Fans forum

Iron Bru Forums Blast Furnace Fans forum

• Author
    Everytime refereePat O’Cake
    Participant
    Registered On: December 27, 2013
    Topics: 17

Nothing to apologise for, I make my mind up based on facts, not from faceless conspiracy theorists in Twitter, if and when David Hilton gives a reason to criticise or give concern I may change my mind until then I am happy for him to carry on trying to sort this mess out.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Deereyme66Deereyme66
    Registered On: May 8, 2017
    Topics: 101

On another thread, Ferrite posted this yesterday, which I think is a more sensible post as opposed to either Pro or anti Hilton stances and broad brush conspiracy theory claims, though of course there has been some unsubstantiated claims, on both sides:

‘I think a healthy dose of scepticism is a pre-requisite for any football fan.

Obviously settling the tax debt was important but, otherwise, what positive signs have you seen since Hilton’s takeover?

Because I would point out the following:
    – Proposing to move the club to Ilkeston – on non-matchdays
    – Proposing to shut down the academy before Tony Daws explained the situation
    – Appointing Jimmy Dean & the scatter-gun transfer policy

If we hadn’t had the Swann era, do you reckon you would be cutting him less slack?’.

Before anyone declares they’re not interested in this or have a different opinion, fine, maybe this isn’t for you, no need to declare it.

Iron-aweIron-awe
    Participant
    Registered On: June 21, 2017
    Topics: 11

On a couple of those points DM, Hilton changed his mind on two of them after listening to fan feedback, whether he should have asked for fan feedback before his original decisions were announced is a point already discussed but the main takeaway is he changed his mind after listening. Regarding JD, well the free transfer bonanza was a gamble that failed but DH obviously thought he had to try something and how much input the new manager had in to that we don’t know for sure. Hilton has said that next season will be the yardstick by which JD will be judged and whether some fans agree that is a good or a bad thing withstanding, the new owner has made his decision as is his right as owner.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    Deereyme66Deereyme66

‘Changing his mind on two of them after listening to fan feedback’ is open to interpretation, whether you agree on that or not.

The transfers were wild and speculative and backfired. That’s plain for anyone to see and how much has it cost the club? Some accounts would be helpful (or if the transfers fell outside that accounting period then an explanation of the funding model would be helpful). Where are the accounts still btw?

Of course it’s his right to stick by JD. No one would argue otherwise, though plenty are questioning it, and rightly so, based on evidence thus far. A disastrous pre-season will have a major impact on the whole of next season and I’ve seen very little from Hilton and Dean that they know what they’re doing.

That’s my opinion I-A, clearly you think differently so little point in us arguing the toss. I’m also not confident this deal’s going to be completed by 24 May either, but that’s another matter, though not unconnected of course.

AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant
    Registered On: June 20, 2017
    Topics: 160

Ferrites post is just as anti Hilton as many others. Positives, he took over the club when many thought we were going to fold or go into administration when others walked away, got the whole town buzzing especially with his a signing an hour through a day, got 5000 home fans to turn up for a game 3000 to away matches within 4days , was prepared to dump the academy to save money that could have gone into the first team and finally get rid of Daws, offering season tickets at one of the cheapest in our league even cheaper than some clubs in leagues below.

fans6464
    Registered On: February 14, 2015
    Topics: 444

you said the same about the last owner before going on rants and abusing everyone who didn’t want to run across football fields breaking the law to get him out

1 user thanked author for this post.
    CMC CMC
    Deereyme66Deereyme66

‘Ferrites post is just as anti Hilton as many others.’

You’ve clearly either not seen many others then that are far more anti-Hilton, or simply got that wrong. I suspect the latter, though I’m not sure you’ve seen a number of posts before they’ve disappeared, because if you had, you’d see Ferrte’s post is far more balanced.

Iron-aweIron-awe
    Participant
    Registered On: June 21, 2017
    Topics: 11

On the point about the accounts DM, was there not a three month extension granted and we are still in that period? Why there was a request for that extension has not be disclosed but I’m guessing it’s quite a normal practice regarding company accounts, unless you know different?

