David Hilton Interview

Iron Bru Forums Blast Furnace David Hilton Interview

• Author
    ironfromafarironfromafar
    Participant
    Registered On: October 10, 2021
    Topics: 19

im quite surprised as to the seemingly unfazed opinions from Iron fans on DH announcement to move training to Ilkeston PURELY ON THE BACK OF THE CURRENT TRAINING FACILITY IS FIT FOR PURPOSE ,this is my issue its been ok for years of success and more recently abject failures but why the sudden need after relegation to move ? there are local options but they are being ignored , yes a severe staff cull is needed but IMO SUFC in its entirety should stay in the town and i see this as the first step for that not to happen.
    Opening GP only on match days is just gash and the local fan base will drift away as will any grass roots interest that was seen at the recent home game.

There is more to this training move than meets the eye .. reading other people (not connected to the club) on it all is rather sobering.

MY possible outcome senarios ….. call it conspiracy theory or not its what i think may unfold.

Training to Ilk
    Match days only at GP
    Pre season and cup games played at ILK
    All surrounding land inc car park SOLD leaving the ground an unsustainable poorly maintained isolated eyesore possibly still with Swans name tagged to it…within 1 or 2 years that too will be sold and demolished and replaced with retail units or even a slaughter house such as the hatchet job done on the club.
    No new training facility will ever be sourced in Scunny regardless if rented of developed by the club.
    In time everything will move to ILK and at that point a phoenix club will emerge in Scunny much the same as Bury.

On the footballing side .. all the youngsters like Wilson , Poulter , Foster will go with very few of the others remaining , JD with a totally blank canvas so at least several years in NLN.

Astute businessman or savior DH bought SUFC , saved the club, alas maybe his property developing background seeing the potential swayed him knowing if the club get relegated n go tits up he could always revert to plan B .. merge move with pockets full of doe from land sales n development at the expense of the football club he ‘bought to save”..i say this as a fellow business man operating in a very difficult part of the world and in a volatile market.. theres always a plan B

Finally ..i truly hope im totally wrong and SUFC remain in the town, so much history and memories from my days at TOSG and GP ..its so sad to see what has become of this great little club.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    Everytime refereePat O’Cake
    Participant
    Registered On: December 27, 2013
    Topics: 17

its been ok for years of success

I was under the impression we trained at Grove Wharf during the successful years? The move to the side of the motorway coincided, with the clubs implosion and tumble down the leagues?

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Everytime refereePat O’Cake
    Participant
    Topics: 17

The club couldn’t continue to operate as it was. There is no denying that. That said, I am astonished how well the plans have been received. I have not seen many people in the wider footballing community that think any part of this plan is a good idea.

What would you have done differently?

adminSST
    Keymaster
    Registered On: December 19, 2013
    Topics: 82

We trained on Wharton’s land and in the rat infested shed whilst we were in the Championship, but let’s not forget we had two years at the top of league one using the current facility.

5 users thanked author for this post.
    ironfromafarironfromafar
    Participant

I was not aware training was at Grove Wharf on a regular basis

Even with the club in such a shit state all this talk about the importance of training does make me chortle.

Sub standard players, inexperienced youngsters and more worrying way too many at the club on loan who dont give a toss and zero pride wearing the shirt as means little to them other than a wage packet.

This bunch could be given the England training set up and throw in Pep Guardiola and would it make an haypeth ov difference due to level of talent they seem to have (see polishing a turd thread) ..yet now after relegation training is of such importance it needs to be moved.

opening phase of a chess game .. and im willing to bet given the option or a vote a very high percentage of Scunny fans would not want this to happen and for the club in its entirety to remain in the town and local community…

IMO over time a few months maybe a year general interest and the fan base will just dwindle to the point where the club will just be a non entity.

ironfromafarironfromafar
    Participant

We trained on Wharton’s land and in the rat infested shed whilst we were in the Championship, but let’s not forget we had two years at the top of league one using the current facility.

