Registered On:
    Topics: 100

How young is Young?

U18 / U17 / U16 ?

ironfromafarironfromafar
    Participant
    Registered On: October 10, 2021
    Topics: 19

Total DISGRACE .. WTF is Hill thinking of ?? selection was awful and i cant think of any player worth a half decent mention fookin rubbish ..put us out of our misery .. relegation confirmed n then see how it goes .. im betting on admin so then at least we cant get any lower..can we ??

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Bartoniron66Bartoniron66
    Participant
    Registered On: May 29, 2017
    Topics: 56

Thought he was a good appointment but he his totally lost and has the worse record of any manager in the country by a very long way, yes the players are not best we have ever had but surely experienced players should be playing.

4 users thanked author for this post.
    BottesfordIrons5North Lincolnshire Irons
    Participant
    Registered On: September 30, 2017
    Topics: 58

After the last couple of matches I have been swayed to thinking its time Keith Hill went and after listening to his after match interview today I am even more sure of that now. He says the fans will be feeling disappointed with our present position, DISAPPOINTED comes nowhere near to how our supporters are feeling, particularly those of us who have supported the club over the last sixty years or so. He comes on the radio saying he has a plan, well with his team selections match after match his plan looks like set to lose. Every match we are playing worse than the match before. He said he has a good relationship with the SWANNS Well its time in my opinion that both HILL AND THE SWANNS LEFT OUR CLUB!!!!!

2 users thanked author for this post.
    cassidystashcassidystash
    Participant
    Registered On: January 4, 2014
    Topics: 104

Will any of our youngsters be good enough for the NL next season? Not sure, none of them have particularly excited me so far but that’s understandable given the circumstances.
    Are any of them ready for L2 now? Nowhere near. Don’t destroy them before they’ve made a start to their careers Keith.

lesgeolesgeo
    Participant
    Registered On: December 25, 2013
    Topics: 96

Criticising team selection when we are effectively relegated? Why?
    This is precisely what I suggested KH should do a week or two ago.

We played the right team, IMHO, packed with the young and inexperienced.
    The only experienced player who had any sort of a decent game was a CB who doesn’t even belong to us!
    Grant and Feeney – legs gone?
    Grant oozes class but was off the pace today and Feeney at WB was moderate.

Shan’t even mention GK.

Our better performances came from younger players.

Not winning was of no consequence whatsoever. Blood youngsters and teach ’em what professional sport is really like!
    If getting thumped by four on debut or whatever else gives them an attack of the vapours or brings them to tears – they ain’t gonna make it anyway.

What is the point in playing Bunn? – Ah. Yes. Of course. His goal tally for us!
    We should be encouraging Hallam to leave.
    Thompson is OOC, I think. Beestin has never done more than show promise but not carry onwards towards reliability. There has to be as much clearing out as possible.
    The exceptions are the youngsters who are doing well. With, say, two in the side next season and several on the bench – we should have terrific backup for an all new first team.

A year ago, I wrote that the secret to survival was League Two experience. Well. We got precious little of that and look what has happened.

It was obvious that this is what Hill had in mind – the longer view.
    Correctly.

4 users thanked author for this post.
    BottesfordIrons5North Lincolnshire Irons
    Participant
    Registered On: September 30, 2017
    Topics: 58

The problem is though lesgeo how many youngsters will have to be played next season to field a team. Without investment in experienced players, not the ones Hill has just brought in may I add, we will not succeed in the National League. I agree you cannot field more than a couple of youngsters at one time and they will gain the experience from playing alongside the older experienced players. Until we see a new owner coming in we cannot say what the future holds for our Club. Half decent experienced players will not come to Scunthorpe for peanuts so we need investment from new owners.

AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant
    Registered On: June 20, 2017
    Topics: 160

I’ve no qualms with blooding the youngsters, if Hill came out and said that this is the master plan him and swanny have agreed on, we could all understand what the f is going on but at the moment he just looks like he’s clutching at straws hoping something works to get a result, more by luck than judgement. He’s supposed to manage.

mkironMK Iron
    Participant
    Registered On: December 23, 2013
    Topics: 46

Only 3 things brought a smile to my face on another sad day at the Sunken Sands.

Moore-Billam taking the ball forward and trying to make something happen – well done young man. Looks like there is a footballer in there.

