Grimsby / Wrexham

Iron Bru Forums Blast Furnace Grimsby / Wrexham

• Author
    AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant
    Registered On: June 20, 2017
    Topics: 160

If our owner had introduced a sausage butty at £5.50, no matter how good it was you would have supported that Deerey? Lol.

Deereyme66Deereyme66
    Registered On: May 8, 2017
    Topics: 101

He’s introduced enough sausages during his tenure awaywego. Lol.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Deereyme66Deereyme66

In all seriousness, yes, I would buy decent food for £5.50 from an external pop-up caterer. Paid around that much at a few non league grounds last season and it was value for money due to the high quality.

AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant

Yes I know captain how down the years your supporter’s have dug in their pockets, I believe your fans put money in to help purchase players I think I’m right in saying you once raised £100,000 and that was in the seventies or eighties, and just recently as well didnt your fans put money in to build the pontoon stand as well. I also see your fans are offering car sharing to keep the cost down, you’ll never see the like from our fans, shall I just say we’re not the best. Of course I hope you lose but I think you will understand that😀

AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant

Which non league grounds provide this fine fare Deerey, had a look and other than Grimsby can’t see who else provides such fine fare, your not a closet cod are we?

CaptainCodCaptainCod
    Participant
    Registered On: October 16, 2021
    Topics: 1

The £100,000 you refer to was raised by the fans in operation promotion , which was given to the club to boost the playing budget in the year we were promoted from the national league. It was derided by Fenty who said it put undue pressure on the manager and players.
    Maybe if he had given us an adequate budget in the first place we might not have had to do it!
    The fans also raised the money to sign Joe Waters from Leicester in the 70s , I think it was about £15,000 which at the time was quite a lot of money. You’re right as well the fans did pay towards the pontoon stand , I’m not sure how much or when as it was a bit before my time.
    I have no problem with you wanting us to lose , most scunny fans wouldn’t want to see us promoted when we’re in the same division and vice versa.
    As a Mariner I’d always want us to beat you in the derby and always finish higher in the league .
    I’m not on here to gloat and I take no pleasure from your current predicament. As a genuine football fan I would hate to see Swanny put you into liquidation or for you to be relegated further. As ever when an egotistical chairman shafts a club it’s the fans that suffer , we know that as much as anyone else. We might be rivals but we’re all football fans. We’ve had years of suffering , we are not that much better off than yourselves but at long last at least we can see a chink of light at the end of the tunnel. I hope that day comes for you soon.

5 users thanked author for this post.
    FerriteFerrite
    Participant
    Registered On: December 23, 2013

The best food in football has always been at Kidderminster but it has never been cheap. Yet very few people will have complained about the price given how good their stuff was.

AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant

No not Kidderminster ferrite their prices compare with most teams and the Aggborough soup come in at a very reasonable £1.50, sure Deerey will let us know where he has been to pay such high prices.

Deereyme66Deereyme66

Nice day for a bit more pedantry eh awaywego? 🤣👍. You’ll be waiting a long-time if you think I’m going to start listing on social media the places I’ve been to and might be going back to (some nutters around you know). However, I can tell you they were Counties level 9 and 10 grounds. One place I had a gourmet quarter pounder with salad and relishes (£5). Another place I had 2 burritos (£5.50). Both pop up stands in the ground next to the pitch. It can be done and probably a lot easier at 9-10 level. And yes, I’d pay £5.50 for 2 good quality sausages on decent bread with relishes.

AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant

About what I expected Deerey.

Deereyme66Deereyme66

Glad it met your expectations. Ain’t gonna lose any sleep over it 😀

TwoWrightsTwoWrights
    Participant
    Topics: 4

You’re not near the game anywhere at the LS.

As it was built for athletics the seating is set at a much lower gradient than most modern football stadiums (SJP eg)

Take your binoculars CC!

I found the stadium to be better than many make out, as an aside West Ham fans voted the woodwork as their man of the match, from memory we managed to hit it five times!

Deereyme66Deereyme66

Good piece by the Cod’s Chairman here:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2022/jun/03/culture-trust-talent-graft-grimsby-efl-return?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

Compare and contrast:

“As an entrepreneur with a decent record of building and exiting businesses I am often asked about the secret of success in business. I tell people there is no secret but the clues that seem to improve your odds are all about culture – focus on building a culture of high trust and clear values, foster an attitude of continuous learning and most importantly be prepared to put the required effort in. Or in other words, trust, talent and graft.”

2 users thanked author for this post.
    BeefykeefyBeefykeefy
    Participant
    Topics: 2

Excellent piece by a chairman who cares about his club. We could take heart from that, graft and grit beat the (cheating) prima donnas of Wrexham, with the right recruitmen, There’s no reason why we can’t do well in this league eventually. UTI

dandaherron@yahoo.co.ukJust Iron
    Participant
    Registered On: August 1, 2014
    Topics: 9

Thanks for posting that article,Deerey. Superbly written and the section you quoted absolutely nails it.
    I was thinking of starting a post earlier this week but didn’t quite get there. The essence of it would have been my genuine and deep sadness to realise that the ‘chain’ of my roughly 60 years of being proud of being an Iron supporter has been broken. I used to instinctively grab my scarf when off for an Autumn or Winter walk in the Dales or wherever. I used to adjust my Scunny ‘ski hat’ (??) so that the badge was always showing at the front. Not any more .. at least not at this moment.
    The club has lost its link to supporters and to the community. The healthy culture of the previous years of Laws, Adkins and Wharton et al has been allowed to erode and fracture. Our part in the promotion drama of the final day makes me carry more shame than pride. I hope I live to see my old sense of being part of something humble, honest and clean restored.

