Goalkeeper a Priority

Iron Bru Forums Blast Furnace Goalkeeper a Priority

• Author
    BrianBrian
    Participant
    Registered On: May 29, 2017
    Topics: 1

Please Mr.Hill make it a priority to find a proper goalkeeper for next season if not we will be doomed once again.I have never in all my years seen a goalkeeper as bad.The only saves he makes are straight at him or the ones he can not get out the way off.It just shows how poor this team his when Watson will get the player of the season.Please Kieth get rid because he will not give any outfield player any confidence.

bartonscorpionbartonscorpion
    Participant
    Registered On: July 20, 2015
    Topics: 43

I think the club have many other problems apart from the keeper!!!

Probably starting with the Chairman, and working through the playing squad, but as you point out, how the hell has Mussa kept his coaching job for so long????

3 users thanked author for this post.
    SamsmithSmudger
    Participant
    Registered On: August 10, 2014
    Topics: 5

Watson is absolutely shocking

1 user thanked author for this post.
    cliffbyrnesrightpegCliff Byrne’s Right Peg
    Participant
    Registered On: October 17, 2015
    Topics: 57

Respectfully disagree.

Not going to start jumping on the lad because he’s had 2 bad games- and they have been poor.

He’s dramatically improved all areas of his game this year; seen rubbish being wrote that his doesn’t command his area; 90% of of this season he has commanded it well. Some of the saves have been fantastic and he’s almost single handedly kept us in games- Newport at home being an example.

He’s the only one who done the shirt proud this year, and the only one I’ll bother clapping off come the end of the season.

10 users thanked author for this post.
    apbeapb
    Participant
    Registered On: December 24, 2013
    Topics: 0

Yes – to single him out the criticism is a bit harsh.

He hasn’t been perfect this season but he’s done more than most to contribute to our meagre points total.

When you have to deal with the traffic that he’s had to this season the odd error is inevitable.

He has commanded his box significantly better this season – more out of desperation than anything I think – because he’s realised that his best chance is just to come for everything because defensively we’re so fragile.

BrianBrian
    Participant
    Registered On: May 29, 2017
    Topics: 1

Cliff Byrne’s Right Peg you’re having a laugh.Even Cliff Byrne would have made a better keeper than Rory Watson.Only improvement i have seen is that he’s not kicking the goalposts or not blaming the players infront of him as much after we have conceded a goal through his incompetence.

backofthenet18backofthenet18
    Participant
    Registered On: June 2, 2017
    Topics: 14

Someone’s had too much sun

mkironMK Iron
    Participant
    Registered On: December 23, 2013
    Topics: 46

He had a poor game today. He was nearly as bad as the other ten.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    adminSST
    Keymaster
    Registered On: December 19, 2013
    Topics: 82

He’s improved, but it was an awfully low bar.
    I’d be amazed if another League team take a punt.

cassidystashcassidystash
    Participant
    Registered On: January 4, 2014
    Topics: 104

Improved massively this season but currently playing as though his confidence is shot to pieces. Understandable given the performance of the defence in front of him I suppose.

4 users thanked author for this post.
    NorthumbironNorthumbiron
    Registered On: January 3, 2014
    Topics: 66

I’d say getting someone who can put the ball in the back of the net is the priority.

That’s what fans come to watch!

AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant
    Registered On: June 20, 2017
    Topics: 160

Rory 9 wins in 71 games in div2 During the same seasons all other goalies who played for us, 18 wins in 51 games. Time to go Rory.

SteveJobsworthSteveJobsworth
    Participant
    Registered On: December 29, 2013
    Topics: 22

97 appearances
    13 wins
    11 clean sheets
    176 goals conceded

That’s horrendous, time for a new keeper.

UTI

Everytime refereePat O’Cake
    Participant
    Registered On: December 27, 2013
    Topics: 17

Utter clowns on here blaming Rory, for 2 poor games!!!! Jesus what about the fact we have had more red cards than goals scored by ANY of our so called strikers??????

