First to jump ship

Iron Bru Forums Blast Furnace First to jump ship

• Author
    IronaweIronawe
    Participant
    Registered On: December 31, 2013
    Topics: 40

Ferrite probably worked it out monthly, at least I hope he/she did.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Iron414Iron414
    Participant
    Registered On: May 30, 2024
    Topics: 0

And on the flip side of that I’ll avoid where ever it is your living wondergoals with a 7 day working week!
    Agree Apollo, think it’s been offered so we can announce his departure as ‘rejected terms’ as opposed to him just been ‘released’. If the Mrs B post is accurate then it wasn’t a serious offer.
    Quite a calculated move and not a good look for the club. Should have just released him and owned up to that decision.

FerriteFerrite
    Participant
    Registered On: December 23, 2013
    Topics: 101

Not quite Ferrite. Minimum wage is £11.44 an hour so multiply that by 8 you get £91.52 x 7 = £640. Multiply £640 x 2 £1280, then add on 15% as his terms were reduced 65% and not 50%, meaning he was on roughly £1500. I will say roughly because that’s working on the basis of him actually been offered minimum wage but his wife said a fraction over.

The word “fraction” could be doing quite a bit of work in that post though, of course.

Deereyme66Deereyme66
    Registered On: May 8, 2017

‘Quite a calculated move and not a good look for the club. Should have just released him and owned up to that decision.’

Why are you so down on every aspect of club decision making? Has someone there upset you? You’ve clearly got an agenda, as I said earlier, because all these things you’ve commented on and spun into a major crisis really aren’t that.

lesgeolesgeo
    Participant
    Registered On: December 25, 2013
    Topics: 96

BTW, 414 – if Butterfield is 34 in June, he is then entering his 35th year.

Anyone know how many times JB failed to complete a match and was subbed around 70 minutes?
    It’s one heck of a pointer.

Deereyme66Deereyme66

Indeed. Butler suggested fitness levels were going to be worked on. Maybe he’s already worked out he needs players who can last the 90 regularly. How many times did a ponderous build up allow the opposition to regroup amd get behind the ball? Great to see Shrimpton is staying on. Young, fit, handy and hungry.

mistertonmickmistertonmick
    Participant
    Topics: 106

Ross Barrows has signed a new contract, by his wife Butterfield was willing to take a huge cut in his wages but what he was offered was still below he would accept

PaulSanfran49
    Participant
    Topics: 70

Says 65% pay cut but what is 100% ?

Got to tell all the figures if you are accusing the club. Substantial cuts were warned before season end.
    No alternative for me need to get the debt as near zero as possible.

4 users thanked author for this post.
    AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant
    Registered On: June 20, 2017
    Topics: 160

Butterfield fitness levels increased as the season went on played 90mins in 10 out of the last 13 matches.

mkironMK Iron
    Participant
    Topics: 46

I remember reading something by the owner/chairman of Bishops Stortford when they were unhappy about being placed in National League North.

He said a big problem was clubs actually in the north could sign decent part time footballers for about £500 a week whereas clubs in the south had to pay about £800 a week for the same quality.

If that is anything close to being correct then offering arguably the best footballer in the league last season less than £500 a week as a full timer would be insulting if true.

I agree with Lesgeo that footballers salaries are best kept confidential but if this is Butlers way of saying he doesn’t want Butterfield in his team then I hope he learns to be more honest in the future.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Apollo11Apollo11
    Participant
    Registered On: September 21, 2023
    Topics: 37

… if this is Butlers way of saying he doesn’t want Butterfield in his team then I hope he learns to be more honest in the future.

More likely that Butterfield had been on utterly ridiculous ‘Disney money’ for this league last season and was then offered a wage commensurate with Division 6 football, and reasonable on the club’s part.

Perhaps Butler and the Club believed Butterfield would ‘see sense’ and accept, realising that the previous high wage was an unrealistic ‘one off’.

My guess (based on the ‘fraction more than minimum wage’ comment from his wife on social media) is he has been offered about 30k and had previously been on about 75.

cliffbyrnesrightpegCliff Byrne’s Right Peg
    Participant
    Registered On: October 17, 2015
    Topics: 57

It’s worth remembering that this transfer window will be the first for the majority of the board. They’ve probably judged this one wrong but if any group of people deserve some slack- it’s them.

WonderGoalsWonderGoals
    Participant
    Registered On: December 27, 2013
    Topics: 90

Butler clearly hinted he wants a more solid and fit team. Last season we were over run by fitter more robust part time players and how many times did we come back from a goal down ?

We need a more robust team with more energy and stamina. Clearly Butterfield wasn’t the top of Butler’s list and was offered what he thought he should have been offered, he’s decided not to take it so we move on.

Butterfield was way above this level, but when he started to markedly slow down in the second half of the season he used to get overpowered and overrun and Butler would have noticed it. We’ll need to sign a tidy ball player though to replace him.

