Closing academy

Iron Bru Forums Blast Furnace Closing academy

• Author
    lesgeolesgeo
    Participant
    Registered On: December 25, 2013
    Topics: 96

I would certainly expect us to sign up a number of our youngsters on pro contracts.
    Surely, nothing that happens would preclude that as an option?

Anonymous
    Inactive
    Registered On:
    Topics: 59

I think we certainly need to sign the prolific Poulter.
    Then again, he maybe off to a bigger club in the EFL?

Anonymous
    Inactive
    Registered On:

Nobody is forced to deliver a statement like that Rene, isn’t man city doing something illegal?

Unless it’s scripted for you and you are instructed to deliver it?

We don’t know what pressure was exerted upon him.

Suppose he could have said no and walked.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    Registered On:

I would certainly expect us to sign up a number of our youngsters on pro contracts.
    Surely, nothing that happens would preclude that as an option?

Hopefully. Fingers crossed.

cassidystashcassidystash
    Participant
    Registered On: January 4, 2014
    Topics: 104

The vastly experienced and talented Keith Hill thought many of the youngsters were good enough to keep us in the Football League. Surely with another years experience they should be good enough for the NLN.
    (And they’ll be cheap!)

Anonymous
    Inactive
    Registered On:

Throw them in!
    Sink or swim!

SD0101SD0101
    Participant
    Registered On: March 31, 2022
    Topics: 5

Will need armbands on we know they can’t swim,

PaulSanfran49
    Participant
    Registered On: December 23, 2013
    Topics: 70

If we had actually developed our own as opposed to some of the Will Swann recruited dross I think we would have had more of a chance of staying up.

Up to Michael Nelson the managerial choices were very poor. Formations, tactics and repeatedly changing too many players game after game then you add square holes round pegs the plan worked a treat.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    mistertonmickmistertonmick
    Participant
    Registered On: December 23, 2013
    Topics: 106

Throw them in!
    Sink or swim!

we did that last season and look where that got us.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    Registered On:
    Topics: 18

The plan is?

Anonymous
    Inactive
    Registered On:
    Topics: 18

From the Fish Fingered Forum:

“ So Scunthorpes academy is saved ? Or is it ? . Allegedly they will be playing in the JPL next season . Any grass roots team can do that . It’s called The Junior Premier League but it’s just grass roots football. Basically any grass roots team can now take Scunnys players and I’ve heard that some have gone already . I’m guessing the club will charge for the privilege to turn out for the mighty iron too . I shall watch with interest ………… When does that land need paying for ?”

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-

Junior Premier League:

about

JPL League Criteria:

League Criteria

Anonymous
    Inactive
    Registered On:
    Topics: 67

So, we’re going Cat 4 – U18s only involved in the EFLs program.

9s to 16s will play in the ‘little league’

No funding from EFL for 9s to 16s as we will not be involved in their program.
    I believe the EFL match what the club spends at Cat 4?

So, who’s left working there full time now?
    Watson, Smith and a physio?

That Crazy New YorkerThat Crazy New Yorker
    Participant
    Registered On: November 1, 2022
    Topics: 0

EFL would have provided one more year of funds, so the £220k number Hilton threw out there was nonsense. It was £70k, he clearly just didn’t want to spend it. His prerogative, but why lie? I’m pretty sure that the supporters on Facebook would have backed him if he’d said that deporting the kids in the academy to Antarctica was the most prudent thing for the club.

AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant
    Registered On: June 20, 2017
    Topics: 160

He shut ilkeston academy as well, and all there left with is 34 teams of all ages playing in an ilkeston shirt, even going to start 3-5 year old sessions on a Saturday morning, now we wouldn’t want any of that nonsense we want an academy obviously funded by anyone but oneself.

