Grimsby / Wrexham

Iron Bru Forums Blast Furnace Grimsby / Wrexham

• Author
    SideriteSiderite
    Participant
    Registered On: December 12, 2014
    Topics: 78

Hi guys Grimsby fan here in peace.

Was interested in why you let mcatee go?

He had downed tools and had an attitude problem behind the scenes, allegedly. However, that wasn’t limited to him and has continued since, so whether there is more to it which may put him in a better light, I don’t know. There seems to be a rotten atmosphere and culture within the playing squad at the moment and we don’t know the full story. Though, it was common knowledge that one of 2020-21’s worst alleged culprits for this was McAtee.

CaptainCodCaptainCod
    Participant
    Registered On: October 16, 2021
    Topics: 1

Some interesting posts on here as usual .
    My understanding of the Macatee situation was that he was out of contract, refused your offer as he wanted to play for Hurst again and as he was under 24 we had to pay you a transfer fee that was undisclosed . Please correct me if I’m wrong.
    As some of your posters have pointed out I’m sure if Swanny hadn’t decided to dispense of Hurst you’d be in a much better position , although the problems started long before that and you could say the same about Alexander.
    Although we’ve had the rub of the green in the play offs so far , which in any knockout competition you do need , the way we’ve played this season has surpassed many fans expectations after 18 years of mismanagement . We’ve taken it as a free hit , consolidation and steady improvements under the new owners was the aim for the season, anything else is a bonus .
    The last 2 games will mean nothing if we don’t win on Sunday , that would be so like us, do the hard work against 2 of the favourites in the play offs and then lose to Solihull !
    If we don’t go up we will still be in a much stronger position next season even though Wrexham will throw more money at it and will be odds on favourites.
    I can see your point about not wanting us to go up as we would fill your away end , I mentioned previously on another thread about how your income streams would be reduced by the lack of away support .
    We played Boreham Wood in our 2nd or 3rd to last home game who could have overtaken us in the play off race had they beaten us and they brought a grand following of 16 fans in the away end !
    This league is a hell hole , I hope we are not playing you next year for obvious reasons , but if we are it’s one of the games I will look forward to most . All of us Mariners have been here too, we understand the hurt. Hopefully in the not to distant future the local derby will take place in the league again .
    Up The Mariners .
    Swann out !

CaptainCodCaptainCod
    Participant

I hope Dan Gallimore does well for you . I used to drink in the same pub as his dad Tony , who was known to the town fans and players as Tony gallons more due to his drinking habits but is actually a very nice guy. He was a great player for us at championship level although always huffing and puffing in the last 20 minutes of games due to his off field activities! If his lad his half the player he was he will do well.
    I ran into them both on the way out of Glanford Park after we beat you in the last game before lockdown. I asked Tony why he let his son sign for you when your an ex player and town fan? He said I’ve got to do the best for him , scunnys facilities and youth set up are better than towns ! Ouch . True though our training facilities although improving amount to a porta cabin in a field. Thanks Fenty !

2 users thanked author for this post.
    ironfromafarironfromafar
    Participant
    Registered On: October 10, 2021
    Topics: 19

indeed a cracking game tho im hearing Mullin is getting a bit of stick re POSSIBLY falling over for the penalty and then his Maradona moment ..alas means not a jot as the Cods never gave up and IMO deserved their win.
    On a selfish note hoping Solihul win the final purely as already ststed it means 2 local derbies plus a packed away end .. the latter may happen a few times with some of the higher profile NL clubs .. ie Chesterfield , Wrexham , Notts County and Halifax etc.

Alas im predicting a Cod promotion as the way they have won the games sniffs of this is their year and well done to them and Hurst … kicked out ov GP cos he wouldnt put up with Swanns bullshit.. seems Hill isnt so straight and continues to try to run with the foxes n the hounds saying the right things to the fans whilst always watching Swanns back .. a yes man that IMO needs to go as soon new owners arrive IF ANY ARRIVE.

PREDICTION Solihul 2 Cods 3

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Everytime refereePat O’Cake
    Participant
    Registered On: December 27, 2013
    Topics: 17

Cracking game, thoroughly enjoyed it.

lesgeolesgeo
    Participant
    Registered On: December 25, 2013
    Topics: 96

There really was a lot wrong with McAtee in his last season for us and – I’m pretty sure that we’d have released him if we hadn’t sniffed the possibility of a transfer fee.
    I’ll repeat what I put on another thread. We brought in 3 great players from Shrewsbury who’d all played under Hurst – and under Hurst they got better and better BUT …
    Under Cox – all three deteriorated badly in different ways.
    All three playing as they could and we’d have still been in the EFL.

It was very easy to predict how well McAtee would do under the care of Hurst, once again. Hmm. I wonder if he’s pursuing Eisa and Gilliead?