If it were not for Rory then our goals against column would be a hell of a lot worse than it is! He’s been playing behind 10 piles of utter shite for at least two years, i’m surprised the lad still has the heart to turn up every week, it must be depressing knowing you are going out to be used for shooting practise for the opposition every week1

forever ironforever iron
    Participant
    Topics: 5

Rory Watson has been the one shining light this season game after game he has been the best player on the pitch. If the people in front of him did there job he wouldn’t need to be so busy. You must have missed all his good games and whose name does the fans chant every game.

mistertonmickmistertonmick
    Participant
    Topics: 106

he has been a big improvement this season but he had a shocker on Saturday, but wasn’t on his own.

lesgeolesgeo
    Participant
    Registered On: December 25, 2013
    Topics: 96

The less work to do a GK has – the fewer goals will be conceded over a season.
    Without even a trace of exaggeration, Rory must have had three times the work to do of any typical mid-table GK.

FerriteFerrite
    Participant
    Topics: 101

I cannot believe anyone could watch the current Scunthorpe side and think that the goalkeeper is the priority position for a replacement.

AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant

There was one shinning light at Sutton and the useless bastard still came out without a cap.

FerriteFerrite
    Participant

Who had a light on their shin?

Iron-aweIron-awe
    Participant
    Registered On: June 21, 2017
    Topics: 11

Wasn’t ” The Shinning ” the Simpsons version of The Shining featuring groundskeeper Willie as the bad guy. 🤔😂

FerriteFerrite
    Participant

Wasn’t ” The Shinning ” the Simpsons version of The Shining featuring groundskeeper Willie as the bad guy. />

Good reference. “Quiet lad, do you wanna get sued?”

AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant

Just look what happens with a different goalie.

Iron-aweIron-awe
    Participant

Yes he was mentioned once in the report and easily collected a Gainsborough shot,never mentioned after that.I Presume, unlike Watson with the usual shit show defending in front of him against better and high league placed opposition, he had nowt to do, again unlike Watson who normally has to pull off several heroic saves during a game before being beaten in the end. Wonder how many Foster would have let in last Saturday against the leaders of league 2?, I guess if Hill had more faith in Foster over Watson he would play him in the first team, yeah?

AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant

Not sure about that one if Hill as no faith in Jarvis over the other Cross up front. And we won’t know if he keeps playing Rory.

Iron-aweIron-awe
    Participant

Guess that’s why Hill is a manager and we are just fans eh?

GurnelistaGurnelista
    Participant
    Registered On: April 2, 2014
    Topics: 13

True, IA, it’s been hard for Rory but I’m still not convinced about him. For me, he’s let in a lot of goals he should have saved, he doesn’t seem to martial his defence well, and his carelessness over not bringing a cap to the match at Sutton showed inexperience, too.

Like the rest of the team, the lad’s confidence is probably shot. The atmosphere here must be toxic after years of decline, and anyone staying on next season will carry that burden with them. Most are best away, for their own good – or it’ll feel like post-war Ukraine!

A total clear-out of the first team, and a fresh start with new manager and players, is what’s needed.

Starting with the keeper. Why? Because at nil-nil, you start the game with a point, so if you can avoid conceding, you’ll finish it with a point, too. OK, it’s stating the obvious, but the keeper is number one for a reason. A good keeper will also martial the back line, and give them confidence. Look at the keepers we’ve had here in recent years and the effect it’s had on the outfield.

It’s always easier to stop goals than score them, so, after the keeper, build the defence, particularly with good centre-back(s). Why? Because it’s another key position covering a vulnerable area – in the middle.

Just check the current league table. You don’t need to score lots of goals to be high up, but you DO need to be tight at the back. Northampton (4th) have only scored 7 more goals than Oldham. But, guess why Oldham are struggling… So, if you have the those positions well covered on a regular basis, plus a half-decent midfield and forwards, you should be on your way to 55 points a season. When was the last time we had that?

AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant

But as a fan I can see Hill isn’t doing a very good job. Does anyone think they couldn’t have done any better than Hill?

Iron-aweIron-awe
    Participant

Your entitled to your opinion Gurny, however I respectfully disagree.

Iron-aweIron-awe
    Participant

But as a fan I can see Hill isn’t doing a very good job. Does anyone think they couldn’t have done any better than Hill?

As a fan you can think what you like but in the real world it means Jack shit.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.