First to jump ship

Iron Bru Forums Blast Furnace First to jump ship

• Author
    SideriteSiderite
    Participant
    Registered On: December 12, 2014
    Topics: 78

It appears unavoidable, but we don’t know the full story. While fans are allowed to moan, the amount of backlash about this seems way OTT. At worst, it’s a poor error of judgement and pales to the concerns over what was going on under Hilton. Heck, we had Taft (and highly likely others) being shafted over wages and some justifying it because he had a holiday or ‘didn’t try hard enough in games’. Seems a lot more worthy to moan about than a contract negotiation not suiting Butterfield..

3 users thanked author for this post.
    Deereyme66Deereyme66
    Registered On: May 8, 2017
    Topics: 101

I said we don’t know what he was on under Hilton 414. I’m not assuming anything. Though a lot of people seem to be assuming the key details of Butterfield’s wife post to be gospel.

Deereyme66Deereyme66

‘I don’t think it’s unreasonable for us to question some decisions that are made by management rather than just ‘happy clap’. After all isn’t that what some members of this forum criticised the ‘Hilton lovers’ for doing?’

It’s not wrong to question at all, when there’s something really worth questioning and making such a big deal about. You’re a bit wrong about ‘happy clappers’ and the Hilton era btw. That was mainly alluding to the Swann era. The worst Hilton supporters were deluded and abusive, as I’m sure you know. There’s not much comparison and no reason to use it as an opportunity to call out members of this forum. How do you reckon the Iron Hour guys fared btw?

Dubai fanDubai fan
    Participant
    Registered On: January 21, 2022
    Topics: 0

How about a supporters Gofund for the wages of Butterfield to keep him at Scunny ?? We raised 70k last time

Deereyme66Deereyme66

Yeah, start it up. Any surplus we can give to Dave to help him day to day.

cassidystashcassidystash
    Participant
    Registered On: January 4, 2014
    Topics: 104

How about a supporters Gofund for the wages of Butterfield to keep him at Scunny ?? We raised 70k last time

Sadly you’re missing a key fact – he doesn’t fit into Andy’s plans.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    fans6464
    Registered On: February 14, 2015
    Topics: 444

Another two important players gone. Butterfield in particular is irreplaceable at this level. Should have made it number one priority to keep him. His individual moments of brilliance are something we won’t see again for a long time at Glanford Park.

Is this your 1st ever season as a fan? We’ve replaced better than anyone we’ll lose this closed season in many seasons of my following the Iron

fans6464

Gofundme to a guy who drives a huge newish Beemer ? No chance
    ,Key fact? you need proof for it to be considered fact

fans6464

We don’t need to be down the club have an income of a mid table division 2 team, sure it wont be long before we have some incoming players, personally I hope non of the players offered contracts sign they weren’t up to it last season why should they be this, needed that new manager after the darlo game instead of shocking him at the end of the season he was always going have to play catch up after his appointment, it is what it is and we’ll just have to roll with it im afraid.

you know what the club’s income and that of Mid table league two teams is?

fans6464

I’m not going to blame Butler at all. Just the head of football operations and Michelle in this case but like someone said we should give some slack in her case being her first time at the rough end.

That’ll Be George Aitkinhead and Ian Sharpe, you can’t even get your facts right

AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant
    Registered On: June 20, 2017
    Topics: 160

Club website says Turnbull is head of football operations. And Michelle is the owner the buck stops with her.

lesgeolesgeo
    Participant
    Registered On: December 25, 2013
    Topics: 96

I’ve kept quiet.
    I am totally unsure what has happened and can’t believe that many contributors know any better.
    Speculation is one thing – but there’s been rather too much blame floating about based on too little certainty.
    How do people manage to take sides so easily?

4 users thanked author for this post.
    Iron-aweIron-awe
    Participant
    Registered On: June 21, 2017
    Topics: 11

Speculation is one thing – but there’s been rather too much blame floating about based on too little certainty.
    How do people manage to take sides so easily?

Because a lot of them are full of sh**.

dandaherron@yahoo.co.ukJust Iron
    Participant
    Registered On: August 1, 2014
    Topics: 9

Probably nowt better to do. That’s about it. Mixed with a little bit of insensitivity and lack of appreciation or forgetfulness about what we’ve just gone through.

NorthumbironNorthumbiron
    Registered On: January 3, 2014
    Topics: 66

When you’re used to dining at Michelin Star restaurants it’s difficult to go into Pizza Hut!

