David Hilton Interview

Iron Bru Forums Blast Furnace David Hilton Interview

• Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive
    Registered On:
    Topics: 59

If the Brexit referendum was a football club it would be called Scunthorpe United!

If SUFC was a television program, it’d be Monty Pythons Flying Circus.

SideriteSiderite
    Participant
    Registered On: December 12, 2014
    Topics: 78

Wow,the people he was talking about are very noisy already.

If you’re including me in that, I can say that I have now listened to the interview and left it pleased and reassured. I will also think you’ll find he was laying most blame at outsiders, like Bury fans, for causing issues. I don’t think there are any Bury fans on here, so I doubt the people he was talking about are on here.

I know some will say it’s only words, like we had with Swann, so why trust it? However, anyone coming in will only have words until they back it up with action and we can’t just distrust anyone right from the off. We should ask questions and have scepticism, this is healthy, but we can’t write him off. My concern stemmed from a lack of communication since the takeover with things seemingly happening out of the blue, which was always going to cause worry after the problematic period we have faced. I am pleased he has now answered a lot of it and quelled some of the rumours flying around. This was what I wanted and was concerned by, and as he has answered it well, I am happy. He was honest, frank and didn’t promise the world, which creates trust.

I also don’t get the bemoaning from some quarters about him backing Dean. Of course he was going to do that, and it’s good he did. We don’t want the chairman unsettling the manager in an interview. I have concerns about Dean’s capability, but it’s right that the chairman gives him a chance to succeed. I am sure if Dean fails in the longer run, Hilton would find a replacement. Under Swann we were too liberal with the sack, and most seemed to realise that by the end, so I am thankful Hilton doesn’t appear to be like that.

Though, I am sure this isn’t good enough for you bpg; you have made it clear that having concerns is not good enough and makes us abusive trolls. I try to be self-critical, but I don’t think I have said anything which is doom mongering and think my outlook is positive. I am pleased Hilton has answered the critics and I hope he continues to communicate with us in a good manner, which does sound likely with his fans forums.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    SODIronSODIron
    Participant
    Registered On: July 8, 2014
    Topics: 22

I’m still absorbing the intervie, and my thoughts so far as thus;

As much as it pains me to say, he is making the correct choice to shut down the academy, and downsize the staff. I feel for all who are impacted by this, but it had to be done as it threatens the very survival of the club.

The season ticket malarky makes sense to me, and I renewed mine via bank transfer last week. There is little benefit to Scunthorpe United if the bank just trickle feeds season ticket sales through on a match-by-match basis.

I agree with the club offices going part-time, however I do admit, I have reservartions about day-to-day operations being shipped out of town. A football club should be part of the community, and this goes against that!

As for players training in Ilkeston during the week. I’m not too fused about that; most of the players and playing staff are not locals to Scunthorpe so if better facilities exist elsewhere, why not use them (although I would like to know how much it will cost Scunthorpe United to access those facilities). That said, I do hope this is a short-term solution, and that DH builds something better in Scunthopre or the surrounding area. Perhaps something that could bring in extra revenue, with a gym, cafe, bar, multi-use pitches etc.

Overall I would say that I am firmly in camp 2, I will continue to support Scunthorpe United in any way I can, and will watch closely to see if DH makes good on his words. If he does, he will have my backing, if he doesn’t, I’ll round up a mob with pitch forks and chase him out of town!

RichgyRichgy
    Participant
    Registered On: May 29, 2022
    Topics: 6

Found the point about loans interesting : 15-25 players seems an awful lot to loan out in a season (thats how it came accross ,what he wants to do ) with a first team squad and 15-25 youngsters you would be carrying a 30-40 man squad , although he said the clubs who loan them will subsidise the wages of these younger players ; wouldnt decent level academy players on relatively decent money?

fans6464
    Registered On: February 14, 2015
    Topics: 444

So I’m clear,didn’t he originally say he’d bought the lot including GP?

3 users thanked author for this post.
    RichgyRichgy
    Participant
    Registered On: May 29, 2022
    Topics: 6

One other point i found confusing was at the end he said the accounts hadnt been filed because his accountant hadnt had chance to look at the accounts yet ,and that Peter Swanns accountants had been auditing them -surely they have done their due dilegence on the books or am I interpreting it wrong ?

