Home Forums Non Football Coronavirus: Boris Johnson’s return to work ‘a boost for the country’

THE-99%
    Topics: 887
    Replies: 4218

this is a genuine BBC headline .. impartial?

Northumbiron
    Participant
    Topics: 248
    Replies: 10964

The only positive I can see is that it frees up another hospital bed.

BloodyRubbishIron
    Participant
    Topics: 31
    Replies: 1816

You do not mention that the boost for the country is the quoted opinion from his deputy, not a statement made by a BBC journalist.

BloodyRubbishIron
    Participant

The only positive I can see is that it frees up another hospital bed.

To be fair, he’s not as terrible as Raab.

THE-99%

it’s the headline . the 1st thing you see, ,that’s why it’s the headline, it doesn’t say ” Tory Says” it’ just states it as fact . It’s clear ,you have to read the story to know it’s a quote.
    By that time it’s already in your mind, ,

BloodyRubbishIron
    Participant

Not really, they have it quotation marks!

THE-99%

apostrophes actually . you know why it’s written like that. Pretend they said ‘Corbyn a boost to the country’ you wouldn’t be such an apologist then

BloodyRubbishIron
    Participant

Well, yes, but they were clearly doing it to summarise a quote from someone else, his deputy in this case. I have seen the BBC do it all the time from a range of stories for a myriad of people across the political spectrum. This really is a non-story, driven by a need to demonise the BBC.

Here’s The Guardian reporting on the leaked dossier: https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/apr/12/hostility-to-corbyn-curbed-labour-efforts-to-tackle-antisemitism-says-leaked-report

They too use apostrophes for a summary of the story from one side. Yet I never got angry about this headline, because I wasn’t so daft or manipulative of the truth to think that this was the Guardian’s published view. I knew they were using a summary of the arguments made by those involved for the headline, not pushing their own position.

THE-99%

it says “says leaked report in the headline ” the BBC headline only had the quote in big letters .Nothing about who said it To quote the ew phrase “apples and Oranges”

alcazar
    Participant
    Topics: 171
    Replies: 4094

Are you STILL trying to peddle the idea that the BBC is pro-Tory?

After the way Kuensberg and others have spoken to, questioned and reported on Boris and other ministers?

After the Tories are looking at ways to curb them over their Brexit reporting?

You really are one deluded man, aren’t you?

Edited.

Now answer my question

1 user thanked author for this post.

THE-99%

IT is pro Governement,has been since Blair threatened the licence fee.

THE-99%

that’s just abuse Alcy, I could respond likewise but hen you’d cry about admins abusing people ,so Please edit.

BloodyRubbishIron
    Participant

it says “says leaked report in the headline ” the BBC headline only had the quote in big letters .Nothing about who said it To quote the ew phrase “apples and Oranges”

The point I was making, which should not be this difficult to understand, is that the headline includes a quoted summary from the point of view of those who made the report, and does not reflect the Guardian’s stance. I included it to show the ridiculousness of your earlier post which suggests that the BBC is being biased by doing something similar here.

If I was being as wilfully dense as you I’d say that the Guardian is displaying bias in this headline.

THE-99%

Tne Guardian made it clear in the headline by saying where it came from ,the BBC just praised Boris in it’s headline ,we’re talking about the headline, nothing else. They do it all the time.

THE-99%

Big headline fonts have an effect ,it’s why they use them,

BloodyRubbishIron
    Participant

Tne Guardian made it clear in the headline by saying where it came from ,the BBC just praised Boris in it’s headline ,we’re talking about the headline, nothing else. They do it all the time.

True, but the BBC assumes that the public aren’t so idiotic as to think that part of a sentence within apostrophes represents its actual view.

THE-99%

just because a certain poster isn’t here for now,no need to start patronising,it’s his job

BloodyRubbishIron
    Participant

I am incredulous because it’s a ridiculous interpretation, and one I believe to be driven in attempt to undermine the BBC.

THE-99%

It’s what it says when you glance across it, in big letters. .You know full well the headline is the story for most idiots. It’s why rich people buy newspapers and employ headline writers so we get the message they want us to see,

Heath
    Participant
    Topics: 36
    Replies: 1909

He is only coming back part time, so no change then!!

BloodyRubbishIron
    Participant

It’s what it says when you glance across it, in big letters. .You know full well the headline is the story for most idiots. It’s why rich people buy newspapers and employ headline writers so we get the message they want us to see,

Even idiots understand the purpose of words within apostrophes and realise that this isn’t the BBC view. It even says that this is the view of the deputy underneath the headline, visible on the front page.

Northumbiron
    Participant
    Topics: 248
    Replies: 10964

the BBC assumes that the public aren’t so idiotic as to think that part of a sentence within apostrophes represents its actual view.

I’m sorry but the greater public are that idiotic.

It works the same way with newspaper headlines.

Some are even too lazy to read further. It’s all they need to form an opinion.

1 user thanked author for this post.

BloodyRubbishIron
    Participant

I still think that most would realise that it’s not the BBC opinion. The number of people who don’t understand the purpose of inverted commas must be small, and I am not sure how responsible the BBC should be for the very few who may think otherwise.

There will be people nodding their head at the headline, because they agree with the sentiment expressed, but they won’t necessarily think this is what the BBC must think. The sort of person who would think this tend to think of the BBC as a left wing, pro-EU biased site, like alcazar does.

alcazar
    Participant
    Topics: 171
    Replies: 4094

Because thats what it is?

Or maybe 99% doesn’t understand quote marks?

Oh, sorry that might be abuse too.

wingsofasparrow
    Participant
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 453

To be pedantic, they are single quotes not apostrophes. And as someone who’s written thousands of headlines, I can tell you it’s common practice to use single quotes in headlines instead of the usual double quotes. Indeed both the BBC and The Guardian style guides specify that quotes in headlines should have single quotes. It’s so standard that most of us read it that way without actually thinking about it.

Having said all that, it does create a positive impression about him returning to work. If that’s not the impression they wanted to create, then maybe they should have used a different headline.

2 users thanked author for this post.

BloodyRubbishIron
    Participant

I think that’s probably a fair assessment. My gripe isn’t the quality of the headline, but that they are being impartial through intent.

As you say, the use of single quotes is so commonplace that I can’t believe that people could seriously think this represents a BBC view. Just a quick google shows a similar instance: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-43463496. This is not the BBC saying that his hat was Russian.

There are plenty of things to criticise the BBC for, and the media, but things like this and the outrage over the effects caused to Corbyn’s hat from appearing on a curved screen and image enlargement only make the critic look ridiculous.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.