Topics: 82

Elliot to Boston next

Hearing Macclesfield myself

WonderGoalsWonderGoals
    Participant
    Registered On: December 27, 2013
    Topics: 90

Never quite got the hype around Ogle.

Athletic with fantastic work ethic, but his final delivery into the box 9 times out of 10 was terrible and made plenty of errors. I’m sure there are suitable replacements out there.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    mkironMK Iron
    Participant
    Registered On: December 23, 2013
    Topics: 46

Agree with WG.

At this level there are 3 qualities a perfect full back needs.

1. Decent defensively.
    2. Can pass and cross well.
    3. Good in the air to help with the aerial bombardment.

Ogle has 1 but neither 2 or 3 (Denton is the same).

Gives Barrows a proper opportunity and allows Butler the chance to recruit another full back with wider qualities.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    BigLeftToeBigLeftToe
    Participant
    Registered On: June 6, 2017
    Topics: 6

Barrows needs to sign a new contract first! No guarantee he’ll be here next season either.

Iron-aweIron-awe
    Participant
    Registered On: June 21, 2017
    Topics: 11

Better get used to a smaller cheaper squad for a good time to come, legacy of Anonymous.

CaptainObviousCaptainObvious
    Participant
    Registered On: August 6, 2023
    Topics: 0

Ogle has 1 but neither 2 or 3 (Denton is the same).

Totally agree.

He always appeared to give 100%, worked hard, and was good defensively. His pace also allowed us to create quick bursts forward and get on the front foot, although in hindsight, the delivery/end result often lacked what his endeavor deserved.

Initially, I was gutted to hear that he’s moved on. However, on reflection, although I would have been delighted if he’d stayed, it’s not the end of the world.

I wish him all the best and thank him for his time at SUFC.

WonderGoalsWonderGoals
    Participant

However, on reflection, although I would have been delighted if he’d stayed, it’s not the end of the world.

I’m in the same camp, I’d rather he stayed, but it’s not too damaging that he’s gone. I always thought Barrows was the better all round RB, but whether he’s here next season is another thing all together.

If I was Butler I’d give Barrows assurance of first team football as first choice RB and then sign a younger one as back up. Apart from Ogle, Elliot is moving on according to twitter. Bit of a blow if he does go in my opinion.

I know he wasn’t a constant last season, but in a formation with two up top you would have thought he’d score 20+ goals.

cliffbyrnesrightpegCliff Byrne’s Right Peg
    Participant
    Registered On: October 17, 2015
    Topics: 57

No surprise really, thought he looked comfortable in the National League and should have no problem competing at that level. He Has been a consistent performer for us so wish him well.

Agree with the posts regarding Barrows; proven player at this level and deserves a decent crack at making RB his own so a replacement may not be necessary.

Iron414Iron414
    Participant
    Registered On: May 30, 2024

Disappointed to lose Ogle. Previous year’s player of the season and a firm favourite with the fans. Can Barrows do a job there? Maybe, but I think Ogle will be sorely missed. Now to see how many of our key players Butler can convince to stay.

lesgeolesgeo
    Participant
    Registered On: December 25, 2013
    Topics: 96

0 to 60 from a standing start in not too many seconds. That we will miss immensely. Other than that – not the greatest defender I’ve ever seen.
    Could be a fairly hefty salary saved.

PaulSanfran49
    Participant
    Topics: 70

Was offered new terms and obviously Oldham have offered better terms and perhaps several others were between Oldham and us.

Budget had to come down before we are able to move forward from a base of strength.

FerriteFerrite
    Participant
    Topics: 101

Athletic with fantastic work ethic, but his final delivery into the box 9 times out of 10 was terrible and made plenty of errors. I’m sure there are suitable replacements out there.

Agree on the athleticism but his passing was awful and he relied on his pass to make up for a lack of positional sense.

Not a bad player by any means but equally I don’t think he’s irreplaceable.

FerriteFerrite
    Participant

Could be a fairly hefty salary saved.

Given everyone expected him to sign for Oldham this time last year, I imagine he was given a pretty chunky pay rise to stay on under the last regime.

Ben2206Ben
    Participant
    Topics: 5

Pretty much agree with all of the above.

He did his primary job of defending well enough but when we was needed to to be an extra attacking option, he got to the final third but the final ball wasn’t good enough. If we need the full backs to support and supplement the wide attacking player then the final ball should produce a better output.

Saying that he was one of those players that gave you at least 7 out of 10 each week.

IronIronIronIronIronIron
    Participant
    Registered On: December 24, 2013
    Topics: 6

Some revisionist history going on here methinks.

Ogle was a very good player at this level. If he had all the attribute that have been listed above he would be on his way to the Euro’s!!

An excellent player for us the last couple of years. Committed, consistent and a good bit of pace.

Another 10 like that in the team, in their respective positions, and we would – as Burney said last year – “piss the league”.

He may well be missed.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant
    Registered On: June 20, 2017
    Topics: 160

According to wage salary he was only on £630 per week, don’t forget he was in the bargain bucket bin when we signed him and most weren’t that impressed at the time, end of that contract and just saw he could get better else where, not the player he was the season before finished the season poorly imo.

ironfromafarironfromafar
    Participant
    Registered On: October 10, 2021
    Topics: 19

Hoping Butterfield doesnt jump too … imo most of the non contracted players will depart MAYBE 1 or 2 will stay .. we wait n see .. for sure when the dust settles AB will have his work cut out to compete around the top ov the table.

FerriteFerrite
    Participant

We have to remember that a lot of those players joined us last summer having turned down higher-ranked clubs, they didn’t do that for the love of SUFC and a burning desire to play in the Conference North.

Iron414Iron414
    Participant
    Registered On: May 30, 2024

We MUST keep Butterfield and Denton. Butterfield has expressed his desires many times last season to sign a new deal with the club so if we don’t keep hold of him it will be a major loss for us and an indication of what’s to come.

WonderGoalsWonderGoals
    Participant

We MUST keep Butterfield and Denton

Butterfield I agree with, but he’ll be another year older and he wants to get into coaching. I thought the 2nd half of the season he slowed down considerably.

You have to take into consideration that we have Kelly who will be on a fair wedge still at the club and before we signed him he played a lot of games the season before at the level above.

I wouldn’t at all be surprised to see him go. Another one who drastically dipped off 2nd half of the season. At times he was an accident waiting to happen.

PaulSanfran49
    Participant
    Topics: 70

If they go then they go. Can’t put the club at risk so early when so much great work has been done to reduce the debt mountain.

lesgeolesgeo
    Participant
    Registered On: December 25, 2013
    Topics: 96

Denton was outstanding in the first half of last season but not quite at the same level in the second half.

TheJuryeffsOutTheJuryeffsOut
    Participant
    Registered On: April 1, 2023
    Topics: 11
    WonderGoalsWonderGoals
    Participant

I read Elliot was supposed to have been leaving yesterday. Butterfield I’m not entirely surprised with in all honesty. If we keep the others then fair play.

IronaweIronawe
    Participant
    Registered On: December 31, 2013
    Topics: 40

Not the best start to the close season. Real shame not to get Butterfield – this is the reality fans have to get used to in this pub league

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.