Anonymous
    Inactive
    Registered On:

I’ll be very interested to see where home pre-season friendlies are played in the summer.

CMCCMC
    Participant
    Registered On: July 14, 2022
    Topics: 32

Yes, and we’ll done Dave for pointing out its Bury fans. Give the full picture bpg

This was pointed out by several on Social Media, but those who think they know better than others constantly denied it.

If the Brexit referendum was a football club it would be called Scunthorpe United!

As above, we have so-called supporters who are more interested in getting one over another fan than the fortunes of the team.

To be fair to Lee Turnbull…he recognised this when he created the Coffee Club.

In short:

David H,
    Sack Jimmy. Ta.
    We know there was going to be cuts, so crack on with what you need to do.
    Thanks.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Iron-aweIron-awe
    Participant
    Registered On: June 21, 2017
    Topics: 11

So I’m clear,didn’t he originally say he’d bought the lot including GP?

Yes and he’s still saying that in the interview but that the details on the ground plus land take time to resolve, which sounds reasonable to me and it will be concluded soon and he has proof of funds to complete when all the legal paperwork is sorted. Until there comes a time when it’s announced that he’s not buying the land or ground because of lack of funds then the benefit of any doubt should surely lie with the person who now owns the football club. Anything else is no more than a conspiracy theory. So are there many Donald Trump types hiding in the Iron fan base then?

Anonymous
    Inactive
    Registered On:

Seems Mr Swann still owns the tangible assets and that Mr Hilton owns the club (badge, name, the footballing activity / operation).
    This could well rumble on and ultimately fall through?

Deereyme66Deereyme66
    Registered On: May 8, 2017
    Topics: 101

I-A, You will know from the non-football side how much conspiracy theories are a bug bear of mine. Please don’t confuse genuine scepticism and concern about SUFC operating 70 miles out of town, apart from match days, compounded with the failing 1899 scheme, credit card issues and the academy closure, thus resulting in further doubts about whether the stadium and land is going to be purchased fully or not, as a conspiracy theory on Trumpian scales. Cheers.

TheJuryeffsOutTheJuryeffsOut
    Participant
    Registered On: April 1, 2023

Ilkeston is a better location to attract players ? Why ever move the base back here then …? 70 miles added to Nelson’s commute so an extra 140 miles on the round trip for him. I get the cloth cutting but moving to Ilkeston doesn’t sit well for me. But hey ho, I haven’t bought the club he has. I just hope that ringing alarm bell I keep hearing goes away.

Deereyme66Deereyme66

Yep, more than happy to hold my hands up and say I misjudged Hilton, if and when the time comes. Untill that time comes I’ll hope for the best and continue getting to games when I can and paying to watch national league streamed matches when available

Iron-aweIron-awe
    Participant

Oh you conspiracy theory merchants what are you like, such a naughty bunch.

Deereyme66Deereyme66

Hilarious

Iron-aweIron-awe
    Participant

We agree to disagree on this one DM, laughing is all we have left, unless you’ve been told something genuinely different 😂

Deereyme66Deereyme66

I’m suggesting this is the thin end of the wedge I-A, as are others. It’s a view based on a number of things that have happened / are happening, it’s not a conspiracy theory.

ironinsideriron insider
    Blocked
    Registered On: August 19, 2019
    Topics: 29

theres going to be lots of eggs on faces when David Hilton white completes the master plan and it ain’t gonna be on mine.
    HILTON OUT – WE ARE SCUNTHORPE UNITED.

dandaherron@yahoo.co.ukJust Iron
    Participant
    Registered On: August 1, 2014
    Topics: 9

Just listened to the interview. Was going to buy only my second ever season ticket next week. Definitely doing so after what I’ve heard. I totally get the scarring and erosion of trust left by the previous regime … but I’m happy to shell out on the basis of what I thought was a pretty candid and clear presentation of where we are and what he’s about. I hope that in a couple of years we’ll see things coming to fruition and some real positive momentum. All our 3000 plus hard-core have been magnificent in recent months .. whether totally convinced or reserving judgment … and deserve to see our proud history rekindled.

ironfromafarironfromafar
    Participant
    Registered On: October 10, 2021
    Topics: 19

I think you mean ‘wasn’t’ WG. Agree, a lot more to this than being about facilities. With training and operations moving to Ilkeston and GP only open on matchdays, the club is all but leaving the town. How long before opening GP on matchdays becomes ‘unsustainable’ too? A sceptic might say, ‘can’t you see what’s happening here?’

