David Hilton Interview

Iron Bru Forums Blast Furnace David Hilton Interview

• Author
    adminSST
    Keymaster
    Registered On: December 19, 2013
    Topics: 82

The temporary lease is up shortly so it’s either pay up or move out!

1 user thanked author for this post.
    AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant
    Registered On: June 20, 2017
    Topics: 160

Is that for the burger van?

TheJuryeffsOutTheJuryeffsOut
    Participant
    Registered On: April 1, 2023
    Topics: 11

And the only ones causing the division are?

I don’t think anyone is causing division, it’s football – people have opinions whether about management, players, formations, refs or how green the mushy peas are on their pie. The majority seem happy with Mr Hilton buying the club and his recent explanations about what is going to happen, fair enough.
    Personally I’m disappointed that the immediate plan is to run it as an NLN club with the entire day to day infrastructure based 70 miles away. I would have preferred it if the owner presented the club as a previously mismanaged League club, which has fallen to this depth but is now planning to get the heck back up as soon as possible, not experimenting with cast off Midlands academy players. But he isn’t and he doesn’t have to, he’s bought it.
    I’m sad for youngsters from the area that there won’t be an academy. It isn’t just about producing the next big money sell on, it is a major link between community and club.
    I don’t buy the Ilkeston move reasons. I get that Mr Hilton is obviously proud of what’s been done at Ilkeston but honestly I’m not interested in seeing it any more than I am at looking at Nottingham Forest’s or Tottenham’s.
    Sorry but from the Nelson radio interview, Dean, bizarre player comings and goings, rumours, twitter abandoned, rumours confirmed, academy closed by internet announcement to the Ilkeston move I have to say I am very worried, and that sir is my opinion.

6 users thanked author for this post.
    AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant

It’s caused enough division in some to say they aren’t going to get a season ticket again or pay to watch games again, that’s not just an opinion is it sir. That’s not my opinion it is stating what those trying to cause division have said nothing more nothing less.

WonderGoalsWonderGoals
    Participant
    Registered On: December 27, 2013
    Topics: 90

The temporary lease is up shortly so it’s either pay up or move out!

I’m guessing the temporary lease finishes on the date he gave previously in which the takeover will be fully completed on, may 24th ?

adminSST
    Keymaster
    Registered On: December 19, 2013
    Topics: 82

Shortly after

ironfromafarironfromafar
    Participant
    Registered On: October 10, 2021
    Topics: 19

It’ll be permanently temporary.

RE TRAINING OVVER YONDER … Yes Rene thats how i see it panning out … i hope the 4 podcast GUYS push this when they film later this week IN ILKESTON.

Everytime refereePat O’Cake
    Participant
    Topics: 17

You only see the board advertiser’s on match day Cass why would they need a refund or want one.

Training days, restaurant days, shopping days, stadium tour days. People pay for exposure.

What are you talking about??? None of those things happen currently, people pay for matchday advertising…NOTHING else! So there is no reason anyone would ask for a refund!

Same applies to the stadium naming rights mentioned on another thread, training elsewhere has zero impact on what the stadium is called.

4 users thanked author for this post.
    Anonymous
    Inactive
    Registered On:
    Topics: 59

It’ll be permanently temporary.

RE TRAINING OVVER YONDER:

I hope the 4 podcast GUYS push this when they film later this week IN ILKESTON.

The new centre of the universe.
    There’s a rumour that parliament may relocate there too.
    More central.
    Better facilities.
    Better beer.
    Better politicians.

Everytime refereePat O’Cake
    Participant
    Topics: 17

Displacement of tribes from their ancestral homelands never ends well.
    Ask the Native American Indians!

Can you imagine standing on the terrace for a home game chanting ‘Scunthorpe, Scunthorpe, Scunthorpe’, yet you’re in Ilkeston, Derbyshire!

Have I missed the interview where Hilton said we will be playing games at Ilkeston???

ironfromafarironfromafar
    Participant

how using GP only on match days will operate needs to also be an issue put to DH in the up coming podcast ,,i hope the guys that do the cast dont get all giddy n go soft on him as the event is staged in the promised land.

I will predict now most pre season friendlies and non league cup competitions will be played at Ilkeston (except for the ones against Botesford , Cods etc.)

Anonymous
    Inactive
    Registered On:

Speculation, reading between the lines, gut feeling, life experience, noseying around on the net, Déjà vu, psychological foresight, cynicism.

I pray I’m wrong.

A 20,000 seater New Show Ground in Scunthorpe, with A*+ training facilities and a team in the top half of the Championship, playing in front of a full house is what we all hope for!

What a great Swann song & legacy that would be!