Patrick0811Patrick0811
    Participant
    Registered On: March 30, 2023

Hi awaywego
    Very nice to meet you yesterday, and intend to meet up again at a Scunny game in the near future.
    To be honest I have not slept all night, been waiting patiently for the backlash to your brilliant post, especially the last sentence, I think you may have stunned the doom mongers in to complete silence while they actually check what you say is true?…
    Yes, we ditched the ridiculous pocket emptying academy we had, and instead invested in building kids football teams of all ages… boys and girls, more than half our teams won their respective leagues this year and the women’s team climbed up to the top league from nowhere….this was something Dave Hilton had in mind to do at Scunthorpe I think?… but before he even had chance to explain why it would be so much better than a show piece academy producing sod all he was shouted down by the usual suspects… who don’t realise it is fine for big clubs like Man Utd, Chelsea, etc to have one, because the yearly cost would be about half a weeks wages to one of the players who warms the bench on match day!… but a big drain on clubs at our level,
    It’s called business acumen!
    30+ teams of kids with parents, grandparents, brothers and sisters tagging along for the match and a training session helps us have those facilities described in another post on here yesterday…

SideriteSiderite
    Participant
    Registered On: December 12, 2014
    Topics: 78

I think the issue most have is the way it was handled, primarily. If Hilton cannot explain himself clearly, then it’s not the fault of the ‘usual suspects’.

Patrick0811Patrick0811
    Participant

Hi Siderite
    Which translates to me that the penny has dropped eventually where running a pointless academy at our level is potty… as my Grandmother used to say.
    As for the way he handled it …. well he always seemed by be deluged with abuse before he got the first sentence out…. BY THE USUAL SUSPECTS!

SideriteSiderite
    Participant

I am sure the youth players weren’t the ones abusing him, so no excuses for how they were treated, nor the yo-yoing which messes with their emotions.

I still haven’t seen this deluge of abuse Hilton gets. Much of the stuff labelled as such is just strong worded criticism. If there is abuse, it may be best to separate the two, because too often criticism just gets lumped in as abuse, seemingly.

RichgyRichgy
    Participant
    Registered On: May 29, 2022
    Topics: 6

The only issue with not having an academy is if a ‘big one ‘ comes out of Scunthorpe but has to go to another club because they are not at academy status .

I know we picked up Grayson Giles who had a very good goalscoring record for Scunthorpe and Hull have picked up 3 (I think ) who have good potential , and then the keeper aswell – it’s risk V reward isn’t it but the reality is you are one ‘big one ‘ away from making a massive difference to a club mainly from sell on fees if you bring one through – Kilman is going to make Maidenhead around 8 million quid , the 2 keepers from Carlisle – Trafford and Henderson will make them serious money .

It’s not likely but without academy status virtually impossible to pick up the one’s who will ‘make it ‘ as once they reach a good level with the youth age teams Patricks talking about they will just be picked off by clubs with academies .

ironfromafarironfromafar
    Participant
    Registered On: October 10, 2021
    Topics: 19

i be interested to hear from any members who have spoke to David Hilton face to face to get an idea about how they perceived him .. from the Brigg game pics he looked like a man under immense pressure , not happy at all where as at Ilkeston more smiles.

I truly hope this clusterfook of a situation can be sorted and DH and JD go on to get SUFC back up the footballing pyramid.

BTW Patrick what was the attendance ??

Patrick0811Patrick0811
    Participant

Siderite
    Without wanting to sound rude, of you have not seen the abuse and insults on a daily basis to hilton and Dean you must be living on Mars…. or need an appointment at Specsavers.
    He has been called a drug dealer, money launderer in Spain, fraudster, and the usual suspects would have in jailed if his library books were a day late…. sorry it has not been criticism or debate but pure hatred especially on this forum.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    Registered On:

So, is it going to cost the boys to play for the SUFC Representatives teams at U7s to U16s?

Monthly / yearly “subscription”?

Dads for coaches?

Where will they train & play?

SideriteSiderite
    Participant

Siderite
    Without wanting to sound rude, of you have not seen the abuse and insults on a daily basis to hilton and Dean you must be living on Mars…. or need an appointment at Specsavers.
    He has been called a drug dealer, money launderer in Spain, fraudster, and the usual suspects would have in jailed if his library books were a day late…. sorry it has not been criticism or debate but pure hatred especially on this forum.

The drug dealer rubbish came from a document by an unknown person. Most of the comments on here have been critique and should not be conflated with this rubbish.

Regardless, existence of such malicious rumours does not make him immune from critique for decisions and those critiquing should not be dismissed. This is not the same as that drug dealer rubbish.