The tennis balls – well done the Donny Road end for doing something that required a bit of planning and effort.

The time it took to repair the goal net. “You don’t know what you’re doing” sang the Mansfield fans. There are quite a few at the Sunken Sands that applies to. The main one being our absentee landlord.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    Registered On:

20 kids (1st & 2nd & 3rd year ‘pros’) on £300 a week equals a weekly wage bill of £6,000.

1500 fans paying £15 a ticket equals £22,500 a week.

Top up with YT kids from the juniors and you’ve a cheap as chips squad.

A bit of sponsorship money, EFL money and a few shekels TV money – and we’re rolling in it.

NorthumbironNorthumbiron
    Registered On: January 3, 2014
    Topics: 66

Cribb and Beestin both scored on Tuesday.

We don’t want any of that nonsense in a league game do we?

3 users thanked author for this post.
    premierironpremier iron
    Participant
    Registered On: October 6, 2014
    Topics: 28

How much did Swann give him to spend,obviously not enough Most of them not good enough

Bartoniron66Bartoniron66
    Participant
    Topics: 56

The heart has been been ripped out of a once proud and reasonably successful club by the set up that is running the club, someone mentioned what is this doing to younger players.

In my opinion it is scarring them and knocking the confidence out of them before they have even started their career, surely bunn, Taft, Perry and the other experienced players should be standing up to be counted.

I have not really gone full on blaming the players but a lot of them are wage thieves! Players like Chris cowling, vinnie grimes, Les Hunter and many others had so much heart and gave everything for this club this lot are spineless and shouldn’t be allowed to set foot in GP again

It breaks me to see this happening but I can’t and won’t watch this bunch of wasters take the piss out of the club and badge any more so that’s me done until I see a massive change in the attitude of the players

5 users thanked author for this post.
    Iron-aweIron-awe
    Participant
    Registered On: June 21, 2017
    Topics: 11

Cribb and Beestin both scored on Tuesday.

We don’t want any of that nonsense in a league game do we?

Cribb not in the squad so I’m guessing an injury or illness ruled him out hence Shrimptons recall from loan. Beestin can’t last 90 minutes anyway and if his long term fitness can’t be addressed he could be gone this summer. A shame but the days of passengers in next season’s squad must be sorted before a ball is kicked in August.

SharpShooter24Sharp_Shooter24
    Participant
    Registered On: April 24, 2014
    Topics: 77

If Keith honestly thinks this ‘honest’ group of youngsters can do a job in the national league then we are royally fuc**d!!!

A great attempt at a positive spin Keith but these lads are showing they are NOT GOOD ENOUGH every single week!! It’s just embarrassing for us all

The level below is pretty much on par with this one!!
    And our lads are absolutely SH*T at this level!!!

So, as Peter asked us to…… let’s all buy our season tickets so we can watch ‘a Scunny team’ get absolutely smashed by Bromley, Kings Lynn and Woking

As for Keith Hill… he’s just the next Robins, Hurst, Alexander

JackieJackie
    Participant
    Topics: 3

My biggest gripe about Keith Hill is that he has more or less given the players a license to lose every game, he has no expectation that they will try to win a game or put the opposition under any pressure.
    I know that you can’t make a silk purse out of a sow’s ear but there should be some sort of game plan or system that the team understand and buy into.
    My impression is that with about 15 games of the season still to go Hill gave up and started talking about planning for the new season ‘in whatever league we are in’, there didn’t seem to be any fight or desire to keep us up.
    Remember Greece winning the Euros – no star players and on paper one of the weakest teams but there was a plan, everyone knew what was expected of them and they did the basics well, their manager had an expectation that the players would trust in his plan and all play their part. Our manager has no expectation of our players and guess what, they deliver just what he asks them to – nothing. When your manager makes no demands on you and says it’s not a problem if you fail it’s very easy to drift along – Hill seems to have given the okay to just drift out of the league – it’s very sad for anyone connected with Scunthorpe United.

