David Hilton Interview

Iron Bru Forums Blast Furnace David Hilton Interview

• Author
    AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant
    Registered On: June 20, 2017
    Topics: 160

The supporting evidence is they couldn’t wouldn’t come forward with a bid that the owner would accept, Kirchner was the preferred bidder for the administrator at Derby he couldn’t come up with the funds, so the local man slipped in at the last minute, happens all the time. Don’t really get why snide remarks aren’t allowed against St Simon and Ian yet perfectly acceptable for Hilton the man who actually bought the club guess it’s a scunny thing? You’ve got to admit Swanny played a blinder there suckering them for a months wages, even if you do hate the man, they weren’t even clever enough to put the money in as a loan fancy gifting Swanny the thick end of 200k not really the kind of people I would want to run the club.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Iron-aweIron-awe
    Participant
    Registered On: June 21, 2017
    Topics: 11

‘I hear they can put £150 each into a new venture, should be mega’

So, let me get this straight I-A, you and awaywego are implying Elliot and Sharp didn’t have the funds to buy the club, stadium and land? I’ve not seen evidence to support that, so it sounds mightly like one of those conspiracy theories you keep wangin’ on about. If I’ve misinterpreted what your point was, please correct me.

So we can’t have another daft laugh at Simon and Ian’s expense but everybody else is fair game, ok I get it you bruise easy but let’s be right they couldn’t afford the whole deal in the first place so let’s wait and see what happens post May 24th, would rather everything went through then rather then a phoenix club being the outcome.

Deereyme66Deereyme66
    Registered On: May 8, 2017
    Topics: 101

Not a daft laugh though was it? just plain disrespectful and cheap shots. Nothing to do with bruising easily. Not getting in to a slanging match with either of you and lowering myself to juvenile plays on words, but if you submit numerous posts over a period of time that are either false or disrespectful of people working at the club, and those that tried to save it before Hilton came along, don’t be surprised if posters point it out. As for ‘phoenix club’, nothing to do with it and not my thinking.

Deereyme66Deereyme66

I’ll also add, I’ve seen little (if any) piss taking out of Hilton. I’ve seen plenty of appreciation, scepticism, plans concerns, and references to the past. Patrick has come in for a substantial amount of derision, but he’s a friend of Hilton on a PR mission, he’s not putting funds in, as far as I’m aware.

‘Hilton the man who actually bought the club’.

You mean the man that Swann did a deal with to be completed by 24 May awaywego? He’ll have bought it when the deal is complete, not before, is my understanding.

AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant

And my understanding is he has bought the football club as a separate company to the one that owns the land and ground.

Deereyme66Deereyme66

Correct, as far as I’m aware. Happy to admit to that that error, for what it’s worth.

AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant

Who really knows Deerey originally we were told Simon and Ian had bought the club, talk is cheap I’m afraid, 24/25th of May hopefully things will be clearer for everyone.

Iron-aweIron-awe
    Participant

Agreed on that, post 24th May will be when things hopefully become clearer, I think we can all agree on that. My main beef is with people who I believe ( my opinion) who have come on here as false accounts looking to divide opinion between the majority on here who are loyal Scunny fans. Posting links hither and thither some from 2011 and some that don’t even work and looking to bad mouth a guy who has put a fair amount of money into our club already which in a lot of people’s opinion has stopped our club from going out of business. Yes Ian and Simon paid wages for a month and that was much appreciated but Hilton has ploughed in a lot more since , including paying off a huge tax bill to allow us to bring fresh players in and paying the wages every month since. Some of his ideas haven’t gone down well but at least he’s changed his mind on a couple because he said he listened to fans views yet some have even bad mouthed him about that saying he should have asked fans first. Look he owns the club now and I believe he’s trying his best to stabilise things and it must be very difficult for him trying to get the right things done in the right order, bearing in mind the bloody mess the previous owner left behind. As for Ian and Simon they decided to pull out of a deal to buy the club, ground and land, which the majority believed was down to the money required being too much for them but that is entirely their decision and I respect that but could they seriously come back again if things go wrong next month? would the price be dropped for them? I think we must wait and see but the club is stable for now and for that we should all be grateful and thank the guy responsible. Right that’s me done on this, being drawn into other people’s shit show is a bad idea but this is what happens when unproven poison is brought in from outside. Wait and see till the 24th of May has come and gone because until then it’s speculation which is totally unwarranted IMO.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Patrick0811Patrick0811
    Participant
    Registered On: March 30, 2023
    Topics: 0

The best post I have read on here, just want to add… i do not read the posts when I see they are from an anonymous person… it feeds them to reply.
    So you won’t see a reply from me to them type of post….. first time I have said this….UP THE IRON!… unless you are playing Ilkeston…

Deereyme66Deereyme66

Quelle surprise! Fact is Patrick, you’ve repeatedly replied to posts on here to forum members who don’t use their names for their user accounts. There’s hardly any that do tbh.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    Registered On:
    Topics: 18

“We are living in an open world.
    There is a freedom of speech and clearly, a freedom of speculation.”

