Chorley (H)

Iron Bru Forums Blast Furnace Chorley (H)

• Author
    cliffbyrnesrightpegCliff Byrne’s Right Peg
    Participant
    Registered On: October 17, 2015
    Topics: 57

A few tough fixtures coming up starting with Chorley this Saturday. They are usually there or there abouts come the end of the year, last season their centre back- Mark Ellis- being the standout when I watched both games.

With S.Shields on Monday I wouldn’t be surprised to see a few changes, perhaps a chance to get some minutes into Carlton.

The team have started well, especially grinding out that result against Needham, would be nice to see if we can step it up a gear against a side who are likely to give us more room within the final third.

Iron 2-0 Chorley.
    Att: 3981

1 user thanked author for this post.
    mkironMK Iron
    Participant
    Registered On: December 23, 2013
    Topics: 46

1-0 home win

AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant
    Registered On: June 20, 2017
    Topics: 160

Don’t forget they’ve lost their superstar to us.

ironfromafarironfromafar
    Participant
    Registered On: October 10, 2021
    Topics: 19

2-2

Deereyme66Deereyme66
    Registered On: May 8, 2017
    Topics: 101

Going for two correct scores on the trot: 2-0. 4,100

another fed up fananother fed up fan
    Participant
    Registered On: May 10, 2022
    Topics: 1

3-1 4198

Rene ArtoisRene Artois
    Participant
    Registered On: September 18, 2023
    Topics: 137

Us 2-1 Them
    Att: 4,321

Iron-aweIron-awe
    Participant
    Registered On: June 21, 2017
    Topics: 11

Iron 3 Chorley 0 just like Kylie I can’t get this clean sheet thing out of my head, I’m sure it will pass once we begin conceding.

ironfromafarironfromafar
    Participant

Iron 3 Chorley 0 just like Kylie I can’t get this clean sheet thing out of my head, I’m sure it will pass once we begin conceding.

I know what you mean re this clean sheet thing hovering in the mind n long may it continue ..

im sure there are some Iron fans thinking we will win every game not concede all season and finish with 138 pts and a goal difference of + 92

Rene ArtoisRene Artois
    Participant
    Registered On: September 18, 2023
    Topics: 137

1-0 & 1-1 were the shortest odds both at 5/1

AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant

Nothing of a game didn’t deserve the lead but will take anything, just started to up the pace and look something like and he takes Whitehall off on 58 mins, hardly got a look in afterwards, poor poor use of subs today to negative why not put the new lad on with Whitehall, a 37 min cameo and all we learn is that he’s fast, hope Butlers learnt something something today “Don’t”take your main goal threat off. And don’t let Evans near the team. Well happy with the point probably more than we deserved.
    Everyone wanted to see Carlton and that remains the same.

lesgeolesgeo
    Participant
    Registered On: December 25, 2013
    Topics: 96

Glad to see Denton in the first half. The very decent player is coming back – albeit slowly.
    I am struggling to see any real shape on the pitch at the moment.
    (A lot of supporters must have watched NM game – they didn’t turn up!)

Iron-aweIron-awe
    Participant

Should have been 3 up before we switched off and gifted them an equaliser, not having a go at Whitehall because he scored again but he missed a hat trick and should have at the very least scored a second. I’ll take 10 points from an opening 12 available it’s a more than decent start and we are still top, two tough games to come and we need to up our performance from today to meet the challenges ahead. Roberts looks so uncomfortable playing the role he is, should start Brogan on Monday in his place IMO.

AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant

And Carltons Beestin and Roberts misses. If Whitehall took all his chances he’d get 100 goals a season and be playing in the premiership 3 goals in 4 games is top notch.
    Can everyone else please stand up.

Iron414Iron414
    Participant
    Registered On: May 30, 2024
    Topics: 0

Really poor performance again, one of the worst I’ve seen at GP in a while and I’m disliking the 3-5-2 (aka 5-3-2) more and more each game. We are offering very little attacking threat, as expected with playing fullbacks as wingbacks and we were lucky to get a point. Our points tally probably masks just how crap we’ve been the last 3. Subs were completely wrong and maybe having 5 subs isn’t as much of an advantage as first thought, as the changes seemed to disrupt what little rhythm we had. But don’t worry Deerey should be along soon to tell us how brilliant we were and that ‘Butlerball’ is the greatest football he’s ever seen. UTI!

2 users thanked author for this post.
    TheJuryeffsOutTheJuryeffsOut
    Participant
    Registered On: April 1, 2023

You really do put some negative garbage out on here Iron414.

Ben2206Ben
    Participant
    Registered On: December 23, 2013
    Topics: 5

The negatives –

After Whitehall went off the ball started coming back towards our goal with more regularity, our hold up play became none existent, he may frustrate but that is one of Whitehall’s strengths holding up and bringing the supporting players into play. If taking off Whitehall was to get Ubaezuonu on, they are two different types of player.

