First to jump ship

Iron Bru Forums Blast Furnace First to jump ship

• Author
    WonderGoalsWonderGoals
    Participant
    Registered On: December 27, 2013
    Topics: 90

Paying players £1500 or over is lunacy. From what I read a while ago I think Roberts is on more than Butterfield was. Another questionable big wage on the books. Don’t get me wrong he’s a fantastic player, but will he prove value for money with his injury record ?. I’m not sure.

Only thing worries me is going into a new season with 2 wingers who such questionable histories when it comes to injuries. Law is even more injury prone than Roberts is. Every time Law came back last season he broke down shortly after.

NorthumbironNorthumbiron
    Registered On: January 3, 2014
    Topics: 66

Sorry to disappoint you WG but Glendon has signed a new contract at Chester!

Keep scanning the horizon.

WonderGoalsWonderGoals
    Participant

I’ll leave that to Mr Butler. I didn’t expect players in this early, but I expected some movement on an assistant by now. Isn’t Butler giving an update on Monday ?

Iron414Iron414
    Participant
    Registered On: May 30, 2024
    Topics: 0

Club said ‘early next week’ so I imagine Monday or Tuesday. Suspect they might announce a signing beforehand so there’s something more positive to discuss. Hope it’s a proven goal scorer as we’ve lost 50% of our goals from last season with Dion, Butterfield and Elliot. Would also think an assistant manager must be on the horizon?

Deereyme66Deereyme66
    Registered On: May 8, 2017
    Topics: 101

I’d say a proven goalscorer is a luxury we can’t afford but hope I’m wrong. I’d imagine Butler to be expecting more goals from existing players like Shrimpton, Roberts, Beestin, etc

TheJuryeffsOutTheJuryeffsOut
    Participant
    Registered On: April 1, 2023
    Topics: 11

Fear not, Iron414, I’m sure Butler has plenty of good options out there.

AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant
    Registered On: June 20, 2017
    Topics: 160

How can Butler expect Beestin to help out with the goals 3 seasons 92 games 6 goals to is name.
    Roberts the class that he is has only played 20 games in 2 seasons.
    Lets hope Fin can step up or that man OG.

WonderGoalsWonderGoals
    Participant

I’d say a proven goalscorer is a luxury we can’t afford but hope I’m wrong

At this level we’ll still have one of the biggest budgets and a proven goalscorer at this level is by no means out of our reach. Elliot was a proven striker at this level and we signed him.

lesgeolesgeo
    Participant
    Registered On: December 25, 2013
    Topics: 96

On what was surely ‘silly money’that we could not afford.

Deereyme66Deereyme66

Exactly. I think we do need another forward but might struggle to get a ‘proven goalscorer’ from a decent level. Ideally I’d like to see a decent forward who has potential and ability but is perhaps being held back wherever he’s playing, for whatever reason, and is less expensive

FerriteFerrite
    Participant
    Registered On: December 23, 2013

What price/value do you put on a player that wants to play for you that much? Personally if he only played 45 minutes every week I’d still want to keep him.

Alternatively, if he wants to play for you that much, he’d understand that we can’t afford to pay him Hilton wages?

cassidystashcassidystash
    Participant
    Registered On: January 4, 2014
    Topics: 104

He’s not asking for that it seems, just a reasonable offer. How many people would continue working for the same company with a 65% pay cut?
    (Assuming all information posted is correct)

2 users thanked author for this post.
    FerriteFerrite
    Participant

How many people would continue working for the same company with a 65% pay cut?
    (Assuming all information posted is correct)

But that’s pretty much my point. He’s fully entitled to go elsewhere if he thinks he can find a better offer. So let’s not pretend that he or SUFC should base the relationship on anything more than a financial transaction.

The days of Swann & Hilton paying way over the odds for players are gone, we have to be realistic. If Butler thinks his money is better spent elsewhere, that’s his lookout.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    mkironMK Iron
    Participant
    Topics: 46

I would put money on no-one that visits this site has ever signed up to a 65% wage cut.

If he had been offered a 35% wage cut and had declined it most folks would have just said thanks for the memories Jacob and wished him well.

If the estimated figures are broadly true then no offer would gave been more respectful than the one reported.

If Butler wants to go a different way that’s absolutely fine but just saying thanks and bye would have been better than making an offer that was never going to be considered.

I get that Butler is new to this and perhaps deserves to be cut some slack but surely Turnbull and/or the Directors responsible for football should have given him some better advice on this one.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    FerriteFerrite
    Participant

I would put money on no-one that visits this site has ever signed up to a 65% wage cut.

If he had been offered a 35% wage cut and had declined it most folks would have just said thanks for the memories Jacob and wished him well.

The scale of the reduction says more about the money that was being spent under the previous regime I reckon.

BigLeftToeBigLeftToe
    Participant
    Registered On: June 6, 2017
    Topics: 6

If you believe Butterfield’s wife (and there’s no reason not to), it was stated he was offered slightly over minimum wage. That’s £20,820 a year. Let’s be generous and say he was offered £30k a year, a 65% reduction would have meant he was on roughly £86k a year. We signed him in the NL, where the average salary is (according to a quick Google) between £1 – £1.5k a week. So he was on £1.65k a week, a little over the average wage for a NL footballer.

That doesn’t scream paying way over the odds to me, especially for a player of his quality…he was signed under Swann long after the purse strings were tightly sealed.

