First First Team

Iron Bru Forums Blast Furnace First First Team

• Author
    cassidystashcassidystash
    Participant
    Registered On: January 4, 2014
    Topics: 104

OK we’ve got a few days to sort it out, Butler doesn’t know his team yet so let’s give him a hand. I’ll go:-
    Fitzsimons
    Kouogan, Evans, Nicholson
    Scales, 2 from (Grogan, Rowley, Clunan), Denton
    Roberts, Whitehall, Carlton
    Pretty unlikely as AB hasn’t got anywhere near that in pre-season.

mkironMK Iron
    Participant
    Registered On: December 23, 2013
    Topics: 46

Accepting 3 centre backs is a given I would agree with Cass on the starting 11 with Rowley missing out for me.

This assumes Denton is properly match fit.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    102HC102hc
    Participant
    Registered On: December 25, 2013
    Topics: 3

I agree with CT

WonderGoalsWonderGoals
    Participant
    Registered On: December 27, 2013
    Topics: 90

Butler has said countless times that we are to play with two strikers so chalk the 3 upfront idea. Roberts playing as an attacking midfielder/no 10 behind whitehall and carlton could work with two central midfielders but it’s first game of the season away at a good side at this level and that would be maybe deemed too attacking.

I’d go with

fitz

Nicholson
    evans
    Max

denton
    scales

Brogan
    clunan
    rowley

Whitehall
    carlton

I’d imagine at home we’d probably ditch Rowley for Roberts and go a bit more attacking.

ironfromafarironfromafar
    Participant
    Registered On: October 10, 2021
    Topics: 19

OK we’ve got a few days to sort it out, Butler doesn’t know his team yet so let’s give him a hand. I’ll go:-
    Fitzsimons
    Kouogan, Evans, Nicholson
    Scales, 2 from (Grogan, Rowley, Clunan), Denton
    Roberts, Whitehall, Carlton
    Pretty unlikely as AB hasn’t got anywhere near that in pre-season.

that would be my starting 11 Cass ..but it is unlikely.

Law for Denton maybe

Roberts may not start, come off the bench when required if AB airs on the side of caution not wishing to loose on opening day..

Off topic … could the season KO be effected by the current unrest in the UK ?? im thinking travel and policing issues .. lets hope not

Iron-aweIron-awe
    Participant
    Registered On: June 21, 2017
    Topics: 11

Regarding the season KO effected by the current unrest in the UK, well hopefully a fair few will be on remand soon and I’m guessing ringleaders not already grabbed will be getting a few dawn raids this week, certainly needs sorting asap.

Iron414Iron414
    Participant
    Registered On: May 30, 2024
    Topics: 0

If we were adopting a system according to our players strengths:-

Fitz
    Denton-Evans-Kougan-Barrows
    Clunan
    Scales-Brogan(or Rowley)
    Law-Carlton-Roberts

The omission of Whitehall is controversial but he’s been poor in preseason so I’d roll the dice with Carlton.

Given 3 (read 5) at the back is a given I think Tash’s line up above is probably as good as it gets in that formation, but being that we’re away and playing a team who will be right up there expect a much more defensive line up, with full backs playing the wing back roles and a more defensive midfield so no Robert’s.

lesgeolesgeo
    Participant
    Registered On: December 25, 2013
    Topics: 96

Jotun selected Kian Scales as Friday’s man of the match following the encounter against Chesterfield.
    I am quite prepared to see Scales start at Brackley but, last season, I often felt a slight sense of letdown from his play.
    He is clearly a decent enough footballer who can: pass, move quickly and show a degree of intelligence. My complaint was always that there was no great amount of end product.
    I am hoping that – if I was seeing it rightly – having AB in charge will allow us to see the lad at his best.

IronaweIronawe
    Participant
    Registered On: December 31, 2013
    Topics: 40

Can see a 2,3 nil reverse on Saturday. I’m not confident about 3-5-2, I know it’s one of the harder formations for players to adapt to and it doesn’t take much for opposition to turn the 3 into a 5. Heart says 2-1 Scunny though

ironfromafarironfromafar
    Participant

As fans we are entitled to our opinions my being no as optimistic as it seems many other are , at full time in the Chorley fixture we should have a better idea as to the seasons expectations.

Im predicting getting 7 or 8 points from the 12 up for grabs from those first 4 fixtures (2 home n 2 away)… followed by 2 difficult games v SS and Kiddy to end August on circa with 11-12 points.

A season of stability finishing 7th to 10th is my prediction.

IronaweIronawe
    Participant

My biggest fear is this division becomes normalised for Scunny, Brackley away wasn’t a tough fixture for 95% of my supporting life. We can pull out the ‘lucky to have a club card’ we’ve (probably) all done our bit to save it as much as we can but long term scrapping for cash and playing these kind of teams is a painful watch

mkironMK Iron
    Participant

Agree Ironawe. Debts now cleared or not quite cleared a club with almost 2,000 season ticket holders and likely in excess of 4,000 home crowds would expect play off places in the National League never mind NLN.

Not winning automatic promotion would be just as big a disappointment as it was last season. Failure to reach the play offs would be a disaster.

I am massively thankful and very proud of all that helped save our club (including my own small efforts) but the time has come to focus on the journey going forward. A journey that needs to end back in the EFL.

I don’t see this as “entitlement” of a big club at this level just simple economics.

ironfromafarironfromafar
    Participant

Good post MK.

Nothing is a given in football , in the most part its all so unpredictable ..passionate fans , crazy results , last minute over head kicks (Bellingham) MAKE IT THE GREAT GAME IT IS.