FerriteFerrite
    Participant
    Registered On: December 23, 2013
    Topics: 101

Who watched it ? Maybe the best game of footy ive seen this year. Incredible.
    Was’nt the winning Manager something to do with us at one time ?? Didnt we once have one of the best players on the pitch in our team ?
    Well done to both teams.

When did “footy” become acceptable? Soccer’s fine but I draw the line at footy!

Anyway, well done to the Cods, an incredible game of football. Hope they get promoted to save us the avoidance from being hammered twice next season. You can only imagine just how much McAtee would enjoy sticking one up us next season; I think we’ve suffered enough in the last couple of years without having to deal with Grimsby fans celebrating at our place!

FerriteFerrite
    Participant

I hope Dan Gallimore does well for you . I used to drink in the same pub as his dad Tony , who was known to the town fans and players as Tony gallons more due to his drinking habits but is actually a very nice guy. He was a great player for us at championship level although always huffing and puffing in the last 20 minutes of games due to his off field activities! If his lad his half the player he was he will do well.

Gallimore Jnr is built like a tank – has played in both midfield & centre back, not sure which will turn out to be his final position but he looks like a defender.

Grimsby’s run in the play-offs reminds me a bit of our run in 2009 – riding their luck a bit but also making luck with the way they play.

cassidystashcassidystash
    Participant
    Registered On: January 4, 2014
    Topics: 104

“When did “footy” become acceptable? Soccer’s fine but I draw the line at footy!”

Harks back to childhood Ferrite, I went to the park to play footy. If I’d suggested to my mates we had a game of soccer I’d have been left behind.

6 users thanked author for this post.
    BeefykeefyBeefykeefy
    Participant
    Topics: 2

lesgeo did we not offer Mcatee a new deal which he turned down?

FerriteFerrite
    Participant

lesgeo did we not offer Mcatee a new deal which he turned down?

Yes, if we hadn’t we wouldn’t have been able to claim a transfer fee – which went to tribunal I think?

AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant
    Registered On: June 20, 2017
    Topics: 160

We would also fill your away end captain, heard they reduced the away end capacity only letting 1500 in now is this true and if so why.

Iron-aweIron-awe
    Participant
    Registered On: June 21, 2017
    Topics: 11

We would also fill your away end captain, heard they reduced the away end capacity only letting 1500 in now is this true and if so why.

Because it’s a shit hole and it’s falling down 🤔😂

CaptainCodCaptainCod
    Participant

Stockport and Notts county were given 1800 tickets. Although the Osmand stand behind the goal holds more , as is usual at most clubs now the first 4/5 rows are tarpaulined off to help prevent fans jumping on the pitch when they score. Waste of time as it doesn’t work !

AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant

That’s what we should adopt, everyman and his dog encroach when they score at ours, and last season that was a lot.

Iron-aweIron-awe
    Participant
    Registered On: June 21, 2017
    Topics: 11

TBF Captain Cod the Osmond Stand has always been pants, anywhere more then two thirds up you can’t see the whole pitch. Bloody joke of a stand.

CaptainCodCaptainCod
    Participant

Can’t argue with you there Iron-awe, I’ve sat in there my self as it used by home fans when only a small away crowd is expected.
    The whole of Blundell Park with the exception of the Findus stand needs a lot of redevelopment . It’s been neglected for 20 years whilst our former chairman looked to build a new ground that would feather his own nest . We were still no closer to getting one on the day he left than the day he walked through the door.
    The trouble with relocation is that the land Blundell sits on is no where near as valuable as yours. Any profit made would nearly all be wiped out by the costs of dismantling the stands.
    In the long term the new owners still want to relocate but in the short term are trying to improve Blundell Park as best they can . I believe plans to install a cantilever roof over the Main stand and Osmand stand are being looked at.
    In their first season they’ve engaged with the fans and already hugely improved the match day experience . A fanzone has been created , new bars and better toilet and handicapped facilities, pop up food stalls from local businesses which are excellent. All small things but a step in the right direction.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    cassidystashcassidystash
    Participant
    Registered On: January 4, 2014
    Topics: 104

Small things maybe, but big enough to make me jealous!!

AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant

One of those businessess wouldn’t be owned by one of your owners would it? Charging £5.50 for 2 sausages with caramelized onions in a brioche bun, bargain.

AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant

Interesting that the Northern final to be played in London, The London stadium chosen in case Wrexham and Notts county made the final, perhaps the cods aren’t as big a club as they think they are, tickets more expensive than the championship playoff final, £44 in all.

mkironMK Iron
    Participant
    Topics: 46

I think I read somewhere all of the other possible large capacity venues had pitch relaying booked. London stadium had delayed theirs to host Soccer Aid – which obviously should be called Footy Aid.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    CaptainCodCaptainCod
    Participant

