Home Forums The New Blast Furnace Good Question Gary!

cassidystash
    Participant
    Topics: 179
    Replies: 3736

Gary Neville has hit out at Scunthorpe United chairman Peter Swann’s suggestion of suspending player wages while fixtures are on hold due to the coronavirus pandemic.The former Manchester United star added:-

“Are his executive team getting paid?”

Deereyme66
    Participant
    Topics: 121
    Replies: 3836

Awaywego
    Participant
    Topics: 30
    Replies: 599

no need to make players redundant just use the governments furlough scheme, when i suggested this before i was really talking about the premiership, but if swanny and others need to do it so clubs survive then its a yes from me.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Iron-awe
    Participant
    Topics: 10
    Replies: 4166

Well the furlough scheme is up to a maximum of £2,500 per month. There are millions in this country living on considerably less then that amount each month, so with a change of lifestyle and a suspension of large mortgages, which I understand is an option too, everybody should be able to get by for a long time if need be. Just saying.

2 users thanked author for this post.

mistertonmick
    Participant
    Topics: 424
    Replies: 8388

trouble is Awaywego when Peter Swann makes players redundant he tends to let the better players go and keep the poorer ones.

cassidystash
    Participant

“keep the poorer ones.”

You mean ‘cheaper’ I think.

Greylag
    Participant
    Topics: 71
    Replies: 800

Will he be applying the same tactics in relation to the employees of his Blackpool developments?

scunnypete
    Participant
    Topics: 4
    Replies: 160

10 weeks on tuesday and the wage bill will be slashed massively unless somebody high up makes a decision. Lower league players are surely eligible for furlough unless its something to do with employment contracts (I don’t know the legality of it). The problem is all professional football player’s are getting dragged into the same category as premier league players.
    When it’s up and going again maybe the EFL will review their fit and proper tests. Banks will start acknowledging football clubs as business’ and treat them accordingly and not a toy that a person can dump with its debts when the going gets tough

Awaywego
    Participant

surely its mainly the managers decision on who they want to let go mick.

bartonscorpion
    Participant
    Topics: 143
    Replies: 2995

There are many workers that welcolme this furlough thing, they would rather be on the 80% salary than going to work for the bit extra.

A small percentage of footballers do not want to play for their existing club, we have a couple at Scunny, but it is ok by them to still get paid fully when the one’s that do give their all without getting more pay. Footballers have a very good contract system and if a club wants to offload any of them because they are not good enough, the club has to pay them the full length of their remaining contract, it’s the same with failed managers, they get bladdered for their team not getting results, but end up walking away with full payment of their contracts, so it is wrong for Neville to compare workers in other inductries to footballers.

Just look at the crying Premier League players, they are sobbing that some suggest a 20% drop in salry, these guys are on fantastic money, but they say they would defer payments if they get it back later, they are the one’s that should take a cut in wages for the money to go to League 1 & 2 players, but they are too bloody greedy for that suggestion.

Northumbiron
    Participant
    Topics: 248
    Replies: 10964

surely its mainly the managers decision on who they want to let go.

Yer reckon?

Awaywego
    Participant

yep from what posters on here have said about leaving our best players out of the team its quite clear the managers have been in charge (townsend, hammill, colclough,lund, van veen , to name a few.

alcazar
    Participant
    Topics: 171
    Replies: 4094

Aye.
    Right

cassidystash
    Participant

Paul Hurst would disagree!!

Pat O’Cake
    Participant
    Topics: 41
    Replies: 1729

I’m assuming that comment was tongue in cheek?

Northumbiron
    Participant
    Topics: 248
    Replies: 10964

Indeed.

Considering our last manager was allegedly sacked for daring to suggest such a thing I think “mainly” should be changed to “partially”!

mistertonmick
    Participant

do you think the manager would have wanted to sell Lund and Novak when you looked to see who was going to replace them.

Awaywego
    Participant

mick i think hurst was of accused of dropping lund over a fall out and certain people wernt going anymore while novack was in the team and alexander wanted rid of paddy, so i will say it was not swanny,though i knowswanny alone brought kvv back and thank god he did.

Iron-awe
    Participant
    Topics: 10
    Replies: 4166

Breaking News….. Awaywego’s space bar catches Coronavirus. 😮

mistertonmick
    Participant

It was denied Lund had a fallout with Hurst when he had a injury and the following game they hugged each other when he came off late in the game, Novak worked his socks off and Van Veen didn’t look as good after he left.

Daz Reevell
    Participant
    Topics: 11
    Replies: 204

I’m not sure exactly how the professional football players are contracted at their various football clubs, I was under the impression that most are contracted to the club through their own limited company? This is the exact same way I work in IT.

If that is the case, I suspect that like me, most football players will not be eligible for the furlough payment scheme.

Awaywego
    Participant

In that case daz it puts a different slant on it cheers.

Pat O’Cake
    Participant
    Topics: 41
    Replies: 1729

Not sure that can be right Daz, arnt players wages listed on the company accounts as just that – players wages?

scunnymatt88
    Participant
    Topics: 78
    Replies: 1670

Gary Neville has hit out at Scunthorpe United chairman Peter Swann’s suggestion of suspending player wages while fixtures are on hold due to the coronavirus pandemic.The former Manchester United star added:-

“Are his executive team getting paid?”

Gary is only saying what the majority think of swanny. Mr swann certainly likes to rub people up the wrong way… No wonder we arent going anywhere as a club. Its ok though we have the memories to look back on the clubs twitter everyday.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.