Chesterfield

Iron Bru Forums Blast Furnace Chesterfield

• Author
    mkironMK Iron
    Participant
    Registered On: December 23, 2013
    Topics: 46

Give a Centre Back the managers job and before you know it there’s 5 Centre Backs in the first eleven.

Do we now need to sign 5 more as back up?

1 user thanked author for this post.
    mkironMK Iron
    Participant

Needing a few of those extra centre backs already.

cassidystashcassidystash
    Participant
    Registered On: January 4, 2014
    Topics: 104

Might hold off on that £20 at 15/2.

mistertonmickmistertonmick
    Participant
    Topics: 106

1 great goal, 2 tap ins, 40 minutes before Fitzsimmons made a save, we’ve had efforts but either off target or easy saves

Iron-aweIron-awe
    Participant
    Registered On: June 21, 2017
    Topics: 11

Against a team two divisions above so not a mega surprise, the real test starts next Saturday away at Brackley.

Iron414Iron414
    Participant
    Registered On: May 30, 2024
    Topics: 0

5 at the back under Butler? Who’d of thunk it!

Iron414Iron414
    Participant

On a non-footballing side note the catering was well wide of the mark tonight. Girl serving looked like she was going to go into cardiac arrest at half time and the food was taking far too long to get out. Might the incinerated goat rise like a phoenix from the ashes next season?

Apollo11Apollo11
    Participant
    Registered On: September 21, 2023
    Topics: 37

On a non-footballing side note the catering was well wide of the mark tonight. Girl serving looked like she was going to go into cardiac arrest at half time and the food was taking far too long to get out. Might the incinerated goat rise like a phoenix from the ashes next season?

The food was crap, as well. Basic hot dog – no onions, no ketchup available.

mkironMK Iron
    Participant

Few weeks ago went to Barton for a friendly and thought oh dear we don’t have much of a clue how to play 3 at the back. I didn’t think we had the right centre backs to play the system (i.e. ones that cam play a bit of football) and I didn’t see any wing backs in the squad (just 3 out and out full backs and 2 out and out wingers).

Just watched us play us play Chesterfield who I accept are much higher quality than anyone else we will play this season but sadly have seen nothing tonight or in any of the other friendlies to change my mind since the Barton game. 3 CB’s on the field with 2 full backs (sorry, wing backs) who probably see themselves primarily as centre backs and we still let the likes of Colclough win headers in the 6 yard box.

One of the reasons I dislike 3 centre backs at this level is invariably none of them can play any constructive football. If you compound this by playing out and out defenders as wing backs then 5 of your team offer no creativity.

When your 2 centre midfielders are Scales and Clunan who made about 3 assists and scored about 3 goals between them in a freescoring team last season then that puts an awful lot of pressure on your 10. Not surprisingly Rowley was not up to single handedly creating lots of chances. Not helped by the fact that whenever the midfield got the ball into the centre forward his poor touch set up a Chesterfield counter attack. This happened 4 or 5 times in the first half alone.

Only positive for the Iron was Chesterfield couldn’t be arsed to go on to get 6 or 7.

Will travel to Brackley in hope but very little expectation.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    SideriteSiderite
    Participant
    Registered On: December 12, 2014
    Topics: 78

I doubt the club would have the Goat back after their issues off the field. Saying no more.

billpuntonsghostbillpuntonsghost
    Participant
    Topics: 72

MK Iron’s post is spot on. When you analyse the scoring potential in Butlers scheme of play,the outcome is predictable.

Iron414Iron414
    Participant

I doubt the club would have the Goat back after their issues off the field. Saying no more.

Given they are in the food business I would imagine all of their issues are ‘off the field’? Unless I missed the signing of Mr Stamp as yet another centre half so we can play 10 defenders against Brackley? Jokes aside I’m not aware of the issues you refer to and in any case found their burgers to be a mixed bag last season. Hopefully the new guy can learn from tonight and up the service and quality ahead of the Marine game.

Iron414Iron414
    Participant

Nailed it there MK. Lots of shoe horning players into positions that are not their natural roles all as you’ve highlighted. I didn’t go to Barton but was at the Halifax game despite the result was underwhelmed. Were shaping up to be a defensive side with little creativity. Need someone in the middle of the pitch who can get on the ball, create and contribute with goals too. A little like the one we just waved off to Gateshead. It’s no good having two up front if they aren’t getting the service.

IronaweIronawe
    Participant
    Registered On: December 31, 2013
    Topics: 40

3-5-2 has struggled to work at GP for years (well forever) it’s 5-3-2 and turgid football. Will it work at pub level? Maybe, hopefully, doubtfully. Let’s see how it pans out in competitive football but how many times have we seen 5 deep sitting defenders in this formation?

WonderGoalsWonderGoals
    Participant
    Registered On: December 27, 2013
    Topics: 90

Scales will more than likely start at RWB and Nicholson will start at CB as Butler even said that’s where he’ll be playing. I wouldn’t get too down about us losing to a team with momentum playing two leagues higher.

We played really well against Hartlepool and now we lose against a team a level higher and all the doom and gloom follows.