Agree with this totally hence my earlier post directly after listening to Hilton .. this whole ILK move for training has more to it than just cos of a crap training pitch at Scunny, clearing the decks , land around GP for development virtually closing GP except match days all suspect in my opinion.. hey silly me when DH bought the club (nearly not yet complete) i though it was with the intention to keep it where it belongs actually in the town of Scunthorpe not move it away ,dissect and de staff it.

As a footnote ..this 1899 share scheme must be dead in the water now , who in the right mind would pay for a share of it when quite possibly will be rolling in tumbleweed 6 days per week before it becomes impractical and games moved to …….. ?? Ilkeston by any chance ??

I want to support DH but not a fan of the decision to move to anything ILK .. a location in Scunny should be found and GP “office” remain open that way the town still has a club.

I could see many supporters drifting away upon relegation being confirmed and DHs future plans coming in.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    Registered On:

I’m suggesting this is the thin end of the wedge I-A, as are others. It’s a view based on a number of things that have happened / are happening, it’s not a conspiracy theory.

The strangest ‘takeover’ of a football club since the inception of the Football League.

If pre-season friendlies take place at Ilkeston in the summer – would you travel from Scunny to give your support at the games?

What if you all toe the line and the games go ahead and a couple of thousand of you make the journey?
    What if it’s declared to be a roaring success and that ground sharing with Ilkeston is beneficial for both clubs and the way forward?

The Wombles became the Dons of MK.

Will we become the Iron of Ilkeston?

Anonymous
    Inactive
    Registered On:

I think you mean ‘wasn’t’ WG. Agree, a lot more to this than being about facilities. With training and operations moving to Ilkeston and GP only open on matchdays, the club is all but leaving the town. How long before opening GP on matchdays becomes ‘unsustainable’ too? A sceptic might say, ‘can’t you see what’s happening here?’

Agree with this totally hence my earlier post directly after listening to Hilton .. this whole ILK move for training has more to it than just cos of a crap training pitch at Scunny, clearing the decks , land around GP for development virtually closing GP except match days all suspect in my opinion.. hey silly me when DH bought the club (nearly not yet complete) i though it was with the intention to keep it where it belongs actually in the town of Scunthorpe not move it away ,dissect and de staff it.

As a footnote ..this 1899 share scheme must be dead in the water now , who in the right mind would pay for a share of it when quite possibly will be rolling in tumbleweed 6 days per week before it becomes impractical and games moved to …….. ?? Ilkeston by any chance ??

I want to support DH but not a fan of the decision to move to anything ILK .. a location in Scunny should be found and GP “office” remain open that way the town still has a club.

I could see many supporters drifting away upon relegation being confirmed and DHs future plans coming in.

GP is effectively being mothballed.

Park a classic car up and don’t store it in the correct conditions and use & service it – and you are heading for trouble.

The tired old girl known as GP has her maintenance and servicing issues.

Will the pitch be given over to Mother Nature? Perhaps given a trim and white lining on the day before a game?

No ground staff and it’ll become a lumpy, bumpy pitch full of weeds!

At that point, a declaration that GP is not up to standard and not fit for purpose might be issued – but, luckily we’ve contingency plans with our Ilkeston buddies and they’ve come to our rescue.

Nothing in life is ever what it seems!

Certainty comes with death.

ironfromafarironfromafar
    Participant

The strangest ‘takeover’ of a football club since the inception of the Football League.

If pre-season friendlies take place at Ilkeston in the summer – would you travel from Scunny to give your support at the games?

What if you all toe the line and the games go ahead and a couple of thousand of you make the journey?
    What if it’s declared to be a roaring success and that ground sharing with Ilkeston is beneficial for both clubs and the way forward?

The Wombles became the Dons of MK.

Will we become the Iron of Ilkeston?

I think thats where this is heading .. some kind of ground share with SUFC and Ilk combining .. i will say now i very much doubt a new training facility will be sourced and constructed in Scunny once its moved its gone that plan will simply get swept under the carpet and forgotten.