Deereyme66Deereyme66

Think there may have been extension as they’re due to be submitted to Companies House by 30 June. However, Hilton said a number of weeks ago that they would be ‘filed next week’ I believe? Given previous filing history, I think it’s reasonable to raise this.

SideriteSiderite
    Participant
    Registered On: December 12, 2014
    Topics: 78

‘Ferrites post is just as anti Hilton as many others.’

You’ve clearly either not seen many others then that are far more anti-Hilton, or simply got that wrong. I suspect the latter, though I’m not sure you’ve seen a number of posts before they’ve disappeared, because if you had, you’d see Ferrte’s post is far more balanced.

If you’re not forever expressing gratitude to Hilton for becoming owner, and remaining measured about his actual ownership decisions, it means you’re anti-Hilton and wanting the club to fail according to some. ;-)

Deereyme66Deereyme66

In the background to all this is why any property developer / business person would take over a struggling football club they have no affinity with in the first place. If ànyone thinks a person would do that for philanthropic reasons, then I question their reasoning. Just my opinion, but if it’s not to make a personal profit from it, why do it? How does making a club ‘sustainable’ tally with making a profit? I don’t understand the logic. What am I missing? Surely anyone taking over a club sees a way of making a profit at some point. That’s fine by me, but don’t see why I or any other supporters should be mithered in to being eternally grateful.

Deereyme66Deereyme66

Dean aswell; name one quality you’ve seen in him to be a suitable manager? I don’t include ingratiating yourself with supporters, when you see fit, and being ‘one of the lads’ qualities I’d look for.

AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant

Bit of a dumb question there Deerey, why would anyone buy a football club “come on”. His explanation and he did give one in the interview at ilkeston is to save the club and make it sustainable and take all the kudos from doing so, I believe he said leave a legacy as well even though it would cost his family in the long run (can’t be arsed to listen to it again please say if I’ve got it wrong) that’s fair enough in my book, all Swanny wanted to do was build a new ground whether it was at Gainsborough or at Scunny but sadly fell well short, so his legacy is one of abject failure.

Deereyme66Deereyme66

Wow, and you believe everything anyone tells you do you? Even those you know little about? There you go with the insults again already: ‘dumb’. It seems to be a Hilton acolyte trait.

AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant

Come up with a decent explanation for why someone with no affinity to clubs would buy one, then I will apologize Deerey.

Deereyme66Deereyme66

🤣 did I ask for an apology? It was me asking the question in the first place. All you’ve done is repeated what Hilton said in an interview, which of course I saw. Anyway, I rarely understand your logic so no loss.

Everytime refereePat O’Cake
    Participant
    Registered On: December 27, 2013
    Topics: 17

but don’t see why I or any other supporters should be mithered in to being eternally grateful.

Why are posters like you trotting this crap out??? NOBODY has said anyone has to be eternally grateful or hail Mr Hilton for saving our club. From the posts I have read all the sensible people are saying is lets wait and see.

For those making out they know more than us, then tell us what it is you know in full or shut up and move on!

SideriteSiderite
    Participant
    Registered On: December 12, 2014
    Topics: 78

Maybe because people say Hilton’s saved the club in response to any question of a Hilton decision or worry over a plan, particularly on Facebook and Twitter?

I have no problem with wait and see and don’t know if this GP rumour has any basis. So I am not blaming Hilton for anything surrounding this at the moment. However, after Swann I am more cautious and sceptical, and Hilton’s made mistakes so far, and these have caused mistrust among some, along with the bad record on Company’s House. These may have an explanation, but are bound to cause worry among some. Blaming those with worries over legitimate questions (no, not the Hilton is a drugs baron stuff) won’t alleviate concern. There have been attempts by Hilton to stamp his mark on the club, and they have been just as poorly executed and communicated as anything the club has done for the past few years. No twisting of facts needed for justifying a sceptical position for him.

