False dawn?

Iron Bru Forums Blast Furnace False dawn?

• Author
    mkironMK Iron
    Participant
    Registered On: December 23, 2013
    Topics: 46

Or could we have a real go at this?

Fully match fit I think this line up is upper mid table which is what we need to be for the next 16 games:
    Watson
    Millen Onariase Delaney O’Malley
    Grant
    Sinclair Hackney
    Feeney
    Burns Nuttall

Subs:
    Collins
    Pugh
    Rowe
    Taft
    Bunn
    Pyke
    Beeston

Not totally sure about Millen yet but he had a good game last night and has never really had a good run of games since getting a bad injury 2 minutes into his first game. The young lad from Wolves is a decent alternative if he struggles. Still got Thompson, Gallimore and Lewis to step up for injury cover.

Question is how quickly can we get everyone properly match fit. I see the Swindon game as a free hit to help the new men with game time. Swindon have struggled of late so if we can pick up anything that’s a bonus.

By the time the following home games come around we should be in better shape. Rochdale are not great and Orient are tumbling down the league after a good start to the season so those games are a great opportunity. I think we need 5 or 6 points from these 3 games to keep the hope alive.

My glass is obviously half full this evening.

Watching Villa v Leeds just shows even if you pay £80k a week you might not get players that can defend properly.

SharpShooter24Sharp_Shooter24
    Participant
    Registered On: April 24, 2014
    Topics: 77

I don’t rate Millen at all and I’m starting to worry about the lack of width when we attack.

I want wingers who hug the line, have chalk on their boots etc…
    Stay wide and keep options available for the switch or counter!
    Then it’s all about balls into the box, good quality balls for the front lads to attack

3 users thanked author for this post.
    ironfromafarironfromafar
    Participant
    Registered On: October 10, 2021
    Topics: 19

Or could we have a real go at this?

Fully match fit I think this line up is upper mid table which is what we need to be for the next 16 games:
    Watson
    Grant
    Sinclair Hackney
    Feeney
    Burns Nuttall

Subs:
    Collins
    Pugh
    Rowe
    Taft
    Bunn
    Pyke
    Beeston

My glass is obviously half full this evening.

I will pretty much go with that line up when all fit and available, for sure we will have a better idea come the final whistle at Swindon where in honesty (not dreaming) a point would be a good result.

Hoping the Walsal win boosts belief n confidence.

Walsal sacked Taylor i see ..no real surprise

alcazaralcazar
    Participant
    Registered On: December 24, 2013
    Topics: 50

Lads, lads….🙄

There’s optimism, there’s confidence, there’s belief…then there’s soft as a boat ‘oss.

mkironMK Iron
    Participant

You can tell I had a couple of beers last night watching the Villa game hence my glass was half full.

It’s half empty again this morning. We are not going to move upwards until we can pose a goalscoring threat from free play. Not going to happen unless Feeney, Nuttall, Sinclair and Pyke show us more than we have seen so far.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    Iron-aweIron-awe
    Participant
    Registered On: June 21, 2017
    Topics: 11

All four you mentioned MK are playing the fitness game as is Grant but they are better alternatives to the ones we shipped out, Davies, Kenyon! No thanks! I’m glad they are here and I trust Hills judgement.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    cassidystashcassidystash
    Participant
    Registered On: January 4, 2014
    Topics: 104

I don’t rate Millen at all and I’m starting to worry about the lack of width when we attack.
    I want wingers who hug the line, have chalk on their boots etc…
    Stay wide and keep options available for the switch or counter!
    Then it’s all about balls into the box, good quality balls for the front lads to attack

That doesn’t seem to be Hill’s way at the moment though SS24. He’s currently favouring the midfield diamond which could be because:-
    We don’t have any wingers he trusts and
    We haven’t had a forward that’s won a header in the opponents box for about 3 seasons.
    (Just remembered one from Jarvis, sorry)

BarnardFoxtonBarker..BarnardFoxtonBarker..
    Participant
    Registered On: June 28, 2017
    Topics: 0

I knew a Dawn once and she certainly was not false.

lesgeolesgeo
    Participant
    Registered On: December 25, 2013
    Topics: 96

Good balls into the box from deep? – It’s hard to think how many hundreds of players we’ve had wholly unable to do this – and very few indeed who could.
    Millen does it pretty well. (Better to get to the line and cross from there but …)
    His defending is still open to question, though. With a settled place in the team – we may yet see him at his best.

Iron-aweIron-awe
    Participant

Prefer young Matheson TBH to Millen, I think he has more energy and is more of an asset but Millen on Tuesday night was an improvement on Millen against Oldham. I just think he’s not consistent enough but I guess that’s the lack of quality issue again.

WonderGoalsWonderGoals
    Participant
    Registered On: December 27, 2013
    Topics: 90

Watson
    Grant
    Sinclair Hackney
    Feeney
    Burns Nuttall

Terrible line up. Telling you now that if we go with Sinclair who’s really an attacking midfielder and play him in the middle of the park with Hackney we’d get played straight through.

Playing that formation Hackney will be ok next to Pugh or Gallimore with Grant sitting but not Sinclair in there. I’d have listed Beestin but he still doesn’t look right to me.

I’d like to see burns and Nuttall up top but think Hill will keep with this 4/3/3

WonderGoalsWonderGoals
    Participant

Not going to happen unless Feeney, Nuttall, Sinclair and Pyke show us more than we have seen so far.

Given them chance to get fit first. Nuttall has played 1 90 minutes in 2 years and 2 lots of 50 mins with one of them being against a no mark team in the Lincs cup.