Just because we have 5 substitutes available doesn’t mean we have to make all five. I know it is all about ‘player load according to the GPS’ and we have two games in 72 hours but did we really need all 5 today? The squad has been slimed down so the players know that they will be getting game time so keeping them happy shouldn’t be too much of a problem. Which player expects to be playing all 46 games in this modern age? If we do need to make 5 substitutions, do they need to be made in 5 different occasions surely they can be done in 2 or 3 times (baring injuries).

The 3-5-2 formation promises so much but we are slowly turning it into a 5-3-1-1, inviting teams to attack in the last period of the game. The wing backs need to be encouraged to be available for the full 90 and attack teams using the fact that we are one of the fittest full time teams in the division. If the wing backs are encouraged to bob on and put the balls in the box regularly the we will win more than we lose.

The positives –

We are after 4 games top of the league, have 10 points, have conceded one goal in 360 minutes and scored, the majority of us would have taken that before the season started. Irrespective of who we have played (and we can only play who is in front of us), would we have got 10 points this time last season?

We do look fitter and sharper but I don’t think we have got out of second gear and are still finding our way. When we do hit top gear we will be a force to be reckoned with.

It will be interesting to see where we are before we break for the qualifying round of the cup but if we have mirrored the first 4 games with the next 4 then we’ll be on track.

6 users thanked author for this post.
    cliffbyrnesrightpegCliff Byrne’s Right Peg
    Participant
    Registered On: October 17, 2015
    Topics: 57

Good post Ben.

Didn’t go today, sounded flat and uninspiring with potentially too many subs made.

As you state, a good start points wise even if the performances haven’t matched results and provides us with a good base to work from.

Iron-aweIron-awe
    Participant

The squad has been slimed down, aye good one Ben, guess we’d better call the Ghostbusters.

Participant

Yes good summary Ben, I agree with what you and awaywego say about Whitehall.
    Butler possibly over thought it today with the subs but with Chorley, South Shields and Kidderminster to play in a 6 day period I think he just wanted the best overall fitness for the 3 games. I can’t get to the South Shields game but looking forward to the Kidderminster game on Friday night.

Deereyme66Deereyme66
    Registered On: May 8, 2017
    Topics: 101

Can’t understand why I’ve bugged you so much 414. It’s almost like you’re waiting for failure.

ironfromafarironfromafar
    Participant

listened to commentary and made my ears bleed .. fully understand fans feeling frustrated at what seemed like ANOTHER uninspiring performance lacking attacking intent especially from open flowing football (not set pieces)… jury still out on the set up.

SS won 4-1 away today so big improvement needed for Monday.

Participant

Here’s the clips our highlights won’t show….
    Kouogan handball in the box, their coach yelling “it’s not a free kick” to their lad as Clunan measures up his dropped ball, and Kouogan leaving their player free to score.

cassidystashcassidystash
    Participant
    Registered On: January 4, 2014
    Topics: 104

A performance in the Jimmy Dean style. Are we certain he’s gone?

AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant

Addressing various post all at the same time, our points tally shows how crap this league is just the same as last season rather than crap I would say bang on average.
    The subs like Ben says was it crying out for Whitehall to be replaced no make it 2-0 then yes rest him, and like what Ben said if the game does need changing lets change it do 2 or 3 in one go make the other team have to react to it.
    Probably missed the point from Ben but we did have ten points this time last year. Didn’t see the game being Jimmy esq myself glad the tip tappy has gone, Butler seriously got it wrong yesterday so long as he learns from it that’s the main, lets find a place for Carlton he’s got speed but not at expense of Whitehall.

ironfromafarironfromafar
    Participant

Post removed
    duplicate post of Chorley TV vid already posted.

AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant

Missed one our choice to have 3 games in 6 days.

BarnardFoxtonBarker..BarnardFoxtonBarker..
    Participant
    Registered On: June 28, 2017
    Topics: 0

In my opinion the only sub we needed to make was Boyce because of injury. The others could have been saved to maybe start against South Shields and freshen the team up. With our squad surely a bit of rotation would not harm us.

AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant

One big positive from yesterday was the performance and wow that tackle from Brad mom by a mile.

IronaweIronawe
    Participant
    Registered On: December 31, 2013
    Topics: 40

Butler is young enough to make mistakes and to act upon them. I am concerned about 3-5-2 with the two full backs in the ‘5’. This hasn’t worked at GP and at times the team look like they’re running around trying to work out the formation, and then can quickly sit back to a 5-3-2. Not only that it isn’t a great watch, never has been. Results wise 10 out of 12 is great, two more wins and we’re flying but 3-5-2 hasn’t worked at GP since they started experimenting, Roberts is wasted down the middle, Brogan/Beestinlooks a better option there with Roberts wide in one of the ‘5’ (going on the fact he’ll stick with the formation). Is Shrimtpon injured?

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.