I have said before that I am in Hilton’s group 2 fron his past remarks. I am wanting the club to succeed, which means hoping Hilton’s plans work. This doesn’t mean I won’t refuse to criticise elements I find concerning. I am aware of outlandish claims, but they aren’t the reason for any scepticism. I have a post on here saying why I thought the Ilkeston Iron thing was illogical.

Deereyme66Deereyme66

‘Why are posters like you trotting this crap out??? NOBODY has said anyone has to be eternally grateful or hail Mr Hilton for saving our club. From the posts I have read all the sensible people are saying is lets wait and see.’

Àgain with the insults. There are instances all over social media, including on here, where anyone criticicising or sceptical of Hilton have been met with continual ‘be grateful’ responses, Churchillian at times, rather than a rational discussion. Literally shouted down, by posters, often using the caps lock, and thanked, liked and derided by others. The conspiracy theories have gone too far, but so have those who have shut down sensible discussion. So spare me the similar ‘trotting this crap out’ line, headmaster style rhetoric. Thanks.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    Registered On:
    Topics: 67

Dean aswell; name one quality you’ve seen in him to be a suitable manager? I don’t include ingratiating yourself with supporters, when you see fit, and being ‘one of the lads’ qualities I’d look for.

Coaching qualifications (rumoured he’s on his Level 2) & lack of experience.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    Registered On:
    Topics: 67

Hilton – time will be the judge.

CMCCMC
    Participant
    Registered On: July 14, 2022
    Topics: 32

Somewhere between 850 and 1000 season tickets sold, depending on who you believe, there’s a fair few waiting to see how it all turns out.

adminSST
    Keymaster
    Registered On: December 19, 2013
    Topics: 82

They have managed to shift over 1,000. That comes from a very good source.

Deereyme66Deereyme66

Club Stooges (as many as we can find) with approved questions

Christ on a bike, the guy cannot win!!! He must really be wondering what he has walked into here with some of you lot!

That’s a bit rich from a poster who frequently reminds everyone that he had Swann’s number ‘from day one’. So when others respond critically to Hilton you’re all over them? Do me a favour.

That was based on evidence of Trinity supporters who told us what Swann was like, also anyone with a brain cell could see the way we were throwing money around was only going to end in disaster!

As for Hilton, yes I’m willing to give him the benefit of doubt and time to sort out the mess Swann left behind until he does something to change my opinion, that’s all I can do, lets not forget, Swann took a club over in a far better position to what Hilton did.

Meant to reply to this yesterday. You mention ‘based on Trinity supporters who told us what Swann was like’. My opinion is based on empirical evidence and information from a work colleague closely connected with the long running Bury saga, and a few people with closer connections to the club than I. I find this frequent tarring of others with the same brush, by sections of our supporters, as ‘keyboard warriors’ and accusations of basing their opinions on gossip on social media, tiresome and unconstructive, but it justifies a response. I’m sure some are basing their opinions mainly on social media content. Personally, I’m not.

sufc.not.on.toursufc_not_on_tour
    Participant
    Registered On: December 23, 2013
    Topics: 28

I predict there’ll be many Scunthorpe United fans walking away from Glanford Park on Wednesday evening shaking their heads in disbelief at what they’ve just witnessed.

Deereyme66Deereyme66

Why?

ironinsideriron insider
    Blocked
    Registered On: August 19, 2019
    Topics: 29

saying this for weeks but nobody believes me. deal is off. a complete shit show behind the scenes and we need hilton out asap

Deereyme66Deereyme66

Assuming there’ll be no livestream of the fans forum, is anybody going planning to do live tweets of the main points as they happen? Is anyone from BBC Humberside attending? There are many fans regionaly, nationally and internationally who can’t go but have a huge interest.

AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant

Why? Is the team playing?

NosterNoster
    Participant
    Registered On: July 24, 2017
    Topics: 4

If the deal is off, why hold a forum?

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.