You have to be reasonable with these players. In an ideal world they’d spark into life and play brilliantly but it will take a bit of time as they’re clearly still rusty.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    Registered On:
    Topics: 13

Allo Allo

Rochdale
    Northampton
    Sutton

One point maximum to be harvested from the remaining February crop.

Dawn has set sail in to the sunset!

ironfromafarironfromafar
    Participant

well adrift at the bottom now and with others such as Oldham Carlisle seemingly improving ..SCORING SOME GOALS to be more accurate, ..it appears the fat lady named Dawn is tuning up for her full concert at GP possibly by early or mid March.

lesgeolesgeo
    Participant
    Registered On: December 25, 2013
    Topics: 96

Think howg reat we’ll all be feeling after back-to-back wins in our next two home games.

PaulSanfran49
    Participant
    Topics: 70

False dawn ? Well that started when Peter Swann got control, but that will be a recurring nightmare until he has gone.

15 games left – so get back to 442, back to basics and go for a win in EVERY game. Still think we aren’t and there is why we are continuing to fail !

1 user thanked author for this post.
    RoamingBullRoamingBull
    Participant
    Topics: 4

The Albatross headed our way years ago just doing it’s final lap of GP.

The ship will sink soon enough and will struggle to be raised.

See the teams that are down in the National league with the money they are spending to get out with gates far greater than ours and are still struggling.
    Unfortunately too many folk have left to never return.
    Could forgive the OSG scruffiness,Loved going to OSG. GP for me has never really had it since the corner got home fans went.
    Now it’s just so stale everyone spends more time chatting and on there mobile phones due to the fayre on offer.

From being one of the most envious small clubs to this in such a short space of time.
    It’s a truly sad and angry time to be an Iron fan.

4 users thanked author for this post.
    ironfromafarironfromafar
    Participant

even with all its dated facilities,faults n cracks i prefered the Old Show Ground to GP ,,Donny road end n the walk from Brit to the ground there was an atmosphere that GP never really had or will never have again at GP.
    It was a more entertaining better value way to spend a few hours ……..i much preferred the away days after moved to GP a way better gig.

hennyoldironOldiron
    Participant
    Registered On: October 19, 2017
    Topics: 3

Happy days indeed down at the OSG with Grandad. Always recall Spanish Flea being played pre match- funny how a tune sticks with you 50 years later !!! Then entering teenage years I felt like a big lad being allowed in the donny road end with mates.Also had great times at Glanford Park ( NOT the sunny seaside sand venue entertainement place) with son. With also great away days under King Addo.
    What is going on is truly tragic. It has been predicted for a few years now but it is finally coming.
    Sadly,every great thing has its day and im afraid that day is nearly there. Thank God for memories !!

cassidystashcassidystash
    Participant
    Registered On: January 4, 2014
    Topics: 104

Prefer young Matheson TBH to Millen, I think he has more energy and is more of an asset

100 lines for you Iron-awe:-
    I apologise unreservedly to Ross Millen for posting this
    I apologise unreservedly to Ross Millen for posting this

Iron-aweIron-awe
    Participant

Yeah maybe Cass but I don’t write off young players because of the odd mistake or odd poor game, it happens to youngsters. Grant you Millen has improved of late but wouldn’t be surprised if he’s shown the door in May. We just need better then him but of course our budget next season will be £500,000 less won’t it, so maybe like relegation we will continue to have to accept the dross that comes with it.

WonderGoalsWonderGoals
    Participant

I have to disagree there ironawe. I’ve bashed Millen in the past but he’s never really had a proper run of games due to injuries. Millen’s impressed me of late. I think he’s playing pretty well.

I won’t say Millen’s our best ever RB because I’d be lying, but he’s way better than Matheson who looks a fecking death trap.

One gripe I have with Hill is that he keeps playing odd players out of position. Why did he not play Lewis at LB who was fit and had 2 games rest prior to Swindon ?

As Mick said further up, we should go 4/4/2. Same back 4. Grant in the middle with Beestin. Feeney and Sinclair out wide with Nuttall and Burns upfront.

I will go back to playing odd players strangely out of position as my number 1 annoyance though, it really wasn’t needed yesterday at all..not with young Lewis fit.

ironfromafarironfromafar
    Participant

i get the team sheet via a notification as it is posted and some times i have to do a double take or think theres a mistake as Hill has played players out of position quite often .. the Swindon line up was a tad strange.
    IMO
    decent keeper
    Manny n Delaney pretty solid
    Grant experienced a good player we snagged
    from there on it seems to go pear shaped with little midfield creativity pace on the wings and cant score a goal for toffee.

Bearing in mind we will more than likely be in the NL next season ive started following it more n more .. its real tight at the top with only 1 auto promo spot and another via a difficult play off route.

Any members on here care to offer a prediction on who will be promoted from the NL this term??

Im going for Stockport cos of there money and Bromley with the bigger boys Chesterfield , Wrexham, Notts County etc all missing out and in the mix with Scunny next season … OH not forgetting the Cods .. their fans are bouyant again after 2 wins and crowing how they will go up visa the NL play off route I HOPE NOT

alcazaralcazar
    Participant
    Topics: 50

I hope they do…from what I’ve seen of some of their attacking play this season, ( on you tube), they’ll do for us next year.

vadervader
    Participant
    Registered On: October 21, 2017
    Topics: 6

I think most teams in the NL will “do for us”

The squad we have now would be pulverised in the NL, most of them would struggle to get in a team in the top half.

Deereyme66Deereyme66
    Registered On: May 8, 2017
    Topics: 101

We’d definitely struggle against top half teams and I think that’s the future.

mkironMK Iron
    Participant

Given we have been struggling against the bottom teams the last 3 seasons it might be something to look forward to.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.