God

Iron Bru Forums Non Football God

• Author
    dandaherron@yahoo.co.ukJust Iron
    Participant
    Registered On: August 1, 2014
    Topics: 9

Two contributions that gave my morning a good start.
    1. Bills turn of phrase..’ a labyrinth of shotgun waffle.’ How good is that!
    2.Deerey’s thoughts straying to real ale and single malt. Very droll. Made me smile anyway.

billpuntonsghostbillpuntonsghost
    Participant
    Registered On: January 4, 2014
    Topics: 72

Not good enough to give it a thanks,though?

NorthumbironNorthumbiron
    Registered On: January 3, 2014
    Topics: 66

As I ended my working life lecturing on architectural history I could fill you in on the building of churches and cathedrals, but that’s a separate topic.

Suffice to say he who holds the money controls the architect.

The “cathedrals” of the 19th century were railway terminals. Nowadays it’s airports and sports stadia.

All depends on what/who are the current gods to be worshipped!

GurnelistaGurnelista
    Participant
    Registered On: April 2, 2014
    Topics: 13

Not forgetting the financial institutions – those temples to mammon around the City of London and elsewhere. Interesting topic – I didn’t know you were a closet historian of the built environment, NI!

As for ‘being keen’ on religion, most folk don’t give a fig if some want to believe in virgin births, miracles, returning from the dead, or any number of impossible events, let alone the denial of dinosaurs and evolution!

The crux of it though is that too many so-called Christians have spent too much time sucking on the teet of Murdoch and co. that they’ve allowed their politics to overrule Christian compassion. They’ve allowed themselves to become closer to the far right than to their faith.

Their egos have taken over, and they’ve become more concerned with keeping up appearances than with sympathy and understanding. Even on social media, where they are unknown, faceless and anonymous, they feel obliged to defend the political right and oppose change, no matter what the cost to humanity.

An example? Look at the so-called “small boats” (note how the phrase removes any sense of wretchedly distressed humanity). Where’s the Christian compassion on here for those in such dire straits? This tragedy is largely ignored, or if it gets a mention at all, it’s usually in the context of Brexit, immigration, or “50,000 Turks are coming”, etc. etc. Yet, had Christ been on Dover beach, would he be turning back those boats? Would he be patrolling up and down with his Fisher-Price binoculars shouting ‘Go forth and multiply, we’re full up!’, Farage style? Yet, it’s people like Farage that most closely reflect the views and values of the plastic preachers on here.

And then there’s the support – tacit or otherwise – for Trump, Johnson, Brexit and the lies, and the hostility towards women’s rights, BLM, gays, refugees, or their silence on a multitude of crises from housing to inflation.

It doesn’t stop there. We are also regaled with videos from, for and by “Christian” nut-jobs, along with links to sites that make British Tories look like Marxists. Oh, and then there’s the pompous self-righteousness, and the ersatz humility, punctuated by puerile jokes, e.g. about Afro-Caribbean lesbians.

Religion? It’s is just a cover for their personal prejudice and bigotry. Shame on them all.

Participant

Even though you present your thoughts in a “labarynth of shotgun waffle” ( how good is that) ,Gurnelista,let’s start with evolution.
    In order to debate this,I send a video to echo my thoughts. If you seriously want to debate evolution,watch the video and give me your objections to the presentation..https://youtu.be/WwXcnxb61g4?si=Qi05Y2v8oCsfT10a

Participant

So I was right Gurney. You’re definitely less than enamoured of faith. ps How’s the work with Yemen and Sudan getting along?

HeathHeath
    Participant
    Registered On: August 5, 2017
    Topics: 17

To echo your thoughts? What exactly are your thoughts? Can they only be expressed by another person’s thoughts? Can you make your own videos?

2 users thanked author for this post.
    NorthumbironNorthumbiron

Spot on Heathy, and that is “faith” in a nutshell.

The believer has to take his/her thoughts from an external source, be it the Bible, Q’ran or YouTube videos.

Participant

“To echo your thoughts? What exactly are your thoughts? “
    My thoughts are in UNISON with the video. To write on here the same message would be impossible. That is why the video is there to easily understand my position.

Participant

When you watch the video,knowing it echos my thoughts,feel free to put your points to me ,either agreeing or disagreeing.

Participant

HeathHeath
    Participant

NO. If you are too lazy or incapable of contributing your own thoughts on a forum, then I am too busy to watch your videos. If I want to find something online about a topic or a view, search engines provide a better service than you ever can.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Iron-aweIron-awe
    Participant
    Registered On: June 21, 2017
    Topics: 11

bill has morphed into alcy.

NorthumbironNorthumbiron

“To echo your thoughts? What exactly are your thoughts? “
    My thoughts are in UNISON with the video. To write on here the same message would be impossible.

Hope you not sitting any written exams in the near future!

2 users thanked author for this post.
    HeathHeath
    Participant

What will he do if God asks him a question at the pearly gates? Ask God if he has WiFi?

GurnelistaGurnelista
    Participant

It’s a pity he’s so reliant on the visual medium and coat-holding for others.