Whilst i agree on the economics a freak season like Tamworth had can not be legislated for and whose to say there isnt another one of them looming to surprise us all.

Champions and auto promotion would obviously be brilliant being a tad more realistic fingers crossed we can play well score plenty and end up there or there abouts come next April.

One thing is not in any doubt in recent months the turn around in the club in every way has been miraculous now lets get it going forward on the pitch.

UTI

Ex OfficioEx Officio
    Participant
    Registered On: December 28, 2013

Of course it may come down to just how good Brackley turn out to be. Their pre-season includes beating Chesham and Harborough – as well as losing to Quorn and Northampton Town. Hard to call, but assuming it may be our toughest away fixture and therefore planning for a draw to be a good result may not turn out to be the best approach..

IronaweIronawe
    Participant

Could also be that Brackley have a crap season, like Kings Lynn, could be one of the poorer teams,
    It’s so early in the season we should be going out to win these matches.

S11DS11D
    Participant
    Registered On: May 29, 2017

Fitz

Max Evans Nicholson

Barrows Brogan Rowley Law

Roberts

Whitehall Carlton

WonderGoalsWonderGoals
    Participant
    Registered On: December 27, 2013
    Topics: 90

Barrows over Scales at RWB is interesting. A fit Denton has to play LWB surely ?. Only recognized defensive midfielder in Clunan not starting.

S11D, not sure about that line up.

ironfromafarironfromafar
    Participant

Fitz

Max Evans Nicholson

Barrows Brogan Rowley Law

Roberts

Whitehall Carlton

That would be ok with me S11 .. only change Scales for Barrows IMO.

Im guessing Clunan is nailed on to start as he is probably gonna be the captain again this season (i would prefer another capt)

Good points earlier Brackley are unknown and may be not the same team as in recent seasons, AB needs to set up to go out and attack not be cautious and go for a no loss/draw or sit back sneaky 1-0

UTI

FerriteFerrite
    Participant
    Topics: 101

Agree Ironawe. Debts now cleared or not quite cleared a club with almost 2,000 season ticket holders and likely in excess of 4,000 home crowds would expect play off places in the National League never mind NLN.

Important to remember that the club is still operating with at least one hand tied behind its back thanks to Messers Hilton & Swann. Remember the EFL Covid loan? So we definitely won’t be able to make the most of our financial advantage count just yet. And I reckon the owners got their fingers burned by some of Dean’s ridiculous signings towards the end of last season, when the club was already financially stretched thanks to all the signings of last summer, adding players that simply weren’t needed and some of whom never even played.

I think we’ll be competitive this season, not least because we should have a team of players who are a bit more used to playing at this level, and we’ll have a manager who’s got an ounce of footballing sense. Not saying we’ll win the league by any means, but I think we can look forward to the ride.

Apollo11Apollo11
    Participant
    Registered On: September 21, 2023
    Topics: 37

I think we’ll be competitive this season, not least because we should have a team of players who are a bit more used to playing at this level, and we’ll have a manager who’s got an ounce of footballing sense. Not saying we’ll win the league by any means, but I think we can look forward to the ride.

From what I’ve seen in pre-season, I don’t expect promotion.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant
    Registered On: June 20, 2017
    Topics: 160

Thought it was a joke last night so didn’t post, but maybe not supposed to be a gathering on frod road at 12pm today, ironstone are closing and specsavers, best avoided at the best of times maybe more so today, obviously i shall go and have a look it’s only 200 yards away from my house and is my neighborhood after all.

mkironMK Iron
    Participant

Run that by me again Awaywego. What is happening in Frod Road at 12?

ironfromafarironfromafar
    Participant

Thought it was a joke last night so didn’t post, but maybe not supposed to be a gathering on frod road at 12pm today, ironstone are closing and specsavers, best avoided at the best of times maybe more so today, obviously i shall go and have a look it’s only 200 yards away from my house and is my neighborhood after all.

Ironstone …. do you mean the pub AWG ??

AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant

Supposedly protests, Frod road shops shutting the only people out are the asians massing to defend their cultural centre and their shops, police vans going continuously around the area, saw 2 old granny’s on Brit corner but that’s all.
    Think it’s going to be a hoax joke like I said.
    Ironstone centre is a big medical centre behind Ashton house (the old Co-op where Santa used to come) IFA.

AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant

Police on ‘My community alert’ says appears to be false.

cliffbyrnesrightpegCliff Byrne’s Right Peg
    Participant
    Registered On: October 17, 2015
    Topics: 57

Can we confine this shite to the Non football section? There’s enough disinformation on the internet this week to keep people entertained without it creeping onto a football board

3 users thanked author for this post.
    FerriteFerrite
    Participant

Can we confine this shite to the Non football section? There’s enough disinformation on the internet this week to keep people entertained without it creeping onto a football board

I largely agree, although I think there’s a strong argument for this weekend’s football to be cancelled given the state of emergency across England & NI. Even at our level, it’s a lot of Police resource at a time when they’re vitally needed elsewhere to help protect people’s lives.

Participant

It’s a loose connection at best and nothing to do with Scunthorpe’s first team.

FerriteFerrite
    Participant

It’s a loose connection at best and nothing to do with Scunthorpe’s first team.

Loose connection as to whether or not the Scunthorpe first team’s game should or will go ahead?

Participant

The above posts are about Asians supposedly gathering on Frodingham road. If you can link that to Scunthorpe’s first team then you might want to try the Kevin Bacon movie game.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.