Home Forums The New Blast Furnace GP REDEVELOPMENT ???

bartonscorpion
    Participant
    Topics: 141
    Replies: 2900

So planning permission has been agreed between the Council and Peter Swann for the apartments, which has been holding everything back regarding the ground refurbishments commencement, now this agreement has been reached when does it look likely for construction work to start.

In my opinion, the end of April would seem perfect after such a long wait for fans regarding it happening, this would be good timing for the access road to be done in the two month period, also contracts to be awarded, materials to be ordered and delivered, cabins to be erected, the two month period would be fine, if the club really intends to go ahead with the project, I have a feeling that it will go ahead after my many years of doubt.

So Mr Swann, it is entirely up to you now, planning agreed for stadium and apartments, so supporters are all behind you with this, and at the same time do not forget about the playing side of the club, a good season is now required and lets get gates up to 4,000 once more.

2 users thanked author for this post.

Ironawe
    Participant
    Topics: 48
    Replies: 781

I just can’t see it happening even with this announcement

3 users thanked author for this post.

Sanfran49
    Participant
    Topics: 279
    Replies: 6254

What happens will happen.

To BartonScorpion – check non-football forum.

(ps:48 !!! not bad eh ?)

billpuntonsghost
    Participant
    Topics: 505
    Replies: 4014

….I can think of a few that come on this site who will be gutted by this news.

Pat O’Cake
    Participant
    Topics: 39
    Replies: 1679

Why would anyone be gutted by news of a re-development to our stadium???? I’m not gutted, I was gutted everytime we were given start dates and promises in the past, but not by this.

1 user thanked author for this post.

cassidystash
    Participant
    Topics: 178
    Replies: 3689

I can think of a few. Those that said “it will never happen” and hate to be proved wrong will possibly be having a few squeaky bum moments. Mind you they could still be right.

Ironawe
    Participant
    Topics: 48
    Replies: 781

I would, for the record, love it happen. As I would’ve loved the new stadium to be built. Too many false dawns for me though and it now just feels like one man’s folly

4 users thanked author for this post.

THE-99%
    Topics: 833
    Replies: 4005

Why would anyone be gutted by news of a re-development to our stadium???? I’m not gutted, I was gutted everytime we were given start dates and promises in the past, but not by this.

I am gutted at the cost on top of massive losses and loans hanging over the club we’re going to borrow more ,how are we going to pay for it?

Cliff Byrne’s Right Peg
    Participant
    Topics: 27
    Replies: 750

how are we going to pay for it?

‘planning permission Granted for 160 apartments’

Might be a good place to start looking

THE-99%

Mrf Swann said the apartments had no bearing on the Stadium plans in a recent podcast,ar you saying he’s a fibber/

THE-99%

160 apartments at max retail value, £16m minus costs so about 4m profit at most ,not even 1 seasons losses . That’s at a very much overestimated value of a flat next to a railway on lodge moor

Bucksiron
    Participant
    Topics: 272
    Replies: 5005

Developments such as this cover their costs and generate profits over time. They also increase asset values. The value of GP will have already increased simply as a result of the residential planning consent.

The trouble is that people who criticise Swann just don’t seem to understand what he’s doing. Nor do they appear to understand:

1. How easy it would have been for Swann to have made loads of money by selling GP years ago. If he didn’t care about the club he could have sold up and moved on, making a lot of money in the process.

2. Just how much risk Swann’s taking to back the club.

3. How ridiculous it is to criticise Swann over the original new ground. It’s easy for people to talk about false promises, etc, while forgetting the delays have all cost Swann a stack of money.

I repeat, if Swann didn’t care he’d have walked away by now. Instead of moaning and groaning people might actually consider just what he’s doing for the club.

barriethomas
    Participant
    Topics: 195
    Replies: 1278

Would love to live near the railway !

Deereyme66
    Participant
    Topics: 109
    Replies: 3553

How easy it would have been to make loads of money selling it years ago? Are you for real? At what point was that before a number of posters started and and continue to claim no one else would be willing to buy the club? That aside, it’s not so much a problem understanding what he’s doing, it’s actually seeing it that’s been the problem!

Cliff Byrne’s Right Peg
    Participant

160 apartments at max retail value, £16m minus costs so about 4m profit at most ,not even 1 seasons losses . That’s at a very much overestimated value of a flat next to a railway on lodge moor

what’s the alternative ?

Northumbiron
    Participant
    Topics: 239
    Replies: 10601

The redevelopment I’m concerned about is the redevelopment of the team.

How Swann goes about this is in my mind more important than bricks and mortar. Who will the next manager be and what sort of budget will he be given?

I’m still unconvinced that the redevelopment of the stadium will be the panacea some believe it to be. Particularly as the club continues to get the basics wrong.

6 users thanked author for this post.

THE-99%

they could rent them out which would return about 850k a year, not sure what gearing Swann has on the development but I assume most of that would be swallowed up in finance repayments so not much left to cover 4m a year lost in the last half decade or so let alone finance a new stadium and continue paying super wages.
    I’d just run the club properly ,using youth and player sales to finance the 1st team,like our best chairman did. Which begs the question ,why do we need a sugardaddy to fill up the car park with pointless flats?
    I wonder if peter will ever tell us how much these flats will release for footballing matters ,I can’t figure out how there’ll be a penny for the team,we’re not in London where rental prices are stupid enough.

Cliff Byrne’s Right Peg
    Participant

they could rent them out which would return about 850k a year, not sure what gearing Swann has on the development but I assume most of that would be swallowed up in finance repayments so not much left to cover 4m a year lost in the last half decade or so let alone finance a new stadium and continue paying super wages.
    I’d just run the club properly ,using youth and player sales to finance the 1st team,like our best chairman did. Which begs the question ,why do we need a sugardaddy to fill up the car park with pointless flats?
    I wonder if peter will ever tell us how much these flats will release for footballing matters ,I can’t figure out how there’ll be a penny for the team,we’re not in London where rental prices are stupid enough.

