Curzon Ashton

Iron Bru Forums Blast Furnace Curzon Ashton

• Author
    PhilAndersPhilAnders
    Participant
    Registered On: July 10, 2017
    Topics: 5

I’ve had a chance to review to review Curzon’s highlights from their win at Rushall. The first thing to say is they are not as good a side as Kidderminster. Then, providing we can maintain our performance levels of last Friday, then we should be fine. That said, they did the double over us last season by a combination of soaking up our pressure by getting bodies between us and their goal and hitting us on the break. Their style of play has not changed this season. They flood midfield to win the ball and then move the ball to their small, but tricky strikers. They have one aerial threat at set pieces, the tall center back Barton, who headed the winning goal yesterday. My only concern from Friday night would be the misplaced passes of the first 20 mins, if repeated, could well provide Curzon with opportunities. Also if we squander the number of chances we had in last years games then that too could sink us. I’m going for a 2-1 Scunny win.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    WonderGoalsWonderGoals
    Participant
    Registered On: December 27, 2013
    Topics: 90

David O’Leary, why did you not sign all those times after you were spotted at forest pines ?

Rene ArtoisRene Artois
    Participant
    Registered On: September 18, 2023
    Topics: 137

Curzon 1-3 Iron

mkironMK Iron
    Participant
    Registered On: December 23, 2013
    Topics: 46

Keep up the scouting reports Phil.

Good work.

lesgeolesgeo
    Participant
    Registered On: December 25, 2013
    Topics: 96

Appreciated.

ironfromafarironfromafar
    Participant
    Registered On: October 10, 2021
    Topics: 19

Would take a draw tonight .. and thats my prediction .. 2-2

mkironMK Iron
    Participant

Tight defences so far. Might only be one goal in it.

I don’t think they will find the new fit and aggressive Iron to be the soft touch we were last season.Maxi will probably score it.

300 away and not many more home fans. Supposed to be working tonight so have to make do with the stream.

UTI

Iron-aweIron-awe
    Participant
    Registered On: June 21, 2017
    Topics: 11

I’m just going for another win whatever the score, just reckon the lads are playing really well so why should they suddenly start playing crap. Kiss of death no doubt lol.

cliffbyrnesrightpegCliff Byrne’s Right Peg
    Participant
    Registered On: October 17, 2015
    Topics: 57

They were our kryptonite last year, really struggled to get any momentum in our play against them. Remember their striker doing a number on us during the home game.

Tight affair: 1-1

mkironMK Iron
    Participant

Jimmy Spencer was excellent in our home game against Curzon last season.

A much better display than any he managed in an Iron shirt.

SODIronSODIron
    Participant
    Registered On: July 8, 2014
    Topics: 22

I think we’ll take this one, although it won’t be an easy win. My prediction is Curzon 0 Scunthorpe 2

Deereyme66Deereyme66
    Registered On: May 8, 2017
    Topics: 101

Sloppy. Need to control it better.

Square Ball BullimoreSquare Ball Bullimore
    Participant
    Registered On: December 24, 2013
    Topics: 5

That’ll do nicely

5 users thanked author for this post.
    JohnGaylesNuttingKitJohnGaylesNuttingKit
    Participant
    Registered On: May 26, 2017
    Topics: 10

Last 25 minutes a stressful watch, think Curzon should have been down to 10 late on – a great start but still work to do!

Iron-aweIron-awe
    Participant
    Registered On: June 21, 2017
    Topics: 11

Sounded a very hard working and difficult away performance but isn’t that what happens a few games every season. Didn’t Shankly once say ” a good team goes away from home, doesn’t play particularly well but finds a way to win”, well so far this season that is our football team, very early days yes but what a brilliant start. Well done boys UTI

2 users thanked author for this post.
    NorthumbironNorthumbiron
    Registered On: January 3, 2014
    Topics: 66

Tight defences so far. Might only be one goal in it.

I don’t think they will find the new fit and aggressive Iron to be the soft touch we were last season.Maxi will probably score it.

UTI

Great call MK. Evans for Maxi and you were pretty much spot on!

Other results went our way too. Hope the luck doesn’t run out too soon.

Ex OfficioEx Officio
    Participant
    Registered On: December 28, 2013
    Topics: 3

Competent battling performance – didn’t think the result was in doubt after the goal. Commentators were lacking in knowledge an at one point admitted they couldn’t see properly without binoculars. Onwards and stay at the top. UTI

Deereyme66Deereyme66

Last 25 minutes a stressful watch, think Curzon should have been down to 10 late on – a great start but still work to do!

Yeah, looked a straight red. Too much going down easy from Curzon. Never felt like they were getting one back second half. They looked more threatening first half whilst we were cagey and sloppy. Much better control of the game second half. Passing improved. Good goal and clean sheet. Ground out. Taking that all day long. Nice little ground. Onwards and upwards.

mkironMK Iron
    Participant

7 games in and a long way to go but loving how we have turned up in every game so far.

Credit to Butler and his team.

Deereyme66Deereyme66

Work rate was hugely impressive

Participant

Was a tough watch at times, passing far too sloppy and the midfield looked quite disjointed for me. Number 7 (Ricketts?), Hayhurst annd Spencer are players worth keeping an eye on as we often struggled with them.

Nevertheless, This team don’t know when they’re beat, massive credit to their determination to see the result through. Butler got it right with the subs aswell, faultless start

toffeetoffee
    Participant
    Registered On: February 1, 2022
    Topics: 0

Back home from the game. A hard fought victory, but you’d take it all day long. The 3 centre backs must have headaches with the amount of high balls they had to deal with. It wasn’t obvious that Curzon are part time, they kept going until the end. I sat next to George Aitkenhead, he told me that Curzon’s playing budget is approx £300k.

Deereyme66Deereyme66

They certainly didn’t look part time. They’d have got a couple of goals against weaker less resolute defences.

Participant

It’s commendable how they put together such well organised sides on gates of 2-300 home fans.

I did see last week one of their directors expressing his frustration that they can’t attract more supporters, it will always be a struggle in such a saturated area for teams though with Ashton itself having 2 .

Deereyme66Deereyme66
    lesgeolesgeo
    Participant
    Registered On: December 25, 2013
    Topics: 96

We probably deserved to edge it but there were a dozen appalling passes in there.

BigLeftToeBigLeftToe
    Participant
    Registered On: June 6, 2017
    Topics: 6

Definitely room for improvement and we rode our luck at times, but we would have dropped points in that type of game last season.

The signs of a successful season are there though, especially after breaking the curse of the North East and now the Curzon hoodoo!

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.