they apply themselves and do what millions of ordinary people are doing at the minute. They need to get their heads down and apply themselves to the job in hand and that is not kicking a bloody football about and not expecting to be treated any different to anybody else, although the super rich usually do what they want anyway. League two footballers are not the super rich so get on with it.

THE-99%
    Topics: 890
    Replies: 4241

PS has plenty of B””S if you adkme

ironking
    Participant
    Topics: 63
    Replies: 314

What does this even mean? These days, most players are far more professional and dedicated than they were even 20 years ago. Look how fit they are now compared to the past. Do you think that comes for free? No, it requires a lot of work and dedication, eating carefully all the time, keeping off the beer, etc. Those players of the past showed so much “passion” that they were in the pub whenever they weren’t training.

Modern footballers are schooled into playing systems and behaving a certain way from an early age via Club Academies.

You show me a modern Gascoigne, keegan, Daglish, Le Tissier, Best, Currie, Merson, Hoddle, Worthington, Gerrard, Lampard, Bowles, Greaves, Bobby Charlton, Gemmell, Brooking, Beckham all very skillful natural players and British who could with an individual piece of football genius turn a game on its head.

The Premier League U21/U23 teams who we play in the EFL Trophy are all very good and technically the players all the same, but have you seen one player who stands out and makes you think wow!

No because most of those with flair and skill and individual brilliance often have character which clubs do not want, hence the 11 players behind the ball England set up with maybe only Sterling who will one day grace the above list.

Pat O’Cake
    Participant
    Topics: 41
    Replies: 1729

How many of those players you listed had you heard of or seen an individual piece of brilliance from before they became household names in the first team?

Ferrite
    Participant

Modern footballers are schooled into playing systems and behaving a certain way from an early age via Club Academies.

You show me a modern Gascoigne, keegan, Daglish, Le Tissier, Best, Currie, Merson, Hoddle, Worthington, Gerrard, Lampard, Bowles, Greaves, Bobby Charlton, Gemmell, Brooking, Beckham all very skillful natural players and British who could with an individual piece of football genius turn a game on its head.

The Premier League U21/U23 teams who we play in the EFL Trophy are all very good and technically the players all the same, but have you seen one player who stands out and makes you think wow!

No because most of those with flair and skill and individual brilliance often have character which clubs do not want, hence the 11 players behind the ball England set up with maybe only Sterling who will one day grace the above list

I get what you’re saying, I think players produced in academies risk having all the individuality coached out of them. But I don’t see what that has to do with “passion”?

I love those players of individual brilliance – my favourite Scunny players are probably Beagrie & John Eyre, two players who made the game look stupidly easy at times and neither or whom wasted their time running around Chris Dagnall or Paddy Madden stylee.

Deereyme66
    Participant

Bit harsh on Paddy that. He only spent a short time doing that, for reasons unsubstantiated.

Bucksiron
    Participant
    Topics: 277
    Replies: 5072

I suspect most people wouldn’t have a problem with players in the lower leagues taking the wages they do if they commit 100% and give 100% effort to the club that’s paying them.

The problem is that too many lower league players are neither fully committed nor give 100% effort. Remember, these people are meant to be “professionals”.

I therefore have a great deal of sympathy for those players who do their best and very little for those who don’t in the current climate.

As for the Premier League the players have behaved appallingly. Who on earth do they think they’re kidding with this idea that they’re helping to pay for the NHS. If they were that bothered they could donate money to the NHS.

Many clubs are going to struggle to survive.

2 users thanked author for this post.

THE-99%
    Topics: 890
    Replies: 4241

they are paying more than you and I, it’s in our taxes, stop peddling the idea the NHS is a charity

2 users thanked author for this post.

cassidystash
    Participant

I doubt that they will refuse Captain Tom’s contribution though.

Ferrite
    Participant

The problem is that too many lower league players are neither fully committed nor give 100% effort. Remember, these people are meant to be “professionals”.

That’s sounds like a libellous accusation, I hope you can back it up this claim.

It makes me laugh that the sort of people who lionise players like George Best from the past then complain that modern players aren’t committed or professional when the reality is quite the opposite.

Northumbiron
    Participant
    Topics: 250
    Replies: 11008

If they were that bothered they could donate money to the NHS.

Or maybe they should pay a higher rate of income tax?

Oops, sorry! Leftist idea.

Deereyme66
    Participant

Looks like a lot of out of contract players on high wages at most lower league clubs will have to accept lower pay if they want contracts anywhere else. So regardless of furloughing, a big cohort are going to be forced in to pay cuts in the near future. Interesting one, regarding motivation. There’s going to be some serious re-evaluating and downsizing going on for a lot of them. Unless, they decide to leave the game?

cassidystash
    Participant

Will make it easier for us to negotiate reduced terms to retain any OOC high earners we want to keep you would think.

Deereyme66
    Participant

Seems logical. Or they go elsewhere on far lower wages to who ever wants them? Then each club is going to be questioning what their motivation’s going to be like on far less cash? I think inevitably this means there’ll be only a few older experienced players at most clubs surrounded by a load of youngsters. Don’t envy the older ones on larger pay who’s form’s dipped. Hope they have a contingency if they’re cast aside.

Ferrite
    Participant

Looks like a lot of out of contract players on high wages at most lower league clubs will have to accept lower pay if they want contracts anywhere else. So regardless of furloughing, a big cohort are going to be forced in to pay cuts in the near future.

Question: if you were in their shoes and given what you see is coming down the line, would that make you more or less likely to agree a wage cut right now? It might make you keener to dig your heels in and enjoy it while it lasts. Not necessarily the moral choice but an understandable one.

Deereyme66
    Participant

A question with a unique answer from each of the effected players I think. Each will have a lot of variables and ponderables. One thing I don’t think they should do is listen to their agents.

Deereyme66
    Participant

Some of the older players might already be planning for hanging up the boots and might decide to cut lose and start afresh now?

Pat O’Cake
    Participant
    Topics: 41
    Replies: 1729

That’s sounds like a libellous accusation, I hope you can back it up this claim.

It makes me laugh that the sort of people who lionise players like George Best from the past then complain that modern players aren’t committed or professional when the reality is quite the opposite.

Come off it, any football club from any team would be able to name several players they have seen not give 100 % at some point or another, you could probably name a starting 11 from Scunthorpe of players that have been accused of such on here over the years.

Ferrite
    Participant

Depends how you define it Pat but given the dedication required to be a professional footballer these days, you simply can’t cut corners any more.

And I can think of hardly any instances of players not giving it their all. Some don’t run around as much as others but that doesn’t mean they’re not trying – I’ve often said that it often takes more courage to slow down and take a risk rather than just chasing the ball and hoofing it when they get it.

Some of the older players might already be planning for hanging up the boots and might decide to cut lose and start afresh now?

Not the ideal time to start a new job in most lines of business, I would have thought. I know from personal experience it ain’t a good time to be a freelancer!

cassidystash
    Participant

Plenty of fruit & veg. to be picked apparently! Should tide them over the summer when the great slide down the leagues for proportionally less money will begin. Plenty of L1 players will be available for L2 wages I reckon.

Deereyme66
    Participant

The faster you pick, the fitter you get!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.