Patrick0811Patrick0811
    Participant

Hi Ironfromafar
    I am not certain but did hear 1200 and people say they expected more Scunny fans..will check today and come back to you later…

RichgyRichgy
    Participant
    Registered On: May 29, 2022
    Topics: 6

I think most people from a neutral perspective think any sort of personal abuse is wrong , but from a balanced perspective he has given plenty back as seen by the early days on Twitter and most recently Facebook . Their is a difference between personal abuse and genuine questions of concern about the club and at times that has become fuzzy at best.

I think this forum has brought up some good points , obviously you will always get people with agendas both for and against someone but once you put that to one side there are some good points raised and genuine questions of concern.

Good luck for your team next season ,I noticed you have Leroy Lita up top he was some player back in the day .

Anonymous
    Inactive
    Registered On:

The only issue with not having an academy is if a ‘big one ‘ comes out of Scunthorpe but has to go to another club because they are not at academy status .

I know we picked up Grayson Giles who had a very good goalscoring record for Scunthorpe and Hull have picked up 3 (I think ) who have good potential , and then the keeper aswell – it’s risk V reward isn’t it but the reality is you are one ‘big one ‘ away from making a massive difference to a club mainly from sell on fees if you bring one through – Kilman is going to make Maidenhead around 8 million quid , the 2 keepers from Carlisle – Trafford and Henderson will make them serious money .

It’s not likely but without academy status virtually impossible to pick up the one’s who will ‘make it ‘ as once they reach a good level with the youth age teams Patricks talking about they will just be picked off by clubs with academies .

No EFL academy will mean that the quality of players playing for the U7 to U16 SUFC Reps teams will decline.

The ‘fishing waters’ in and around Scunthorpe will become ‘International waters’ and the EFL clubs will ‘hook’ any kids with any potential.

We could see Hull, Leeds, Sheff Utd open development centres in Scunthorpe.

Hull or a PAYP (pay as you play) SUFC Reps team… you have to hold the cards to win at poker!

SideriteSiderite
    Participant

I think most people from a neutral perspective think any sort of personal abuse is wrong , but from a balanced perspective he has given plenty back as seen by the early days on Twitter and most recently Facebook . Their is a difference between personal abuse and genuine questions of concern about the club and at times that has become fuzzy at best.

I think this forum has brought up some good points , obviously you will always get people with agendas both for and against someone but once you put that to one side there are some good points raised and genuine questions of concern.

Good luck for your team next season ,I noticed you have Leroy Lita up top he was some player back in the day .

Yep. I reiterate that abuse is wrong. I just don’t like how this seems to be being conflated with strong critique as a means to be dismissed. The drug dealer stuff was silly and malicious. It wasn’t created by anyone on here, and it soon fizzled out because of how unsubstantiated it was.

Patrick0811Patrick0811
    Participant

Yes your right, but why would you let an unknown person/persons spout out pages and pages of abuse day after day, sometimes hour after hour on this Scunthorpe forum?…
    And then some established members on here were sucked in by him easier than a clapped out Dyson, then they started singing from the same hymn sheet and joining the witch hunt against Dave hilton?… and not have the Brains to see that if they allowed it to bring hHilton down it would also bring Scunthorpe down…or to put it more simply..
    If they did the donkey work to drive hilton over a cliff for some anonymous poster, whilst they may have Hilton in the back seat as the car goes over the cliff…. SCUNTHORPE WOULD BE IN THE BOOT… and the dopey idiot driving would have the mentality of a Kamikaze pilot, a suicide bomber, or a turkey voting for Christmas… unless of course they could not give two hosts about scunny utd?

SideriteSiderite
    Participant

Perhaps Hilton should look into that document and look to launch legal action.

Of course the contents of it would cause alarm at the time, given the nature of it. It’s why such libellous material is worthy of court action. We can argue the toss about how many maybe didn’t exercise enough critical thinking at the time, but it’s now seen as nothing. The creator did not spout pages of abuse on here; the document was created elsewhere, and first shared to The Fishy of Grimsby Town. We’re not responsible for the crap posted on some google document which gets shared here.

Scepticism of owners is commonplace. Sometimes it goes overborad, but I don’t want there to be a situation where it’s not allowed. I wouldn’t trust any owner who sees such as abuse. The last owner was thin skinned to criticism and that should have been a red flag.

fans6464
    Registered On: February 14, 2015
    Topics: 444

Even my keyboard makes more sense than Patrick

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.