Grimsby / Wrexham

Iron Bru Forums Blast Furnace Grimsby / Wrexham

• Author
    hennyoldironOldiron
    Participant
    Registered On: October 19, 2017
    Topics: 3

Who watched it ? Maybe the best game of footy ive seen this year. Incredible.
    Was’nt the winning Manager something to do with us at one time ?? Didnt we once have one of the best players on the pitch in our team ?
    Well done to both teams.

4 users thanked author for this post.
    mkironMK Iron
    Participant
    Registered On: December 23, 2013
    Topics: 46

Cracking game albeit helped as a spectacle by the kind of defending we have become used to in recent seasons.

Wrexham blaming the ref who was shocking although the Cods got the worst of his poor decisions.

Now a win/win for us. Either the Cods suffer a Wembley disappointment or they don’t get to take 6 points off us next season.

AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant
    Registered On: June 20, 2017
    Topics: 160

Yes, shame he was an arsehole for us and didn’t want to try. Evidently that culture was still at the club last season. What can you do?

2 users thanked author for this post.
    SD0101SD0101
    Participant
    Registered On: March 31, 2022
    Topics: 5

Bad news all round,Wrexham will throw more money at it next year,only if our chairman and manager realised it was easier to stay up rather than getting out the conference. Unless that was the plan !!

Iron-aweIron-awe
    Participant
    Registered On: June 21, 2017
    Topics: 11

All the stars aligning for a Cod’s promotion at this rate, three last gasp goals in the last two games sends them to Wembley. Would be quite ironic and hilarious if they lose the final in the last minute.

Staines MassiveStaines Massive
    Participant
    Registered On: December 26, 2013
    Topics: 5

It’s not at Wembley

3 users thanked author for this post.
    Deereyme66Deereyme66
    Registered On: May 8, 2017
    Topics: 101

Wrexham will be subject to some new National League player budget cap next season so will only be allowed to throw so much money at it.

cassidystashcassidystash
    Participant
    Registered On: January 4, 2014
    Topics: 104

If you need to score 5 to win games in the NL then next season could be a bit tricky. Takes us about 10 games to get that many.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    mkironMK Iron
    Participant

Given Wrexham get close to 10,000 at home games their player budget with a salary cap will be four or five times the one we will be working to.

Not something that is likely to concern us. If Swann is still around our best outcome is to still be in business. If we get new ownership the objective will be to avoid relegation.

Well done to those that spotted the play off final is at West Ham’s ground.

AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant

It’s not West Ham’s ground they only lease it. Bought with taxpayers money, still needs taxpayers money to cover losses.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Iron-aweIron-awe
    Participant

It’s not at Wembley

Didn’t realise that, bit strange, FA Trophy Final at Wembley but not the playoff final.

NorthumbironNorthumbiron
    Registered On: January 3, 2014
    Topics: 66

It’s not West Ham’s ground they only lease it. Bought with taxpayers money, still needs taxpayers money to cover losses.

Saw Depeche Mode there in 2016!

inspectorinspector
    Participant
    Registered On: September 11, 2016

Three of the five would be o.gs.

mkironMK Iron
    Participant

Wembley is busy with some glorified England friendlies.

Apologies Awaywego I thought the fact that West Ham playing there would qualify it as being their ground.

I will of course check the title deeds before making such a comment again. Mind you Swann has shown us how difficult it can be to determine exactly who owns a football ground.

6 users thanked author for this post.
    Anonymous
    Inactive
    Registered On:

Hurst and McAtee should never have left us.

Bartoniron66Bartoniron66
    Participant
    Registered On: May 29, 2017
    Topics: 56

Grimsby are riding the Lady Luck train to promotion! If it wasn’t for a stupid push on one of there players by a notts county player with 20 seconds to go in the game on Monday they would be sat at home in fishyville by now.

lesgeolesgeo
    Participant
    Registered On: December 25, 2013
    Topics: 96

All the reporting I heard seemed to suggest that Hurst was pushed out from GP – not for being a poor manager but for failing to kowtow properly.
    Maybe I read that wrong.

As for yesterday’s game – congratulations to Mr Hurst for the superb job he has done. This is a good team and one which will improve.

Interesting what Wrexham have done. Tozer’s long throws and two decent forwards have produced a team which steamrollers opposition. I was less impressed with the defenders, however.

AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant

Sorry MK I just don’t like paying taxes for it.

IronaweIronawe
    Participant
    Registered On: December 31, 2013
    Topics: 40

You are right Les, Hurst didn’t do what Swann told him and so got the boot – just when he started to play some good football with KVV and the rest. As MW said it was one of the bad decisions at GP.

7 users thanked author for this post.
    Iron-aweIron-awe
    Participant

Saw Depeche Mode there in 2016!

See Andrew Fletcher just died.

chiefphotoDavid
    Participant
    Registered On: July 8, 2018
    Topics: 0

Promises made to Hurst and Doig were broken or never kept, remember a conversation along those lines at the away game at Macclesfield.
    Another set of poor decisions from the professional chairman and his ‘staff’.

NorthumbironNorthumbiron

Yeah, very sad.

cassidystashcassidystash
    Participant
    Registered On: January 4, 2014
    Topics: 104

Don’t know if Hill knows Dieseruvwe from Tranmere. Looks a handful and can’t get in the Cods starting 11 but scores a few when he gets on. OOC at Tranmere – a possible?

BottesfordIrons5North Lincolnshire Irons
    Participant
    Registered On: September 30, 2017
    Topics: 58

If I remember correctly Swann sacked Hurst after comments Hurst made on the radio regarding NOT BEING GIVEN WHAT WAS PROMISED. But we had just won a couple of matches and begun playing better and it looked like we had turned the corner. We felt angry about the decision to sack him. When I say “NOT BEING GIVEN WHAT WAS PROMISED”, that is what has happened throughout the tenure of the Swanns regarding our Scunthorpe United FC.

RichgyRichgy
    Participant
    Registered On: May 29, 2022
    Topics: 6

Hi guys Grimsby fan here in peace.

Was a cracker yesterday but an emotional roller-coaster!

I always have a listen to the iron bru podcast and enjoy so thought I would join the forum.

I was resigned but slightly excited by playing you and all the other local games next season but now it may not happen!

Was interested in why you let mcatee go?

And also is Tony Gallimores son a decent player /prospect?

I hope things get sorted out at your club because for all the banter I know most of our fans would miss the local derbies even if they happen rarely

cliffbyrnesrightpegCliff Byrne’s Right Peg
    Participant
    Registered On: October 17, 2015
    Topics: 57

Grimsby are riding the Lady Luck train to promotion! If it wasn’t for a stupid push on one of there players by a notts county player with 20 seconds to go in the game on Monday they would be sat at home in fishyville by now.

Sorry but there’s nothing lucky about it. They’ve played some good stuff and deserved to go through both ties.

We are in serious trouble if that’s the standard we are up against

Iron-aweIron-awe
    Participant

Young Gallimore is doing very well thanks for asking and we will deffo see a lot more first team action next season. As for McAtee was doing ok under Hurst but just stopped showing interest after he left and Wilcox assumed temporary charge till the end of that season. Our problems start and end with our pathetic owner and former Chairman but I guess you will know that if you have read this forum over recent seasons. Don’t lose it in the last minute in the final eh 😂

RichgyRichgy
    Participant
    Registered On: May 29, 2022
    Topics: 6

Going to watch the game today not sure who want to win. Solihull thrown a lot of money at it a very good side. Maybe if you bring in a few next season you will be okay. Every game is a battle though and having a load of kids playing in this would be a disaster, dover sort of did that and were getting heavily beaten most games.Theres a lot of lumps who lump it

BottesfordIrons5North Lincolnshire Irons
    Participant
    Registered On: September 30, 2017
    Topics: 58

Hi Richgy You deserve to be in the play-off final. Really enjoyed the match yesterday. You’ve got two of our ex-players, Mcatee and Luke Waterfall. Two of your best players and I knew Mcatee definitely could score goals and was a good player, but who knows what went on behind the scenes here at Scunthorpe and I’ve felt whilst Swann has been our Chairman we haven’t valued and taken care of our players well enough. I was gutted when Waterfall left us too, could see he was a good player. Swann has dessimated our Club and sacked Hurst for simply speaking out. I wish you all the best in the final even though I would have looked forward to playing you next season!!!

NorthumbironNorthumbiron

For selfish reasons I’d rather Grimsby and Chesterfield lost out as they’ll both fill the away end next season.

However, Hurst proving Swann was wrong to sack him will leave me with a wry smile!

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.