Oh, erm… stop rewind… haven’t we…

Anonymous
    Inactive
    Registered On:

how using GP only on match days will operate needs to also be an issue put to DH in the up coming podcast ,,i hope the guys that do the cast dont get all giddy n go soft on him as the event is staged in the promised land.

I will predict now most pre season friendlies and non league cup competitions will be played at Ilkeston (except for the ones against Botesford , Cods etc.)

Agreed.
    Yeah, you don’t have to be Merlin to know that.

Merlin sickness – travelling (time wise) in the opposite direction to mere humans does have its advantages.

fans6464
    Registered On: February 14, 2015
    Topics: 444

Anyway I’ll ask again,did he or did he not originally say he’d bought the lot,ground included?

Iron-aweIron-awe
    Participant
    Registered On: June 21, 2017

Anyway I’ll ask again,did he or did he not originally say he’d bought the lot,ground included?

Same reply as last time.

AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant

Fa cup games can’t be just changed without permission from the fa and there unlikely to give it that would be more or less letting an owner have an interest in another club which isn’t allowed one club only, normally the grounds for changing the staging of the game is to allow a bigger crowd safely, not the other way around 8000 down to 3000 not going to happen numptys.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    Registered On:

“In 10 years we haven’t had any players that we’ve had a sell on clause for, which in my eyes doesn’t show a great deal of success.”
    Telegraph.

CEO / Club Secretary’s incompetence – contracts & sell on clauses aren’t the remit of the Academy.

The only reason players have being leaving since relegation from the EFL is that they (players & parents) are educated about the EFL funding process.
    They know how academies, the schoolboy program and the Apprentice journey works.

EFL Parents Handbook 2022-23:

https://www.efl.com/siteassets/efl-documents/youth-development-academy-parents-carers-handbook-2022-23-e-book-version.pdf

They have the intelligence & foresight to understand that the club was / is going tits up and that their sons ain’t going to make it as a pro at a non-league club.

The bigger birds of prey are always circling the nests of those lower down the food chain.

The further you fall down the pyramid the more flawed the players are that you can attract.

Mr Hilton may need bringing up to speed with how players are assessed and how their developmental needs are identified at academies.

A good starting point:

https://learn.englandfootball.com/articles/resources/2022/the-fa-4-corner-model

Mr Hilton is entitled to do what he likes with his club – it’s his money.

However, his youth idea is flawed.

At NLN, the best U18 releases Scunthorpe could hope to pick up are players who have been released by Grimsby & Doncaster.

Even then, they are more likely to drop down to NL level with York, Oldham, County, Halifax and Chesterfield.

It’s a food chain – and we’re at the bottom.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    Registered On:

The SUFC thread on the New Fishy Forum continued to receive plenty of contributions.

Here’s what one guy/gal has just said about the statement and the pod cast by Max Bell & his chums the other day:

“That statement could’ve been written by Fenty.

It doesn’t really say anything other than what any normal scunny fan would think anyway. Sceptical, they’re putting themselves in the sceptical camp? intercourse me, you’re meant to represent the club, it’s fans more so and you’re only sceptical.

Grow a pair ya flipping melts and go after them, after them all and demand some flipping clarity. Swann set your club into a death spiral and this flipping idiot Hilton doesn’t seem much better. These measures aren’t just cost cutting, they’re club killing so demand answers.

The levels of ambivalence are terrifying. It was bad enough at town, all those idiots swallowing the fenty nonsense but this is flipping disgraceful. They should be wanting blood…”

Anonymous
    Inactive
    Registered On:

The 2nd interview at Ilkeston:

“I buy land & property for a living”

“I buy land & property for a living”

“I buy land & property…”

“I buy…”

What is Mr Hilton’s worth?
    Is he wealthy enough to be a football philanthropist – spending his money for the greater good of Scunthorpe and to put a smile on people’s faces?

The Sunday Times estimated the Swann’s wealth to be £340M in 2013.

How much is Mr Hilton’s wealth?

If the club has to be self sustaining – then that would suggest he’s not ‘minted’?

Lord KitchenerLord Kitchener
    Participant
    Registered On: December 24, 2013
    Topics: 36

Ok, so the plan to move the training of our players to Ilkeston has been abandoned. I don’t know if there is still time to save the academy.

The main problem for me is playing in NLN next season. Only one promotion place to play for, it’s like an elephant’s graveyard. I fear we might get stuck with it…

Anonymous
    Inactive
    Registered On:

It’s another ’Quicksand League’

Two up – Four down.

NorthumbironNorthumbiron
    Registered On: January 3, 2014
    Topics: 66

In case you hadn’t noticed there’s only one automatic promotion place in the NL too!

Anonymous
    Inactive
    Registered On:

“I have a plan”

How about informing us of it?