KEEP BELIEVINGKEEP BELIEVING
    Participant
    Registered On: January 23, 2022

ITS ALL DOWN HILL. All football managers know that football is a results business. Keith Hill took the job knowing full well what he was getting himself into. Now that he has failed to deliver why do some people jump to his defence saying that he has had no decent players to manage. Hill is the one who sold us the merits of the players he brought in to supposedly save the day As always we gave these players the benefit of doubt. Never did we think they were going to be world beaters but we lived in hope they were going to make us better than Barrow ,Carlisle ,Stevenage ,Oldham & Colchester. Now that the lads have not performed Hill has changed his tune & is now saying individually & collectively we are not good enough. The fact is I cannot stand seeing his laid back managerial attitude on the sidelines. He doesnt want to give the players a bollocking because it might destroy the confidence of the players. Clearly the arm around the shoulder approach is not having an effect. I have seen Sunday League teams better organised. Keith, football is supposed to be an entertainment ” Wake up & smell the roses ” What you are giving the paying fans is plain shite” A 7% win rate tells you so. Its clear to see that Hill, Peter Swan & Will Swann have made a right horlicks of recruitment. Do I really believe SUFC will be a force to be reckoned with next year. Not a cat in hells chance. Even LT didnt inspire confidence by saying that Will Swann & Hill will sort next years recruitment out with input from him if he is asked. Hill has shown us 2 wins in 28 games. Once upon a time watching Scunthorpe was a joy now the only excitement is when we get over the half way line.
    I am sick of Keith Hills pre match & post match psycho babble always tinged with positive spin. I am also sick of individual players coming out with the cliche ” We need to look long & hard at ourselves” yet there is no change. I hope that when & IF new owners are found they have a complete clear out & start from scratch. Something is seriously wrong with the club but nobody will speak out. Everyone wants to be pals. Look where that has led. Lets have some honesty. The players who are not good enough need to be told & moved out. The manager needs to be told he is not good enough & shipped out. But I suppose if that happens we wont get to see Keiths secret plan. It must be Top Secret because nobody knows what it is. Just like our football style ” Make it up as you go along”
    Here we are dropping out of the football league & what is being done on & off the pitch to encourage fans to return next year. NOTHING !! Its sad to think that I will be one of the Scunny 1000 faithful next year. But on a positive note I might be able to get a pie before the game starts.

7 users thanked author for this post.
    ironkingironking
    Participant
    Registered On: October 8, 2014
    Topics: 71

The team has got worse game by game, there is absolutely no structure to our game or a game plan.

During yesterday’s debacle I cannot think back to us even having a shot! The Mansfield keeper’s only contribution was getting out of the way of marauding youngsters and tennis balls.

The team is clueless and there seems to be no pride, passion or effort. That is down to the manager.

I thought Cox was terrible, but Hillock has surpassed him. And whichever Goon decided to sell Loft and buy Nutella ought to barbecue their left arm whilst boiling the right one in a pan of water along with their head!

5 users thanked author for this post.
    lesgeolesgeo
    Participant

There was real heart from the young uns.
    They ran their sox off. To say otherwise is simply wrong.

In the NL – of course that group would get minced. That isn’t the point. Whatever happens. we’ll not be putting out a team of total inexperience week in, week out.
    Maybe the experience we bring in will not be as good as we’d want but at least it will bring in a structure. Anybody recall those heady days when we started a season with a balanced squad?

We are squad with: no pace; little generalship; defenders who hang around the penalty spot when runners are coming into the box; zero goal-scorers.

The response of many – blame the kids and a proven manager. Bizarre!

Those who pillory Hill should save their bile until we have seen what a real manager can do with our squad. Like it or no, Hill is a real manager. Where the blazes are we going to find better? Give the guy a chance!

Too many sackings of managers already. Let’s not make the pain worse going that route again.

ironkingironking
    Participant
    Registered On: October 8, 2014
    Topics: 71

Sorry Geoles we were utter shite and have now become utter shitter, constantly play the ball back, wont go forward, cannot do the basics, have no guile, no nous, no pride, no passion, no structure, no ability, no shots, no corners, no leadership, no management and Hillock is seemingly in the happy clappy gang.

You cannot polish a turd, as Ernest Pawn has shown us. Out with the Hillock.

Please don’t join the debate if you do not suffer each week as we the loyal long suffering do!

Anonymous
    Inactive
    Registered On:

How young is Young?

U18 / U17 / U16 ?

The boy Ethan Young?