4 users thanked author for this post.
    Deereyme66Deereyme66

It seems impertinent to ‘like / thank’ your post above JI but I’m sure many others share the sentiments.

Staines MassiveStaines Massive
    Participant
    Registered On: December 26, 2013
    Topics: 5

It’s difficult to read that people are ashamed and embarrassed about their team. You shouldn’t be, it’s not your support that’s failed. When someone in power fails miserably due to a lack of effort then it’s those people who should be embarrassed and ashamed. Be proud of your club, be proud that you raised your voice in anger at what was happening, be proud that you weren’t fooled and told them so even when there was nothing you could do about it. It’s out of your control but you still stood there shoulder to shoulder hoping and praying things would improve unlike the money men who just stood there and did nothing. When they lie and deceive true supporters will alway ask the questions knowing the answer already. Never be ashamed of who you are or where you are. Never be ashamed if you were fooled by one man and his sycophants. You are many, truth will out. These people are so poor all they have is money. Fans have an identity, a bond. They have strength in numbers and a selfish, no Good liar can never take that away. Scunthorpe United, there is a clue in the title of how to beat this.

CaptainCodCaptainCod
    Participant
    Topics: 1

Brilliant post , there’s been many times I have felt ashamed to be a mariner over the last 20 years because of the performances on the pitch and actions of our former chairman. But as fans we stand together through good and bad. Players and chairmen come and go (well it took us 18 years to get rid of ours ) but fans don’t .
    I’ve seen us win at Stamford bridge, Goodison , Anfield and St James park but also stood in a gloried chicken coop and watched us be embarrassed by part timers like Braintree and Tamworth in the national league .
    I’ve only just come to terms with yesterday , a long expensive and emotional day ! But probably one of the most important in our history .
    The new owners with their attitude and approach have brought everyone together. They promised us nothing but hard work , honesty, transparency and a will to improve things on a day to day basis.
    Leadership starts from the top , and as we had for many years you to have one of the worst chairmen in history .
    Hope you get rid of Swanny . Stay united . Football is for the fans

6 users thanked author for this post.
    Everytime refereePat O’Cake
    Participant
    Registered On: December 27, 2013
    Topics: 17

I have never had a problem paying a bit more for good quality food & drink, I do however have problem paying top dollar for crap which is what happens at the majority of stadiums.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant

No reason there can’t be good quality at a reasonable price a lot of those who attend are family’s and can’t afford £22 for 4 sausage butties never mind a drink as well. It’s the owner not the club who is profiteering.

Deereyme66Deereyme66

I’d suggest the family eat something healthier at home before the match if finding £22 for something decent is beyond their budget compared to £16 for absolute rubbish. Or, given it was cited as £5.50 for 2 sausages in a bap they buy 2 and share it between them. How much food do they need to eat ffs?!

NorthumbironNorthumbiron
    Registered On: January 3, 2014
    Topics: 66

Agree with that Deerey.

Away travel is when you need some scran and a drink at the ground.

In which case it’s the opposition’s reputation not Scunny’s.

Hence the mention of Kidderminster et al.

AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant

Don’t know Deerey you had better ask said family, I take my own food into the ground for grand kids, drinks at away games, none let us in with a drink last season at the games we went to, Harrogate had some front saying they classed bottles of pepsi as an offensive weapon, but on entry their food outlet sold the same bottle, not so offensive when there getting the money.

AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant

You must have some poor away days if you resort eating and drinking in the ground NI. That’s certainly one highlights over last few seasons finding somewhere decent to eat and drink, you went to Hartlepool, didn’t you go to the Cameron’s brewery pub, well at least for the drink?

Deereyme66Deereyme66

‘Don’t know Deerey you had better ask said family’

It was you who brought up ‘family’, same as it was you who brought up ‘gender’ on the other thread and then decided you’re not really arsed about gender in punditry, or along those lines.

I assume you mean a hypothetical family? In which case, how is anyone going to ask them?

Waste of time trying to reason with you, you follow no logic known to humankind! 🤣

AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant

My first post on the Grimsby sausages was about the owners charging to much for them but we digressed as normal. But I’ll push for a fair deal especially for families. Did I ever tell you I was a shop steward used to fighting for all not just myself. Do you do that Deerey? you don’t seem to be big on families.

AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant

Defo bothered about gender in punditry. You really need to read that other post again Deerey.

Deereyme66Deereyme66

Pushing for a fair deal for families my arse! 🤣🤣

As for the rest of your straw man arguments, I refer you to the last paragraph of my last post.

mkironMK Iron
    Participant
    Topics: 46

Do us a favour you two and book a room.

Deereyme66Deereyme66

Or you could add your thoughts on these topics? Failing that you could skim read it and not bother?

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.