I would also bet my smaller left but perfectly formed left testicle that some pre season friendlies will be played at ILK.

ANY MOVE TO ILKESTON SHOULD NOT BE HAPPENING PERIOD… yes sadly lay off some staff at GP but fine a training facility in Scunny and keep the club in the town .. im seeing all this as the beginning of the end for SUFC in its own right with an MK Dons style gig coming to fruition in the furture.

Sadly after the joy of getting rid of Swan (nearly) with all this negativity, changes and whats happened in the last few weeks my re enthused support of the club is waning, not only is it embarassing being a fan on the football side there seems to be too many shady decisions being made re the clubs future within the town.

Make a cracking documentary one day !!

ironfromafarironfromafar
    Participant

GP will without any doubt fall into disrepair
    Staffing issues on match days with become an issue
    There are a multitude of ways GP can and will become defunct to suit possible future plans.

BTW i may be mistaken but DH on paper doesnt own the ground yet?? and if any problems do arise Iron fans may be making the trip ti Ilkeston to watch their team.

1899 gig is dead… that didnt last long.

Agree with earlier post this is like Brexit with Monty Python in charge.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    Registered On:

IFA said:
    I’m seeing all this as the beginning of the end for SUFC in its own right with an MK Dons style gig coming to fruition in the future.

…not only is it embarrassing being a fan on the football side there seems to be too many shady decisions being made re the clubs future within the town.

Develop retail outlets on the training pitch & car parks and GP is a blot on the landscape. A carbuncle that reduces the footfall to the surrounding stores every other week.
    Young mums ain’t going to take their kids down there when it’s awash with beer glugging footy fans.
    GP is on a countdown clock and ultimately will be demolished to make way for more outlets.

ironfromafarironfromafar
    Participant

IFA said:
    I’m seeing all this as the beginning of the end for SUFC in its own right with an MK Dons style gig coming to fruition in the future.

…not only is it embarrassing being a fan on the football side there seems to be too many shady decisions being made re the clubs future within the town.

Develop retail outlets on the training pitch & car parks and GP is a blot on the landscape. A carbuncle that reduces the footfall to the surrounding stores every other week.
    Young mums ain’t going to take their kids down there when it’s awash with beer glugging footy fans.
    GP is on a countdown clock and ultimately will be demolished to make way for more outlets.

Sadly re your last sentence Rene ….thats areal possibility ..

This ILK training move is the first step in the beginning of the end .. may take awhile but its coming.

TheJuryeffsOutTheJuryeffsOut
    Participant
    Registered On: April 1, 2023

I want, and I mean really want, it all to spin out like Hilton says. But I fear ReneArtois is correct and we are the next MK Dons, well Ilkeston are, we are the next Wimbledon.
    The training facilities have supported leagues footballers for years. Improve the drainage, build a new facility on the car park and training pitch. At least identify a site in Scunthorpe first then temporarily move to Ilkeston whilst it is built. I’m afraid he hasn’t got enough money or hasn’t got the will to keep things at Scunthorpe and this is the plan all along. If he’d come in on day 1 and said all this what would everyone have thought ? If the ground deal doesn’t complete where are we ? Renting off Swann or travelling to a ground share at Ilkeston ?
    I’m more than happy to come on here in 5 years time, say I’m a miserable cynic and have a profile picture of a clown with egg on his face but I am genuinely worried.

Everytime refereePat O’Cake
    Participant
    Registered On: December 27, 2013
    Topics: 17

To save time, I’m just re-iterating Daz Reevel’s post, agree with pretty much every word and by far the most sensible post on this thread.

Deereyme66Deereyme66

Whatever happened to ‘football in the community’? My god. Wake up people for goodness sake.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    Registered On:

theres going to be lots of eggs on faces when David Hilton white completes the master plan and it ain’t gonna be on mine.
    HILTON OUT – WE ARE SCUNTHORPE UNITED.

Ilkeston will be one league below us next season.

Why not further develop that club and push on up the pyramid.

He’s revered at Ilkeston – it’ll or it would have been easier to get Ilkeston to the NL than it’s going to be to take Scunthorpe back there.

So, why jump ships?

Money talks.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.