Scales
    Beestin “if he signs”
    Shrimpton
    Clunan

Add another to those possible four already here and we’ll be ok. Moving away from Butterfield it’s great news Barrows has signed on again. Clearly loves the club and always did say he was a better all around RB than Ogle. Barrows doesn’t have the acceleration of Ogle, but his delivery is better and is a better attacking option than Ogle. Barrows is a better passer of the ball as well.

premierironpremier iron
    Participant
    Registered On: October 6, 2014
    Topics: 28

Hope Butler can find an alternative to Butterfield although he could have been fitter he will take some replacing

WonderGoalsWonderGoals
    Participant

Hope Butler can find an alternative to Butterfield although he could have been fitter he will take some replacing

It’s unrealistic to expect we’re going to find a comparable all round player, but I’m sure they’ll be some at this level who would do a good job.

Good options available. George Glendon the captain of Chester City is out of contract. 29yr old who scored 12 goals last season. Liam Waldock 23yr old CM from Alfreton Town who also scored 12 goals last season with 2 assists and he’s out of contract.

No, I’m not saying we’ll sign them or that we’re linked, but they were merely an example of potential options available to us.

SideriteSiderite
    Participant
    Registered On: December 12, 2014
    Topics: 78

It’s not summer until Wonder Goals brings out his list of players scouted from the latest version of Football Manager.

Deereyme66Deereyme66

In the meantime many Iron fans are optimistic about a productive summer ahead…

images

WonderGoalsWonderGoals
    Participant

It’s not summer until Wonder Goals brings out his list of players scouted from the latest version of Football Manager.

No Football Manager involved. Transfermarkt has a player tracker which lists players from each division. Actually a really good website. Siderite, how can you call two mere examples of free transfers who could possibly cover Butterfield’s position a list ?

Put the crack pipe down.

SideriteSiderite
    Participant
    Registered On: December 12, 2014
    Topics: 78

It was just a light hearted joke, not meant to be poking fun at you or treated as some valid point. Calm down.

NorthumbironNorthumbiron
    Registered On: January 3, 2014
    Topics: 66

I reckon the reason Butterfield was less effective in the second half of the season was that opposition managers had sussed him out. Or more likely Dean’s reliance on him as the kingpin of the team.

Disappointing we couldn’t keep hold of him but if this is an indication that Butler’s managerial style is not going to be the same as Dean’s then it could be a positive.

I think we all knew that we really needed to bounce straight back at the first attempt. We didn’t, and unfortunately this is what happens when you don’t!

Deereyme66Deereyme66
    cassidystashcassidystash
    Participant
    Registered On: January 4, 2014
    Topics: 104

Fantastic message from Jacob on SUFC X. What price/value do you put on a player that wants to play for you that much? Personally if he only played 45 minutes every week I’d still want to keep him. I’m sure agreement could be reached financially in a player/AM or player/coach role if we wanted a solution as much as he obviously does.
    Good luck Jacob wherever you end up and thanks for everything.

AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant

Club let there mask down a bit. Like I said before it’s just a business and wow didn’t they show it with that insulting offer.
    Who in the right mind could ever have excepted a 65% pay cut especially when supposedly the clubs best player,if that’s all we can afford then better we go part time.

NorthumbironNorthumbiron
    Registered On: January 3, 2014
    Topics: 66

I see Elliott Whitehouse has turned down a new contract at Chester and signed for Macclesfield.

They must be splashing the cash!

IronaweIronawe
    Participant
    Registered On: December 31, 2013
    Topics: 40

Butterfield’s post on twitter was exceptional. Personally thought we should’ve made an offer less derisory. The guy had so much time on the ball for most matches, yes he had to sit deeper the longer the season went on to pick up the ball but why we didn’t explore the player coach option and increased the offer slightly, a 30% reduction might have swung it, but the the overarching view is probably that he doesn’t fit into the longer term strategy, and the finances probably don’t stretch as far as we think. Might just be going down the fit and shit route!

WonderGoalsWonderGoals
    Participant

if that’s all we can afford then better we go part time.

That’s not all we could afford. Butler clearly wants to go in another direction and he was offered what they believed he was worth. 2nd half of the season at times he was a luxury player and as soon as teams stuck close to him and got at him, he was pretty ineffective.

Butterfield would be a year older, a year slower and all teams would do is just do the same again. If Butterfield was still here naturally the players on the pitch would mostly go through him and it would take away from the other players. #

Butler maybe doesn’t want us to be as heavily reliant on one single player and is going towards a more collective effort for next season. When you actually take a step back and think about the clubs decision on Butterfield, it’s completely understandable.

AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant

I can go along with most that WG but they just shouldn’t have offered a contract at all and everyone would have been tickets boo no need to upset his family like that. Id rather have a team than relying on the one or two men all the time, i hope Butler can find that team.

Deereyme66Deereyme66

No need to upset his family?! As if the club intentionally set out to upset his family.

fans6464
    Registered On: February 14, 2015
    Topics: 444

If he performed at higher levels consistently he wouldn’t be in a league with” derisory” wages We clearly over paid lat season

mkironMK Iron
    Participant
    Topics: 46

When he first signed for us we were one level higher and at the time he signed he was probably told we were only planning 1 season in the National League.

He probably thought that meant we were going for promotion.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.