Ehud Barak

Deereyme66Deereyme66

‘false accounts looking to divide opinion between the majority on here who are loyal Scunny fans’

Talking of ‘false accounts’ I-A, you and other non Twitter users / observers ought to know that a number of new Twitter accounts appeared a few weeks back threatening Iron supporters critical or sceptical of the new owner and suggested plans. Pretty nasty stuff. They came and went pretty fast. Those accounts have since been deleted. Pretty unprecedented stuff as far as I’m aware. Think it’s useful for non Twitter users / observers to be aware of this amd the wider environment.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    Registered On:

“The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible.”

Salman Rushdie

Patrick0811Patrick0811
    Participant
    Registered On: March 30, 2023

Deerreme
    I presume if they have some sort of name, they will be known by other members?…..

Deereyme66Deereyme66

I’ve no idea what you’re getting at Patrick. But whatever your opinion is, you’re entitled to it. I don’t have much will or desire to engage with a PR exercise. Bye for now.

Interested BystanderInterested Bystander
    Participant
    Registered On: April 9, 2023
    Topics: 15

The supporting evidence is they couldn’t wouldn’t come forward with a bid that the owner would accept, Kirchner was the preferred bidder for the administrator at Derby he couldn’t come up with the funds, so the local man slipped in at the last minute, happens all the time. Don’t really get why snide remarks aren’t allowed against St Simon and Ian yet perfectly acceptable for Hilton the man who actually bought the club guess it’s a scunny thing? You’ve got to admit Swanny played a blinder there suckering them for a months wages, even if you do hate the man, they weren’t even clever enough to put the money in as a loan fancy gifting Swanny the thick end of 200k not really the kind of people I would want to run the club.

For all the mistrust of Peter Swann and the desire to see the back of him, it surprises me that you and others have sufficient trust in his judgement to select the club’s next custodian correctly. Generally speaking, unpopular and outgoing chairmen usually do their best to ensure their successors do a worse job than them. It wouldn’t surprise me in the slightest if there is a clause in the sale agreement that if Hilton reneges on the terms then ownership transfers back to Swann for a nominal amount.

Given the duration of negotiations, it would suggest to me that the sale of the club was done on the hoof. No professional advisor would put their name to any due diligence (if any was conducted) in such as short space of time because their professional indemnity cover wouldn’t allow it.

As for Simon Elliott, Ian Sharp and their consortium, you don’t know the terms of their offer, you just know they were unsuccessful. In these situations it is good practice not to upset the locals because they are usually to first to sign a cheque when it goes tXXX up.

Participant

Wonder what those who choose to make snide remarks about Sharp and Elliott’s wealth or lack of have done to help save the club recently?

I’d be amazed if its costs any of them the thick end of 200k.

Most of those commenting wouldn’t have the first idea how to calculate an individual’s net worth. Too many people talk a good game but by the time you have deducted what the banks are into them for, they are worth the thin end of nothing.

CMCCMC
    Participant
    Registered On: July 14, 2022
    Topics: 32

‘false accounts looking to divide opinion between the majority on here who are loyal Scunny fans’

Talking of ‘false accounts’ I-A, you and other non Twitter users / observers ought to know that a number of new Twitter accounts appeared a few weeks back threatening Iron supporters critical or sceptical of the new owner and suggested plans. Pretty nasty stuff. They came and went pretty fast. Those accounts have since been deleted. Pretty unprecedented stuff as far as I’m aware. Think it’s useful for non Twitter users / observers to be aware of this amd the wider environment.

It’s all starting to add up…

Anonymous
    Inactive
    Registered On:

“You can chain me, you can torture me, you can even destroy this body, but you will never imprison my mind.”
    Mahatma Gandhi

“Three things cannot be long hidden: the sun, the moon, and the truth.”
    Buddha

“There is only one truth
    The one I tell you”

cassidystashcassidystash
    Participant
    Registered On: January 4, 2014
    Topics: 104

IB wrote:-
    “For all the mistrust of Peter Swann and the desire to see the back of him, it surprises me that you and others have sufficient trust in his judgement to select the club’s next custodian correctly.”

This premise assumes that Mr Swann has an interest in what happens to SUFC after he leaves. Latterly he had little or no interest whilst he was still here. It’s more likely that he would sell to anybody that (apparently) had the cash that he wanted/needed.

4 users thanked author for this post.
    PeterAldersonPeterAlderson
    Participant
    Registered On: April 19, 2023

Swann simply wanted the chance to maximise his sale. As a bit of a gambler, he eschewed a sizable offer for the club, stadium, and land from the local consortium that would have also seen them pay off tax debts and provide additional profit right then and there, along with the massive wage payment that was made not as a donation, but as a down payment. Remember, it was announced the same day as the initial sale agreement.

