First to jump ship

Iron Bru Forums Blast Furnace First to jump ship

• Author
    AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant
    Registered On: June 20, 2017
    Topics: 160

Tom Pugh to Halifax, which league are they in!

AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant

Sorry wrong thread.

Iron414Iron414
    Participant
    Registered On: May 30, 2024
    Topics: 0

Another two important players gone. Butterfield in particular is irreplaceable at this level. Should have made it number one priority to keep him. His individual moments of brilliance are something we won’t see again for a long time at Glanford Park.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Deereyme66Deereyme66
    Registered On: May 8, 2017
    Topics: 101

Butterfield’s an exceptional one off player who should always have been higher than regional level. No one is irreplaceable.

You joined the forum around 4am today and have since only submitted posts attempting to bring the club down. You’ve clearly got an agenda, whoever you are.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    WonderGoalsWonderGoals
    Participant
    Registered On: December 27, 2013
    Topics: 90

I liked Butterfield, but second half of the season when he slowed down he became a bit of a luxury player at times.

lesgeolesgeo
    Participant
    Registered On: December 25, 2013
    Topics: 96

Yes. Some truth in that.
    One of the very highest earners – obviously – and will be well into his 35th year by the start of the new season.
    You can reasonably take a view that offering contracts to older players can be quite a risky decision.
    He did slow down and will certainly not be getting any faster in the future. His goals also became less frequent, of course.
    All things said, we’ll need someone pretty good to replace him.

IronaweIronawe
    Participant
    Registered On: December 31, 2013
    Topics: 40

13 goals 21 assists will be hard to replace. More needed now from other midfielders, let’s hope Beestin gets through this exercise regime with his hamstrings intact.

4 users thanked author for this post.
    WonderGoalsWonderGoals
    Participant

I wouldn’t say he’s at the paper mache stage just yet, but he’s verging on being in the cardboard territory. Beestin showed flashes of the old Beestin, but in between him picking up yet another niggle and good old Dean playing him wide left, we didn’t see it for long enough.

I hope Butler get’s him and all the other players in to shape in pre season. One thing he hinted was that he didn’t think the previous squad was fit enough so fingers crossed he cracks the whip.

Iron414Iron414
    Participant

Deerey, if your suggesting I’m Hilton, getting up in the small hours to post on this site your wide of the mark.

I’ve been an occasional poster for years but lost access to my account 10 months or so ago when my email was hacked. I’ve been a browser of this site since but never felt compelled to set up a new account for posting purposes until I saw the news that Ogle, one of my favourite players, was leaving. And it certainly wasn’t 4am where I currently am in the world, visiting my daughter. It’s been a torrid 24 hours as an Iron fan losing our 2 best players, hence the negative bias of my posts. If and when we sign suitable replacements for Ogle and Butterfield you will see a more positive outlook but currently I am not feeling optimistic and reading the comments across social media I’m not alone.

I like the sentiment that no one at the club is irreplaceable, however the reality of attracting anyone even close to Butterfield’s quality, creativity and worldie-scoring ability… unfortunately he will prove to be irreplaceable.

Iron414Iron414
    Participant

Lesgo, I have Butterfield at 33, about to turn 34.

However, if the rumour mill is correct and we’re signing Tommy Rowe, he himself is well into his 35th year and about turn 36. Risky move indeed.

lesgeolesgeo
    Participant
    Registered On: December 25, 2013
    Topics: 96

I think JB really is nearing the end of his career. The signs were already there. I’d rather hoped that he might have been Number 2 to AB which might well have been the best of both worlds for the club.

mkironMK Iron
    Participant
    Registered On: December 23, 2013
    Topics: 46

Butterfield was not as effective in the last dozen or so games but I don’t think it was fitness related.

Two things happened. Even the less tactically aware of our opponents realised that stopping Butterfield negated about 80% of our attacking threat. Given most opposition had at least one extra player in midfield this was easy for them.
    At the same time Dean became more concerned with not losing and we saw less off Denton and Ogle pushing on and more of Roberts, Corbett, Sembie-Ferris, McAlinden or Beestin (whoever was nominally playing wide forward) were creeping back to become half arsed wide midfielders.

Left Butterfield (and Clunan and Scales) with very little to play forward passes to.

Disappointed he has gone as we all know how good he is in a side with a positive outlook. Gives Beestin the chance to finally nail that attacking midfield role which is where he does his best stuff.

We need 40 games out of you though Alfie.

Deereyme66Deereyme66
    Registered On: May 8, 2017

‘It’s been a torrid 24 hours as an Iron fan’

Total exaggeration. As if it has. For ‘torid’, see the previous years up to Hilton leaving. Torid my arse!

5 users thanked author for this post.
    BigLeftToeBigLeftToe
    Participant
    Registered On: June 6, 2017
    Topics: 6

Haha yep…back to back relegations, HMRC winding up orders, staff not being paid, losing the academy, almost losing the stadium, players hours away from going on strike, CCJs all over the place…but it’s losing two players who deserve to be playing at a higher level that compels you to come out of the woodwork during this “torid” 24 hours!

