Home Forums The New Blast Furnace Fan Engagement?

ironking
    Participant
    Topics: 63
    Replies: 310

Lots of talk about what Premiership and Championship clubs want, talk too of what Premiership players want (and happy to play behind closed doors).

Lots of Chairman and Chief Executive views. Even the PFA voice being heard.

TV pundits chipping in with their paymasters wants.

Lots of threats about legal actions and challenges and Lawyers getting rich.

Wide acknowledgement that most of the 72 EFL rely on supporters through the turnstiles as the main source of income.

But have we the supporters been asked for our views or opinions on what we believe should happen in the immediate future?

Or has any one of the above expressed an opinion on behalf of what they believe would best benefit football as a whole now and for the future.

2 users thanked author for this post.

Bucksiron
    Participant
    Topics: 275
    Replies: 5048

Supporters are the last thing clubs seem to care about. Premier League clubs threatened by relegation appear to be objecting to the use of neutral grounds because this will “put them at a disadvantage”, which is absolute nonsense given that it will be exactly the same for all of them.

Premier League players are more at risk from dying in their expensive cars than they ever would be from coronavirus.

1 user thanked author for this post.

mistertonmick
    Participant
    Topics: 424
    Replies: 8388

if they use neutral grounds they have to make it the same for everyone, nobody plays a game on their own ground.
    in fact seeing there will be no supporters why not play them on league 1 and 2 grounds.

Ferrite
    Participant
    Topics: 175
    Replies: 2395

Premier League players are more at risk from dying in their expensive cars than they ever would be from coronavirus.

Not true. It’s tiresome to keep pointing this out but it’s worth repeating.

n fact seeing there will be no supporters why not play them on league 1 and 2 grounds.

I’ve been thinking about this quite a bit Mick, I think SUFC should be offering up GP as a potential venue. It’s out-of-town, easily accessible without having to travel through crowded areas. I’m sure the owners of Forest Pines wouldn’t mind if the Premier League wanted to book out their hotel for a couple of months. Especially without a crew, you should be able to get all the camera positions in the stadium you’d need for Premier League game and you’d presume that the PL would be offering a few quid to the rent?

Northumbiron
    Participant
    Topics: 248
    Replies: 10964

Apart from Laurie Cunningham how many PL footballers do you know who died in a car crash? And great was in Spain. Daft comment.

The German League is going to restart next weekend. So we’ll watch and see how that goes.

Sanfran49
    Participant
    Topics: 281
    Replies: 6265

Would love to see Scunthorpe United actually engage with the fans again instead of humouring them. Perhaps our new CEO has a different approach because it has never been more challenging for any club.

scunnypete
    Participant
    Topics: 4
    Replies: 160

Don’t hold your breathe Sanfran, our new CEO seems just like the last or worse. Not even a comment yet from her since being given the job. I know we are in isolation mode at the minute but surely she has internet. I’ve got her down as a female version of sooty.

Northumbiron
    Participant

Soo?

ironlion82
    Participant
    Topics: 52
    Replies: 813

Fan Engagement and Scunthorpe United never seen in the same sentence !

Bucksiron
    Participant

“Not true. It’s tiresome to keep pointing this out but it’s worth repeating.”

Absolute rubbish — the risk of a Premier League player getting the virus let alone dying from it as a result of playing in a game is absolutely negligible.

As for “how many PL footballers do you know who died in a car crash”, do you think that Premier League footballers are any different from anyone else who drives a car, NI? The reason there haven’t been many is because there aren’t many PL players as a proportion of the general population, that’s all. This simply shows how minute the risk to players actually is.

This is what happens because people don’t understand statistics and probability. I’m not criticising people for not doing so because they’re not easy things to grasp but it’s why everyone should always look very carefully at the facts and question what ‘experts’ are coming out with. Remember they have an agenda as well, not least their own career progression.

Cliff Byrne’s Right Peg
    Participant
    Topics: 27
    Replies: 772

“Not true. It’s tiresome to keep pointing this out but it’s worth repeating.”

Absolute rubbish — the risk of a Premier League player getting the virus let alone dying from it as a result of playing in a game is absolutely negligible

10 Serie A players tested positive this week- both from Sampdoria and Fiorentina.

3 users thanked author for this post.

Iron-awe
    Participant
    Topics: 10
    Replies: 4166

Buck’s argument once again shot down in flames with facts, I’m thinking this PR role is getting a little too much for him these days.

Heath
    Participant
    Topics: 36
    Replies: 1909

I agree with others. He continues to spout untruths and then says it’s because nobody else understands.

Northumbiron
    Participant

There’s a wiki page devoted to footballers who have died during their playing career. Some horrendous plane crash statistics. Homicides and a frighteningly high number of suicides. But nowhere on the list is there anyone who died from coronavirus.

So Bucks must be right!

Or then again it just might be that we won’t know until this time next year.

I find it odd that the guy who last month was telling us the sad story of his neighbour who went to a wedding and ended up dying of the virus is now so blasé about it!

THE-99%
    Topics: 887
    Replies: 4218

Supporters are the last thing clubs seem to care about. Premier League clubs threatened by relegation appear to be objecting to the use of neutral grounds because this will “put them at a disadvantage”, which is absolute nonsense given that it will be exactly the same for all of them.

yeah,clubs should have fans on the board and welcome them into AGMs shouldn’t they? would it be a bad chairman that blocked that ?

