Participant
    Registered On: October 10, 2021
    Topics: 19

thats a real sooprize after such a prolific spell at Scunny .. Errrrrrrr

AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant
    Registered On: June 20, 2017
    Topics: 160

Sembi Ferris back to Peterborough Sports. Looking forward to watching him again next season.

Deereyme66Deereyme66
    Registered On: May 8, 2017
    Topics: 101

Switching allegiances to Sports is a bit drastic!

CMCCMC
    Participant
    Registered On: July 14, 2022
    Topics: 32

Switching allegiances to Sports is a bit drastic!

That’s their average attendance up to 201

anyoldiron79Richard Ballard
    Participant
    Registered On: October 20, 2015
    Topics: 0

I see Gary Hooper had a run out for the Celtic Vets team at the weekend, scoring two goals and getting rave reviews.
    Currently without a club ………
    Assistant manager/playing role?

ironfromafarironfromafar
    Participant
    Registered On: October 10, 2021
    Topics: 19

I see Gary Hooper had a run out for the Celtic Vets team at the weekend, scoring two goals and getting rave reviews.
    Currently without a club ………
    Assistant manager/playing role?

That sounds tasty ..i hope AB still has Hoops number.

AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant

Tom Pugh signed for Halifax, what league are they in!

BigLeftToeBigLeftToe
    Participant
    Registered On: June 6, 2017
    Topics: 6

And their highlight real features one solitary clip of him in a Scunthorpe shirt, delivering a cross into the box about about 3 years ago…which just about sums up his time here!

TheJuryeffsOutTheJuryeffsOut
    Participant
    Registered On: April 1, 2023
    Topics: 11

The reality is that firstly we shouldn’t have been relegated down here and having come down we should have gone back up again. Any of the players on the list we have offered new contracts to can play at least at National League, and Bennett, Carver Pugh and Wilson released are all capable of that level as well.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    TheJuryeffsOutTheJuryeffsOut
    Participant
    Registered On: April 1, 2023

Wouldn’t be surprised to see a couple more leave for a higher league. Probably a good thing better than coming back here with another team to haunt us. The reality is that firstly we shouldn’t have been relegated down here and having come down we should have gone back up again. Any of the players on the list we have offered new contracts to can play at least at National League, and Bennett, Carver, Pugh and Wilson released are all capable of that level as well.

WonderGoalsWonderGoals
    Participant
    Registered On: December 27, 2013
    Topics: 90

Harness said the other players talks are going well so let’s hope they sign. I don’t see how Evans fits in though as he’ll be on a fair wedge and I thought Boyce and Kouogun worked better together. I can’t see Denton and Kelly both been at the club, especially as Kelly will be getting paid a good wage and hardly ever played last season.

Not exactly the best way of spreading the money around after it’s been slashed somewhat.

Iron414Iron414
    Participant
    Registered On: May 30, 2024
    Topics: 0

Agree wonder goals I was surprised to see both Boyce and Evan’s offered new deals, I assumed it would be one or the other. Can think of better ways to spend that budget in light of the players we have lost. Maybe indication of the football we can expect to see under Butler, that he’s prioritising the defence and letting our more creative players go.

Deereyme66Deereyme66

Every single post, intent on criticising the club and sewing seeds of doubt. There were always going to be incomings and outgoings. Let them get out on with it without the micro analysis. You’re charging Butler before he’s had a chance to recruit

8 users thanked author for this post.
    FerriteFerrite
    Participant
    Registered On: December 23, 2013

The reality is that firstly we shouldn’t have been relegated down here and having come down we should have gone back up again. Any of the players on the list we have offered new contracts to can play at least at National League, and Bennett, Carver Pugh and Wilson released are all capable of that level as well.

And then throw in the likes of Fitzsimmons, Roberts, Boyce and others who dropped a division to play for us last season; they weren’t doing that because they’ve always wanted to win the National League North, did they?

mkironMK Iron
    Participant
    Topics: 46

The only “creative” player we have let go is Sembie-Ferris and it seems he wanted to be nearer family. Also he never made the team when we had a full squad.

Butterfield and Elliott were made offers that were either exceeded by offers from elsewhere or matched by more attractive clubs. Elliott rarely made the team with a full squad available either.

So really it’s down to Butterfield that is the miss. He deserves to play his last season or two somewhere higher than pub league level so good luck to him and thanks for some good memories. Tamworth and Boston demonstrate that high level midfield creativity is probably not what gets you promoted from National League North.

Those surprised we offered Boyce and Evans contracts – surely even with Butler’s desire for a smaller squad we need a backup centre back?

All 3 are decent – would be better if one was a left footer but any 2 do a good job at this level.

If everyone else re-signs I reckon we need a keeper, a right back, two athletic midfielders and 2/3 forwards.

NorthumbironNorthumbiron
    Registered On: January 3, 2014
    Topics: 66

If there’s one position Andy knows all about it’s centre-back!

cassidystashcassidystash
    Participant
    Registered On: January 4, 2014
    Topics: 104

Shrimpton signed for another year.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    PaulSanfran49
    Participant
    Topics: 70

So has Barrows. Another 1 year deal.

WonderGoalsWonderGoals
    Participant

We need 2 strikers, 1 RB , 1 GK, 2 wide players and somebody in replace Butterfield.

Deereyme66Deereyme66

Judging by some fans reactions to a few players moving on, we may need a psychiatrist and some opioids.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    WonderGoalsWonderGoals
    Participant

A section of fans were distraught over Ogle leaving and wrote the coming season off when Butterfield left. Ogle not really that fussed about now Barrows has signed . Butterfield even though is a fantastic individual player at this level, I actually think we’ll be better as a unit with a more athletic CM with more energy who can play a bit.

Reading what we’ve read from Butterfield’s wife, Butler wasn’t really that sold on Butterfield and clearly wants to go in a different direction. No doubt we need a more fitter, mobile starting team than last season.

Ogle not really that fussed about, Butterfield you can fully understand and Elliot is replaceable. I should think that with some astute signings to add to what we already have, we’ll be just fine.

Looking forward to this coming season.

Iron-aweIron-awe
    Participant
    Registered On: June 21, 2017

Think our style of play will be different next season and Butterfield maybe doesn’t suit that brief, expect more channel balls hit early and two up top as a regular formation also another winger to go with Roberts and plenty of balls whipped in from out wide. Yes I know we have Jason Law but both him and Roberts will have time out with injury, think that’s a given.

cassidystashcassidystash
    Participant

Yes Roberts and Law to cover RM as long as one is fit. Having both available at the same time would be a bonus.

AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant

Players come and go especially this time of the year, we’ve seen our big 3 move on now we can look forward to there replacements coming in with optimism that’s what a new season is all about.

cassidystashcassidystash
    Participant

we’ve seen our big 3 move on

I think Ross Fitzsimons, Danny Whitehall & Cal Roberts might have something to say about that.

AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant

Sorry Cass i did mean the big 3 out of contract.

WonderGoalsWonderGoals
    Participant

Think our style of play will be different next season and Butterfield maybe doesn’t suit that brief

Exactly what I was thinking. Had to change from last season as we were often over run by part time players as we were too nice to play against.

PaulSanfran49
    Participant
    Topics: 70

Tamworth didn’t have a Butterfield did they ?

Need players able to finish games and able to be selected 2 days later. And that would fit with Andy Butlers statement that players will be much fitter.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.