5 users thanked author for this post.
    FerriteFerrite
    Participant

No player is irreplaceable, no matter how disappointing it is when someone popular leaves.

I notice no one is losing any sleep over Elliott – one of the most over-hyped players I can remember seeing in an Iron shirt. Talk of him signing for Macclesfield, which tells you everything.

Butterfield could have become a real club legend if he’d stayed but it’s his choice and he has his bills to pay. Again, he may well have left last summer had we not offered him a big contract.

FerriteFerrite
    Participant

Not the best start to the close season. Real shame not to get Butterfield – this is the reality fans have to get used to in this pub league

Because we never lost our best players to other clubs when we were in the Championship!

Iron-aweIron-awe
    Participant
    Registered On: June 21, 2017
    Topics: 11

These players leaving aren’t a mega surprise considering the money they would have been on and how we have to budget accordingly in our current situation compared to irresponsibly budgeting under the previous regime in charge. Old saying but some people literally have to ” wake up and smell the coffee” we still have a football club to support next season and that is the most important detail here.

AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant

We don’t need to be down the club have an income of a mid table division 2 team, sure it wont be long before we have some incoming players, personally I hope non of the players offered contracts sign they weren’t up to it last season why should they be this, needed that new manager after the darlo game instead of shocking him at the end of the season he was always going have to play catch up after his appointment, it is what it is and we’ll just have to roll with it im afraid.

AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant

Butterfields wife posted on tuther side he didn’t fit into Butlers plans, only offered 65% of his current contract tadge above the minimum wage, that would have meant he was on roughly a grand a week.
    Now why wouldn’t he be in his plans? Would you want a natural shoe in still at the club, just the same reason as Knill not wanting Cliffy at the club imo. Well done Butler be ruthless.

Apollo11Apollo11
    Participant
    Registered On: September 21, 2023
    Topics: 37

Here’s what Butterfield’s wife had to say, at the cult page, about the contract situation.

C85078-BA-0-BF3-48-C6-A2-AA-2657841-D1-F64

FerriteFerrite
    Participant

A 65% reduction suggests he was on one hell of a big contract.

e.g. 35% of £4,000/week works out at £1,400.

AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant

His wife said different Ferrite she says about a thousand,do you think he was telling her porkies.
    Personally I think he’s been treat shite by Butler, Michelle, Turnbull was a piss poor offer he deserved better or not an offer at all, maybe the club didn’t think the offer would get out in the public domain.

mkironMK Iron
    Participant
    Topics: 46

Minimum wage is about £390 a week. Let’s be generous and say a fraction above is 20% uplift which suggests Butterfield was offered about £470 a week or circa £25.5k a year.

If it’s a 65% reduction that means he was on about £70k a year or about £1,350 a week.

I can believe the £70k and probably think he was worth that.

Not sure I believe the club would offer a player to drop from £1,350 a week to £470. If it is true then I would agree with Mrs B that the message is they don’t want him.

That is of course is if it actually is Mrs B on Facebook. Never used it myself but am told it’s quite easy to pretend you’re someone else on Facebook and that occasionally people tell porkies on there.

WonderGoalsWonderGoals
    Participant

Not quite Ferrite. Minimum wage is £11.44 an hour so multiply that by 8 you get £91.52 x 7 = £640. Multiply £640 x 2 £1280, then add on 15% as his terms were reduced 65% and not 50%, meaning he was on roughly £1500. I will say roughly because that’s working on the basis of him actually been offered minimum wage but his wife said a fraction over.

So he used to be on £1500-£1700, which at this level, considering his age and the fact he alarmingly slowed down is a big out lay. I think Butler this season will want players who not only can play, but who can also get around the pitch and have that energy needed.

Great going forward last season, but we were too easily to play against at times and we didn’t have that resilience needed.

AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant

Its her alright MK have a look you don’t have to join.

Apollo11Apollo11
    Participant
    Registered On: September 21, 2023
    Topics: 37

If, as Mrs Butterfield suggests, Jacob wasn’t in the manager’s plans then why offer him a contract at all?

Iron414Iron414
    Participant

Where was this posted and is it genuine?
    Ferrite… if £1400 a week is fraction more than minimum wage then I want to move to where you’re living!
    MK I think you could be on the money there with those estimates and assuming the post to be genuine. What an insult to our player of the year if true.

AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant

X 7 Wondergoals. Most salaries are based on 40hrs not 56.

AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant

So the natives wouldn’t be upset Apollo, like I said the club probably didn’t think the offer would get out.
    Apologies Ironawe I’ll leave it at that lol.

cliffbyrnesrightpegCliff Byrne’s Right Peg
    Participant
    Registered On: October 17, 2015
    Topics: 57

Never a good look seeing contract details in the public domain, nothing much the club can do there though. By the sounds of it they were probably better off not offering a contract at all.

Meanwhile, It is pleasing to see the players that are leaving showing affection to both the club and the fanbase as evidenced by the post by Butterfield’s wife; hopefully that culture can be strengthened in the forthcoming season.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.