Apollo11Apollo11
    Participant
    Registered On: September 21, 2023
    Topics: 37

We only really have this bit of information out in the public domain because it is what Butterfield’s wife said. It’s her interpretation of the situation rather than absolute fact.

Deereyme66Deereyme66

It’s a shame as many supporters weren’t making as many noises about Hilton until it was almost too late.

cassidystashcassidystash
    Participant
    Registered On: January 4, 2014
    Topics: 104

Yes, fair enough, but has she any reason to post other than the truth. For the avoidance of any doubt, I’m not intending to be critical of the club, my intention was solely to express my disappointment at losing one of the best footballers we’ve had for some years. (IMO)

FerriteFerrite
    Participant
    Registered On: December 23, 2013

We only really have this bit of information out in the public domain because it is what Butterfield’s wife said. It’s her interpretation of the situation rather than absolute fact.

And it isn’t really backed up by the fact that a contract *was* offered.

Deereyme66Deereyme66

When you’re used to dining at Michelin Star restaurants it’s difficult to go into Pizza Hut!

No going back once you’ve been given a free Pat Burger.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Iron-aweIron-awe
    Participant
    Registered On: June 21, 2017
    Topics: 11

Always find it strange why a person or spouse of a person would discuss actual details of their renumeration even down to a percentage cut basis. That would only, as it has here, lead to speculation based on no actual evidence to what Butterfield had been earning and what he could have lost by signing a new deal. Better just to say a new contract could not be agreed between both parties and they are going their separate ways. Don’t think Mrs Butterfield will be on social media discussing how much more her husband will be earning at his new club but you never know. Very strange behaviour IMO.

AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant
    Registered On: June 20, 2017
    Topics: 160

She was just pissed off just like my wife would be.
    Anyone would think shes not allowed to be.

Better to say they had gone there separate ways for the club maybe.

Did Michelle say the club and Hilton had gone there separate ways and leave it at that, no of course she didn’t and you wouldn’t have wanted it any other way.

Iron414Iron414
    Participant
    Registered On: May 30, 2024
    Topics: 0

Think she was just giving some context to the situation. Otherwise I’m sure many fans (myself included) would have assumed that he was not willing to take a pay cut at all. Clearly he was and was keen to stay and wanted the fans to know that.

SideriteSiderite
    Participant

Michelle’s message to Hilton upon acquiring the club was professional. I can understand her being disappointed about her husband having to look elsewhere, but is it best to air it so publicly? I think that’s unwise, but this fuss over very little has dragged on and I don’t see why it’s worth continuing.

Deereyme66Deereyme66

‘She was just pissed off just like my wife would be.’

Xxx?

Apollo11Apollo11
    Participant

Yes, fair enough, but has she any reason to post other than the truth.

As I have said before on this thread, it is more likely that her saying that is down to an expectation that the club would keep coming back with better offers once the initial one had been turned down, and feeling affronted that they did not. So she believes, probably, that they did not ‘fight’ to keep Butterfield.

The other side of that coin, then, is that the club has implemented a strict wage structure and is very good at sticking to it. Well done, imho.

SideriteSiderite
    Participant

In his latest interview Andy Butler says Butterfield was offered 3 contracts with a coaching role included. Doesn’t sound like he wasn’t in the manager’s plans. Yet the club will still get stick because of an interpretation by Butterfield’s partner.

WonderGoalsWonderGoals
    Participant
    Registered On: December 27, 2013
    Topics: 90

According to Butler the information given paints a different picture to Butterfield’s wife. 3 contracts offered with one offering a player/coaching role and turned them all down.

They aren’t the actions of a club/manager who aren’t bothered with losing a player and not putting effort in to keep them. End of the day we have a budget and Butterfield wanted the same money he was getting before, which was silly money for this level and we weren’t prepared to pay it.

End of story.

4 users thanked author for this post.
    Apollo11Apollo11
    Participant

According to Butler the information given paints a different picture to Butterfield’s wife. 3 contracts offered with one offering a player/coaching role and turned them all down.

They aren’t the actions of a club/manager who aren’t bothered with losing a player and not putting effort in to keep them. End of the day we have a budget and Butterfield wanted the same money he was getting before, which was silly money for this level and we weren’t prepared to pay it.

End of story.

Not quite the all-time hero and legend profile his Mrs has been campaigning for, then.

WonderGoalsWonderGoals
    Participant
    Registered On: December 27, 2013
    Topics: 90

Not quite the all-time hero and legend profile his Mrs has been campaigning for then.

Exactly my point.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.