TwoWrights
    Participant
    Topics: 29
    Replies: 1794

Pah, I opened this thread expecting to read that Pootle and SNOT were tying the knot, hey ho. 😜

It’s our time.

wingsofasparrow
    Participant
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 453

It isn’t just that the footballer might die, because most of them will be fine. It’s that they might then pass it onto someone else, who might not be so lucky. And then to someone else etc. It won’t show up in the statistics as the footballer dying.

But you can’t take a car crash home and infect your family with it.

3 users thanked author for this post.

BloodyRubbishIron
    Participant
    Topics: 32
    Replies: 1816

Bucks is right that we should always question everything, including expertise (though this is reliant on actually having an understanding of what the expertise is saying). This is why I question the expertise of Bucks when he continues to miss the point, which is explained by WOAS above, and I think it’s pretty obvious that Bucks has his own specific agenda when commenting on such topics.

Of course everyone has their own personal views on hot topics, even if they’re researchers into it. The critical thing is that they separate it from their work. Whilst most science can do this I do not believe Bucks does, as is evident by his political positions being evident when he disagrees with experts which contradict it.

Awaywego
    Participant
    Topics: 30
    Replies: 599

didnt see any fan engagement on the andrew marr show we hardly got a mention, palace chairman said footy would be one of safest places of work, what planet his he on doesnt he understand football is a contact sport.

Northumbiron
    Participant

Not anymore Awaywego!

I’ll be waiting for the first player to do down clutching his chest and coughing!

scunnymatt88
    Participant
    Topics: 78
    Replies: 1670

Would love to see Scunthorpe United actually engage with the fans again instead of humouring them. Perhaps our new CEO has a different approach because it has never been more challenging for any club.

I dont think it has anything to do with our new CEO…at the end of the day she like everyone else has to do as swanny says or they get the boot. The ones with at least half a brain know who the main problem is it our club and until that problem is removed then nothing is going to change it will only continue to get worse.

mistertonmick
    Participant
    Topics: 424
    Replies: 8388

I am not sure who hates Peter Swann more scunnymatt, you or alcazar.

scunnymatt88
    Participant
    Topics: 78
    Replies: 1670

I am not sure who hates Peter Swann more scunnymatt, you or alcazar.

It wont just me and alcy…alot more will relise whats going on at our club if they dont already. I want swann and cygnet to clear off to his hotel in blackpool then we can see our club start being a proper football club again rather than the laughing stock of lincolnshire.

cassidystash
    Participant
    Topics: 179
    Replies: 3736

Bucks is right

That’s not something you see on here often is it?

Iron-awe
    Participant

Bucks is right

That’s not something you see on here often is it?

How about extreme right?

Ferrite
    Participant
    Topics: 175
    Replies: 2395

The words of Mario Balotelli a few weeks ago are quite interesting on this topic, it shows how, even if footballers are far from being the most vulnerable, there is still an impact on them:

“I love football more than you but playing means we have to travel by coach, train, plane, sleep in hotels, come into contact with other people outside of the working environment. I already can’t see my children because of this damned virus because, as you know, they don’t live here in Lombary, which is already stressful and sad for me. And of course, more than anything I wouldn’t want my my mother, who I see every day but who is older than me, to end up getting infected and as much as I love football (to which I owe everything), it doesn’t feel right and above all I don’t want to them to catch anything from me. And why? To entertain others? To avoid losing money. Come on, be serious.”

I realise there are plenty of people in badly paid jobs who still have to go to work and have to accept these risks but on the other hand they’re doing something necessary. Is that really the case with footballers?

Bucksiron
    Participant

What an absolute load of cobblers, which has absolutely zero to do with politics.

Of course footballers will have the coronavirus in every country, just as millions of people do across the world. They will also have numerous other diseases and conditions, which they live with completely unaware. At the same time travelling in their cars is putting them — and anyone with them — at much greater risk than coronavirus ever would, whether they catch it or not.

As for WOAS’s point, that, too, makes no sense. If care-workers are prepared to isolate with people in their care, as many are, how difficult would it be for footballers to do exactly the same? Answer, it wouldn’t; and if they’re being paid a fortune then at very least they should be prepared to take some inconvenience for being so fortunate. I can’t see my 91 year old mother at the moment and probably won’t be able to do so for a long time, so what difference is there between me and a professional footballer?

At the same time those professional footballers will be expecting to buy food, produced and sold by people taking far greater risks than playing on a football pitch. Frankly, they’re just pathetic; and given that coronavirus is unlikely to be going away soon these same footballers might find themselves without an income if they fail to man-up soon.

As ever, all you lot do is launch personal attacks against me. In fact you’re just revealing your total ignorance about the true nature of risk while at the same time showing your propensity to offer nothing to a discussion.

TwoWrights
    Participant
    Topics: 29
    Replies: 1794

I see fishing is allowed again! 😁

It’s our time.

Iron-awe
    Participant

I see fishing is allowed again! 😁

It’s our time.

Is there room for a new fishing show on TV, Catch of the Day, featuring Bucksiron?

Pat O’Cake
    Participant
    Topics: 41
    Replies: 1729

these same footballers might find themselves without an income if they fail to man-up soon.

If that quote had been used against somebody suffering with a mental illness there would be hell to pay.

I agree 100% with Ballotelli, football is not essential (and I speak as somebody that loves the game) why any sporting event is even being considered at the moment blows my mind! Maybe the ones who can’t go without football for a few months should “man up”?

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.