I guess you were referring to Andrew Petite awaywego? His family butchers shop folded during lockdown and as far as I’m aware he wasn’t involved in it . He made his money in the city in property and investment funds . He has made several light hearted comments about selling Petites sausages in the ground though .
    Admittedly some of the new food is pricey , 5/6 quid but it is quality stuff , one of the main complaints from the fans was the quality of beer and food on offer at BP , which lets be honest is overpriced and crap at most grounds.
    The kiosks selling the standard fare of over cooked dry pies and a cheap hot dog on a dry half stale bun for 4 quid are still open , but personally I’d rather pay a couple of quid more for something that is tasty and edible . The bars are now run by the supporters trust who get the profits , as well as stands by a local company dock beers who sell their own brewed beer.
    Things are by no means perfect at BP and I’m certainly not trying to give it the Billy big Balls on here . I’ve read your forum for the last few years and the similar complaints about your ground . The toilets , the bars , lack of good food , scoreboard not working etc .
    Fenty was exactly the same as Swann. We had 18 years of him , I hope you don’t have to endure that with Swann .

4 users thanked author for this post.
    CaptainCodCaptainCod
    Participant

As regards the play off tickets and venue it’s a disgrace and sums up how this tin pot league is run .
    I think there would have been a lot of complaints who ever was in the final. Before the Olympic stadium was booked by the national league all of the teams who could make the play offs were in the north . The furthest south was Solihull, who will probably sell 5000 tickets max . Surely Old Trafford , the Ethiad , Villa park , Anfield , Molinuex and others could have been better options . Unfortunately it’s more convenient for the national league and their sponsors to have it in London with no regard to the fans of the clubs who are playing in it.
    The price of the tickets are more expensive than the championship play off final at Wembley! Compounded with that it’s jubilee weekend and you’re talking 150 quid a night for a room in a travelodge.
    The tickets in the lowers tiers sold out this morning to season ticket holders , and there were no concessions for kids in the more expensive upper tiers . Thankfully after pressure from the club , supporters trust and radio humberside the national league have back tracked on that .
    It’s just cost me 80 quid for tickets for me and my lad and without staying over , petrol parking and food in the ground it will probably cost me 200 quid for a day out at the football !
    I know I shouldn’t moan as were in the final but it just makes me angry that the average football fan is dumped on from a great height by the money men .

5 users thanked author for this post.
    ironfromafarironfromafar
    Participant
    Registered On: October 10, 2021
    Topics: 19

Watched Ironarmy Gareths YT vlog at the championship play off ..the Forest fans were awesome apparently .. bottom of the league when Cook came in n now in the EPL .. remarkable !!

BTW a milkshake is 8 quid let alone the price of a beer or some scran.

I dont often say this in fact its a first ..good luck to the Cods they desrve their chance to go back in the EPL and looking how things have panned out in the play offs there should definately e some goals (late goals) and an entertaining game in prospect… the Cods should not take Solihul to lightly thinking they are up already after beating both Notts C and Hollywood Wrexham… Solihul have a fantastic goal scoring ratio ..yes teams score against them but they score more USUALLY.

Solihul 2 Cods 3 AET … with a late winner from Macatee

FerriteFerrite
    Participant

he whole of Blundell Park with the exception of the Findus stand needs a lot of redevelopment . It’s been neglected for 20 years whilst our former chairman looked to build a new ground …. We were still no closer to getting one on the day he left than the day he walked through the door.

Huh, what does that remind you of?

The ticketing for the Cods final is outrageous – and apparently they’ve dismantled the lower tiers behind the goals so you’ll be paying big money to not be anywhere near the game!

NorthumbironNorthumbiron
    Registered On: January 3, 2014
    Topics: 66

You’re not near the game anywhere at the LS.

As it was built for athletics the seating is set at a much lower gradient than most modern football stadiums (SJP eg)

Take your binoculars CC!

AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant

Sorry you are wrong captain, Andrew Pettits butchers closed in 2017 and not during lockdown,but has reopened and are selling said sausages in the fan zone at £5.50 a pop. I do think your owners could help out by subsidising the buses to London like our owner as done in the past he even laid on free buses to one game, but then again I suppose you’d just be happy to have a club that run buses to away games like we do all the time and not just this big game for you. Its just another thing that we do well, hardly use them myself but is always nice to know they are there if you need them.

Deereyme66Deereyme66
    Registered On: May 8, 2017

Agree with Captain Cod, I’d rather pay another £1.50 for decent food than paying £4 for absolute rubbish.

Regarding the rest of his post, ignore awaywego CC, he’d pick a scrap with himself if there was no one else around! There’s always one though. I’m sure your meaningful contributions are welcomed by many on here. It’s good to have a bit of variety and input from friendly rival fans and chew the cud with them. Don’t let one person’s antagonism put you off posting in future. UTI

5 users thanked author for this post.
    VanadramaVanadrama
    Participant
    Registered On: May 24, 2022
    Topics: 0

Awaywego’s club sounds fantastic, absolute dream football-free bus riding sporting utopia, who does he support?

Deereyme66Deereyme66
    Registered On: May 8, 2017

‘free bus riding sporting utopia’ 😅🤣

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.