Exactly ..DH words re the current training facility being unfit for purpose hold little water when its been fine for so many years and possibly way better than many other clubs in and around the same level NL / NLN

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Anonymous
    Inactive
    Registered On:
    Topics: 59

its been ok for years of success

I was under the impression we trained at Grove Wharf during the successful years? The move to the side of the motorway coincided, with the clubs implosion and tumble down the leagues?

Didn’t ‘Uncle Steve’ even fit under soil sprinklers on one of those pitches?
    My befuddled memory may betray me?

Anonymous
    Inactive
    Registered On:

Rats as big as cats with all that grain to munch on.

barriethomasbarriethomas
    Participant
    Registered On: December 24, 2013
    Topics: 41

We played in ‘The Barn’. It was an awful facility. UTWI

Anonymous
    Inactive
    Registered On:

Exactly ..DH words re the current training facility being unfit for purpose hold little water when its been fine for so many years and possibly way better than many other clubs in and around the same level NL / NLN

“He that is good for making excuses is seldom good for anything else.”
    Benjamin Franklin.

The land is worth money as a field.
    It’s worth much more money with a number of fancy Dan retail outlets on it.

Why would any person desire to purchase a football club 70 miles and 1 hour 20 minutes from their residence when they already own a football club whom next season will be operating just one division lower than SUFC and that is only 10 miles and 20 minutes away?

Ilkeston are just going to miss out on the play offs in their first season at that level.

Chew on this – if Ilkeston have a barnstorming season and are promoted and SUFC suffer another fate worse than a fate worse than death and are relegated again;
    Ilkeston in season 2024/25 would actually be playing at a higher level than SUFC!

SUFC has a big foot print, lots of land with development potential.

Older stadia were penned in by terraced housing and have no land – so, a club like Grimsby etc wouldn’t be of interest.

Could it be the land that’s the motivator not the football club.

GP is in the way; the council probably would be relieved if it was knocked down.

There’s money to be had in development / redevelopment!

Here’s a tasty ‘little’ contract:

https://www.theconstructionindex.co.uk/news/view/galliford-try-lands-scunthorpe-market-redevelopment?amp=1

cassidystashcassidystash
    Participant
    Registered On: January 4, 2014
    Topics: 104

A few weeks ago we were offering a great advertising opportunity in the form of stadium naming rights. I guess that’s now no longer an attractive proposition (if it ever was) and another loss of potential income. Will all the board advertisers around GP be refunded?

AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant
    Registered On: June 20, 2017
    Topics: 160

You only see the board advertiser’s on match day Cass why would they need a refund or want one.

mkironMK Iron
    Participant
    Registered On: December 23, 2013
    Topics: 46

Did I miss the part of the interview where Hilton said he is moving us from playing somewhere we can pull in 3,000 crowds despite 5 years of shite to somewhere where their own towns team pull in 700?

If Hilton thought he could sustain a National League or higher team at Ilkeston he wouldn’t have tried to buy Bury or SUFC.

Unless of course he is an even bigger idiot than his predecessor. Which is very hard to believe.

It would have been much cheaper to fund Ilkeston a couple of promotions than to buy our club and still have to fund a couple of promotions.

It’s a personal opinion but as a supporter I don’t give a toss where the team train. According to our last half dozen managers we have been great at training but sh1te in matches. I would like like us to become better at the bit I pay to watch. Never been to watch training in my near 60 years of watching the Iron.

For balance the thing that does concern me about Mr Hilton is that (if true) then letting people know they are losing their jobs via the media rather than face to face is an absolute disgrace.

4 users thanked author for this post.
    Anonymous
    Inactive
    Registered On:

Displacement of tribes from their ancestral homelands never ends well.
    Ask the Native American Indians!

Can you imagine standing on the terrace for a home game chanting ‘Scunthorpe, Scunthorpe, Scunthorpe’, yet you’re in Ilkeston, Derbyshire!

cassidystashcassidystash
    Participant
    Registered On: January 4, 2014
    Topics: 104

You only see the board advertiser’s on match day Cass why would they need a refund or want one.