PaulSanfran49
    Participant
    Topics: 70

You cannot sell a burger without the opportunity of getting onions on it. A not missed former owner started it.

One hopes the person in charge will have everything correct for the 1st home league game when there will be MANY more fans who will hope the new era is also off field !

IronaweIronawe
    Participant
    Registered On: December 31, 2013
    Topics: 40

Pre season is what it is, neither upbeat or downbeat just fitness sharpness formations etc, rather lose all and win v Brackley, but my mind goes back to 3-5-2 days and it never seemed to work, and was quite disappointing to watch. I like two up top but I also like a plan B which Dean never had.

cassidystashcassidystash
    Participant

This being the last pre-season game I would have expected the anticipated 10th August team to have started this game. If they did then we have big problems. Does AB still not know his “best” line up?

adminSST
    Keymaster
    Registered On: December 19, 2013
    Topics: 82

Not too disappointed after last night as they were excellent and will likely be promoted again. For the first half an hour we were chasing shadows. They were quicker, calm on the ball and really clinical. The first goal was outrageously good. We improved after the break, particularly after the first round of subs, which was a good job as there was a worry the score was going to get a bit silly. Butler has got some decisions to make and I’d be shocked if the team that started last night play at Brackley. Denton, Roberts and Brogan have to start and I’d play Scales at RWB ahead of Barrows. I think the big call is Beest or Carlton alongside Whitehall.

AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant
    Registered On: June 20, 2017
    Topics: 160

Even winterton had onions with the hot dogs, were there any chips on offer?

adminSST
    Keymaster
    Registered On: December 19, 2013
    Topics: 82

Options appear limited to pies, sausage rolls, foot long Lincolnshire hot dog and a tinned hot dog

mkironMK Iron
    Participant

Given Butler is obviously going to stand or fall with 3 centre backs then I agree with SST regarding Denton, Roberts and Brogan have to start and also Scales at RWB.

I would also suggest Kouogan, Evans and Nicholson need to be the 3 as they can all pass the ball better than Boyce.

I would probably start with Whitehall and Carlton up front with Beestin getting 30 minutes – probably for Whitehall who has been poor throughout preseason.

One last moan about 3 at the back and then I will shut up about it. Whatever we think were the reasons we didn’t get promoted last season the one thing no-one could blame was our back four. Even Tamworth would have swapped theirs for ours. Why then is that the bit that needs changing? Apart from needing to replace Ogle obviously.

mistertonmickmistertonmick
    Participant
    Topics: 106

I was disappointed with Carlton last night after a decent performance against Halifax, but didn’t like the five at the back which being on the back foot so easily probably caused the three goals, the first was a tremendous finish but it was after we conceded a needless corner, we were three down before Fitzsimmons made a save, but had no chance with the goals, also Andy was so quiet on the side line as Cook was animated all game

cliffbyrnesrightpegCliff Byrne’s Right Peg
    Participant
    Registered On: October 17, 2015
    Topics: 57

The most effective side I saw line up with 3-5-2 were Boston last year; they were excellent at playing the ball through the middle starting with the short Goal kick. The extra presence up front also allowed them to better press and usually force us long.

Teams don’t get the space out wide they once did, players are fitter, faster and stronger and more often than not it ends up as 2 vs 1 for the winger forcing him inside.

You make good points though MK; my concerns are where Roberts fits into the system, and whether the wing backs end up dropping into a 5-3-2 which could be a tough watch and end up with us pissing about with the ball at the back for far too long as we did last year.

The majority of Teams will be happy with a point again and I expect to see 2 banks of 5 posing a challenge for us to break down. Against the better sides, Jimmy came up tactically short and subsequently cost us the title. If Butler can solve that problem, there’s a good chance he will be lifting a title in May.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    AndersonAnderson
    Participant
    Registered On: July 5, 2017
    Topics: 5

Been watching Southgate too much. And we know how that ended up. Let’s see how the line up is on Saturday
    Let’s attack, no teams like that.If you set up to defend you are playing into
    The opponents hands.

fans6464
    Registered On: February 14, 2015
    Topics: 444

Options appear limited to pies, sausage rolls, foot long Lincolnshire hot dog and a tinned hot dog

Cheap tinned hotdogs are the devil’s own revenge on humanity.If our much vaunted catering manager considers these acceptable he’s in for a hard life on this side of the river

cassidystashcassidystash
    Participant

Sorry for repeating myself but I still think that “pick your best 10 outfield players and use a system that plays to their strengths” easily beats ” pick a system and make your players fit into it.” Of course we’ll all have different opinions as to the “best 10” but surely there’s no doubt that Roberts is in it.

mkironMK Iron
    Participant

Agree Cass but you wouldn’t be signing Roberts or Law if you were planning to play 3 at the back.

cassidystashcassidystash
    Participant

How about 3-4-3 with Roberts, Whitehall & Carlton as a front 3. That would pose problems for most opponents you’d think.

lesgeolesgeo
    Participant
    Registered On: December 25, 2013
    Topics: 96

There will surely be a Plan B with AB in charge.
    I am interested to know what will happen if Plan A is failing. (Is 4-4-2 completely out of the window? – Yeah. 3-4-3?)

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.