Football by spreadsheet

Iron Bru Forums Blast Furnace Football by spreadsheet

• Author
    fans6464
    Registered On: February 14, 2015
    Topics: 444

I hope I misinterpreted what I heard but it seems pretty much like our player/game management is being controlled by Microsoft Excel.That would explain the bizarre substitute fest on Saturday as I couldn’t think of any other reason he went sub crazy at 1-0

Square Ball BullimoreSquare Ball Bullimore
    Participant
    Registered On: December 24, 2013
    Topics: 5

Always best to make subs around the 70 minute mark so the stats suggest. Jimmy might be trying it out on football manager with other ex players who fancy themselves a bit

AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant
    Registered On: June 20, 2017
    Topics: 160

Just bullshit from Turnbull to protect the managers mistake as it turned out to be.
    If they want to go down that route and the computer says ‘No’ to a player then don’t play him at all and give him a rest.
    Bad subs from Butler and not needed but that was ‘His’ choice and needs to carry on that way, its all part of football, overall he’s making a better job of using is subs than Southgate did, 92nd minute and bringing Toney on ‘inspired’ no just plain lucky.
    Imagine never being able to criticize a substitution again. Why play at all let the computer decide the results, maybe not a bad idea there’s no way Tamworth would have won the league and if the computer didn’t let us win last season then I’m sure it would this season.

fans6464
    Registered On: February 14, 2015
    Topics: 444

You sure it’s not Michelle”s fault?

PhilAndersPhilAnders
    Participant
    Registered On: July 10, 2017

Catapult was the software mentioned and if you Google it there is a full explanation on their website. It’s a tool really, and as my son in law who is an F&C coach for a London club says “during a game it tells you who is hanging out their arse before you, they or the arse is aware of it”. My reply, based on 60 years of watching sport , was “I think you’ll find that your regular supporters can tell you that before the AI, based of the evidence of what they are watching!

2 users thanked author for this post.
    AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant

Glad we’ve got so much money to afford all the gear and memberships.

cliffbyrnesrightpegCliff Byrne’s Right Peg
    Participant
    Registered On: October 17, 2015
    Topics: 57

Might be because I don’t fully understand it but I’m still not convinced data is as influential as somebody with a footballing brain.

XG is the biggest load of b*llocks going and the times it tends to be used is mainly by social media ‘influencers’ or pundits trying to give an edgy insight.

Deereyme66Deereyme66
    Registered On: May 8, 2017
    Topics: 101

Surely it’s not a bad thing if it’s used as a tool rather than an instruction or edict? I assume the former is how it’s being used by AB and the coaching team?

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Iron-aweIron-awe
    Participant
    Registered On: June 21, 2017
    Topics: 11

With a small but very fit squad it seems sensible to use all means available to detect when a playing is fatigued to the point that the next step might be injury unless replaced. Might be only a couple of minutes before the player would have been replaced anyway but things can go undetected visually on a field when so much is going on during a game so I can’t see a problem with it TBH, it’s an aid to assist decision making that’s all.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    IronageIron Age
    Participant
    Registered On: April 10, 2019
    Topics: 55

For anyone watching rugby union you’ll notice that the entire front row is replaced, even when the team is playing well. It’s called managing the game and the players.
    In that way rugby is ahead of football.

PhilAndersPhilAnders
    Participant
    Registered On: July 10, 2017

Yes and no about rugby. If you remember the WCF a couple of years back England’s front row were more than matching the South African “bomb squad” until Marler, Coles and George were replaced. The subs couldn’t step up to the plate and England were defeate.

IronageIron Age
    Participant

Ah, but the South African “bomb squad” were a replacement for the starting lineup.

Deereyme66Deereyme66
    Registered On: May 8, 2017

The proof will be in the pudding. Club can’t afford to have so many players crocked as in recent years. Come season end, if we are markedly down on injuries than before and AB has found a way to balance the GPS advice with sensible substitutions, what’s not to like? If promotion also happens, there really can’t be any complaints IMO. People would complain if we were behind the times, not using tech to our advantage and facing a multiple injury list resulting in players being labelled ‘wage thieves’ and necessitating more loans.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant

Why would people complain we’re in Nln not the premier league.
    Well we’ve got it now cost and all just hope it works for us, would be nice now they’ve announced there using it for Butler in his after match interviews tell us which subs he changed because of the data.

Iron-aweIron-awe
    Participant
    Registered On: June 21, 2017
    Topics: 11

Aye if AB says a couple of players were subbed because of data stats no doubt some smart arse will come on here and say that’s rubbish the guys were playing brilliant. Not that you’d do that eh Awaywego?

PaulSanfran49
    Participant
    Registered On: December 23, 2013
    Topics: 70

Does this system show the player who runs about a lot but doesn’t quite get where he should be ? !

lesgeolesgeo
    Participant
    Registered On: December 25, 2013
    Topics: 96

Ah.

IronageIron Age
    Participant

Does this system show the player who runs about a lot but doesn’t quite get where he should be ? !

I think it probably does.
    In fact there’s no hiding place.

IronageIron Age
    Participant
    AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant

No point in using the system if your not going to take notice of it well at least 90%+ of the time the manager must have leeway though, everyone will just have to except it whether a players playing brilliant or not if its puting him at risk of injury or overload.
    If after the Chorley game Butler said the data said Danny was fatigued ill back him all the way, if not we have a talking point and we will all have different opinions on the rights or wrongs not that it matters because it’s Butler’s decision but we must be able debate his decisions.
    Twas them that told us not the others way round so yes let us know when they’ve used it for a sub.

FerriteFerrite
    Participant

For anyone watching rugby union you’ll notice that the entire front row is replaced, even when the team is playing well. It’s called managing the game and the players.
    In that way rugby is ahead of football.

Counterpoint: it’s an example of how bad a sport rugby is that it allows some game-changing tactics because the laws of the game haven’t kept pace with the professional changes in the sport. See also: scrums constantly collapsing.

I hope I misinterpreted what I heard but it seems pretty much like our player/game management is being controlled by Microsoft Excel.That would explain the bizarre substitute fest on Saturday as I couldn’t think of any other reason he went sub crazy at 1-0

It’s ok, you misinterpreted it.

cassidystashcassidystash
    Participant
    Registered On: January 4, 2014
    Topics: 104

Is Wayne Graves still playing?

1 user thanked author for this post.
    FerriteFerrite
    Participant

Is Wayne Graves still playing?

The perfect example.

lesgeolesgeo
    Participant
    Registered On: December 25, 2013
    Topics: 96

He’s mid 40s. No.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.