I can’t remember whether the development was earmarked to be sold or leased out. Perhaps including the NHS in on a deal would be beneficial if they’re leasing out space in the east stand to them. Continuous occupancy and the club still retain the freehold.

Pat O’Cake
    Participant
    Topics: 39
    Replies: 1679

I can think of a few. Those that said “it will never happen” and hate to be proved wrong will possibly be having a few squeaky bum moments. Mind you they could still be right.

I was one of those that said from the very start it would never happen and that the club could not afford it, trust me I would love nothing more than to be wrong and would wolf down humble pie like a fat kid on spice.

Ferrite
    Participant
    Topics: 170
    Replies: 2315

I can’t remember whether the development was earmarked to be sold or leased out. Perhaps including the NHS in on a deal would be beneficial if they’re leasing out space in the east stand to them. Continuous occupancy and the club still retain the freehold.

I imagine they’ll all be sold, albeit some to landlords to rent out. I’m fairly certain the planning permission approval required a certain number of “affordable homes” to be included in the plan, which obviously eat into the deveolper’s margin.

If you look at the planning approval for the stadium redevelopment, you’ll see there are several pages of prior requirements (reports, etc.) to be completed before work can start. It would be interesting to know if all of these have been carried out yet.

waltersleftfoot
    Participant
    Topics: 3
    Replies: 319

Spot on NI

Bucksiron
    Participant
    Topics: 272
    Replies: 5005

“How easy it would have been to make loads of money selling it years ago? Are you for real?”

Are you for real, Deerey?! I’m talking about GP, not the club for heaven’s sake. When Swann bought the club the asset value of GP was pretty high as retail development land. Since then the GP land value will have dropped as bricks and mortar retail businesses are struggling. However, none of that removes the fact that Swann could have sold it and made a lot of money for himself while investing peanuts in the club; and if he’s the tyrant some on here seem to believe that’s exactly what he’d have done.

As for everything else you have to see the bigger picture. We’re talking here about long-term investment and asset building. People don’t seem to understand how this works, which is fine but then they should do more to find out rather than just beating Swann over the head about it.

Also, people appear to have no idea about financing. The whole point about risk and reward is that it takes time to make a return, during which things can go up and down in value. That’s exactly why we need someone such as Swann to look at the longer term.

Regarding NI’s comment, what happens with GP will have a big bearing on budgets and what’s available for the manager. This is why it’s such a shame things have taken so long with planning. The sooner GP could have been redeveloped the more money it could have been making and the bigger the budgets could have been.

People saying “why bother to redevelop GP at all” need to understand that without this the club would be unsustainable. This doesn’t mean the redevelopment’s going to be a panacea. On the contrary, it’s just a hard fact of life that for any football club to survive and prosper it will have to adapt to a changing world. Just as successful farmers now have to do far more than farming so a successful football club has to do far more than just play football at its ground.

Obviously there are risks, but they’re always going to there. A far bigger risk than redeveloping GP would be to do nothing at all.

Deereyme66
    Participant
    Topics: 109
    Replies: 3553

Hang on Bucks, so you’ve seriously posited that he could have sold the stadium as an asset? That’s ridiculous, no one has ever claimed that’s why he got involved; with a view to doing something like that. A complete non sequitur. Pointless raising it. There’s one thing running an organisation under criticism and quite another operating like a complete shyster with no regard for the club whatsoever. No one is claiming the latter.

As for the rest of your post, instead of the patronising points about supporters not understanding business, why don’t YOU do your research and look at the number of club’s owners who have tried something similar in similar circumstances and virtually killed the club? Then you might actually start to understand the reservations. Reservations that you are too quick to turn into some sort of hatred of the owner.

And you can say what you like about ‘adapting to a changing world’, as I see it we’re adapting to overspending. Simple as that. However, I will say this: my opinion is that until the long term future of the Steelworks is sorted, nothing will happen. But we shall see.

Northumbiron
    Participant
    Topics: 239
    Replies: 10601

But Bucks, the club has been doing “nothing at all” whilst the wrangling has gone on. THIS is what posters have been voicing their concern about.

We didn’t need a refurbishment to get the basics of catering, merchandising, open days, fans forums etc right. So sceptics might say “poor service in a new ground is no different to poor service in an old one!”

However most of the above I agree with you on. So I’ll give you a little “thanks” to make you feel better.

garry horton
    Participant
    Topics: 6
    Replies: 203

I’ve lived near the railway line for 25 years and it’s never been a problem..

Ferrite
    Participant
    Topics: 170
    Replies: 2315

We didn’t need a refurbishment to get the basics of catering, merchandising, open days, fans forums etc right. So sceptics might say “poor service in a new ground is no different to poor service in an old one!”

I’ve often had similar thoughts – why couldn’t some of the basics be improved in the interim? There are plenty of things which wouldn’t require significant investment and certainly wouldn’t involve throwing huge amounts of money at something the club was planning on demolishing just a little while later.

A lot of these would be easy to achieve and be great PR, helping to get many fans onside.

Cliff Byrne’s Right Peg
    Participant

Mrf Swann said the apartments had no bearing on the Stadium plans in a recent podcast,ar you saying he’s a fibber/

Nope, now confirmed by Mr chairman himself.

alcazar
    Participant
    Topics: 153
    Replies: 4049

Listen to what he says… then watch what he DOES!

Iron-awe
    Participant
    Topics: 10
    Replies: 3869

Listen to what he says… then watch what he DOES!

Sounds like a politician Alcy!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.