Deereyme66Deereyme66

But we don’t know what he was on under Hilton. I’m sceptical about this ‘just over the minimum wage’ myself. ‘65% cut’ hasn’t been verified by anyone either. Not suggesting his wife is making things up but the club haven’t verified it. Anyway, time to move on from this episode IMO.

AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant

I’m not going to blame Butler at all. Just the head of football operations and Michelle in this case but like someone said we should give some slack in her case being her first time at the rough end.

Deereyme66Deereyme66

But it’s okay for the club to be castigated across social media? Because that’s what’s happened

AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant

And i consider that to be a good thing instead of Butterfield taking any blame, how many times we’ve wondered what’s gone on well this time we have so thank you Mrs Butterfield. Sceptical well the club could deny it, not like there’s no director on the tuther side who’s seen her posts.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    fans6464
    Registered On: February 14, 2015
    Topics: 444

You do love castigating the best thing that’s happened to Scunthorpe in years,You have to forgive her for showing your hero up for the chancer and conman he was,As for Butt’s wife,what a classless woman she appears to be,as far as I’m aware no fans were slating him for leaving,it was expected.Shes clearly lived up to his overpaid wages and upset .We don’t owe him or her a living

SideriteSiderite
    Participant
    Registered On: December 12, 2014
    Topics: 78

Couldn’t trust the rumours around Hilton, despite them coming true and sketchy Company’s House record, but we should definitely believe in these. The club don’t need to confirm anything about Butterfield’s wage details in these negotiations. If he wasn’t part of Butler’s plans, he could have just been released, but this is hardly scandal of the century.

fans6464
    Registered On: February 14, 2015
    Topics: 444

I would add that I’ve not seen his wife’s comments and will delete my last post if what has been stated above about her isn’t true

SideriteSiderite
    Participant
    Registered On: December 12, 2014
    Topics: 78

Apollo posted her comments on page 2 of this thread.

BigLeftToeBigLeftToe
    Participant
    Registered On: June 6, 2017
    Topics: 6

Oh yeah, completely forgot he signed an extension at the start of the season under Hilton! Ignore me, carry on…

Apollo11Apollo11
    Participant
    Registered On: September 21, 2023
    Topics: 37

Couldn’t trust the rumours around Hilton, despite them coming true and sketchy Company’s House record, but we should definitely believe in these. The club don’t need to confirm anything about Butterfield’s wage details in these negotiations. If he wasn’t part of Butler’s plans, he could have just been released, but this is hardly scandal of the century.

Pretty sure I said this earlier up the thread. Maybe Butler would like to have kept him, but wasn’t prepared to break the new wage structure.

Interestingly, it’s possible that (say) Clunan is still going to be on the same wage as last season as his contract hadn’t expired… and Butterfield would have had to take a drastically reduced wage. He’d have been on ‘coat according to cloth’ cash while a lesser player remained on Disney money.

Maybe that’s where there was also a bit of a sting in this for him, too.

FerriteFerrite
    Participant

There’s no doubting that the Hilton legacy will lead to a two-tier wage structure this summer but equally I’d expect – even hope – the club listens to offers for players on Hilton money, particularly Roberts.

Apollo11Apollo11
    Participant
    Registered On: September 21, 2023
    Topics: 37

There’s no doubting that the Hilton legacy will lead to a two-tier wage structure this summer but equally I’d expect – even hope – the club listens to offers for players on Hilton money, particularly Roberts.

Agreed. My point, really, was that perhaps that two-tier thing is why Butterfield and his wife felt so affronted? Perhaps they imagined that, as he was so popular, Butler and the club would bend their own ‘new financial rules’ just to keep him, and perhaps it took them by surprise that they would not – hence the outpourings on social media.

Iron414Iron414
    Participant
    Registered On: May 30, 2024

Butterfield signed a 2 year deal under Swann, long after he had stopped splashing the cash as BLT said. There was no extension signed under Hilton so why would he have been paid different under Hilton Deerey?

I don’t think it’s unreasonable for us to question some decisions that are made by management rather than just ‘happy clap’. After all isn’t that what some members of this forum criticised the ‘Hilton lovers’ for doing? As fans and season ticket holders we are entitled to express disappointment at losing our best 2 players, especially when it appears one of them was avoidable.

You obviously have not read Butterfield’s or his wife’s statement 64 as certainly neither come across as classless. It’s never great to see contracts discussed publicly but I do think some context was probably required if the reported figures are accurate. I’d say Butterfield’s statement is one of the most dignified I’ve read from any departing player and shows why he was so highly thought of by fans and his teammates.

Moving on I am delighted we have signed Evan’s on a 2 year contract. With Kougan and (hopefully) Boyce also on board that’s a solid defence.

smartm5smartm5
    Participant
    Registered On: February 24, 2022

Correct me if I’m wrong but on the Podcast, I recall Michelle Harness saying she left the football operations to two directors. You can guess all you like if that is true, but in judging her actions I get the sense that she isn’t treating the Club like her play-thing and meddling in all areas.

It was appropriate she had a strong influence / decision in the Management structure, Manager and Playing Budget but I think she is leaving the football side to the people she believes have fooball nous.

Would SUFC have existed without Mrs Harness and her efforts?

Getting to what is perceived to be a sustainable operation was always going to be difficult and uncomfortable; players leaving are examples of that journey. When you don’t have all the information, a bit more consideration should be in order before passing judgement and deciding who to criticize.

4 users thanked author for this post.
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.