Iron-aweIron-awe
    Participant
    Registered On: June 21, 2017
    Topics: 11

Think your wasting your time les, lot on here have got blah blah blah syndrome and it ain’t changing anytime soon. Hill should stay.

lesgeolesgeo
    Participant

Yes, IK. Spectating was as bad as you say but commentator Tom explained that:
    Mansfield are a good team; with money spent on it; time put into the development; a plan – and their players were two divisions better than ours. ALL true. Maybe you disagree with him.
    (What’s more, when your GK/player of the season has regressed two years …)

All that we could hope to get out of that match was: experience for the young lads; pointers as to which of the young ones will/won’t get contracts; extended time on the pitch rather than 11 minutes at the end of a game when the match is already decided; genuine info for the management team to assess how assorted players respond etc.
    The only thing that matters now is next season.

Yesterday’s game was all about the bigger picture. For one thing, the manager needs to know precisely what kind of players to spend his halfpennies on.
    He needs to continue exactly as he is doing for the final few games. Results are totally irrelevant.

I didn’t watch that game expecting to be entertained (that’s something I gave up on a long time ago) – I tried to watch it through a manager’s eyes as he works out where he most needs to strengthen.

A dozen players may come in. Some will fail as they always do, but, if knowing his squad fully means that it’s two out of 12 who do so rather than four or five – it’s a different sort of win.

If your doorbell is wonky you don’t repair it with a hammer.

mkironMK Iron
    Participant
    Topics: 46

I think the front door is ripped off it’s hinges Les.

lesgeolesgeo
    Participant

Again though, MK, a sledgehammer may not be the tool of choice to fix it.

If – and I know it’s a big IF – this club is ever allowed to move forwards again (new owners?) it is highly improbable that we’ll have any success of note in one or two seasons of rebuilding.
    Tom Newey spoke of the need ‘to flatten’ out. I get that.

AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant
    Registered On: June 20, 2017
    Topics: 160

No we won’t be putting a team without experience next year we’ve blooded the young ones here and the ones we’ve put out to loan, expect Tyrone O’Neal to be leading the line next year, youth is the master plan.

rightfootofameobirightfootofameobi
    Participant
    Registered On: October 17, 2021
    Topics: 2

Lesgeo,
    I can see the logic of what you suggest re: blooding of young players etc. with a view to evaluating for the future but if as you suggest “The only thing that matters now is next season” then can you explain the selection of Hackney in the starting X1? Where’s the thinking for next season in that? Would we not benefit from giving Wilson some game time on the right, even given the apparent restrictions re: players frozen out, of those still in favour Feeney could have played a more central role couldn’t he? Hackney, Matheson & Pyke should not be considered for selection going forwards, they offer very little in the immediate and nothing going forwards.

NorthumbironNorthumbiron
    Registered On: January 3, 2014
    Topics: 66

Watched a few National League North games this season, and I’m afraid that most teams I have seen have considerably more idea than a Cox/Hill outfit.

There are a lot of tough old battlers out there. A lot of hard men in key positions and a good few youngsters with attitude.

We are in for a rude awakening unless we have a wholesale clear out and savvy recruitment.

Not holding my breath!

KEEP BELIEVINGKEEP BELIEVING
    Participant
    Registered On: January 23, 2022

To all of the ‘ Give Hill a chance ‘ daydreamers. In the words of Burnsey ” Give your head a wobble”
    2 wins in 28 games. If you were crap at your job you would be asked to leave or be sacked. The new football season starts in 16 weeks time 30th July 2022. Our last game is 7th May. That means after the last last game there is 12 weeks to sort out the ownership of the club & ground. The assembly of a new team capable of getting us straight back into League 2 at the first time of asking. All under the watchful eye of Keith Hill. I can predict that early next season we will be hearing the words ” “Recruitment was difficult” ” The players haven’t had time to gel” ” Some of the lads are trying hard but are not up to speed” ” The team are trying hard but individual errors are costing us” I know they are an honest bunch” We are trying as best as we can to get this football team back to where it belongs” I’m confident we will get there. I’ve never been a quitter” Blah Blah Blah !
    Do all you ‘Hillocks’ realise how bad the situation is.

FerriteFerrite
    Participant
    Topics: 101

Grant and Feeney – legs gone?
    Grant oozes class but was off the pace today and Feeney at WB was moderate.

Two more wonderful signings the club has made.

On the flip side, whilst I’m all for investing in youth and bringing through our own players, I’m a bit uncomfortable with the number of them being thrown in to such a poor team in such a miserable environment. I hope we’re not ruining their careers before they’ve even started.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.