Training days, restaurant days, shopping days, stadium tour days. People pay for exposure.

mkironMK Iron
    Participant
    Registered On: December 23, 2013
    Topics: 46

I get the stadium tour thing at Wembley, Camp Nou, San Siro etc.

Glanford Park not so much.

How many other tier 6 clubs sustain either a full time restaurant or shop?

Hard though it is we need to start accepting the reality of what has been done to our football club and all of the unpleasant consequences that go with it.

Let’s try not to forget where the responsibility for the demise of the club belongs.

And it’s not David Hilton or Jimmy Dean.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    Registered On:

I get the stadium tour thing at Wembley, Camp Nou, San Siro etc.

Glanford Park not so much.

Ilkeston are big on them… ask Patrick 👍

AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant

Training days? There’s no shopping inside the ground for you to see the boards, The only stadium tour I had was when I was a mascot then it was limited to the west stand only, has anyone said the restaurant is closing? Being a board advertiser allows your company to put logos on all vehicles, always seeing “Bob Downie proud sponsors of Scunthorpe united” (roofing) around town so they get exposure in more ways than one, Most would leave it at status quo I am one of them but let’s not make a big deal out of it, it would appear though a stadium tour maybe 3/4 times a year might go down well numbers permitting of course and reasonably priced and food outlet to boot.

ironfromafarironfromafar
    Participant

It appears Mr Hilton has agreed to sit down with these guys to discuss things in the next few days , should be quite interesting.

cliffbyrnesrightpegCliff Byrne’s Right Peg
    Participant
    Registered On: October 17, 2015
    Topics: 57

Who is going to ask for a refund because their advertising board wont be seen due to a lack of stadium tours at GP? Or training days whatever they are.

If anything the club should be charging more because we are getting nearly an extra 1,000 punters through the door on a Saturday now Swann has gone.

NorthumbironNorthumbiron
    Registered On: January 3, 2014
    Topics: 66

The alternative is

Reckon that would be. Phoenix Club, Wimbledon stylee!

WonderGoalsWonderGoals
    Participant
    Topics: 90

As long as Hilton buys the surrounding land and the rest of the assets by may 24th or whenever it is and puts forward clear plans as to a estimated time scale of when this training facility will be built then I won’t have a problem.

What I don’t want us to do is move train in Ilkeston and then for Hilton not to put plans forward and have any urgency to build a training facility locally. I hope this move to train over there is a just a stop gap and doesn’t become a permanent fixture.

4 users thanked author for this post.
    Anonymous
    Inactive
    Registered On:

It’ll be permanently temporary.

barriethomasbarriethomas
    Participant
    Registered On: December 24, 2013
    Topics: 41

It will certainly confuse opposition fans who often sing ‘You dirty Yorkshire B******s’

NorthumbironNorthumbiron
    Registered On: January 3, 2014
    Topics: 66

But they’ll be spot on when they chant “Shit ground; no fans!”

XxxXxx
    Participant
    Registered On: May 27, 2017
    Topics: 3

But they’ll be spot on when they chant “Shit ground; no fans!”

not a happy chap

BarnardFoxtonBarker..BarnardFoxtonBarker..
    Participant
    Registered On: June 28, 2017
    Topics: 0

Mr D Hilton White Swann or whatever he’s calling himself today needs to realise we are Scunthorpe United and not or want to be Ilkeston Iron/Scunthorpe and Ilkeston Sports. The clue is in the name Scunthorpe United not Scunthorpe Divided.

AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant

And the only ones causing the division are?

FLTFLT
    Participant
    Registered On: May 29, 2022
    Topics: 0

At least Swann put millions in to try and get you to the promised land before taking the stadium and land hiltons telling you he’s taking the land first

AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant

Bring back Swann he wasn’t all bad (whoops he hasn’t left yet) well up untill he pissed the fans off for not fulfilling promises, this guy Hilton carrying through things he as said, I’m not having that ffs.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.