Danny Elliott

Iron Bru Forums Blast Furnace Danny Elliott

• Author
    cassidystashcassidystash
    Participant
    Registered On: January 4, 2014
    Topics: 104

Signed for Macclesfield in the NPL. Should score a hatful down there.

Deereyme66Deereyme66
    Registered On: May 8, 2017
    Topics: 101

Ought to. Only one step lower mind. Wouldn’t fancy being managed by Robbie Savage

AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant
    Registered On: June 20, 2017
    Topics: 160

Makes you wonder what we offered him if Macclesfield got him in the league below us.

SideriteSiderite
    Participant
    Registered On: December 12, 2014
    Topics: 78

I wonder why we might not be able to offer large wages now.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    toffeetoffee
    Participant
    Registered On: February 1, 2022
    Topics: 0

They’ve been throwing money around ever since Savage and the other owners took over. Emile Heskey has joined the backroom staff too.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant

I wonder as well Siderite didn’t the club see the average attendance we had last season and the revenue that would have brought in.
    You don’t think they want the turnstile receipts to pay down any debt leftover do you.
    Throwing the money around has worked well for them though Toffee.

SideriteSiderite
    Participant
    Registered On: December 12, 2014
    Topics: 78

No point moaning. The clowns you supported have brought us to this point with wage demands possible and a sustainable set up required.

NorthumbironNorthumbiron
    Registered On: January 3, 2014
    Topics: 66

Should be able to show off his silky skills!

Iron-aweIron-awe
    Participant
    Registered On: June 21, 2017
    Topics: 11

. Emile Heskey has joined the backroom staff too.

No doubt Emile will be organising the weekly pie eating contest after Friday training.

Deereyme66Deereyme66

‘Throwing the money around has worked well for them though Toffee.’

Not well enough to get promoted last season. Same as Bury throwing money around hasn’t worked for them either.

SharpShooter24Sharp_Shooter24
    Participant
    Registered On: April 24, 2014
    Topics: 77

If we had a different manager in charge last season (not JD) I’m convinced Danny Elliot was worth 30 goals but sadly we’ve wasted him.
    I’d be astonished if he’s not top scorer in that league next season.
    Unbelievable signing for Macclesfield and personally I’m gutted we let him go.
    Really pleased we are going to be sustainable but Elliot & Butterfield not staying will no doubt prove to be massive mistakes.

WonderGoalsWonderGoals
    Participant
    Registered On: December 27, 2013
    Topics: 90

Carlton is better than Elliot. Whitehall is better than elliot and we’ve signed a young up and coming targetman. A targetman we desperately needed.

Butterfield will be the bigger miss, but once he started to slow down he was ineffective in the second half of last season. Butterfield became a luxury player towards the end. There’s a reason we never usually came back after going behind.

I liked Butterfield a lot and technically was the best player hands down in this league, but that was counted by much worse players who had more energy who got around the pitch better.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    cliffbyrnesrightpegCliff Byrne’s Right Peg
    Participant
    Registered On: October 17, 2015
    Topics: 57

How do you come to the conclusion Carlton is a better player despite never seeing him play and him having a worse goal scoring record than Elliott?

FerriteFerrite
    Participant
    Registered On: December 23, 2013

Never impressed me in an Iron shirt and the fact he’s dropped down a league, presumably for the cash, says plenty.

cassidystashcassidystash
    Participant
    Registered On: January 4, 2014
    Topics: 104

Never played to his strengths, his record overall stands up well, needs a better manager than he had here to flourish IMO.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant

Macclesfield 2 promotions in 3 years is a good return for throwing money at it.

Deereyme66Deereyme66

2 promotions from far easier divisions against clubs with much less budget. Didn’t make the grade last year despite trying to buy their way up again. Let’s see if they can do it next season and how Elliot fares with Savage managing him.

WonderGoalsWonderGoals
    Participant
    Registered On: December 27, 2013
    Topics: 90

How do you come to the conclusion Carlton is a better player despite never seeing him play and him having a worse goal scoring record than Elliott?

Been on that pipe again

Minute to goal ratio when taking into consideration the chances he had, Butler said he was the best finisher in the league last season. Putting all that to one side he was playing on the wing and also set up a lot of goals. How many assists did he have to his name, was it 10 or 12, I can’t remember.

Elliot will score a bagful, he’s in the league below us remember.

Deereyme66Deereyme66

He ought to, particularly with the most expensive supporting players in that league, but we shall see.

AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant

Ps SS24 we didn’t let him go a contract was offered.

Iron414Iron414
    Participant
    Registered On: May 30, 2024

If Elliott had been given the game time he’d have been a top player for us. I was sorry to see him go as I was hoping under a new manager and played in his natural position he would have scored a bag full this coming season. On this occasion Macclesfield are the beneficiaries of our curbed spending.

Butterfield will be the bigger miss though. WonderGoals you must not have been at the bumper-crowd game against Chester, only a month before the season end, where we came back from behind twice. Also where Butterfield dictated the midfield and scored one of his trademark, edge of the box ‘worldies’, 5 minutes before full time. He was excellent for 90+ minutes and certainly didn’t look to be ‘ineffective’. I have reluctantly accepted that we can no longer afford players of his quality and are lucky to have had him for the time we did, but let’s not rewrite history to make it feel like less of a loss. He had at least one if not two more years of good football in him. But money prevails.

Our last two signings really highlight our financial position and the budget constraints Butler is working in. But as we are rightly told, we still have our football club and sustainability is the most important thing now.

4 users thanked author for this post.
    Deereyme66Deereyme66

‘But as we are rightly told, we still have our football club and sustainability is the most important thing now.’

But would you disagree with that 414? Let’s see how it looks in action once they’ve had chance to demonstrate what they can do eh?

Iron414Iron414
    Participant
    Registered On: May 30, 2024

Of course not Deerey… hence me saying ‘as we are rightly told’. If I disagreed I’d say ‘as we are wrongly told’ wouldn’t I? But that doesn’t change that the disparity in quality between our outgoings and incomings is disappointing, albeit a reflection of our circumstances.

Deereyme66Deereyme66

‘Of course not Deerey… hence me saying ‘as we are rightly told’. If I disagreed I’d say ‘as we are wrongly told’ wouldn’t I’

Oh yeah, what a silly billy I am ;)

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.