Instead, Swann rolled the dice on a man who presented himself as a legitimate businessman and said he could deliver the price Swann requested… in six or so months.

Hilton, as he’s called now, also took a gamble on himself, and now he is in a right mess, searching for capital everywhere he can, offering that which he doesn’t have as collateral.

Hilton is now under great pressure from multiple parties.

Unfortunately for Hilton and his partners, he cannot simply petition to have this club dissolved and disappear without filing accounts. Perhaps he will find the money and the club will have a happy ending to a new beginning and kick on from there. We shall see.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    Participant

After spending most of last night doing a sweep of Twitter, it certainly throws up certain patterns of behaviour.

You might find “hiltonsgroup” (more about that later) of interest. Remember to view by Top, Latest and Photos for the screenshots.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    , CMC CMC
    Participant

Hilton, as he’s called now, also took a gamble on himself, and now he is in a right mess, searching for capital everywhere he can, offering that which he doesn’t have as collateral.

I believe the modern terminology is a no money down deal, at least none of your own. In my day, it was called not having a pot to piddle in.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    Registered On:
    Anonymous
    Inactive
    Registered On:

I didn’t see this at the time but came across it on the Ilkeston Town Supporters Community Page.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/65161791

Nothing new but I’d not seen it reported on the BBC… not that I’d looked for it.

russellfoxBrassy sharman
    Participant
    Registered On: October 8, 2014
    Topics: 21

Well it appears the man with the roller is apparently allegedly actively trying to recruit partners with substantial financial clout, I wonder why?

Anonymous
    Inactive
    Registered On:

Well it appears the man with the roller is apparently allegedly actively trying to recruit partners with substantial financial clout, I wonder why?

Didn’t he say he drives a people carrier?

Iron-aweIron-awe
    Participant

You got a link for that Brassy 🤔

Participant

I have relistened to Hilton’s interview on the club’s website which was released on 02/04/23.

9 MINUTES IN
    Hilton claims that he has put about £3M into Ilkeston. I have looked at their balance sheet and there is no significant change to their fixed assets or net worth under his stewardship.

10 MINUTES/55 IN
    Fit & Proper Test – This test does not approve an individual’s good character. An owner/director declares:

(i) I am not either directly or indirectly involved in or have the power to determine or influence the management or administration of another Football Club (including the direct or indirect holding of a Significant Interest in that Football Club) against which the Club may play fixtures in any Competition sanctioned by The Association and acknowledge that The Association may exercise its absolute discretion in the application of this Disqualifying Condition to protect the integrity of the game based on any involvement that I may have in more than one club given the position of those clubs in the game;

(ii) I am not prohibited by law from being an Officer (including but not limited to being subject to a disqualification order as a director of a UK registered company under the Company Directors’ Disqualification Act 1986 (as amended or any equivalent provisions in any jurisdiction that has a substantially similar effect) or being subject to an undertaking given to the Secretary of State under that Act (as amended or any equivalent provisions in any jurisdiction that has a substantially similar effect) unless a court of competent jurisdiction makes an order under that Act permitting an appointment as an Officer);

(iii) I have not been convicted of any of the following offences, or where I have, this conviction is now considered spent under the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974;
    (a) an offence involving a Dishonest Act;
    (b) corruption;
    (c) perverting the course of justice;
    (d) committing a serious breach of any requirement under the Companies Act 1985 or 2006 or any
    statutory modification or re-enactment thereof;
    (e) dishonestly receiving a programme broadcast from within the UK with intent to avoid payment under
    Section 297 of the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988;
    (f) admitting spectators to watch a football match at unlicensed premises under Section 9 of the Football
    Spectators Act 1989;
    (g) ticket touting under Section 166 of the Criminal Justice and Public Order Act 1994;
    (h) any attempt or conspiracy to commit any of the offences set out in paragraphs (a) to (g) above;
    (i) having an unspent conviction by a court of competent jurisdiction anywhere in the world (including
    any attempt and/or any conspiracy to commit the same) that results in a sentence of at least 12
    months imprisonment but for the avoidance of doubt, not a suspended jail sentence unless that
    sentence is subsequently activated for a period of at least 12 months for whatever reason;
    (j) any conviction for a like offence to any of the offences set out in paragraphs (a) to (h) above by a
    competent court having jurisdiction outside of England and Wales.

(iv) I am not a Registered Offender and am not required to notify personal information pursuant to Part 2 of the Sexual Offences Act 2003;

(v) I am not subject to a banning order in accordance with Schedule 1 of the Football Spectators Act 2000 (or any equivalent provision in any jurisdiction that has a substantially similar effect).

43 MINUTES IN
    Accounts filing – Hilton said the accounts will be filed at some point next week (W/C 03/04/23) – Still not filed.

Deereyme66Deereyme66

That there ‘fit and proper test’? Always been robust hasn’t it.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.