Re. his attempt at metaphor, two points…

1. A good metaphor carries an image of something ordinary, yet its impact is extra-ordinary because of its similarity to something more abstract. But, ‘shotgun waffle’? What’s that? And, a labyrinth is a maze, yet the post is a straight road. A 5 year old could follow it, yet Punton’s ghost evidently struggles – I blame all those videos. Oh, a ‘labyrinth of waffle’ is pretty much tautology, no?

2. It’s probably plagiarised. He has form for that.

So, it’s hardly the authorly equivalent of a ship in a bottle – JI’s lit crit seems to be on a par with religion.

HeathHeath
    Participant

And you can always rely on another right wing Tory MP, devoted Cristian of corse, and objector to same sex marriage to be suspended from Parliament for alleged sexual misconduct and bullying af a MALE employee.

And how did the Tory establishment deal with this? Ignore the allegations and promote him to be deputy leader of the House.

His Wikipedia page reads like a lifelong career of just about getting away with it.

Perfect case study from Gurny’s labyrinth!

Participant

Couldn’t resist referencing me , eh Gurney … although I didn’t understand it to be fair. Always happy to be ‘educated’ by you :)

SideriteSiderite
    Participant
    Registered On: December 12, 2014
    Topics: 78

Thank goodness we have bpg here to bring forward argument stmming from a book written 2000 years ago, which does not understand science as we know it today, to somehow argue against one of the most evidence supported scientific theories of our time.

Participant

You didn’t look at the video above! There is no point discussing anything with you until you see the modern evidence that destroys your worldview. Hopefully Just Iron watches it as well ( to agree with it)

Participant

…hopefully JustIron will throw his weight behind supporting the video?

SideriteSiderite
    Participant
    Registered On: December 12, 2014
    Topics: 78

You didn’t look at the video above! There is no point discussing anything with you until you see the modern evidence that destroys your worldview. Hopefully Just Iron watches it as well ( to agree with it)

I have read so much creationist crap I do not see the need. You act as if your library of videos are the only resources out there. There are plenty of books, journals, conference papers etc on evolution, plus the arguments made so many times by creationists which have always lacked evidence or explanation. Why waste time with what is almost certainly to be more of the same pap to engage with some pointless debate with you, when you’ve already made your mind up and are just looking to massage your ego?

NorthumbironNorthumbiron

We currently have the museum of the moon in Hexham Abbey. It’s a 6m diameter replica of the moon suspended above the crossing. Put together from NASA satellite images. Pretty spectacular!

We went there to a lecture given by photographer and astronomer Wil Cheung on the formation of the solar system and the moon.

As we went in we in we were given a leaflet on the Abbey which included a prayer: “Oh God who formed the moon and created all life on Earth……..”

The irony of attending a lecture on cosmology in a building erected by creationists was not lost on me.

PS Also went to see a Pink Floyd tribute band doing Dark Side beneath the instillation. That was pretty cool too!

Participant

…hopefully JustIron will throw his weight behind supporting the video?

In a horrific few weeks for me, friends and family re Armenia and now Israel it’s been a source of genuine sadness to me that you are still relentlessly looking to me to affirm and validate you, BPG. Not only on my personal number, which I deeply regret giving you, but also on this site you have no problem demanding responses that I am perfectly entitled not to give. To be clear I don’t enjoy debate by video clips but you are free to do as you please. If recent history is anything to go by my response will likely now result in outrage and a series of texts expressing your anger and disappointment. Please call a halt both to this public sniping here and the private texting. In many areas we see things differently and we certainly have a different approach. I believe that you are free to conduct yourself as you wish ..but the same acceptance has to be afforded to others.

Participant

Where did I demand a response? You are delusional.

TwoWrightsTwoWrights
    Participant
    Registered On: December 23, 2013
    Topics: 4

I’m suffering from insomnia, I might watch Bill’s video, then again laughing won’t cure insomnia.

GurnelistaGurnelista
    Participant

Too true, Two Wrights. And speaking of stadiums as contemporary cathedrals as NI was, for a tour around the chapels of the ‘football pools towns’ north of the border, see the god that is Meades….

Deereyme66Deereyme66
    Registered On: May 8, 2017
    Topics: 101

‘My thoughts are in UNISON’.

Excellent! The unions need all the support they can get

fans6464
    Registered On: February 14, 2015
    Topics: 444

Just Irons last post re the text messages is perhaps enough to suggest we need to be more careful regarding BPG , perhaps it’s best to not engage for his own good.Show a little compassion please

TwoWrightsTwoWrights
    Participant
    Registered On: December 23, 2013
    Topics: 4

Too true, Two Wrights. And speaking of stadiums as contemporary cathedrals as NI was, for a tour around the chapels of the ‘football pools towns’ north of the border, see the god that is Meades….

<iframe title=”3/3 Meades, Off Kilter – The Football Pools Towns, 2009″ src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/-mf4qmVklZg?feature=oembed&#8221; frameborder=”0″ allow=”accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share” allowfullscreen=”” id=”fitvid0″></iframe>

No cathedral but less dosh than you’ll find on a collection plate, twenty quid is top class value. Awaywego and his mob 17m-30s onwards? ;-)

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.