Post the plan, a mission statement, the vision for the club and the clubs philosophy, values & culture on the OWS.
    Then we all know what’s what.

ironfromafarironfromafar
    Participant

much happier since the DH Ironarmy podcast gig and decided to be more positive towards the new owners efforts, i liked what he said.
    Looks like JD is here to stay but he does know hes got to get results as i get the feeling Hilts wont take too much shit if things go wrong.
    I would like to know a bit more about DH plan moving forward but suppose all will be revealed over the next season or so.

Interested BystanderInterested Bystander
    Participant
    Registered On: April 9, 2023
    Topics: 15

First of all I will make it perfectly clear that I am not a Scunthorpe United supporter, although I am a football supporter and have a keen interest in the wider issue of mis-management in football and the reasons behind the demise of some clubs. Sadly the club that I support has suffered from gross incompetence, mis-management and I suspect, probably worse.

I listened to the recent interview with David Hilton and a few things raised questions.

1) To buy any football club you need deep pockets, Hilton acknowledges the point in his interview. Most people with substantial wealth, the sort required to own and finance a football club have a business background, a clear path of how their wealth has been accrued. Given that Hilton is 45 years of age, I would expect some trading history of at least 10-15 years and for the companies under his control to have a balance sheet with a positive net asset value of at least 7-figures.

2) Hilton’s previous name (David White). Again, Hilton acknowledges his previous name but fails to explain the reasons for it other than it was personal. From my experience, most people change their names for two reasons, they don’t want to be found (in Hilton’s case we can probably rule this out given his involvement at Ilkeston and at your club) or they don’t want to be associated with their past.

3) Hilton, in the closing part of the interview states that if there is any evidence about him to bring it to him so it can be discussed. For me, this was a peculiar thing to say.

4) Companies House, Google, thegazette.co.uk, social media and Credit Reference Agencies are usually a good starting point for any supporter wanting to conduct some basic due diligence on those involved with their club or those who are looking to get involved.

5) If you are unfortunate to hold a senior position at a club, say Director or Co. Secretary you can usually submit a background request with a Police Force and related agencies with varying degrees of success without too much trouble.

6) A simple Google search of David White and Andy Nally (name of current Chairman at Ilkeston) throws up an interesting thread (https://whocallsme.com/Phone-Number.aspx/08456806308) dating back to 2011. There are 23 pages of this but they are worth persevering with.

7) Judging by Hilton’s comments, there is clearly an element of mistrust that exists between part of your fanbase and him. He would be better addressing those concerns by explaining the reasons for his name change, his business background and how he has accrued sufficient wealth to purchase and finance the day-to-day running of a loss making football club because it is far from obvious in my opinion). If he fails to do so, the concerns of the silent majority will grow to being the suspicions of the majority.

Keep your eyes peeled and I will wish you the very best of luck.

5 users thanked author for this post.
    Iron-aweIron-awe
    Participant
    Registered On: June 21, 2017

Thanks codhead.

cliffbyrnesrightpegCliff Byrne’s Right Peg
    Participant
    Registered On: October 17, 2015
    Topics: 57

Interested Bystander: good points raised. In all honesty, most of us are conveniently avoiding these questions as we all know it’s probably not going to make for a nice read. A shame we don’t have a strong local newspaper to follow up these leads anymore.

I’ve spoken with Ilkeston fans and their reviews are nothing but positive, in terms of evidence, that’s all we can really form an opinion on at the moment.

I may be wrong ( and I hope I am wrong), but I’ve got a feeling in my gut that things might go tits up when the ground completion is due.

ironfromafarironfromafar
    Participant

Interested Bystander: good points raised. In all honesty, most of us are conveniently avoiding these questions as we all know it’s probably not going to make for a nice read. A shame we don’t have a strong local newspaper to follow up these leads anymore.

I’ve spoken with Ilkeston fans and their reviews are nothing but positive, in terms of evidence, that’s all we can really form an opinion on at the moment.

I may be wrong ( and I hope I am wrong), but I’ve got a feeling in my gut that things might go tits up when the ground completion is due.

Last sentence ..my thoughts exactly ……hope im wrong too.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    Registered On:

Profit & Loss.

Will he make enough profit to compensate for the loss of his health & happiness due to all the stress and hassle?

The fact that his accountants haven’t looked at the ‘books’ yet opens a convenient exit door should he choose.

TheJuryeffsOutTheJuryeffsOut
    Participant
    Registered On: April 1, 2023

Interested Bystander – The alarm bell is already ringing for me and with some others but it seems the majority are relieved the club seems to be saved and don’t want to look too deep and are happy to accept what he says. Time will tell.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.